When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Introductory Thread (Take off your shoes, please)  (Read 407105 times)

Offline darkpanzer

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
  • Where my combos at?
    • View Profile
Re: Introductory Thread (Take off your shoes, please)
« Reply #1125 on: February 21, 2010, 03:14:07 PM »
Welcome aboard Kiiroe. I went with Red Arcuied right off that bat because I really liked her, so I say go ahead and go through with Sacchin. Sacchin is apparently easier to manage than my main, so good luck with her. I want to pick her up as well because she really does look fun to mess with.

Also, don't take my advice to seriously compared to other members on here, I'm still really scrubby at this game. again, good luck learning your character.
TvC- Ryu Casshern
MvC2- Matrix
MBAA- C-Warc
SF4- Dictator

Offline Kiiroe

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: February 21, 2010, 03:30:16 PM »
yea thanks guys. i chose the character from just videos and things ive read. The character choice might change cause keep in mind ive never actually played the game.
They observe me operating my automobile,  They are prejudiced

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: February 21, 2010, 05:50:58 PM »
yea thanks guys. i chose the character from just videos and things ive read. The character choice might change cause keep in mind ive never actually played the game.
Cool.  It's generally best to just see how the characters play and try out the one that looks the coolest to you at first.  You'll be more motivated to practice and learn their stuff, rather than picking someone you aren't interested in just because they're an easy to learn char.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 32
  • Atashi-o dare da to omotteru no?
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #1128 on: February 23, 2010, 04:20:57 AM »
Since my first post was in the topic on getting MBAA to run via PCSX2, I'll post myself here.

Nick's Dark Pulse. Been using it since 2002, so don't think I'm some Pokemon freak or something. (Although I must say I do enjoy the Pokemon games.)

I do a bunch of stuff. I'm pretty big on the emulation community, having help run some emulation sites before. I'm pretty well-versed there in just about all regards.

I'm one of the co-founders of the Sega Genesis/Sega Megadrive music site, Project2612.

Diehard Unreal Tournament Junkie. Ranked 56th worldwide at one point in Unreal Tournament 3. Usually I'm not quite that good, but still Top 1000. Haven't played it in awhile though... for that matter, I like most Sci-Fi First Person Shooters, but can't stand the realism ones. Never breathe "Counter-Strike" and "rules" in the same breath near me, or I'll maim you. :)

I honestly forget how I got into Melty Blood. I believe a friend of mine showed me a Nero Chaos sprite and then I dug up a wallpaper and from there I slowly found out about the games. Admittingly, I didn't play Tsukihime or Kagetsu Tohya until embarassingly recently, but now that I've finished them both up I find Melty Blood even more enjoyable, since now I understand everyone's motives, motivations and all that.

Amateur Voice Actor and writer. I've got ideas for a whole bunch of stories written down, I just need to find an artist willing to chip in the OTHER half of the work, since I couldn't draw if my life depended on it really.

Single, but in an online relationship with a girl as wonderfully weird as I am, and she's probably the one person who I can totally be myself around and not freak out. She's wonderful. Hopefully someday we can be closer, but for now...  :(

College graduate, Associate's of Social Sciences. Working on a Bachelor's in Social Work now.

Top 5 characters: Akiha (No, not just due to her defense, I like her character!), Sacchin (It's a given. And she'd better have a route in the Tsuki remake! Nasu's been teasing it forever...), Aoko (Something about a woman who doesn't dress up and can still wreck you), Len (As I've heard in many a video from here, "Fucking Cat!"), Ciel (Good backstory, and amazingly violent considering how she "looks.")

I wonder if Actress Again Current Code does, indeed, become the last version of Melty, if someone will eventually hack its engine more completely. We can put custom music in (kinda) and obviously the thing can be translated, so who knows... maybe eventually someone'll touch up the sprites. Or... dare I say... High-Rez sprites! Heaven have mercy...

Anyway, I'll be around. I'm nowhere near a competitive level player, but I enjoy the series deeply, and I figure that's all that matters, isn't it? :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:27:20 AM by Dark Pulse »
My mom never saw the irony in calling me a son of a bitch.

