When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Help me please.  (Read 9149 times)

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 125
  • nasty
    • View Profile
Help me please.
« on: April 03, 2007, 04:06:34 PM »
Okay, I'm going to a local anime con in a month, and I was allowed to have a slot for presentation. Since I'll be bored eventually there, I wanted to do a presentation on Melty Blood, even though it's probally the WORST crowd to promote this game to make it bigger, but who knows, maybe we'll pick up a good player or two.

I need help on what everyone remembers from the original Melty Blood, and Re-ACT, like the system, and gameplay.

Info I do remember:
Melty Blood:

Stamina Bar, B or C grabs. Super bar that gradually grew, and built on attack

MBRA:

Blood Heat system, B or C grabs

MBAC:
BC grab button
what the fuck is this game

Offline Zaido

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 51
  • HISATSU - GIIIGAA!! DURIIIRU!! BUREEIIKAA!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Help me please.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 05:42:14 PM »
MBAC BC Grab buttons??

didn't it start at

MBR FT

which started A+D= Grab

and MBAC A+D= Grab

and ReAct uses Direction C?

ReAct used to use liek down down D to activate heat or soemthign
<@Sp00ky> basically ruu got on the stick and started having sex with heart
<@Sp00ky> and she did impossible shit
<@Sp00ky> and arturo died

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • Magic Circuits: 51
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 05:46:29 PM »
Heat Activations in Re-Act were 222D. Original MB had infinites all over the place. So you can tell them that it's pretty clear that the game has come a long way. ???
<--- "the irony of being one of the least anime people in the anime FGC" - bell

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 69
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 12:39:01 AM »
Original MB in much slower than ReAct, and ReACT is slower than Act Cadenza. The game's sound effects changed heavily from ReACT to Act Cadenza, causing them to sound deeper and more damage-inflicting.

Original MB's Arima Miyako had a match victory sound where all the said was "YES!!" while thrusting her first into the air (like she still does). It was absolutely the cutest thing in MB.

Also, check YouTube for the Arc and Ciel Cross Counter.

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • nasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 01:01:13 PM »
Can anyone tell me when AC was FIRST released in arcade?

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 69
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 10:51:23 PM »
Sometime in 2004 is all the info I have at the moment.

Offline Mailorder

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 34
  • sup
    • View Profile
    • MySpace - Add Me!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 11:03:22 PM »
Out of curiosity, what con is this?

Offline Level 0

• Midboss
  • Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
  • Mash A!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 12:43:52 AM »
It's also important to note that the Arcade incarnations of Melty Blood are made using the Naomi engine, which is one of the particularly powerful and common engines for more recent fighting games (the other being Atomiswave, used by ArcSystems and SNK)  Examples of other fighting games made using Naomi are Marvel vs Capcom 2, Dead or Alive 2, Capcom Vs. Snk 2, and more recently, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core.

Unfortunately, I don't know what was used for the PC vers.  :mystery:

I don't know for sure, but I think ReAct was the first time there were two control settings - specifically designed for Keyboard or Joystick.  Of course, this was removed for Act Cadenza, since the primary mode of play is controller.

Kouma, Neko Arc Chaos and Aoko are new characters, only available in Melty Blood vers past MBR Final Tuned.
White Len is only playable in vers. B, which also gives her a moveset that makes her fair game and not total hax.  (as far as I can tell, since I only have access to vids and no actual MB machines out here)

Melty Blood : Act Cadenza marked the first time a difference was formed for shielding with good timing.
These are EX Shield (a well executed shield that allowed for good recovery), and just plain regular old Shield (which could be held at the cost of your Magic Circuit).

Also new to the system is Circuit Spark (a counter that uses up your Magic Circuit), dodge (2+A+B), and Reduce Damage (where you can mash the button to lower damage caused by your opponent).

(information below obtained at arcade-history.com)
Release dates for all MB vers. (except Final Tuned) are as follows:

1. Melty Blood (2002, PC)
2. Melty Blood ReAct (2004, PC)
3. Melty Blood - Act Cadenza (2005)
4. Melty Blood - Act Cadenza ver B. (2006)
I have much to learn.  Evidently I'm one of the few F-Kouma's in the west?  If I get good enough, maybe I can make people see why I like him.

Lolisauce: this is why I'm a loli's best friend
Lolisauce: I bring warmth and fuzziness Lolisauce: and occasionally penis

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 01:27:58 AM »
Also, in response to some confusion to ReAct controls.  You could choose PC mode or AC mode after selecting your character.

PC mode:
Heat Activation = 222D
Throw = 6C or 4C when close enough

AC mode:
Heat Activation = A+B+C
Throw = A+D (as it still is in Act Cadenza)
(this also added in 4/6A+B for dashing as well, I believe)

There was a glitch with PC mode; however, where if your opponent was airborn and within throw distance, any 6C or 4C attack would come out as a throw.  This would always whiff, of course, since the opponent was in the air and you were on the ground.  Problematic, to say the least.

