Offline llama_egg

• Vigilant Green
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 17
  • Zombiefication! Roar!
    • View Profile
Re: CT DS
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 01:47:07 AM »
Zomg, is this possible...can this realreally be fucking possible?

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 01:53:30 AM »
That reviewer guy lost me at
Bottom line: Chrono Trigger is “hands-down the best ‘Japanese RPG’ of all-time”.
To which I feel sad that he hasn't played more quality JRPGs.

On the subject of Chrono Trigger DS, I'll laugh if it's just a port.  I'll also laugh at all the sales it will rake in, regardless if it's a port or not. (especially when you can just emulate it for free)

Either way, it doesn't concern me, as I don't play handheld games.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline scottind

• Melty Waffle
  • Magic Circuits: 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 02:48:19 AM »
whats a quality jrpg?

please dont say ff7...

Offline Lokanas

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • MEGANEZOKUSEI, UNITE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 02:50:05 AM »
Xenogears.
<@SILLYKICK> ARIZONA TEAM, GATTAI!  Lokanas! You form the torso! Tempered! You form the arms! Jaxx will be the fro! Duppy can be the penis! Together we are GREAT ROBOT CHOK-OH

Offline Merrubi

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 03:44:01 AM »
Xenogears.

Favorite RPG of all time.

Offline Jealousy

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 03:47:10 AM »
I love Chrono Trigger (I don't know about calling it the "best," but it's certainly my favorite JRPG), but unless there's new areas and stuff, I don't see any reason to buy this, since I can just emulate it.

That, and I'm getting really sick of Square's hard-on for remaking everything for the handhelds.
'm totally hot and fiscal for you. Lick my hard cash.

Offline scottind

• Melty Waffle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 04:10:27 AM »
Thank TOSE for that, and with bugs...

the FF remakes for DS is a gold mine. I wouldnt mind a 2d port as long as its GOOD, since the last time i played it was back in high school. They should redo the localization though.

Examples of GOOD ports:
Final Fantasy VI Advance
SEGA AGES Phantasy Star Collection

Examples of BAD ports:
Final Fanatsy V Advance
Valkyrie Profile : Lenneth PSP
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions PSP

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
  • Magic Circuits: 159
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 04:17:30 AM »
You forgot Estpolis II for great justice. Best Boss Battle theme and you want to play it again and again.

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 05:12:25 AM »
whats a quality jrpg?

please dont say ff7...

Tales Of ______.
Keyboard crusher who couldn't pull off a proper BNB.

Offline Animeruko

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 7
  • Because its MOE~ MOE~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 05:14:49 AM »
My fave RPG's are the Xenosaga series, Valkyrie Profile series, Xenogears, Star Ocean 2 and alot of the Tales games not all but there is alot that i do like.  I dont like Chrono Trigger and Cross and most FF games. SE has been really lackluster since PS2 and really on Playstation the only games they really got right were PE1 and the FF games.  

Offline scottind

• Melty Waffle
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 08:57:09 AM »
Parasite Eve, seriously??? Even back then i thought the game was a gimmick. Music was nice tho.

A lot of you guys sound like PS1 owners, any Saturn owners? Panzer Dragoon Saga?

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 09:20:10 AM »
Parasite Eve, seriously??? Even back then i thought the game was a gimmick. Music was nice tho.

A lot of you guys sound like PS1 owners, any Saturn owners? Panzer Dragoon Saga?

Both PE1 and 2 were notable games.
Keyboard crusher who couldn't pull off a proper BNB.

Offline Lord Knight

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 71
  • Without love, it is lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 10:53:24 AM »
My fave RPG's are the Xenosaga series, Valkyrie Profile series, Xenogears, Star Ocean 2 and alot of the Tales games not all but there is alot that i do like.  I dont like Chrono Trigger and Cross and most FF games. SE has been really lackluster since PS2 and really on Playstation the only games they really got right were PE1 and the FF games. 

Star Ocean 2 was trash.
Keep climbin', gotta get to the top

Offline ಠ_ಠ Dizzynecro

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 40
  • Doriflectos
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 12:10:09 PM »
whats a quality jrpg?

please dont say ff7...

Tales Of Symphonia
:prinny:
(not saying other tales games weren't)

By the way, Are Melty Blood and Melty Bread different games?

