When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Introductory Thread (Take off your shoes, please)  (Read 407861 times)

Offline The505

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
  • #maidsports
    • View Profile
Re: Introductory Thread (Take off your shoes, please)
« Reply #1250 on: July 12, 2010, 04:17:01 AM »
Yo. 505 here.

I'm relatively new to fighters. The only one I've played seriously is IaMP, which I've been playing whenever I can for about a year now. I love competitive games and was really into console FPSs for a while. Unfortunately playing nothing but FPSs got stale after 10 years and now I really would like to pick up fighters. I got some good advice saying that if I want to get better at IaMP I should try other fighters. (I feel stupid for not realizing this earlier  :P)

I played MBAA in an arcade in Osaka. I got pounded into the ground and probably spent about 3000 yen but it was so much fun. I could sit there for hours. The only problem is that I don't know how to use a stick. I've used a pad all my life (Even my year of IaMP was all pad action). I got a copy of MBAA but my PC can't run it decently. Getting a new computer soon so I hope that changes.

When I get back to NJ next month, I definitely want to start playing in some local events. I hope to learn a lot here and to have fun playing with all of you!

Oh, I forgot to say what character I play. I played Youmu in IaMP but I don't really know what character fits my playing style (if you can call it that...) in MBAA. I was thinking about C-Ryougi or H-Kohaku. Very open to suggestions.
<Killfiend> God I love melty
<Killfiend> So much comeback potential,yet it doesnt really on retarded mechanics like xfactor and ultras

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 32
  • Atashi-o dare da to omotteru no?
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #1251 on: July 12, 2010, 06:44:09 AM »
Not only mexicans, also argentine people or the other countries of south-america are in this page, Unfortunately we are very far away from United States and the online playing is too laggy, asi que nos tenemos que conformar con jugar casualmente con algun que otro argentino que este en la red o alguien de estados unidos que no le moleste el lag, en fin bienvenido  ;D.
Uh oh. I'm gaining levels in Spanish proficiency again. I read most of that message in English again.

I played MBAA in an arcade in Osaka. I got pounded into the ground and probably spent about 3000 yen but it was so much fun. I could sit there for hours. The only problem is that I don't know how to use a stick. I've used a pad all my life (Even my year of IaMP was all pad action). I got a copy of MBAA but my PC can't run it decently. Getting a new computer soon so I hope that changes.

Oh, I forgot to say what character I play. I played Youmu in IaMP but I don't really know what character fits my playing style (if you can call it that...) in MBAA. I was thinking about C-Ryougi or H-Kohaku. Very open to suggestions.
If you're going to run it via PCSX2, I'm the man you want to talk to. Assuming you're going to emulate it via PCSX2 (as there is no native PC version) you're going to want a Core 2 Duo of some kind - my recommendation would be the E8400. Its stock speed is 3 GHz, it can easily reach 3.4+ GHz on the stock fan and probably even higher with a better quality third-party one. This CPU will emulate MBAA with no problems whatsoever, full speed, as you'll be able to use the fastest (SSE4.1) renderer, as opposed to being forced to use the slowest (SSE2) renderer on any AMD system.

Other than that, not much else you have to worry about. Memory, at least 2-4 GB, and if you're getting 4 GB you'll want to get a 64-bit OS; Win7 x64 is the natural choice ATM. Videocard doesn't matter *TOO* much for PCSX2, but it needs at least Pixel Shader 2.0 and preferably 3.0; any card that's DX10-class hardware or higher, however, is ideal and will be running Pixel Shader 4.0. DX10-class hardware includes GeForce 8 or higher/ATI Radeon HD 2000 or higher; if you want a DX11-class card, be warned they're still somewhat pricey since it's currently the cutting edge; only the very latest GeForce 400 line is DX11 compliant on the nVidia side and on ATI you need at least a Radeon HD 5000 series. However, in the emulator, DX10 and 11 are identical for all intents and purposes, so unless you're a heavy PC gamer, you can save some green there.