Also, Act Cadenza added in Reverse Beat, which prorates damage when comboing from a higher teir move (I guess you'd call it?) to a lower tier move (for example: C > B or B > A).  The fact that it was a timed proration of damage and multiple Reverse Beats could stack, it could get pretty rough if you weren't careful about it.  (I'm pretty sure everyone knows this well, just listing it for the sake of further completeness of MBR > MBAC differences)

Since Big Sexy posted about reducing damage, that has also changed just since Act Cadenza v.A and console to v.B2 (and CE I assume as well).  Mashing senselessly was okay before, but in the new system you must time your button presses in synch with your enemy's attacks.

Um...in regards to differences between MB and MBR.  All I can really remember at the moment is that the "evil" versions of characters (V.Sion, V.Akiha, Warc, Nanaya, etc) actually were pretty much exact clones of their other (original?) forms.  A major overhaul was done in ReAct and the characters where given their own unique movesets.

Also MBR's arcade mode had 8 battles total I think (whereas MBAC has...what...10 or 12 battles for arcade?), and a bonus boss battle if you didn't use any continues.  The secret boss you fought depended on the character you were playing, as did the normal bosses you'd fight at the midpoint and end of the arcade run.  Bosses were in constant heat though, so they could infinitely use EX and Arc Drives (though I dont think they would ever actually use Arc Drives) and their health would auto regen at around the pace of being in Heat. (I'm pretty sure they weren't in auto Blood Heat.  I don't think they could use Last Arcs, BH Arc Drives, or their health would regen that fast)

MBR also had a set of special "System Modification" options that you could access by holding D when selecting the Options.  These allowed you to alter gameplay mechanics such as: health regen rate in Heat or Blood Heat, how many air jumps/dashes you could do, critical hit rate and damage modifier for criticals, amount of circuit on on round start, etc.

Um...trying to remember other stuff, but kind of failing atm.  If you have any questions it won't be hard to just hop onto the original MB or MBR again to look stuff up for ya though.  I know a fairly good amount about MBR, but not very much at all about the original MB.  I started playing after Final Tuned was already released...so I have only played around in original MB a few times just to see what it was like.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • nasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 09:38:10 PM »
Out of curiosity, what con is this?

Fanime.

And great thanks to those who posted an essay. Shortens the time I need to think of a way to write it out.

Offline Tropsy

• Soul Hacker
  • Magic Circuits: 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 03:45:34 AM »
Just as a note, mashing to reduce damage does work at least in FT (there's a thread about it somewhere on these forums), it's just that no indication is displayed (besides, obviously, a reduction in the damage you take)

I don't really know how detailed you want to get with this (I'm assuming the purpose is to educate/entertain rather than bore to tears), but you can probably find millions of more differences, like G-akiha mode in FT (and maybe older versions), differences in AC's training mode, etc. Gameplay-wise, another difference I can think of is selecting what random moves do by pressing a direction after the usual input (Hisui's stuff throwing and Len's cats (ver. B2 only))

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • nasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 06:49:42 PM »
Okay, this is what I've written up so far. I need to atleast fill maybe... The max time I have up there is 60 minutes. I have videos and stuff and I'll have my friend and I have a couple of exhibition matches.

In the year 2002 the doujin company Type-Moon, maker of the h-game Fate/Stay Night, collaberated with French-Bread to make a fighter named Melty Blood. The game was a spin-off of the original h-game Tsukihime. But instead of 100 percent reading and choosing paths, this game had fights to choose your path. It is reminicent of the story mode in the Guilty Gear XX series. In later version of the game there was an "arcade mode" where you choose a character and fight through different characters that are CPU controlled.

Gameplay is pretty different from most fighters, but some people say it's similar to Guilty Gear, and some say it's similar of the Darkstalker series or Capcom's famous Marvel vs. series.
With 23 playable characters (many of them are alternate versions) you can mix and match various fights with each of the characters.

Melty Blood first started on the PC, you able to play as characters previously featured in Tsukihime: Shiki Tohno, Akiha Tohno, Hisui and Kohaku as a pair, Arcrueid, Ciel, and a Melty Blood exclusive Sion Eltnam Atlasia. The first version only allowed the person to play through the "Story Mode." The game play was flawed, extremly broken, and is alot more different then the gameplay featured in the later games. The game featured a stamina bar, which only allow you to dash a certain amount of times and then you would have to stop dashing and let it regenerate. It also featured slower gameplay, and was not very exciting. Type-Moon released patches to the game to make it more enjoyable, and then later on, Type-Moon released a version that unlocked all of the alternate, and other characters that were seen in the story line. It's unclear as to why Type-Moon did this, but some think that they thought they would not be able to produce any more games, and thus releasing a last patch to fans. There are also translation groups translating the story mode, and is almost fully complete.