Offline Warachia

• Apprentice
  • Intangible
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: February 23, 2010, 01:53:28 PM »
Hello there people.

I'm from the UK, completely new to the Melty Blood series and hoping to get good at it.

I currently have MBAC and not MBAA, although I hope to obtain that sometime in the near future.

As for other fighters, I play SF and Tekken.

I was going to say who I've decided to main in MB but I'm sure you can work that out :]

Looking for some people to help me grasp the basics of the game (I've read around but it's nothing like when you have people around to ask questions etc), so if you'd like to help a newbie get better, please PM me =P

Looking forward to getting to know people here (if you'd like to just talk or whatever, feel free to PM me) and to get better at the game.

Offline Tanner

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: February 26, 2010, 10:45:22 AM »
I'll reintroduce myself since I haven't been here in a while.

I use to play mbac a while back and joined the site but mainly lurked.  I played a lot on netplay but eventually gave it up because there were no locals playing (playing online sucks).  About a month ago one of my local SF4/T6 players got mbaa and now a lot of the local Chattanooga players are completely addicted.  Funny thing is we have a tourney tomorrow for SF4 and T6 and we haven't touched those games since we got mbaa.  The person running the tourney is letting us set up mbaa on the side for casuals and possibly set up a bracket if enough people are interested.

Offline MagnusXL

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • j.C Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: February 26, 2010, 08:07:17 PM »
I was going to say who I've decided to main in MB but I'm sure you can work that out :]
Shiki?
Honorary BC Player.

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #1132 on: February 27, 2010, 03:09:06 AM »

Offline YubelPhoenix

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
  • All 3 Knife-wielders are dumb, nuff said!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: February 27, 2010, 05:48:55 AM »

Ryougi Shiki?
Main: C/H/F Akiha. Sub: Anyone who doesn't have a knife, a momoji loop, a gun, a summon, a trenchcoat, who doesn't turn into a cat.

I suck at this game XD

Offline Aci-D

• Apprentice
  • Irony is delicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: February 28, 2010, 10:44:37 PM »
Name's Ichimaru.

I never play fighting games, so Melty Blood is the first one I've actually got into. I got into Melty Blood soon after reading Tsukihime and Kagetsu Tohya. I usually play with Tohno Shiki, but I suck at it so much and tutorials don't really help much because all the notation makes my head dizzy.

As for other things.... I live in Florida, and the nearest Arcade is probably an hour away (and a small one at that). I don't know anyone who also plays MB, so online is my only hope for opponents, even if they can kick my ass in a few combos. :P

I'd appreciate all the help I can get from this forum.

Offline MRHAN

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
  • ||*That Nero Guy*||
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: March 01, 2010, 07:32:11 PM »
Yo guys,

im Emin, but my handle is MRHAN because i like the character from Enter the Dragon (lol.). anyways, im from socal, and my main arcades are FFA and Arcade Infinity. im just learning the game so go easy on me :P and i hope to be more apart of this community!
SoCal Nero Player
Secondary: Nanaya
"Fifty told me go ahead switch the style up and if they hate, then let 'em hate, and watch the money pile up" -Kanye West

Offline meinkampfychair

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: March 08, 2010, 07:06:25 AM »
hi there.  im 25, currently living in san antonio texas, nearest arcade machine is in austin and im pretty sure theres no local scene although im still new to the area.  still new to the game and hesitating to pick a character to really work on until i get the hang of the game itself and get a feel for how different characters play.  so far, i like red arcueid's style but wallachia has some moves i like.  it usually takes me a while to settle on who to play and until then i just play around with everybody.  gonna take 3x as long with all the moon styles to worry about too, heh.

