hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Fuck EFNet, let's migrate to something better  (Read 8895 times)

Offline Kaistar

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
Fuck EFNet, let's migrate to something better
« on: April 25, 2007, 02:23:36 PM »
Who's for it? We were tossing the idea around in #mbac because lord knows EFNet is the flakiest set of servers on the planet. No poll because people might hax polls lul. So posts, opinions, debate, arguments, drama, a full-on brawl, let's take it here.

HEAVEN OR HELL
LET'S WOK

Offline sibladeko

• Melty Muffin
    • View Profile
    • FUTAE NO KIWAMI AAAAAAAAAAH!!!
Re: Fuck EFNet, let's migrate to something better
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 02:27:08 PM »
I would not mind at all moving to mizuumi.
Less work on mIRC start for me.
"It's like Marvel with all Cables!"
-jwong on IaMP

Offline Hintalove

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • Conquering Japan, one cabinet at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 02:30:33 PM »
I think it would be dangerous, because Veteru would probably have some epicly long nick, but really, I don't care because HintaLove is the perfect length
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l82/kiwiishungry/omfg.jpg
Ai ga areba heiwa da to dareka ga kuchi ni shiteita
Someone said that "As long as there's love, all will be peaceful"

Offline Kaistar

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 02:39:41 PM »
That's what the tab button is for.

Offline Zanir

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 05:00:45 PM »
I really don't care either way. So yeah, I'm gonna have to go with the mob on this one.
“We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 69
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 05:55:39 PM »
Go to EsperNet. That was I don't have to juggle two networks.

Oh, and it's pretty stable.

Offline f-wlen ice loop

• the troll that slays gods
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 91
  • i did it
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 06:01:56 PM »
Arly likes Esper too, though I think it's kind of amusing to run #mbac on a RPG-oriented server. I'm on there as well, but I'd be under another mysterious nick. Lately Esper's been very flaky.

I offered to host #mbac on Mizuumi a while back, dunno why nobody wants to (how is EFNet is any way, shape, or form more "convenient" when people get randomly klined from a server?)
<fubarduck> hey bell good shit beating kusoru in melty
<fubarduck> he was like "i lost to a long haired asian"
<fubarduck> aaaaaaaaa

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • Magic Circuits: 51
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 06:16:38 PM »
I wouldn't really mind if it moved from EFNet.
<--- "the irony of being one of the least anime people in the anime FGC" - bell

Offline Dipstick

• Poverty Emeritus
  • Melty Waffle
  • Magic Circuits: 61
  • cascade of unrepentant doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 07:29:18 PM »
I'm fairly sure the person who started the channel will never post in this thread, so here is the closest thing to an explanation.

The reason the channel was started on EFNet was because that was where most of the other major fighting game channels are located -- #capcom, #ggxx, #vfhome, etc. are all on EFNet. I think that moving it to a smaller server network would decrease the flow of people into the channel (there are nearly 50 people in the channel right now, wtf?).

I think what this comes down to is that you need to use an EFnet server that sucks less. :V

Also I am openly opposed to moving the channel to Mizuumi for (non?-)obvious reasons.
Worst Nanaya and second worst Ryougi player in the USA

それがわたしのスタンダード!

Offline f-wlen ice loop

• Magus Candidate
  • i did it
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 08:08:17 PM »
I'm fairly sure the person who started the channel will never post in this thread, so here is the closest thing to an explanation.

The reason the channel was started on EFNet was because that was where most of the other major fighting game channels are located -- #capcom, #ggxx, #vfhome, etc. are all on EFNet. I think that moving it to a smaller server network would decrease the flow of people into the channel (there are nearly 50 people in the channel right now, wtf?).

I think what this comes down to is that you need to use an EFnet server that sucks less. :V

Also I am openly opposed to moving the channel to Mizuumi for (non?-)obvious reasons.

Flow of people into the channel is a trivial issue. Running four other fighting game channels on Mizuumi has taught me that people will go to a channel when they know about it, not because they look through /list (and if you can't be arsed to do it on a server with < 30 channels, why the fuck would you do it on EFNet?)

Using an EFNet server that sucks less has nothing to do with it. EFNet's shittiness goes beyond its instability.

