hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: In Development  (Read 12475 times)

Offline GodRemixed

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
  • Who's your Id?
    • View Profile
In Development
« on: March 30, 2008, 09:19:11 PM »
Hi, everyone. I'm currently working on a project, a 2D fighting game. I'd wish not to go into the details until I have a mostly complete game doc.

Anyways, to put it bluntly, I'm looking for hands to work on it. I need 2D sprite artists and a programmer or two. If I need to I'm willing to make a video game engine, I'm capable but I would prefer someone with more programming experience than I have. I'll be done with the game doc enough to show it around probably by next week.

After the game doc I'll be working on the storyline and music. I also plan on writing a non-canon short story for each character, so that the sprite artist can get a feel for the characters. There's also something that I plan on doing for the sprites in this game, but I won't go into detail on it openly.

ATM this is a fan-made 2D fighter, it's not based off anything, but if you're working on it don't expect to get paid immediately. If we can get the game published and distributed then obviously every will get a cut of the profits, but not until then. It won't be a real job, unless we can get a sequel.

I won't take in artists and programmers, yet, but if you're interested or have a few questions, feel free to post or PM me.

Also, I work at the arcade where we host West Toast. If you're in the area, drop by and feel free to talk to me about it. I wear glasses, am really tall, have black hair, and go by Nathan/Nate.
"Why did she have to be sacrificed? Is god dead...? Is he just not there...? Maybe god never existed to begin with! ... If god doesn''t exist in our world, then... I will create god with my own hands!" - Krelian (Xenogears)

Offline Pikachu_Fragger

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • "I'm gonna kick some ass with my own pipe wrench"
    • View Profile
    • The Initial D Roleplaying Stage
Re: In Development
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 03:01:05 AM »
Out of curiosity, what programming language is this in?
At a time like this... I WISH I HAD A DIGITAL CAMERA!

The more beautiful and pure a thing is... the more satisfying it is to corrupt, isn't it?

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
  • Magic Circuits: 159
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 04:51:21 AM »
I would go for your project since I love 2D fighting games, but unfortunately I am currently busy taking over the world doing my own game creation stuff. (since 2002 now X_x)

But let's say that much: An idea is nice to share with. The problem is to find people that are willing to work (finally it IS work) for nothing. I say nothing because they don't know if the project will succeed / will be bought if it's going to reach a final status.
However, I wish you luck that you find some guys.

But if you look for a small job, e.g. character design, you can PM me.

Offline GodRemixed

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Who's your Id?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 07:18:12 AM »
Out of curiosity, what programming language is this in?

I know a few programming languages, but I'll need to refresh my memory if I'm going to be the main programmer (because of that I would prefer to have another programmer, but if I can't get one I'm capable, it would just take more time. I made myself a jack-of-all-trades, so essentially I'm not great at anything, so I know how to program, how to 3D model, how to level design, but not how to be great at all of them). The problem isn't the language in the beginning, it's converting it to PS3's programming code. Fortunately, transferring it to arcade will work with just about any language. Most arcade games run off Windows, or Linux.

But if you look for a small job, e.g. character design, you can PM me.

Thanks for the offer. I've already got a candidate for concept art, but she wouldn't be able to do in-game artwork. She's a comic artist, and a good friend of mine, she's also just been nominated for an award (the name of it eludes me, I think it's something like Shego). Because of the nomination, her artwork pages went from about $28 a page to $222 a page, so she might be too busy for my project.

Yeah, it's a lot of work, but it's unpaid work! At least unpaid until we can get a publisher. Before showing a publisher your project you have to have something completed, and for an indy game, that means unpaid work. But, with a good game doc, concept art and a mostly completed game engine minimum, you can get a publisher for a 2D fighting game. Most 3D games now-a-days you need more than that, but 2D fighting games don't make as much money so it's less of a gamble. However, the worst scenario is that no publisher wants to take us until we have a nearly fully complete game (i.e. we just need beta testers, and then work on a console version, the publisher will also pay for distribution costs). Beta testing ourselves won't be that big a deal, for me. Since I work at an arcade, I can probably put it in the computers for people to play (a lot of people play our computers for Melty Blood), and once it's mostly tweaked out I can put it in a machine.