was a big sf4 and a pretty okay gg accent core player before, maining m. bison(dictator) and potemkin respectively.  i played hakumen in blazblue until a friend of mine figured out how to basically infinite combo with nu and we all ragequit lol.  this was all in juneau alaska, which surprisingly enough has a great fighting game scene with some excellent players.  now that im down here im anxious to hook up with some fighting game nerds again.  anyway i tend to like characters with high power that rely on patience and taking advantage of opponents' mistakes but have a fairly solid pressure/poke game too, as you can see from my previous choices.  haven't found anybody that fits me quite like m.bison does in mbaa yet.

my internet name is from an old gay photoshop joke and im in the middle of reading finnegans wake??? idk

Offline LivingShadow

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 55
  • Sanity is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: March 08, 2010, 07:33:15 AM »
anyway i tend to like characters with high power that rely on patience and taking advantage of opponents' mistakes but have a fairly solid pressure/poke game too, as you can see from my previous choices.  haven't found anybody that fits me quite like m.bison does in mbaa yet.

From your description I'd suggest either F-Kouma or Sacchin.

Offline meinkampfychair

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: March 08, 2010, 07:47:08 AM »
From your description I'd suggest either F-Kouma or Sacchin.

thanks for the suggestions.  i didnt mention it before but f-kouma does seem like he could work for me, i just need to really learn his normals and such.  also there doesnt seem to me to be the emphasis on footsie and spacing like in sf4 so im going to have to adjust my playstyle regardless of who i pick.  dumb question: is "sacchin" satsuki?  if so i suppose she could work too.  ill have to give it some more thought when i have time.

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #1139 on: March 08, 2010, 08:49:16 AM »
Yes, Sacchin is Satsuki.

Some players can make C-Akiha into a good player for your style too. She's got some nice range and good damage.

Offline LivingShadow

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 55
  • Sanity is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: March 08, 2010, 04:43:48 PM »
Also there doesnt seem to me to be the emphasis on footsie and spacing like in sf4 so I'm going to have to adjust my playstyle regardless of who I pick.

(Peeve of mine, improper structure gets on my nerves.)

There's a lot of footsies in Melty, it's just that they're more aerial.

Offline Arlieth Tralare

• Die Zauberwaffe
  • Zaubererkommandant
  • Magic Circuits: 123
  • POW!
    • View Profile
    • Melty Bread
« Reply #1141 on: March 08, 2010, 04:44:38 PM »
Those aren't footsies- they're fucking vectors. HOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA~
<bellreisa> arly *has* given up 3s
<bellreisa> retired it anyways
<linalys> no he hasn't
<linalys> it lives on in crouch shield
<proxyZAR> and it will die there too lol

Offline meinkampfychair

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: March 08, 2010, 06:35:33 PM »
Yes, Sacchin is Satsuki.

Some players can make C-Akiha into a good player for your style too. She's got some nice range and good damage.

i was thinking about her, those fire pits could put pressure on an opponent and her normals have good range, plus that good defense of hers

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #1143 on: March 08, 2010, 07:47:21 PM »
i was thinking about her, those fire pits could put pressure on an opponent and her normals have good range, plus that good defense of hers
Second-best in the game, besides the ridiculously-broken Archetype: Earth.

Yeah. The fire is her general anti-air, her 236 is untechable if the last hit connects, and her 22 can actually suck out opponents' magic circuit and be used for some effective traps.

Her main weaknesses are probably her speed (Decent going forward, not so retreating) and her dashes have a limited range. She's also got a fairly weak air-vs-air game.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: March 08, 2010, 11:15:22 PM »
Second-best in the game, besides the ridiculously-broken Archetype: Earth.

Yeah. The fire is her general anti-air, her 236 is untechable if the last hit connects, and her 22 can actually suck out opponents' magic circuit and be used for some effective traps.

Her main weaknesses are probably her speed (Decent going forward, not so retreating) and her dashes have a limited range. She's also got a fairly weak air-vs-air game.
Her air to air isn't to shabby, I'd say.  Her j.c has pretty good range on it and she can toss out flame tongues to further affect air movement and throw out nice pokes.