Then in 2004, they released an expansion to the game, titled Melty Blood Re-ACT. It furthured the "Arcade mode" version, new gameplay system, such as the Blood Heat system, which is similar to the original Darkstalkers bar. You build meter, and then it hits the max and your in a state where you can do Arc Drive special moves, or go into another state, called Blood Heat where you can do and enchanced Arc Drive or Last Arc moves. It also fixed character balance issues, and alternate version character's movesets and added new characters. Len, Satsuki Yumidaka from Tsukihime, White Len, and another character from Tsukihime Aoko Aozaki, and a joke character Neko Arc. White Len, Aoko, and Neko Arc are only boss characters though and were unable to be played. There were hacked patches released to unlock the boss characters.

Then in 2005, Ecole made an arcade version of this game, using Sega's NAOMI arcade system. Now the NAOMI, is particularly one of the most powerful arcade systems out there, and games such as Capcom vs SNK 2, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core, and Marvel vs Capcom 2. The changes from Re-ACT and Act-Cadenza were a handful. It further modified the game system, adding mashing button to lower combo damage from opponent, a modification on the "shielding" system, now you can use it to be a parry with no disadvantages, or you can hold the button, but  drains your heat bar. A circuit spark was added to the game, allowing the user to escape, similar to the "Burst" system in Guilty Gear XX series, and a dodge was added. You can perform the dodge by pressing down and the A and B button simultaniously. There was also cosmetic changes in the game, like better animation, and effects. Sound quality was changed too, and new stages and soundtracks were added. There were even more characters added, many of them boss characters. Aoko Aozaki, Neko Arc were now playable, and a whole new character Kishima Kouma was added. Kouma was from the Kagetsuya Toya games, the man who assassinated the Nanaya family line.

Then later in 2005, Type-Moon released a final patch to the Re-ACT system, named Final Tuned. The patch allowed the player to play two different styles, the original Re-ACT system, or a system that resembles the Act-Cadenza style, but modified to the gameplay system found in previous Re-ACT versions. This would be the last Melty Blood Re-ACT patch to be released.

In 2006, Ecole and Type-Moon released the Act-Cadenza game onto the Playstation 2 console in Japan. It included the Version A, and a newer version soon to be released for another arcade apperance, Version B. The version B released on PS2 would be a little different from the Arcade release for both versions.

Later in 2006, Ecole released a newer version of the Act-Cadenza series, Version B. It changed some balance issues, and added yet 2 new characters. White Len was now playable, and another version of Neko Arc; Neko Arc Chaos, a further gag on the Neko Arc character and Melty Blood characters. There was a demo released on the PC, making rumours of the game being released once again on the PC arise.

Then in 2007 Ecole released yet another upgrade on the Version B series, Version B Correction Edition. It changed character properties, clash frames, tweeked the system even more, and even drastically changed character tierings. Type-Moon also announced that this version would be released to the PC once again. Rumours have it that Type-Moon did this just incase further updates would be necessary it would just be a download, rather than a whole new game.

Offline dakanya

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 06:56:32 PM »
I'm pretty sure Melty Blood has been introduced at Fanime at least once. I found a thread or two on their forums when I was looking for Norcal communities. You might wanna check those out, get some cooperation and assistance maybe.
thundering waterfalls

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 07:03:33 PM »
Don't forget that MB was originally an April Fool's joke.

:V
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline Safaia

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 09:48:38 PM »
Fanime, eh?  Do you know what day/time?  I know they're notorious for being late on things, but you never know.
Boys do not exist on the Internet. You're just pretending to be a guy to get attention!

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • nasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 05:58:16 PM »
friday-monday all day. Seriously.

Offline Safaia

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2007, 08:05:34 PM »
 :V ...I meant your panel/presentation. XD 
Boys do not exist on the Internet. You're just pretending to be a guy to get attention!

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • nasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2007, 09:28:22 PM »
My schedule says Friday 7pm. at Panel room 1 I think.

Offline pherai

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 25
    • View Profile
    • pherai.net
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2007, 04:12:17 PM »
Do you think people will really be interested in a presentation on how the button commands changed from game to game? I don't even see why thats relevant.
I heard anime expo isn't going to be that good this year...

Offline Arlieth Tralare

• Die Zauberwaffe
  • Zaubererkommandant
  • Magic Circuits: 123
  • POW!
    • View Profile
    • Melty Bread
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2007, 04:21:33 PM »
Hey, be sure to throw in clips of last year's Super Battle Opera between Satoken and ILS. Also, even though it's 60 min max, shorter is always sweeter.
<bellreisa> arly *has* given up 3s
<bellreisa> retired it anyways
<linalys> no he hasn't
<linalys> it lives on in crouch shield
<proxyZAR> and it will die there too lol

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • nasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2007, 01:02:31 AM »
Do you think people will really be interested in a presentation on how the button commands changed from game to game? I don't even see why thats relevant.

Nah, I actually didn't put that down in my presentation I don't think. It got cut out for sure.