hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Fighting game mechanics [06-06]  (Read 11312 times)

Offline Xavori

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
    • View Profile
Fighting game mechanics [06-06]
« on: May 29, 2008, 07:04:01 PM »
Well, summer's here for me, and I've decided to waste it making my own fighting game.

I just wanted to see how peoples' opinions were on different aspects of fighting games, what I could do to improve the genre, and what to totally avoid. Anyone can voice your opinions, and if possible, try to refer only to the question at hand and not to other peoples' posts-- this is the internet, after all. I know how easily flame wars can begin. :3 But you're all very nice people.

Anyways, here we go. I'll try to add some sort of category to the questions to give some sort of order to it all...
-0) System: My main question. How important is it to have similarities between character controls? For example, every character in Melty has some sort of hitconfirm>ground combo>launcher>aerial combo>air throw, with the exceptions of Sacchin and Kouma, who only omit the aerial hits section. Could you adapt to characters with entirely different movement? Like if a character can only make diagonal jumps, or if a character's dash is actually how they block, or if a character cannot block low hits? I don't mean simple things like different moves, but instead a completely altered way of playing for each character.

[05-29]
-1) Prorate: Usually, damage scaling increases with each hit, but what if there were some moves that actually lowered scaling?
-2) Combos: In games currently on the market, what's your favorite way to prevent infinites? e.g., Melty Blood's 3-wallslam/groundslam rule or Circuit Spark, or Scarlet Weather Rhapsody's system, where each hit adds a certain percentage, and once it hits 100%, the opponent is invincible?
-3) Stage: How important are background elements to you? Do you prefer really influential stages like DoA4's dinosaurs, or nothing at all?
-4) System: Health recovery, yes or no? Building off of Melty, should there be ways to increase red health?
-5) System/Combos: Weight classes? Can I make people learn different combos for characters of different size or falling speed?
-6) Combos: Aesthetically, do you prefer launcher>aerial combos, or ones where you stay on the ground? Do you like ones where you're on the ground but your opponent is juggled in the air, or where you're in the air and your opponent is on the ground?
-7) Stage: Along the same line of thought as the above, should the stage be longer or taller? Or should different stages vary in dimensions?
--+) With different dimensions, characters who utilize wallslam combos, or perhaps wall-jumping, would be more or less effective.
-8) System: How should the system punish projectile spammers, turtling, and button mashing?

[06-02]
-⑨) System: Should every move be able to clash into every other move, except for A attacks? Or should only some of them have clash frames/hitboxes?
-10) System: Should the system punish repeated use of the same move?
-11) Stage: If stages do differ in some way, should I make it mandatory random stage select? Or do you really enjoy picking the stage? If it's about the music, could I just have a jukebox selection instead of a stage selection?
-12) Characters: Do you like attacks that move you, like Ciel's Bladesinger, Mech Hisui's jetpacks, or Sion's airslide? More specifically, could you use a character that moves faster by whiffing attacks than by dashing?
-13) Attacks: Should most ground moves be air-unblockable?
-14) Attacks: What are your opinions on lower- and upper-body invincibility? And why should attacks where a character is on one leg give her lower-body invincibility? Can I make it so they're untechably knocked down if they are hit low?
-15) Attacks: Should attacks that hit certain areas of an opponent deal more damage or have some extra effect, like the above?
-16) System: Should there be a way to force a turn, especially in the air? It would make things like the Sacchin 4-way available to every character, but I'll find a way to prevent this.
-17) System: Should an EX-shield autoshield the rest of that specific move's hits?
-18) Attacks: What's your opinion on persistent projectiles?
-19) System: I'm going to add some sort of throw prevention, but should I make it possible to counter-throw, or just release yourself from it?
-20) System: Should I make different kinds of throws, or make 6/4 throws have different throw prevention commands; for example, if the opponent uses 6AD, you have to press 4AD?
-21) Combos: If you're in a combo, should you be allowed to ground grab as an ender instead of air combo>air grabbing? Warakia seems to have the perfect height to catch an opponent, if you try throwing his ground throw out in a combo.
-22) System: Should I split up attack and clash hitboxes, and have a clash occur whenever two clash hitboxes collide? If so, should clash boxes be larger ((more clashes)) or smaller ((more trade-hits)) than the attack?
-23) System: If you clash, should you be able to do some sort of movement, or should you be forced to attack until someone wins the clash war? For example, a clash war starts, but instead of attacking immediately, I could roll backwards. If the opponent knows I will do this, they can press forward to slide forward and continue the clashing, or use a longer ranged move. One can also dodge upward and up diagonals, but then they can lose completely to an air-unblockable. It's the same case in the air, except one can dodge downward and down diagonals as well.

