When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Do you get discouraged when you lose alot even after practicing?  (Read 24211 times)

Offline Kix

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 19
  • Slayer and Galneryus
    • View Profile
Re: Do you get discouraged when you lose alot even after practicing?
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2008, 04:28:45 AM »
Not really because I suck at everything so it's nothing new.
"This port is going to be outdated faster than you can say "Dance Romanesque and unfinished Romancia" -Dizzynecro

Offline DarkSaint

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
  • You already know
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2008, 07:19:34 AM »
Losing makes you better. There is no reason to be discouraged.
<kijea> anyone pick me up for AM4
<kijea> plz
<kijea> i will suck ur dick

Offline The6thFlame

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
  • I saw that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2008, 11:38:48 AM »
I don't know, the feeling of facing harder people then losing feels exciting. At least I know I'm learning. All I can say is that i don't expect myself to win all the time. But like the post before, if I cant find out why I'm losing then I do get frustrated.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 11:51:10 AM by The6thFlame »

Offline Keith

• Melty Muffin
  • Magic Circuits: 15
  • Back from the dead, hell yeah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2008, 05:26:36 PM »
I get pissed when I somehow manage to incorrectly block everything through a match.

Really quite pathetic on my part.
Running H-Kohaku, and I don't want to stop.
Graced by the presence of His Wongness as he ly ped from the heavens and stole everyone's cash.

Offline The6thFlame

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • I saw that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2008, 05:43:19 PM »
I get pissed when I somehow manage to incorrectly block everything through a match.

Really quite pathetic on my part.

Offline Soniti

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 7
  • 。。。
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2008, 07:31:37 PM »
When I lose a lot I keep asking for rematches until the other person doesn't want any more. Practicing against an opponent who is better than you is how you improve, after all. Well... aside from training mode, which I hate.
I used to be able to lose all day and have fun but I get frustrated sometimes when I get owned repeatedly. I need to drill the fact into my subconsciousness that I'm not as good as I think I am.  :prinny: On the other hand, when I lose now, I think about how I lost, rather than to just keep playing and hope it figures itself out.
I'm also like you, Sled. I don't ask for a rematch, just accept the loss and cool off.
I try the be the same way but since MB is my favorite its really hard :-\
Melty is pretty much the only fighting game I take "seriously", but I just acknowledge that I'm pretty much a total scrub and there's a lot of people (aka everyone) WAY better than me. If ANY game gets to the point where it's making you mad, it's time to put the controller down and cool off a bit. Games are supposed to be fun.
Take note of this, MMO addicts. If your MMO is regularly making you mad more than you have having fun, it's about time to quit.

Offline Abstract Nonsense

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • finding comfort in boning a whale
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2008, 08:48:49 PM »
I almost never get discouraged when I lose. Usually I start giggling, I think fighting games are fun, and playing against people who are better than you is a good way to get better. The only time I ever get annoyed is when the reason I lost was because I repeatedly failed to nail a combo I should have, because this implies a personal failure on my part.

I know this guy who is a bit of a dick about losing who I netplay occasionally. See, he has quite a bit more experience than me, and I've been playing against him since I just started, which I think was about a month ago. I think the problem is that I played against him a lot and I adapt at a reasonable pace, so I started improving rapidly and he wasn't expecting me to start beating him in a third of the games we play together so quickly. Whenever I win, I watch in amusement as the cursor immediately drops down to "once again" after the fact.
[01:46] <@BNAK_OF_AFRIKA> would u get a foot job from mech hisui
[01:46] <MrTopHat> Depends, can the feet do anything
[01:46] <Coren> they have motor skates
[01:46] <MrTopHat> : |  [20:39] <Pfhor> I am going to murder all of you

Offline Hier

• Spellcaster
  • Blade Ninja Skills!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2008, 06:47:38 AM »
Depends how bad I lose.
Regardless I usually enjoy a remach to see if it was just a fluke.
But im just sooooo awesome  ;D

Yah, I do though...
For instince, i entered a tournament once and got raped the first round...
Ahh good times.
Wants to order the Limited Edition of MBAA...

Offline Abstract Nonsense

• Spellcaster
  • finding comfort in boning a whale
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2008, 07:09:27 PM »
When I lose a lot I keep asking for rematches until the other person doesn't want any more. Practicing against an opponent who is better than you is how you improve, after all. Well... aside from training mode, which I hate.

Though I'm not going to dispute that this does generally make you better, it should be pointed out that improvement can be sped up DRAMATICALLY if you consciously notice your mistakes and make a deliberate effort to correct them. I think this little fact tends to be overlooked by FAR too many people.
[01:46] <@BNAK_OF_AFRIKA> would u get a foot job from mech hisui
[01:46] <MrTopHat> Depends, can the feet do anything
[01:46] <Coren> they have motor skates
[01:46] <MrTopHat> : |  [20:39] <Pfhor> I am going to murder all of you

Offline Arcrenciel

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2008, 08:38:12 PM »

Though I'm not going to dispute that this does generally make you better, it should be pointed out that improvement can be sped up DRAMATICALLY if you consciously notice your mistakes and make a deliberate effort to correct them. I think this little fact tends to be overlooked by FAR too many people.

Quoted for truth
It helps a lot more if you're able to approach someone who's better than you with the mindset of expecting to lose but in return learning from your matches.  Merely getting your ass kicked grows rather pointless and useless if you're doing the same mistakes over and over again.

Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for feedback (unless of course the player is a douchebag).

To answer the question though, yes, I DO get discouraged when I lose a lot even after practicing.  Moreso when I can't get past my mental blocks and figure out what I'm doing wrong or what I need to work on and how to progress and improve.
Every life lesson I ever needed I learned from Dr. Sub-Zero.

Offline Tempered

• America is free to Satsuki
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • fullscreen j.[c] mixup
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2008, 08:48:19 AM »
If I lose alot after practicing it depends on the situation. If the matches are always close yet I never win I get a little bit steamed because I know its me chokeing and allowing stuff to happen to lose the battle (like running into predictible heats or other attacks ive ran into the past 20 times.) But I play games to have fun and in a tournament setting you dont lose alot since its usually either single or double elimination. so no I dont get mad if I lose alot even after practicing.
During Loser's Finals at NECX:

<Crowd at Jiyuna about to Lose> Na na na naaaa, na na na naaaa, hey hey hey, Goodbyeeee~

Offline ಠ_ಠ Dizzynecro

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 40
  • Doriflectos
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2008, 05:48:15 PM »
Losing makes you better. There is no reason to be discouraged.
TRUTH

By the way, Are Melty Blood and Melty Bread different games?

Offline NinjaNero

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 26
  • Warblackia
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2008, 05:58:00 PM »
I used to but now im used to it but a win against manifesto is common so that brings joy!
"I-P-C-O-N...'
"M?"
"No, N as in.."
"Oh, N, as in knife" "...yes..."

Offline GNdrive

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2008, 06:19:07 PM »
I don't lose. :mystery:
I don't get discouraged.
I get a little annoyed when I lose to scrubs in netplay.not that often but shit happens.

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
  • Magic Circuits: 159
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2008, 11:40:44 AM »
lol practicing. :V

Offline Zyklon-C

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2008, 01:07:25 PM »
Losing is a good thing.
It teaches humility.
I'm a Policeman!

Offline baod

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2008, 07:56:07 AM »
Practicing alone has it's limits. Doesn't matter if I can do omgwtfbbq stuff in pratice mode, I will still lose that poking game against a decent player.

However I do get discouraged having to calibrate my shit all the time. I can open up practice mode and bring up my cutting synch loop to 97% success rate with no visual/sound cue (yhelothar netplay tactic), only to have it go down to 30% the next day.

I do plan on continue playing mb daily for a year or two. If I think about all the time I will spend in practice mode just to not level down.... I wonder if I should switch to warc or something.

Offline mir

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2008, 08:14:19 AM »
Practicing alone has it's limits. Doesn't matter if I can do omgwtfbbq stuff in pratice mode, I will still lose that poking game against a decent player.

OMFG THIS!

They will beat you to all the throws and win the ground pokes. It doesn't matter that they are just winging half-ass combos, they'll win because you can't land your stuff. It really is frustrating at points.

I pretty much stopped practicing the combos (since I can land them somewhat reliably) and went back to basics. IADs on command, better timing on air throws, block strings, etc. Eventually I can see patterns and break through the poking game, but it takes time and effort. I think playing vs someone who has experience with other games helps a lot since it forces me to know my character inside and out as in what normally beats what (excluding bullshit clash...), how to bait stuff, how to halfass combo off a random hit that got through. Sure that type of game isn't very flashy, but apparently half a combo landing into a favorable position is much much better than no combo at all because I couldn't get into that perfect max damage setup I tried in practice.

In short, srs business :D
There's nothing to fear now.

Offline REAL DAKANYA TALK

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 20
  • BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2008, 01:56:28 AM »
Solution: Don't lose.   :mystery:
NERINA IS A MURDERER

Offline MasterT

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2008, 04:37:02 AM »
I just go play someone easier.

Offline DarkSaint

• Spellcaster
  • You already know
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2008, 05:15:25 AM »

How does that help you though. If you're playing someone below your skill level, and you know that they're below your skill level, doesn't that defeat the entire purpose.
<kijea> plz

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2008, 05:18:15 AM »

How does that help you though. If you're playing someone below your skill level, and you know that they're below your skill level, doesn't that defeat the entire purpose.

Makes you feel better through victory (though it might be a total thrashing depending on your opponent's skill level).
Keyboard crusher who couldn't pull off a proper BNB.

Offline DarkSaint

• Spellcaster
  • You already know
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2008, 05:20:43 AM »

Makes you feel better through victory (though it might be a total thrashing depending on your opponent's skill level).

It would be empty to feel good about beating someone you know you can beat. Maybe it's just me, but I don't get satisfaction from winning unless it's someone equal to my level or higher. :mystery:
<kijea> plz

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2008, 05:36:10 AM »
It's just human to feel shitty after losing, you need something (or someone) to displace that dissatisfaction.  :V Of course, there are many ways to cope with it. I wouldn't beat on someone on a lower skill level than myself (I'm a huge VAkiha scrub myself)  :V
Keyboard crusher who couldn't pull off a proper BNB.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2008, 04:06:08 PM »
You know what's odd, I find that I have no qualms to losing, even repeatedly in a row, to anyone EXCEPT for the people that I actually know and trained to help them get to where they are today.  For some reason playing them I end up getting frustrated easily and start playing worse.  It doesn't really make sense.  Maybe it's because I've always been better than them, and I generally feel I should be better due to me knowing how they play very well?  I dunno, but it bothers me somehow.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.