Offline Animeruko

• Spellcaster
  • Because its MOE~ MOE~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 12:58:22 PM »

PE1 was a great game.  not sure what you mean by gimmick but its based on a really good japanese novel.  PE1 actually takes place after the PE movie/novel i think they even mention the happenings in the game.  I dunno if you didnt like it maybe that type of story isnt your thing but the game was good the combat system was pretty badass too back in the day.   It is possible that i hold PE in high regard since it was my first PS game(and only game for a whole year i played it like 400+ times lol) and the game that got me into gaming and RPG's, but its deffinately a classic atleast in my book. I REALLLY like the story of PE, They go into some intresting concepts about Mitochondria.  I dunno definately a great story, I still think it would be intresting to see some tests done on that . . . with people and not insects.

now PE2 was crap they ruined a good game trying to copy the RE series.

Offline scottind

• Melty Waffle
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 01:30:09 PM »
well you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but i put Parasite Eve in those games that haven't aged well over the years. PE1 and PE2 moreso became an exercise in FMV storytelling that i didnt find appealing. The first boss of PE1 she was shooting green triangles at me, even back then i was thinking, "ooookkkay.."

Now that i think about it, a lot of PS1 games dont look too good nowadays as opposed to SNES titles. I'd play Chrono Trigger before i play Chrono Cross

Offline Animeruko

• Spellcaster
  • Because its MOE~ MOE~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 02:18:34 PM »
Well i guess i can understand that, But really since when was graphics what made a game good?  Im not denying i that i  like good grpahics because i love good looking games but atleast for RPG's story has been the main driving factor for me when playing them.  Its the reason ive been dissapointed with all games SE has released on the PS2 and most other games since the PS2 generation ... all flash no substance.  But in the end i guess everyone plays games for whatever reason.  I just hope games dont become all awe and no shock.

btw though it doesnt matter the PE first boss doesnt shoot "triangles" ... i dont recall any bosses shooting "triangles"  PE did use some nice texture effects.  I do however get the point you were trying to make.

My fave RPG's are the Xenosaga series, Valkyrie Profile series, Xenogears, Star Ocean 2 and alot of the Tales games not all but there is alot that i do like.  I dont like Chrono Trigger and Cross and most FF games. SE has been really lackluster since PS2 and really on Playstation the only games they really got right were PE1 and the FF games. 

Star Ocean 2 was trash.
I missed this befor, I loved it, I  dumped loads of hours into that game lol. Now SO3 was trash, good but still trash so it was good trash.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 02:24:31 PM by Animeruko »

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 03:47:47 PM »
whats a quality jrpg?

please dont say ff7...
Ugh, I'd kill myself before supporting any trash FF game.  Valkyrie Profile or Ogre Battle 64 would be my personal pick for top JRPG of all time.  I could name off at least a dozen other games that might be worthy of the title though.

Chrono Trigger was good, but it certainly wasn't the best by any means.  I can understand someone saying it was one of the best of its time, but definitely not of all time.  Also, I'm really tired of Squeenix just trying to cash in on anything that will make fanboys/girls squeal.  Original content beats out a port any day, imo.

And just for the record, I consider Chrono Cross above Chrono Trigger.  On top of the things that made CT famous (new game+, combination skills, lots of side stuff to do that impacts the world), CC had an original battle system, a hefty amount of character customization, and an interesting story with many twists. 
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline llama_egg

• Vigilant Green
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 17
  • Zombiefication! Roar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 05:01:39 PM »
Personally, I would rather see an actual sequel instead of a port, but I'll admit, even as a port, it will have my sales, I won't be able to resist.

Also;
LOS ANGELES, July 2 /PRNewswire/ -- Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of
Square Enix(TM) interactive entertainment products in North America, announced
today that it will release CHRONO TRIGGER(R) in North America this Holiday
season. Remastered exclusively for Nintendo DS(TM), this marks the first time...

In time for Christmas? God yes...

As well as

FEATURES

-- A masterpiece with an engaging and unparalleled storyline, leading to
the discovery of multiple epic conclusions to a journey that transcends time

-- An unprecedented and inspiring musical score created by Yasunori
Mitsuda

-- Intriguing battle system made possible by the unique combination of the
Active Time Battle system and Tech skills

-- Famed character designer Akira Toriyama lends his signature art style
to create the vibrant world that has captivated gamers around the world

-- Taking advantage of the Nintendo DS hardware, CHRONO TRIGGER makes its
way onto the portable platform with all-new dual screen presentation and
Touch-Screen functionality

-- A brand new dungeon and a Wireless Play mode adds exciting new
dimensions to this timeless classicthat the groundbreaking RPG will be available on a handheld console.

So yes, so far, with what little information we have, it's a port that's been updated. But we shall see as time goes on, no?