There's a few companies I'm looking at who could be potential publishers, but most of them haven't taken on a 2D game before. SCEA is a great choice, they take in tons of indy games as long as it's exclusive to PS, hopefully that means I can at least make it for arcade since it would be in the originally programing.

Anyways, as for sprite artwork, I'm sure you already know how much work that would be. BlazBlue and KOF12 come out this year, and this game would end up coming out later than that, it would be suicide to do Melty Blood quality artwork (no offense to everyone here, I love the style, but the quality doesn't compare to the next gen 2D fighters).

I'll keep you guys posted
-Nate
"Why did she have to be sacrificed? Is god dead...? Is he just not there...? Maybe god never existed to begin with! ... If god doesn''t exist in our world, then... I will create god with my own hands!" - Krelian (Xenogears)

Offline pherai

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 25
    • View Profile
    • pherai.net
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 11:40:41 AM »
The problem isn't the language in the beginning, it's converting it to PS3's programming code.

Why the hell would you try to make a game for a platform for which you couldn't get a hold of that platforms API? Microsoft gives out the Xbox 360 API for free.
I heard anime expo isn't going to be that good this year...

Offline DarthTrey

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 02:35:23 PM »
The problem isn't the language in the beginning, it's converting it to PS3's programming code.

Why the hell would you try to make a game for a platform for which you couldn't get a hold of that platforms API? Microsoft gives out the Xbox 360 API for free.

BECAUSE THAT IS LUDACRIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :prinny: :prinny:

Offline GodRemixed

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Who's your Id?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 03:28:26 PM »

Typically, If I'm going to do it for multiple systems, I would program through 360's API, and then convert and debug on the PS3. However, this game will originate on arcade, which is a much more simple format than either. I could then convert it to both systems, but some companies are system exclusive so I'll have to keep that in mind. I only said PS3 because it popped up in my head first, 360 would have the same problem because I'd have to convert the programming for both of them.

Offline Sh1k1

• Vigilant Blue
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 43
  • 「これが… モノを殺すと言うことだ…!」
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 04:03:15 PM »
The 360's API (and consequentially, the Win32 API as well) are open by MS, and it's been said that since the PS3 runs off some flavor of Linux, the API would be made open (as to if that's been done yet, I've no idea though). So I think it'd be easier to port first to the 360, in any case.
FGO Friend Code: 221252074

Offline pherai

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • pherai.net
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 06:55:16 PM »
What does "convert the programming" mean?

Offline GodRemixed

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Who's your Id?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 07:32:17 PM »
What does "convert the programming" mean?
I meant convert the pre-developed coding. You program the game, convert the code you've made (there are converters available for this), then debug.

The 360's API (and consequentially, the Win32 API as well) are open by MS, and it's been said that since the PS3 runs off some flavor of Linux, the API would be made open (as to if that's been done yet, I've no idea though). So I think it'd be easier to port first to the 360, in any case.
You're probably right, I'll have to look into it a bit more. I'm not at the stage of deciding which console I'll convert to. My priority is the arcade version.

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 07:44:51 PM »
If you're writing the game for the 360, would you be using XNA?
Keyboard crusher who couldn't pull off a proper BNB.

Offline pherai

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • pherai.net
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 07:51:04 PM »
I thought pretty much all console games were done in C++, and you just need a dev kit from Sony or whoever to actually make it work for a specific platform. I've never heard of proprietary languages for vg consoles.

Offline GodRemixed

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Who's your Id?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 08:23:58 PM »
I thought pretty much all console games were done in C++, and you just need a dev kit from Sony or whoever to actually make it work for a specific platform. I've never heard of proprietary languages for vg consoles.