[06-04]
-24) System: Are there any auxiliary moves ((evade, airdodge, slide?)) that you like? Should only some characters have them?
--+) And which should have a button hotkey, like Melty's A+B to dash?
-25) System: Of the many cooldown-reducing moves like EFZ's Instant Charge and Guilty Gear's Roman Cancel, what parts of them to you like, and what don't you like?
-26) System: Instead of wasting your entire circuit, in the case of Circuit Spark, should I add one that uses up half of your circuit, but allows you to tech in a direction? The opponent could use one of the above and attempt to tech punish.
-27) System: Should there be a way to EX Shield on the first frame of wake-up, at the cost of a large amount of circuit?
-28) System: What should be the consequence of a counter hit? In Melty, it's just added hitstun, but in Scarlet Weather Rhapsody, you have to change your entire combo, since the opponent goes flying.
--+) And aerial counter hit?
-29) System: Should life carry over into the next round? Should circuit? Should you be allowed to sacrifice life to retain circuit, or circuit to retain life?
-30) Characters: Should a character have a move that uses up life to regain circuit, or circuit for life? ((Kamui, Arcana))
-31) Lunch.

[06-06]
http://midoryoku.deviantart.com/art/Futsuu-tte-iuna-87835049
More images in the gallery. Auu... tired. Should I flip the updates around so that the new stuff is at the top of the page?

Even if all you want to do is say something regarding only one of these, please tell me!
---
http://midoryoku.deviantart.com/art/Fighting-Mechanic-cycle01-87399201
So here we are. A possible way to solve turtling, and implement buffs and healing. Remember, only possible, not good. =X
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 01:25:28 AM by Xavori »

Offline noradseven

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 10
  • quick doctor what is the patients status?
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting game mechanics
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 10:22:23 AM »
2) another option is EFZs combo stopping system its pretty cool, check it out.  Plus wall teching is awesomes. Circuit spark/Burst is a must.

3)don't make the backgrounds annoying, and I don't care.

4)Red health should be recoverable somehow

5)for system yes have different weights/sizes

5)don't forget parry/ex-guard, 3 systems I have seen One is hit a button/direction to cause temp block which doesn't interrupt combos, another is to make one that pushes the opponent back If you time it right I forget what that is called but ohh well.

6)All sorts of different combos be careful about giving everyone the same combo though.

8)Punish spammers by having SSBB's move spamming makes the move do less dmg, turtling with GG's guard meter, and button mashing lol make it 2D fighter

*)allow us to cancel our airdashes with an attack please, or attack while airdashing.

*)I assume you are doing this by yourself, you better get some more ppls to help you

characters) make many ppl very weird and have almost a personality with their image like Zappa/Faust/Voldo, this should keep the game interesting 2.

Offline Legendary Blue Shirt

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 170
  • Meanie
    • View Profile
    • Logical Bends
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 10:43:14 AM »
System: How should the system punish projectile spammers, turtling, and button mashing?
Punish new players?  Good luck making your game popular.

Reward good players, don't punish new ones.

Offline RayKona

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 12:07:58 PM »
0) I don't believe that is a good way to create a fighting game. You should be able to have a different feel when playing different characters, but i think that having to change completely the way you play between characters is not a good thing. So maybe make some differences ( some characters have are heavy hitters but not so fast, other can counter quickly, a character that owns in aerial moves...) but try to create a feel that all character belong in the same game.

1)I am a huge supporter of prorate. That idea of moves lowering prorate is not bad, but you must make sure a player can't do that move more than once in a combo string and can't get a huge advantage by doing it as a last hit before a special for example.

2)You have lots of ways to do that, but my favorites are Circuit Spark and a limit to wall slam/ground bounce. And seriously check out EFZ system as Norad said.

3)I must admit i like interactive stages ( DoA's style) but it's not a good thing to overdo  :psyduck:

4)Yeah a way to recover health is good, but how to do it in a way that is not totally copied from another title beats me.