Source; http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/chrono-trigger-returns-the-timeless,454846.shtml

Offline noradseven

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 10
  • quick doctor what is the patients status?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 08:15:50 PM »
So im going to have to play this like 10 times all over again, :(.  I know I will get this game proably play though about 10 of the endings, I forget how many their were in total, it was surpising how little story line you could accually do and beat the game.

and talking about graphics 2 game series that I did not like, when they got better graphics, was fire emblem on gamecube and wii, and super robot wars on xbox, the battle sequences take way way to long and for some reason they arn't as impressive, as when they were 2D sprites, I would prefer to keep those 2 series handheld please. 

The only thing im looking forward too is that it will be on the DS not the wii/PS3/Xbox , so it will hopefully not of spent its whole HUEG budget this game should have on graphics, and forgot things like fun.

Offline scottind

• Melty Waffle
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 12:02:04 AM »
Valkyrie Profile or Ogre Battle 64 would be my personal pick for top JRPG of all time....

Original content beats out a port any day, imo.

Lenneth... About your performance...
It is magnificent!

-

Original Content does not beat out a port "any day" Next-gen crap is still crap.

Examples:
Megaman X7 & X8
.hack//EVERYTHING
Phantasy Star Universe
Shining Force Anything-After-2

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 03:02:27 AM »
It is magnificent!
=>  My favorite quotes were
Lezard: "They say not to speak unkindly of the dead, so I say, 'Nice try.'"
Freya: "I AM FREYA!  Recall my name on your journey through Hell."

Oh that Freya...  Such a sassy little Aesir! <3

Original Content does not beat out a port "any day" Next-gen crap is still crap.

Examples:
Megaman X7 & X8
.hack//EVERYTHING
Phantasy Star Universe

I hope you aren't implying that any next-gen game is crap.  I mean, yeah, there is a lot of shitty games out there.  There were even more shitty games for the old systems though, if you think back.  Judging the next gen of games as the generation is just getting started is hardly anything to go by.  Just looking at next gen RPGs, there are 3 new IPs that I know of that look extremely promising - Valkyria (ps3), Operation: Darkness (360), and Too Human (360).

I would rather see new original games than port after port of old games.  If I wanted to play old games, I'd go back and play the originals that I already own or emulate for free.  At least original content is something new and potentially interesting.  Even if a game is shit, it could spawn new and improved sequels, potentially introduce something innovative that can be taken and used in better games, or even just give other developers the balls to lay it on the line with a new IP they've been sitting on the back burner.  ANYTHING new is better than just the same old rehashed bs that I've already played to death, imo.  Ports and remakes and sequels without any progression are the kinds of things that stagnate the game industry.
---

Offline Animeruko

• Spellcaster
  • Because its MOE~ MOE~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2008, 05:28:34 AM »
It is magnificent!
=>  My favorite quotes were
Lezard: "They say not to speak unkindly of the dead, so I say, 'Nice try.'"
Freya: "I AM FREYA!  Recall my name on your journey through Hell."

Oh that Freya...  Such a sassy little Aesir! <3

Examples:
Megaman X7 & X8
.hack//EVERYTHING
Phantasy Star Universe

I hope you aren't implying that any next-gen game is crap.  I mean, yeah, there is a lot of shitty games out there.  There were even more shitty games for the old systems though, if you think back.  Judging the next gen of games as the generation is just getting started is hardly anything to go by.  Just looking at next gen RPGs, there are 3 new IPs that I know of that look extremely promising - Valkyria (ps3), Operation: Darkness (360), and Too Human (360).

I would rather see new original games than port after port of old games.  If I wanted to play old games, I'd go back and play the originals that I already own or emulate for free.  At least original content is something new and potentially interesting.  Even if a game is shit, it could spawn new and improved sequels, potentially introduce something innovative that can be taken and used in better games, or even just give other developers the balls to lay it on the line with a new IP they've been sitting on the back burner.  ANYTHING new is better than just the same old rehashed bs that I've already played to death, imo.  Ports and remakes and sequels without any progression are the kinds of things that stagnate the game industry.
Operation Darkness is BADASS even though all the reviewers say it sucks its definately a great game among people who like that sort of game.  Ive been playing it for a few days and i love it.

Offline scottind

• Melty Waffle
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2008, 07:37:18 AM »
I didn't say that. I'm saying just because something is original doesn't make it better, your "fresh is best" argument doesn't hold water. I'd still prefer The Great Gatsby and Rainbow Six over Halo The Novel.

ANYTHING new is better than just the same old rehashed bs that I've already played to death, imo.  Ports and remakes and sequels without any progression are the kinds of things that stagnate the game industry.
I'm not arguing against that, i agree. But give credit where credit is due; Chrono Trigger is THE GAME everyone wanted ported to DS, since the beginning. If it wasn't for Chrono Trigger, your beloved jRPG Xenogears would NEVER have been made.