As for characters, the usual ones who are tossed out are C-Tohno and C-Nanaya, I believe. Personally, I happen to like C-Akiha. C-Ciel isn't a bad choice either but she takes some work, but when she hits you're always getting nice damage even with lowish 7-hit combos.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 06:54:31 AM by Dark Pulse »
My mom never saw the irony in calling me a son of a bitch.

Offline The505

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • #maidsports
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: July 12, 2010, 09:01:46 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Dark Pulse! This helps a lot! ;D Yea, I'm trying to Emulate on PCSX2. My current laptop is pushing 5 years old and it's age is showing. Would it be ok if I PMed you with some questions on some parts? I would rather not buy a PC and find out that it can't run MBAA smoothly. >.<

I'll try C.Nanaya when I get the chance. I don't know when's the next time I can get to the arcades though.
<Killfiend> So much comeback potential,yet it doesnt really on retarded mechanics like xfactor and ultras

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #1253 on: July 12, 2010, 09:59:59 AM »
Go for it, if you'd like. Of course, the faster, the better, but it comes down really to how much your budget is.

If it's $750-1000, you can get it running pretty much guaranteed. If it's only $500 or so that might be a bit tougher.

Of course, if you're able to reuse stuff out of an existing system, that also drives costs down. If you're buying ENTIRELY new stuff 100%, it might become more like $1000-1500.

Offline Phanther

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: July 12, 2010, 11:43:52 AM »
Hey guys, I was an MBAC player a year back, but quit when MBAA came out. I play Nero, which seems to be a taboo around here. I remember going on the IRC and playing a Ciel player and losing 5-2, but that was a long time ago. Only decided to register now after I got hyped up from watching the EVO finals.

Offline Van_Artic

• Vigilant White
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • Haters Gonna Hate
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube page
« Reply #1255 on: July 12, 2010, 12:22:35 PM »
yo, it's good to see new people after EVO
welcome aboard
<Zelretch> i would pay for a Kouma bedsheet
<Zelretch> seriously i wouldnt mind sleeping with PURE MASCULINITY

<ehrik> does ckouma have any hype combos <setrajonas> 2aaa <ehrik> damn that combo <ehrik> is too hard <ehrik> do you have anything easier

Offline Koyunlu

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: July 12, 2010, 09:48:47 PM »
Hi. I'm Koyunlu, From Tustin (SoCal). I dabbled in MBAC netplay (and once or twice at the arcade, I think?), like, over a year ago, wasn't very good at all, but it was a lot of fun. That died down when MBAA came out, so I haven't been playing the game at all that while. I've been following streams and videos whenever I can, but I didn't know the community was this organized and accessible, and really didn't kow the meltybread forums even existed until the runup to evo. I definitely love MB and am pretty excited to learn AA.

Offline ehrik

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 144
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: July 12, 2010, 10:46:03 PM »
Hi. I'm Koyunlu, From Tustin (SoCal). I dabbled in MBAC netplay (and once or twice at the arcade, I think?), like, over a year ago, wasn't very good at all, but it was a lot of fun. That died down when MBAA came out, so I haven't been playing the game at all that while. I've been following streams and videos whenever I can, but I didn't know the community was this organized and accessible, and really didn't kow the meltybread forums even existed until the runup to evo. I definitely love MB and am pretty excited to learn AA.

Yooo check out the Socal non-AI thread for games. I live in Tustin as well so we can play whenever :>
<Graven> When you are Ciel, don't try to win, don't even try to do anything. The more you do, the stupider and bigger faggot you become because you're using Ciel.
<WyvernLord> roku is faking his disappearance so melty bread can come out and try to convince him of his value to the community

Offline Dogysamich

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Designated Hype Man!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: July 13, 2010, 04:11:18 PM »
What's good.

Some of you all might know me from other games, few of you might know me as "that loud ass nigga from FRXIII", but yeah, finally found the time to start MBAA like I wanted to.... when it first dropped last year. XD

I've been here for a lil bit, but figured I'd come up front and be like

YO WHAT'S GOOD PEOPLE YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

^_^
Kohaku/Hisui Player | Fighting Game Commentator/Player

Follow me on twitter for random updates! https://twitter.com/Dogysamich

Offline Alegretto

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: July 13, 2010, 04:21:12 PM »
Hello!