5)Different weight and hitboxes are good ( but please no more neko arc hitbox style  :emo:)

6)Variety is key here imo. Maybe if a character is a heavy hitter it would fit that he can do only ground combos or have limited air abilities ( kouma style) while lighter more agile characters could abuse ( in a good way) of air combos.

7) I believe melty blood's stages are of a perfect size, so maybe start from there?

8)do a good and variated move list for all characters and a spammer/turtler will never get a chance to win vs a good player. And about button mashers: if you create a tech that a player can use to heavily punish the opponent by reading his moves, then you solve the button mashing problems (remember to add a penalty if that tech fails).

Oh and please add some lolis for  :fap: sake.

Offline mewofforcena

• Vigilant Yellow
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 27
  • Anyaaaan~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 12:56:23 PM »
Oh and please add some lolis for  :fap: sake.

SPOKEN LIKE A TRUE BLEEDING BROTHER!

As for the damage scaling, you are reminding me of EFZ's move that set the scaling back to 120% and allowed you to continue the combo. It was limited, of course.

Oh, and preventing a character from blocking low or overhead, it's just too unfair. Although I like the idea of variety.
The April that's farther than May, reversal of limbs

• Spellcaster
  • Meanie
    • View Profile
    • Logical Bends
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 01:17:16 PM »
4)Yeah a way to recover health is good, but how to do it in a way that is not totally copied from another title beats me.
Maybe the concept of "life" is outdated then  :)

Offline ಠ_ಠ Dizzynecro

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 40
  • Doriflectos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 03:55:59 PM »
The system needs clashing its really good, one of the best system choices for any fighting game.
Basically if its in Guilty gear its a good idea, if its in smash brothers its a bad idea,(Except tripping thats FREAKING AWESOME)

By the way, Are Melty Blood and Melty Bread different games?

Offline noradseven

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 06:44:26 PM »
The system needs clashing its really good, one of the best system choices for any fighting game.
Basically if its in Guilty gear its a good idea, if its in smash brothers its a bad idea,(Except tripping thats FREAKING AWESOME)

Tripping is the best mixup evar.

as for chars, have some charater who takes drugs magic pills for a temp boost to an ability, not just more power and more speed like the ability to cancel a move into itself just once during a combo, or something, also make this activate damn fast like really fast to spot ppl from getting punished like hell you can make it like forms which stay on for the duration of the match or like a 10second buff or something, just an idea.  Forms are becoming trendy now.

agreed more loli's  :fap:

the only prob I had with EFZ was no freken balance. kanna was freaking retarded with 3 safe ranged attacks, 2 of which you could do BS combos after connecting, and all of her melee attacks led into 10second air combo, that combined with the fact that you could combo after and into all her supers made it just dumb, and the violen girl lets block while placing musical bombs all over the field was also retarted she could have 18 yes 18 of the damn things on the field, thx god aoko can't have that many or place them as safely, there were a few other chars that were pretty good but those 2 were the worst for me, I played kanna, and some sword/spirt loli.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 07:01:52 PM by noradseven »

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 08:36:23 AM »
I played kanna, and some sword/spirt loli.

Youmu?
Keyboard crusher who couldn't pull off a proper BNB.

Offline noradseven

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 09:49:53 AM »
I played kanna, and some sword/spirt loli.

Youmu?

I think it was her, I just loved catching ppl with her 236236A super, when they were doing attacks cause it came out stupid fast.

Offline Xavori

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 11:21:33 AM »
Aaaahhh... just got back from a-kon... Tired, but sooo happy. I played seven hours of Melty, and got a Sion figurine too. ^____^ Anyways...

Duh there's going to be lolis. It's going to be an all female cast, because males are boring and they all look the same. Female hairstyle and color alone can be used to differentiate characters, but I'm leading more towards a Soul Calibur style, where the weaponry is what sets them apart. >_> And this armory is going to be the weirdest you've seen. But hopefully not in a bad way.

I don't know all of the mechanics of Guilty Gear. I have the PC version, but I don't play it very often. Stupid people spamming Millia's hair-sword-surfboard.
Oh, and I haven't played Brawl yet. My Wii broke.

0) I don't believe that is a good way to create a fighting game. You should be able to have a different feel when playing different characters, but i think that having to change completely the way you play between characters is not a good thing. So maybe make some differences ( some characters have are heavy hitters but not so fast, other can counter quickly, a character that owns in aerial moves...) but try to create a feel that all character belong in the same game.