I could be wrong about languages, but that's what I heard. I know C++, but I've never made a game for a console. I have some friends of mine who were talking about converting a 360 script to a PS3 script and how annoying it was because of the bugs it created that they had to correct. It might not be the language, but when I was talking to someone about programming in PS2, they were talking about how difficult it was to code.

If almost everything is in C++ that makes my job a hell of a lot easier.

You sound like you know more about this than I do, so I'll research this stuff. I know how to code, but I don't know the details of each console.

Offline pherai

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • pherai.net
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 09:08:08 PM »
Haha well, most of what I "know" is just lurking internet discussions and shit. Sounds to me like your friends aren't good OO designers  :V

But yeah, I think 99% of console games are done in C++. You just need to learn the API so it can work for whatever console you are using, but of course, that's no small task. Do you do any professional programming? Are you a student?

Offline GodRemixed

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Who's your Id?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 09:26:51 PM »
I haven't done any professional programming, though I have taken classes in it. This is why I would prefer someone with more experience to work on that part of the project, but I'm capable if it comes down to me doing it.

I was studying to get into the field of video game development, but I ditched that and am now working on a master's degree in Physics (maybe a doctorate, we'll see). I don't plan on making video games as a career, but a solid project I can do. To be honest, when I think about it, making an engine for a 2D fighting game is one of the easiest engines you can make, (without coughing up 1.5mil for the U3 engine). I was into programming all throughout high school and another 2 years of college, but I'd need to refresh myself before I start something from scratch.

I've been into the fighting game scene a lot more recently because of my current job, that it's pushing me to do a project I was writing about 2 years ago.

P.S. Didn't mean to steal your screenname, I've been using this one for awhile now.

Offline DarthTrey

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 08:18:06 AM »
This topic makes me lol.

You need to do A LOT more research if you think it's as easy as running your code through a program and it auto converts stuff you are sadly mistaken. 

If I were you, I would not even worry about the PS3 at all.  Develop it for Windows/X360 using the XNA package(which uses C# not C++ btw)  IF it succeeds on those two platforms then you can start thinking about the PS3.

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 08:42:25 AM »
Can you give us more details about the game concept once you've gotten it sorted out? What makes your 2D fighter unique?
Keyboard crusher who couldn't pull off a proper BNB.

Offline GodRemixed

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Who's your Id?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 09:24:53 AM »
This topic makes me lol.

You need to do A LOT more research if you think it's as easy as running your code through a program and it auto converts stuff you are sadly mistaken. 

If I were you, I would not even worry about the PS3 at all.  Develop it for Windows/X360 using the XNA package(which uses C# not C++ btw)  IF it succeeds on those two platforms then you can start thinking about the PS3.

Like I had said, I don't plan on it coming out on console initially, most fighting games come out on arcade first. Arcade games can run off of Windows XP, so there's no problem with that. I have never done work for a PS3 or a 360, so that's why I'm uninformed. If we can get to a point where we'd consider porting it to a console I'll do the research for that then, but making a game for Windows XP is the only thing I need to worry about atm.

EDIT: Also, thanks for letting me know about this. This is why I'm discussing it, so I can know what I'm limited on. Do you work for a game company?

Can you give us more details about the game concept once you've gotten it sorted out? What makes your 2D fighter unique?

I'd love to give more details, let me finish the game doc first.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 09:28:37 AM by GodRemixed »

Offline pherai

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • pherai.net
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 12:50:08 PM »

You sure you can't use C++ .NET? I mean, C# is nice, but if you can avoid using it, you won't be totally limiting that code to MS platforms, and he'd have the added benefit of not having to learn a new language. If they force you to use C#, that really sucks.

Offline DarthTrey

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 07:03:22 AM »
This topic makes me lol.

Like I had said, I don't plan on it coming out on console initially, most fighting games come out on arcade first. Arcade games can run off of Windows XP, so there's no problem with that. I have never done work for a PS3 or a 360, so that's why I'm uninformed. If we can get to a point where we'd consider porting it to a console I'll do the research for that then, but making a game for Windows XP is the only thing I need to worry about atm.