While im not new to fighting games, im an absolute noob on Melty and still finding my feet. So far i really like C-Miyako, C-Ryougi and H-Loa. Also Aoko but i can't make her work for the life of me.
Anyways, i've loved this game since day one so i hope i can learn not to suck!

Also, i want to try to find online players. I play it on PCSX2 since my PS2 exploded, and am an absolute technoramus.

Nice to meet you.

Offline ehrik

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: July 13, 2010, 04:28:52 PM »
Hey welcome Alegretto and Dogysamich, hope you guys get good games in

@DarkPulse and 505

You know what would be a lot easier and cheaper to run MBAA with? PS2 + modded memory card

No emulator lag to deal with either
<Graven> When you are Ciel, don't try to win, don't even try to do anything. The more you do, the stupider and bigger faggot you become because you're using Ciel.
<WyvernLord> roku is faking his disappearance so melty bread can come out and try to convince him of his value to the community

Offline Coren

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 64
  • Swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: July 13, 2010, 05:28:49 PM »

I suggest you look through the characters, Watch some match videos for the characters http://www.youtube.com/user/MeltyBread, and pick a character who plays the way you like; or who seems cool to you. Sticking to a character and liking them is more important to learning the character than how easy they are anyways.
Combos so bright I gotta wear shades.

Offline Lue

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: July 13, 2010, 05:51:47 PM »
Hello everyone, nice to meet you guys.

I've been playing this game for close to 2 days and I am really loving it.  Hope to learn more about the game and play online with some of you guys.

--Lue

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #1263 on: July 13, 2010, 10:36:31 PM »
Hey welcome Alegretto and Dogysamich, hope you guys get good games in

@DarkPulse and 505

You know what would be a lot easier and cheaper to run MBAA with? PS2 + modded memory card

No emulator lag to deal with either
Have that. I have a PS2 McBoot'd, HD to run the game off of, the works. I still prefer PC over using the actual unit because...

1) TV isn't quite as nice as my monitor. TV will put out 640x448i and has a smaller screen; monitor will pump 2048x1152p and is a wider screen and nearly as tall. No contest.
2) No emulator lag in PCSX2 0.9.7. I've still yet to see anyone prove that the emulator is causing the lag. In emulation, either the whole thing lags or it doesn't - playing a 16 bit game on an emulator certainly isn't causing input lag, is it? That's because your PC can handle that with ease. Of course if it can't get consistent full speed, it's going to lag. My system's more than enough to run Melty lag-free, and indeed, a good bunch of other games as well. (Some 3D games still kill it though...)
3) I can hit F4 to skip the little bit of load times the game does have even while running it off an ISO. The Versus Screen? Yeah, takes about 2-3 seconds with that.

I have my reasons. And I'd love to see proof on the input lag theory, because I've yet to actually see definitive, concrete proof.

Offline The505

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • #maidsports
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: July 14, 2010, 07:01:03 AM »

lol. yeah, It would be cheaper but my PS2 broke about 5 months ago. Since I have a PS3, I didn't really see a need to buy another one. I need to get a new computer anyway, so it's not like I'm going out of my way just for MBAA. Also with an emulator, I can play whenever I have free time. Which is usually downtime at work or school. I don't have to lug around a PS2 and find a TV, I can just use my Laptop since it's at my sides at all times.

Although if my PS2 was working, I would be playing it right now. >.<

I suggest you look through the characters, Watch some match videos for the characters http://www.youtube.com/user/MeltyBread, and pick a character who plays the way you like; or who seems cool to you. Sticking to a character and liking them is more important to learning the character than how easy they are anyways.

Very true. I was just asking if there were any characters like Youmu from IaMP since she is the one I'm most comfortable playing with. The characters that I would like to play would be C-Ryougi or H-Kohaku since they are the most interesting to me. Thanks for the link, I'll definitely be looking up potential charterers.