Maybe I should just steal more Melty mechanics and make styles: A weak, newbie friendly style and a style where the mechanics are changed. Or do you think I should just have three or four "basic" characters and the rest can be specialized?

What I'm really confused about is whether the idea that variability should lie only in changes to speed and power [/oversimplification] that's been prevalent in most fighting games- and games in general- has been around for so long because it works, or because no one has dared to challenge it. So since this is just going to be some freeware doujinshi, I might as well experiment before I start working and money gets involved. I'm going to have some of these weird mechanics involved, but I wanted to find out just how weird I could make them before people can't handle it. However, I guess the only way I could find out is by actually making these characters and letting people use them. You can discuss the topic more, if you want, but I don't feel that it's an issue that can be solved by words.

Oh, and preventing a character from blocking low or overhead, it's just too unfair.
Yes, but it's something unfair for something unfair. What if you couldn't block overheads, but you could never be hit by projectiles, or never thrown? I'm probably not going to go as extreme as total immunity to some attack, but hopefully it illustrates my idea better.

the only prob I had with EFZ was no freken balance.

Well, I'm going to stay a part of the community, so balancing will be quick.

temp boost to an ability
how to do it in a way that is not totally copied from another title beats me.

Give me a day on this and I'll have "something special" concerning this. Stupid copyright issues have me paranoid, so I need to find a place where I get to keep all rights, which is probably only DeviantArt.

The system needs clashing

I figured it was obvious there would be clashing. :3 Total agreement that it's vital to fighting games.

Punish new players?

Ah, sorry, I worded that wrong. I mean, how should a good player be able to punish these things? In Melty, you have EX-shielding for projectiles and throwing for turtling, but can anyone think of different ways to counter each? I've been toying with the idea of "catching" projectiles instead of simply blocking them, and shoving or tripping someone who's turtling-- and if they're air blocking, you could shove them to the ground and they'll take damage or be stunned. I'm also thinking about having a guard meter that only reduces with certain obvious, slow, high prorate, or other severely penalized moves. You wouldn't be able to combo off of these moves, so you would never throw it out randomly unless you knew they would block it. But actually, turtling can be fixed by my "special thing" too.

I had some more questions, but I'll put it off until I can get my mechanic sorted out. I'll be back soon... maybe.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 07:37:53 AM by Xavori »

Offline ಠ_ಠ Dizzynecro

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 40
  • Doriflectos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 02:16:49 PM »

I don't know all of the mechanics of Guilty Gear. I have the PC version, but I don't play it very often. Stupid people spamming Millia's hair-sword-surfboard.
Block low. Move is highy punishable. Millia can do much scarier things to you if you let her.
Good you haven't played brawl its terrible.

I figured it was obvious there would be clashing. :3 Total agreement that it's vital to fighting games.
Clashing is the best thing ever thats why the best newer fighting games (Guilty gear then melty blood, then arcana heart.) have been using it in place of traditional priority.

By the way, Are Melty Blood and Melty Bread different games?

• Spellcaster
  • Meanie
    • View Profile
    • Logical Bends
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 03:39:23 PM »
Did you know that mainstays like King of Fighters and Street Fighter (all of them, for both) don't use a priority system either?
What really happens is that the collision boxes get incredibly funky.

Relevant topic.
http://randomselect.piiym-net.com/forum/index.php?topic=4646.0
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 03:43:50 PM by Insanius »

Offline noradseven

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 04:26:52 PM »

Block low. Move is highy punishable. Millia can do much scarier things to you if you let her.

Still fun as hell though.  Even Indy plays it he even said "I like Ike" in his latest movie.

Offline Xavori

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 07:34:23 PM »

Still fun as hell though.  Even Indy plays it he even said "I like Ike" in his latest movie.
I don't know about you, but hell really just doesn't seem that much fun. =P  :prinny:

Offline Boku

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 12
  • Banana <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 10:40:51 PM »
Ah, sorry, I worded that wrong. I mean, how should a good player be able to punish these things? In Melty, you have EX-shielding for projectiles and throwing for turtling, but can anyone think of different ways to counter each? I've been toying with the idea of "catching" projectiles instead of simply blocking them, and shoving or tripping someone who's turtling-- and if they're air blocking, you could shove them to the ground and they'll take damage or be stunned. I'm also thinking about having a guard meter that only reduces with certain obvious, slow, high prorate, or other severely penalized moves. You wouldn't be able to combo off of these moves, so you would never throw it out randomly unless you knew they would block it. But actually, turtling can be fixed by my "special thing" too.

