hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Is it just me, or did the member count like double last year alone?  (Read 3490 times)

Offline TheMaster_Rahl

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 41
  • NC Texas Tim
    • View Profile
So this is something I noticed last year. The member count went through the roof last year.
Has anyone noticed a flood of activity from new people in the regional boards?
Not really in the Texas Board.
How about the net play community? Lots of new activity there?
How about on IRC?
I don't remember seeing much in the way of spam posts, just a couple here and there. Are these new accounts like, bot accounts?
Are they foreign accounts, and there are not a lot of new posts or activity because of the language barrier?

Looking at the fourm stats, the trend of a fuck ton of new members is, well, increasing by a fuck ton...
For 2012, Melty Bread saw 3114 new members. That's like 67.8% increase over all the previous years.
For 2013, January alone has seen like 1200 new members so far, more than 1/3 of all last year. That's about 13.5% for Melty Bread's total life time for new members over a 16 day period.

Any insight into this? I'm not really trying to sound like I'm complaining, I'm just curious.

I wonder how many of these accounts that were created over the last year have been logged into more than once, on their creation.

-TexasTim-

Offline Sashi

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 9
  • Scene Killer~
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me, or did the member count like double last year alone?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 01:44:09 PM »
A bunch of people who went on IRC for a week and were never heard from again.
Clmelty: Rokumoe!

Offline TheMaster_Rahl

• Spellcaster
  • NC Texas Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 02:19:36 PM »
A bunch of people who went on IRC for a week and were never heard from again.

Would you say it was like 500-1000 new people in the last 2 weeks? Does the mizuumi server keep stats like that? I'm not convinced that this is a good explanation.

Offline Dipstick

• Poverty Emeritus
  • Melty Waffle
  • Magic Circuits: 61
  • cascade of unrepentant doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 04:45:11 PM »
I've noticed this trend in a number of other sites I follow, even some very large ones. They look to be bots, but I'm not sure what the purpose is.

There is a very basic anti-bot question when signing up; maybe I should change the question and answer.
Worst Nanaya and second worst Ryougi player in the USA

それがわたしのスタンダード!

Offline dumba989

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 7
  • Ambassador of the Secret Society
    • View Profile
    • Secret Society HQ
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 10:42:30 AM »
I've noticed this trend in a number of other sites I follow, even some very large ones. They look to be bots, but I'm not sure what the purpose is.

There is a very basic anti-bot question when signing up; maybe I should change the question and answer.

Yeah I thought it was just me that noticed it but switching it up should give the real #'s
"I used to be a christian then I met anime.. now i practice witchcraft and dark magics."
-Anony on Sankaku

Offline Dipstick

• Poverty Emeritus
  • Melty Waffle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 03:12:39 PM »
There were a couple of extensions that Arlieth used when the forum was first started. They were generally pretty good, but I remember getting irritated by them as I would randomly get blocked at work (by Melty Bread itself, not my workplace's filter).

Never really had a reason to reinstall them into SMF 2.0 -- until now.

それがわたしのスタンダード!

Offline Dipstick

• Poverty Emeritus
  • Melty Waffle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 05:15:28 PM »
On the topic of forum issues, is the main MeltyBread website down for good?
To my knowledge, it works fine. I know just now I saw a random 500 Internal Server Error, but that's due to some anti-DDoS tech. that kicks in with the hosting provider from time to time.

If you wonder why most of the front page videos don't work... well, blame jourdal for that. :p

それがわたしのスタンダード!

Offline TheMaster_Rahl

• Spellcaster
  • NC Texas Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 01:19:15 PM »
I'm pretty sure MeltyBread is super behind in mirroring ranbats from niconico by now, haha.

I think that's Psylocke who updates the youtube page. Though I think he did it in his spare time. I'm not sure why he stopped updating it, but I can guess. No time anymore, or more interested in other things now maybe. Only he would be able to answer that. But there are still lost of places on youtube to get match vids from.

As for the front page, there are several people that can update it or fix issues. Dippy is one.