Offline KOS-MOS

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: July 14, 2010, 08:36:03 AM »
Hello all. This is KOS-MOS and I live in Oklahoma (I was the H-Len player at EVO in pool 2). It was nice meeting everyone there and I'm really interested in getting into the Melty Blood scene (whether it be online or in person). I'd be willing to travel anywhere in the US for tournies or casuals for a weekend (when I have the money :P).

Nice to meet you all =)

Offline Van_Artic

• Vigilant White
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • Haters Gonna Hate
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube page
« Reply #1266 on: July 14, 2010, 08:42:39 AM »
welcome aboard
which version of KOS-MOS are you?  :fap: :fap:
<Zelretch> i would pay for a Kouma bedsheet
<Zelretch> seriously i wouldnt mind sleeping with PURE MASCULINITY

<ehrik> does ckouma have any hype combos <setrajonas> 2aaa <ehrik> damn that combo <ehrik> is too hard <ehrik> do you have anything easier

Offline KOS-MOS

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: July 14, 2010, 09:46:46 AM »
welcome aboard
which version of KOS-MOS are you?  :fap: :fap:

Haha! Version 3 ftw  8-)

Offline Numakie

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 19
  • Oh nooooz~~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: July 14, 2010, 10:52:54 AM »
Hello all. This is KOS-MOS and I live in Oklahoma (I was the H-Len player at EVO in pool 2). It was nice meeting everyone there and I'm really interested in getting into the Melty Blood scene (whether it be online or in person). I'd be willing to travel anywhere in the US for tournies or casuals for a weekend (when I have the money :P).

Nice to meet you all =)

Hi  :)
~~Playing the wrong way... and somehow getting away with it.~~
<Pfhor>: no, I only have nightmares about your play numakie
<Pfhor>: because it makes no fucking sense
<Pfhor>: like WHY IS THIS HISUI DOING THESE THINGS

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #1269 on: July 14, 2010, 10:56:35 AM »
Where in NJ are you 505?
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline The505

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • #maidsports
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: July 14, 2010, 03:53:06 PM »
Where in NJ are you 505?
I'm from a town called Bloomfield, It's between Newark and Montclair. I have family in Hackettstown so I'm also up that way a lot. So yea, North Jersey area.  :toot:

Offline ehrik

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: July 14, 2010, 04:32:44 PM »
DarkPulse: Ok, well go check for input lag using that Guitar hero method or whatever to test. I certainly can't fly over or whatever to test your awesome computer for input lag

505: Just get a used ps2 or something, they're only like 60 bux, why risk it?

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #1272 on: July 15, 2010, 02:48:53 AM »
DarkPulse: Ok, well go check for input lag using that Guitar hero method or whatever to test. I certainly can't fly over or whatever to test your awesome computer for input lag
Don't have Guitar Hero. Don't particularly care for games like that.

Offline The505

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • #maidsports
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: July 15, 2010, 03:09:39 AM »
Just get a used ps2 or something, they're only like 60 bux, why risk it?

I don't understand what I'm risking. I need a new computer, so why not get one that can emulate games and kill two birds with one stone? I probably should get another PS2. I can get one here in Japan but they still run in the neighborhood of $100. I guess I can get a cheap one for $40 like you said and just use Swap Magic or something. I'll probably use both PS2 and Emulator. Like I said, I'm usually not home a lot so being able to play when I have down time at work or school is a big plus for me.  :)

Offline Dintrao

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 7
  • Momiji All Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: July 17, 2010, 04:13:13 AM »
Well, never introduced myself due to not noticing this thread  :slowpoke:

Either way, I'm a Len/Ren player. I've been on the forums for quite a while but never got around to registering until recently. Oh and I'm in Oregon with no scene near me (yay? <.<).
Even though I'm not the best I still try to make it to tournaments so I can get some experience playing against people and meet the members in the community.

:blah:

tl;dr = Hi!

[4c 2c 623b] x ∞