Throws are a must for any fighter period. Parry systems are also starting to become somewhat standard (even Guilty added Slashback).

IMO Guard Meter should reward aggressiveness and penalize defensiveness. If you're on offense, risking your neck, then the few times you do block, you should take less damage. If you're on defense all the time, then the more you block, the more damage you should take, until you get guardbroken and eat a combo.

As for anti-air blocking, I really like Guilty's mechanic for that, how you can't air-block a ground-based move unless you Faultless Defense. That's not to say you need a Faultless Defense system, but perhaps the only way to "block" a standing move from the air would be parry?

Just throwing my 2 cents in here.
how do i adult behavior to my younger brother?

Offline RayKona

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 11:46:24 PM »
Female hairstyle and color alone can be used to differentiate characters, but I'm leading more towards a Soul Calibur style, where the weaponry is what sets them apart. >_> And this armory is going to be the weirdest you've seen. But hopefully not in a bad way.

Maybe I should just steal more Melty mechanics and make styles: A weak, newbie friendly style and a style where the mechanics are changed. Or do you think I should just have three or four "basic" characters and the rest can be specialized?

What I'm really confused about is whether the idea that variability should lie only in changes to speed and power [/oversimplification] that's been prevalent in most fighting games- and games in general- has been around for so long because it works, or because no one has dared to challenge it.

I guess you answered yourself with the weapon system. Different weapons will induce different play styles ( an anchor weilding girl would never play the same as a syckle user). If the movelist and the strengths and weaknesses are related to the kind of weapon the character uses, i believe you are well in your way of making different characters while keeping a sense that every character belongs to the same game.

IMO Guard Meter should reward aggressiveness and penalize defensiveness. If you're on offense, risking your neck, then the few times you do block, you should take less damage. If you're on defense all the time, then the more you block, the more damage you should take, until you get guardbroken and eat a combo.

That is a nice idea. Maybe create a damage absorption ratio, and whenever you block that percentage would drop 1%. For example first time someone blocks an attack he would not get any damage from it (100% absorption) but on the next one he would get 1% damage. Of course this value would increase when you are not being attacked and would increase even faster when you are attacking ( that way rewarding agressiveness). Maybe when the ratio reaches 75% there would be a guard break, allowing a 2 second stun maybe? :mystery:

« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 11:52:35 PM by RayKona »

Offline mewofforcena

• Vigilant Yellow
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 27
  • Anyaaaan~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 12:52:10 AM »
Actually, I thought of something else as well...

What if characters had moves that could combo, but only on guard crush?
The April that's farther than May, reversal of limbs

Offline Xavori

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 07:37:32 AM »
As for anti-air blocking, I really like Guilty's mechanic for that, how you can't air-block a ground-based move unless you Faultless Defense.

Isn't it the same thing with Melty? You basically are forced to EX Shield on jumpin if your opponent has a good anti-air.

That is a nice idea. Maybe create a damage absorption ratio, and whenever you block that percentage would drop 1%. For example first time someone blocks an attack he would not get any damage from it (100% absorption) but on the next one he would get 1% damage. Of course this value would increase when you are not being attacked and would increase even faster when you are attacking ( that way rewarding agressiveness). Maybe when the ratio reaches 75% there would be a guard break, allowing a 2 second stun maybe?

Hmmmm... so, if we split up turtle punishing into these categories:
-Chip Damage
-Combo Damage ((Damage taken by someone who has turtled for a long time, and say, fails a mix-up. No relation to being Guard Crashed.))
-Guard Crush/Crash/Break ((Yes or no))
would it make it easier to answer?

an anchor weilding girl would never play the same as a syckle user
True, so why is it that May and Axl can jump at the exact same height and speed-- for that matter, why can May jump at all? I'm not going to limit my characters to ground only, of course, but I think that she should be forced to use the walls, or the opponent, to give herself some sort of boost to get into the air. Characters with large guns could use the recoil to lift themselves off, while ones with greatswords would have to polevault off of their weapons.

I don't mind if we continue discussing this; I really respect your opinion. However, if anything, I would include these huge differences just so I could practice balancing characters.