And you're not banned from Mizuumi, Dippy, you exiled yourself because you're emo. Though with all your passive aggressive bullshit and general negativity it'd do everyone a favor if I did get rid of you. :V
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 08:11:23 PM by bellreisa »
<fubarduck> aaaaaaaaa

Offline Mailorder

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 34
  • sup
    • View Profile
    • MySpace - Add Me!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 08:53:04 PM »
Don't forget that #hokuto is on EFNet, too!

But yeah, I won't mind a move.

Offline Arlieth Tralare

• Die Zauberwaffe
  • Zaubererkommandant
  • Magic Circuits: 123
  • POW!
    • View Profile
    • Melty Bread
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 01:48:51 AM »
Espernet also has those nifty ChanServ functions. Hmm,
<bellreisa> arly *has* given up 3s
<bellreisa> retired it anyways
<linalys> no he hasn't
<linalys> it lives on in crouch shield
<proxyZAR> and it will die there too lol

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 69
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 02:45:04 AM »
Starting this morning after work, I will create the #MBAC channel on Espernet if it hasn't been created already.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 03:21:50 AM »
Is Espernet just irc.espernet.net?  If so, I'll check it out.  I fully support moving to a better network though.  EFNet is garbage.

I would offer to host on my friend's network, but it seems that Espernet or Mizuumi would be better choices for user traffic.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline Arlieth Tralare

• Die Zauberwaffe
  • Zaubererkommandant
  • Magic Circuits: 123
  • POW!
    • View Profile
    • Melty Bread
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 03:57:35 AM »
#MBAC and #Meltybread both made on Espernet.

You know, in retrospect, there really should be a vote made on this sort of thing, and I'm glad I got to creating the board before a big netsplit occured. Discuss in the chatroom first?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 04:09:05 AM by Arlieth Tralare »
<bellreisa> arly *has* given up 3s
<bellreisa> retired it anyways
<linalys> no he hasn't
<linalys> it lives on in crouch shield
<proxyZAR> and it will die there too lol

Offline Dipstick

• Poverty Emeritus
  • Melty Waffle
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 09:08:32 AM »
Flow of people into the channel is a trivial issue. Running four other fighting game channels on Mizuumi has taught me that people will go to a channel when they know about it, not because they look through /list (and if you can't be arsed to do it on a server with < 30 channels, why the fuck would you do it on EFNet?)

All of the FG channels in question on EFNet are flagged as secret/private, so they would never come up in a /list anyway. That is a non-issue.

Also, moving channels from one obscure network to another obscure network is not the same as moving a channel from a large public network (like EFNet or DALNet or Undernet) to a small private server. If you honestly believe that #mbac would be as big as it is now if it was on your server or some other obscure network than I will just have to disagree with you on that.

Using an EFNet server that sucks less has nothing to do with it. EFNet's shittiness goes beyond its instability.

We don't need to go into EFNet's issues (as I know both of us and several other people posting in this thread know about them), but it is not like every other small network performs better (lol Pyoko). On top of that, I have issues with running a channel on a server where one of the principle operators is also the server admin, as this can create a lot of problems that would not occur on a public server where the people running it just do not give a shit.

Though with all your passive aggressive bullshit and general negativity it'd do everyone a favor if I did get rid of you. :V

I doubt that most people would agree with this assessment (that the community would be better off without me -- I'm not going to deny the passive-aggressive nature or the general negativity, as that would just be retarded).

それがわたしのスタンダード!

Offline f-wlen ice loop

• Magus Candidate
  • i did it
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 10:52:09 AM »

All of the FG channels in question on EFNet are flagged as secret/private, so they would never come up in a /list anyway. That is a non-issue.

Also, moving channels from one obscure network to another obscure network is not the same as moving a channel from a large public network (like EFNet or DALNet or Undernet) to a small private server. If you honestly believe that #mbac would be as big as it is now if it was on your server or some other obscure network than I will just have to disagree with you on that.

We don't need to go into EFNet's issues (as I know both of us and several other people posting in this thread know about them), but it is not like every other small network performs better (lol Pyoko). On top of that, I have issues with running a channel on a server where one of the principle operators is also the server admin, as this can create a lot of problems that would not occur on a public server where the people running it just do not give a shit.

Though with all your passive aggressive bullshit and general negativity it'd do everyone a favor if I did get rid of you. :V

I doubt that most people would agree with this assessment (that the community would be better off without me -- I'm not going to deny the passive-aggressive nature or the general negativity, as that would just be retarded).