EDIT: Also, thanks for letting me know about this. This is why I'm discussing it, so I can know what I'm limited on. Do you work for a game company?

Yes I do, I'm currently a UI programmer at EA Tiburon in Maitland FL(Orlando).

You can most definitely use the .net framework if you choose to, the problem is though that it is a LOT harder to develop for.  When you use XNA it makes it much easier to manage stuff.

Wikipedia for a quick run down of the package.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_XNA

At this point I wouldn't be too concerned with limiting strictly to MS platforms, as the installed user base is large enough for it not to matter(especially for the early stages of the development cycle).  As far as learning a new language, C# is ezmode C++.  Sure there will be some learning that needs to be done, but in the grand scheme of things it's worth it.

You also have to take into consideration that IF you want to sell the game you have to ensure that all your development programs are Legit, otherwise you are setting yourself up for a lot of trouble.

Keep in mind that the XNA package is only like a hundred bucks.  If you want a full version of the MS Visual Studios .net suite you're looking at like a grand easy.

I think your decision to focus solely on Xp is a wise one.  Once you get a solid game running in a windows environment(Which supports controllers / Arcade sticks) you can then focus on broadening your audience.  I mean look at Melty Blood.  It started as a PC game and then evolved into a PS2/arcade game. 

Offline GodRemixed

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Who's your Id?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 08:37:52 AM »
Because I'm not planning on paying anybody who works on this project until/if it makes money, it's better to think of this as a fan-made game for now. Before I get into the serious business of packaging and distribution to arcade, or a port to other consoles, I'm focusing on getting the game done. I can make it for PC like Melty Blood did and then work on porting it to 360 or PS3 if/when the time comes.

I know C++ and C#, but I haven't touched it in 2 years, so I'll research it again. Right now I know I'm at least working on the story and music (I'm using Acid) of the game.

Also, I have a question for anyone who knows. Say I use a pirated version of any particular software I'll be using in the project. If I wanted to distribute it for sale, would I be able to buy all the software and then copy/paste the info, then save it on the legal software? Or do I have to have the legal software straight from the start?

Offline DarthTrey

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 11:32:22 AM »
before you sell you have to have the software legally, As long as you don't try to sell it with unlicensed software you'll be safe.

Offline GodRemixed

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Who's your Id?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 12:10:17 PM »
That's what I thought, thanks.

Offline pherai

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • pherai.net
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 03:25:08 PM »
As far as learning a new language, C# is ezmode C++.  Sure there will be some learning that needs to be done, but in the grand scheme of things it's worth it.

It's also proprietary. Are there even dev environments besides VS that support C#? I like C# as much as the next guy, but how easy it is isn't the only thing to consider when deciding if you're going to learn it.

Offline DarthTrey

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 09:04:09 AM »
As far as learning a new language, C# is ezmode C++.  Sure there will be some learning that needs to be done, but in the grand scheme of things it's worth it.

It's also proprietary. Are there even dev environments besides VS that support C#? I like C# as much as the next guy, but how easy it is isn't the only thing to consider when deciding if you're going to learn it.

Yes and No, again Wikipedia says it better than I ever could(read lots o' examples).

Quote from: Wikipedia
Platform
    Microsoft's current .NET implementation is only available on Windows, and while this only relates to the availability of some non-standard libraries developed by Microsoft, rather than the C# language itself, the .NET runtime's ties to this operating system are seen by some as a drawback.[17][18]. However, there are other environments that support C# programs on Windows, Linux, BSD or Mac OS X, and while some provide a complete implementation of the C# language and CLI, none provide a complete implementation of every library available from Microsoft. See Mono[19] and DotGNU[20] In November of 2002 Microsoft released a 1.0 CLI implementation that worked on Free BSD and Mac OS X 10.2, but the next versions were only made available on Windows.

In short it wouldn't be a total waste of time if it helps make your development easier.