Also, has anyone checked the link to my deviantArt, or is it tl;dr? I'll try to simplify it, if the latter is the case. I'll move the link up to my first post.

Offline Lord Knight

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 71
  • Without love, it is lost
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting game mechanics [06-02]
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 08:07:28 AM »
There is often a girl with a signficantly high bubz rating.

EDIT: Try to make the hitboxes circles instead of squares, square hitboxes are really dumb and abusable. If you can't it's all good.
Keep climbin', gotta get to the top

Offline Xavori

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 04:37:17 PM »
There is often a girl with a signficantly low bubz rating.

EDIT: Try to make the hitboxes circles instead of squares, square hitboxes are really dumb and abusable. If you can't it's all good.
Even if they're older, they'll grow up like Rika.

And I can indeed make circle/oval hitboxes.

Offline Boku

• Spellcaster
  • Banana <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 05:24:43 PM »
As for anti-air blocking, I really like Guilty's mechanic for that, how you can't air-block a ground-based move unless you Faultless Defense.

Isn't it the same thing with Melty? You basically are forced to EX Shield on jumpin if your opponent has a good anti-air.
I'd say MOST moves are air-blockable in MBAC. Most normals and command normals especially. There are some moves that are NOT air-blockable (Akiha 214 A/B/C for instance) that you have to Shield/EX-Shield.

GG on the other hand, you cannot normal air-block a ground based move at all, and HAVE to use Faultless Defense.

(Someone please point out to me if I'm enormously retarded and made an error here. I haven't played either game in I can't remember how long.)

Offline Tempered

• America is free to Satsuki
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • fullscreen j.[c] mixup
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 07:50:21 PM »
you cant air block most ground attacks in MB. maybe a few command moves and EX's and Arc Drives. But for the most part if someone is on the ground and throws out a simple 5a youll get hit if your in the air.
During Loser's Finals at NECX:

<Crowd at Jiyuna about to Lose> Na na na naaaa, na na na naaaa, hey hey hey, Goodbyeeee~

Offline Xavori

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2008, 09:44:24 PM »
Hmmm. I want to promote being in the air, since there are already a large amount of disadvantages ((no momentum control, can't stay in the air for a long time, harder to hit the opponent since you're both moving, etc.)), so I want to make it so you can't just hold block to block an attack, so how about this:

Along the lines of EFZ's Recoil Guard, if you press back ((can't hold; has to go from neutral to back)) within a fairly generous amount of frames, you can block a normally air-unblockable attack. You still have blockstun and chip, so it won't be like a Faultless or EX Shield.

If this is acceptable, the question now is, what about moves that are air-unblockable, but hit multiple times, like Sion's 623 whip spin? I'm thinking of only making the first hit of any attack air-unblockable ((so you need good timing)), but if people want multiple air-unblockable hits, could one "Almost Recoil Guard" once, and be covered for the rest of the hits, or do they need to ARG each? I don't think I'd like to have to 4545454 repeatedly, though, but it wouldn't be very difficult since the timing is very loose.

Offline Boku

• Spellcaster
  • Banana <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 11:26:11 PM »
Hmmm. I want to promote being in the air, since there are already a large amount of disadvantages ((no momentum control, can't stay in the air for a long time, harder to hit the opponent since you're both moving, etc.)), so I want to make it so you can't just hold block to block an attack, so how about this:

Along the lines of EFZ's Recoil Guard, if you press back ((can't hold; has to go from neutral to back)) within a fairly generous amount of frames, you can block a normally air-unblockable attack. You still have blockstun and chip, so it won't be like a Faultless or EX Shield.

If this is acceptable, the question now is, what about moves that are air-unblockable, but hit multiple times, like Sion's 623 whip spin? I'm thinking of only making the first hit of any attack air-unblockable ((so you need good timing)), but if people want multiple air-unblockable hits, could one "Almost Recoil Guard" once, and be covered for the rest of the hits, or do they need to ARG each? I don't think I'd like to have to 4545454 repeatedly, though, but it wouldn't be very difficult since the timing is very loose.
Then what if you give them the option to do both? Say that after they "Recoil Guard", they can continue to RG and take little to no chip damage, or if they don't want to time it properly, they can just hold back and normal block the rest of the hits, but take more chip.

You can also add attacks that HAVE to be multi-part RG'd and can't be RG'd into air-block.