1. You contradict yourself by pointing out that all FG chans on EFNet are +ps. First you say that moving it will decrease the flow of people in the channel, then you point out how nobody can find the channel to begin with because it doesn't show up in /list or /whois. Exactly how is this any better than just having the chan on another net entirely?

2. Chan size is largely irrelevant. Half the people there in #MBAC now don't play the game. When have you ever cared about the size of the MB fandom? Aren't you the one always pointing out how nobody plays this game? Why are you so suddenly hung up over the size of the chan and "flow of people"? You're coming up with weak excuses.

3. Pyoko has been stable lately. Far more stable than Espernet, actually. And as far as your perceived "conflict of interest" goes, how is it any different than Arlieth running Meltybread.com and also being a person with vested interest in the game? What's stopping him from taking the site in his own direction? How is running a chan on a network where people don't care somehow better than running it on a net hosted by someone who actually plays the game?

4. You have no idea how much people put up with you, Dippy, and if you do have an inkling of what sort of things have been said about you, you should be glad that people like Chibi are still around to back you up.

I'll end my side of the discussion now before this goes too far. At the end of the day, I don't care where the chan is hosted so as long as it's not EFNet, and I will point out that Sorcery, Esper, and Rizon are all somewhat unstable as far as public networks go. So as long as there's a functioning Chanserv and Nickserv I'll be fine with whatever choice people go with.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 10:54:22 AM by bellreisa »
<fubarduck> aaaaaaaaa

Offline Dipstick

• Poverty Emeritus
  • Melty Waffle
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 12:17:51 PM »
I had this big long post prepared, then I deleted it realizing that airing out dirty laundry in public is not the wisest idea.

I figured that people wanted to grow a community so sticking it on a large public network (especially one with several other fighting game groups already established) was a logical move. Guess not. Then again, the MB community has a history of eschewing bigger groups for their own space for one reason or another (this would be the second time the channel left EFNet, the wiki on ikusat's server, this website). This is not a question of what network provides better services (EFNet's are crap), but what would best serve the community.

If people really want to move it, then whatever. I'm just openly opposed to moving it onto Mizuumi, as previously stated.

それがわたしのスタンダード!

Offline Hintalove

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • Conquering Japan, one cabinet at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2007, 02:39:15 PM »

1. You contradict yourself by pointing out that all FG chans on EFNet are +ps. First you say that moving it will decrease the flow of people in the channel, then you point out how nobody can find the channel to begin with because it doesn't show up in /list or /whois. Exactly how is this any better than just having the chan on another net entirely?

2. Chan size is largely irrelevant. Half the people there in #MBAC now don't play the game. When have you ever cared about the size of the MB fandom? Aren't you the one always pointing out how nobody plays this game? Why are you so suddenly hung up over the size of the chan and "flow of people"? You're coming up with weak excuses.

3. Pyoko has been stable lately. Far more stable than Espernet, actually. And as far as your perceived "conflict of interest" goes, how is it any different than Arlieth running Meltybread.com and also being a person with vested interest in the game? What's stopping him from taking the site in his own direction? How is running a chan on a network where people don't care somehow better than running it on a net hosted by someone who actually plays the game?

4. You have no idea how much people put up with you, Dippy, and if you do have an inkling of what sort of things have been said about you, you should be glad that people like Chibi are still around to back you up.

I'll end my side of the discussion now before this goes too far. At the end of the day, I don't care where the chan is hosted so as long as it's not EFNet, and I will point out that Sorcery, Esper, and Rizon are all somewhat unstable as far as public networks go. So as long as there's a functioning Chanserv and Nickserv I'll be fine with whatever choice people go with.

At least Dippy has a somewhat decent grasp of the game. That's more than you can say for a lot of random ass people that have come into the community recently. Not that there is anything wrong with new blood, I just don't see the point of hating on Dippy. Dippy hates on Dippy enough for everyone.

As for moving the channel, I am against it, but only because I am so lazy that I don't feel like changing my settings for the 1 server I log onto IRC for, just because some people want longer nicks.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l82/kiwiishungry/omfg.jpg
Ai ga areba heiwa da to dareka ga kuchi ni shiteita
Someone said that "As long as there's love, all will be peaceful"

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 03:08:04 PM »
The community needs random ass people though.

And hating on Dippy is standard.

:V
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline Darkshine

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2007, 08:17:50 PM »
Hi. I'm a random-ass person.

>_>