From the sounds of it kampfy, you might like C Akiha a lot.  You basically have to be patient and out-zone until you can get someone into the corner, and then you have nice damage corner combos into a life draining command grab (because the highest defense char needs some way to regain life regularly, of course).  Kouma relies a lot less on zoning and a great deal more on being able to out-think your opponent.  Sacchin is...  Well I dunno.  She likes to pretend to be a grappler.  That's about all I can say on her.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #1145 on: March 09, 2010, 01:00:55 AM »
Well, to me it's passable, but there's quite a few characters I figure who could just destroy her air-to-air.

C-Akiha's still generally better played on the ground, I'd say.

Offline meinkampfychair

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: March 09, 2010, 08:25:12 AM »
hm, ill have to give c-akiha a more detailed look then.  side note: im liking f-miyako, she has more of the conventional tools im used to having (some kind of distance-closing special, a decent anti air dp, stuff like that), kinda plays like a tiny lil jam complete with having complementary specials that work well together (like 22b and then 236b followup, or 236b canceled into 623bb).  her range on her normals isnt great but man if you get inside the other guy eats damage like crazy

hell even if youre not a combo monster (and im not heh) you can just mash 2a a few times then 5b 2b 5c 6c 623bb or ex it if you have meter for a good chunk of dmg

oh and not to mention the 22c mindgame.  i love stuff like that, since throws dont really do any damage if i could find a good followup off it id be in business
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 08:33:46 AM by meinkampfychair »

Offline Ultima66

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: March 09, 2010, 11:36:16 AM »
hm, ill have to give c-akiha a more detailed look then.  side note: im liking f-miyako, she has more of the conventional tools im used to having (some kind of distance-closing special, a decent anti air dp, stuff like that), kinda plays like a tiny lil jam complete with having complementary specials that work well together (like 22b and then 236b followup, or 236b canceled into 623bb).  her range on her normals isnt great but man if you get inside the other guy eats damage like crazy

hell even if youre not a combo monster (and im not heh) you can just mash 2a a few times then 5b 2b 5c 6c 623bb or ex it if you have meter for a good chunk of dmg

oh and not to mention the 22c mindgame.  i love stuff like that, since throws dont really do any damage if i could find a good followup off it id be in business
F Miyako 5B and 2B are actually really good normals in terms of range and priority. Her j.B beats everything air to air also, and has a ton of active frames, and j.C has a really big hitbox.

Her bnb works for most of the screen for over 5k all the time and you get at least 4k even coming out of the corner where you can't do her real bnb. Also you can always do 5B 5C 6C into bnb off of throw. It does a little more than 3k.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: March 10, 2010, 01:22:20 AM »

oh and not to mention the 22c mindgame.  i love stuff like that, since throws dont really do any damage if i could find a good followup off it id be in business
F Miyako is who I play.  She's a very strong character, but she lacks depth.  She has one of the highest damage off of basically anything in the game, but her mixups are actually all real gimmicky and somewhat easy to react to.  Also her dp is TRASH.  It's horrible.  Trust me, I eat shit trying to dp all day unless I use the EX one for its startup inv frames (but even that gets beaten out pretty easily).  Because of that she doesn't have a whole lot of defensive options, but her offensive capabilities basically even that out.

You might want to check out more F moon characters in general.  A lot of them play more traditionally compared to the rest of the melty cast.  F Roa, for example, has a solid dp, decent pokes, minor zoning with his vertical lightings, a way to get in and pressure/mixup with 236b, and a good ex reversal 214c.  Many F characters have strong emphasis on their specials or high priority/very safe normals, to make up for their inability to reverse beat.  
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 01:51:56 AM by LoliSauce »
---

Offline meinkampfychair

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: March 10, 2010, 08:49:37 AM »
You might want to check out more F moon characters in general.  A lot of them play more traditionally compared to the rest of the melty cast.  F Roa, for example, has a solid dp, decent pokes, minor zoning with his vertical lightings, a way to get in and pressure/mixup with 236b, and a good ex reversal 214c.  Many F characters have strong emphasis on their specials or high priority/very safe normals, to make up for their inability to reverse beat.  

ill do that, thanks for the tip