hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Looking into buying a stick~  (Read 7162 times)

Offline dakanya

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 31
    • View Profile
Looking into buying a stick~
« on: May 01, 2007, 07:23:04 PM »
I'm new to fighting games altogether and I started out on MBR:FT and I still use a keyboard. I've tried a pad but I don't really like it (TK236 with Akiha) and after a while, I've decided I want to play Melty Blood at a high level. So pretty much I dunno anything about sticks and I want to hear some opinions. I've done some research and apparently I should be getting a stick made with Sanwa parts as that's what most arcades use.

I'm not really interested in making my own stick and I've heard that retail sticks only last so long (up to around a year?) and that well built custom sticks can last for 3 to 4 years. Looking for some advice and experience here and if you could point me to some reliable stick makers, that'd be awesome. Thanks for your time!
thundering waterfalls

Offline Sp00ky

• Melty Pancake
  • Magic Circuits: 46
    • View Profile
    • Team Spooky
Re: Looking into buying a stick~
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 08:13:50 PM »
My advice is to stick with the most common japanese arcade stick used on real cabinets which is the sanwa jlf and sanwa buttons, at least until you are more experienced and want to change. most people never change from this stick type though, only people who specialize i ncertain stick types will choose something else.

Here are some stick builders to talk to.

Painted pale:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=130780 <-- perfect example of what you should use for your first stick.

Finkle:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=90296

Byrdo
www.byrdo.org

DH020
http://forums.shoryuken.com/member.php?u=19188

Offline scottind

• Melty Waffle
  • Magic Circuits: 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 09:02:52 PM »
Well heres my recommendations-

DO NOT buy american 3rd party retail sticks, such as X-Arcade, Pelican, or InterAct. Besides being made from cheaper materials, most of them have laggy I/O boards making your button presses really off. You probably already made the decision to go jpn style, but i must say this.

I dont think theres a difference between the reliability of Retail vs Custom-Built, nor have i heard that custom ones definitively last longer than Retail. Sticks will break from wear and tear, or just dumb luck. It's simply up to you to take care of it as best you can.

If you are willing to spend the cash, you can't go wrong with Hori Real Arcade Pro (either ver. B or 2 or Special Edition). It has a wide heavy base, and sturdy. Mostly Sanwa parts depending on which version youre getting, with Hori buttons. Which can make it future modifiable if you want 100% Sanwa, IF YOU WISH. But most players do perfectly fine with the stock setup. Which leads me to my final tip...

(So i might be flamed for this) But don't get lulled into thinking that having the perfect Sanwa or Seimitsu or P360 or Competition Stick is the best for you. Part of "high-level play" is also having some tolerance for different types of sticks, if you're playing at someone else's house and you dont have your own stick. Especially in the arcade where sticks are not in the best condition at a tournament or otherwise.

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 11:35:16 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys and keep it coming please. Research is coming much more smoothly with the links and advice. Not exactly sure how the artwork process is for custom sticks. I suppose vector art would be the best though.

scottind: I just want to get the closest I can to what they use on actual cabinets ^^
thundering waterfalls

Offline ii_otoko

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 12:09:12 AM »
i suggest buying real arcade pro2

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 12:41:59 AM »
HRAP2s don't seem like they're in stock anywhere, for the US anyways...
thundering waterfalls

Offline Sp00ky

• Melty Pancake
  • Magic Circuits: 46
    • View Profile
    • Team Spooky
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 02:36:23 AM »
Theres no excuse to not buy yourself a good stick. While it's true that you will have to deal with bad sticks at arcades, that is not a reason to have your most used stick be a bad one.

Also the hrap is cute and all, but the stock parts suck, it has 8 buttons, and it's notoriously bad with converters because the pcb sucks. Don't make the mistake a lot of other people have made, get a good custom your first time out, it's worth the money.

There is DEFINITELY a difference between a good custom and an hrap. Take it from someone who has owned at least a dozen sticks, I know what I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 02:44:10 AM by Sp00ky »

Offline scottind

• Melty Waffle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 06:35:43 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys and keep it coming please. Research is coming much more smoothly with the links and advice. Not exactly sure how the artwork process is for custom sticks. I suppose vector art would be the best though.

scottind: I just want to get the closest I can to what they use on actual cabinets ^^

you might be surprised that some japanese sticks arent even Sanwas. The big 3s machine at my arcade, the one everyone prefers over the smaller candy Sanwas (on tournaments), are Sega sticks.

Anyway, I'm not saying that there isn't a difference between a Custom and an HRAP, but i am saying that the difference is negligible. For someone's whose buying his first stick, he should buy the HRAP first.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 06:45:03 AM by scottind »

Offline sibladeko

• Melty Muffin
  • Magic Circuits: 5
    • View Profile
    • FUTAE NO KIWAMI AAAAAAAAAAH!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 07:48:25 AM »
I was told HRAPS died within a year.
Personally, I'm going with a custom, we'll see how that goes (Mid building)
"It's like Marvel with all Cables!"
-jwong on IaMP

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 02:22:58 PM »
Also the hrap is cute and all, but the stock parts suck, it has 8 buttons, and it's notoriously bad with converters because the pcb sucks. Don't make the mistake a lot of other people have made, get a good custom your first time out, it's worth the money.
Actually now that you mention that, I have heard of some of my friends having trouble with the HRAP and using converters. There's either some lag or it doesn't work at all. I just got in touch with one of them to confirm it as well. Since I plan on using my PC as well, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go custom now. Thanks again for the advice.

Anyone know if there's some sort of rules or guidelines for getting artwork on custom sticks?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 02:37:56 PM by Dakanya »
thundering waterfalls

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 125
  • nasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 03:52:10 PM »
If your poor and a cheap bastard, you can always try and find a Tekken 5 stick.

It's 20 dollars at EBgames (I think) and it works REALLY REALLY well for what you pay for, and you get an outdated fighter!
what the fuck is this game

Offline scottind

• Melty Waffle
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 04:05:43 PM »
Anyone know if there's some sort of rules or guidelines for getting artwork on custom sticks?

get stuff thats safe for kids i guess, and something relavent to your art, taste, or game you play. for example, if youre a Magneto  MvC2 player, you'd get a picture of Ian McKellen.

Offline pherai

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 25
    • View Profile
    • pherai.net
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 04:13:05 PM »
for example, if youre a Magneto  MvC2 player, you'd get a picture of Ian McKellen.

What if I play as that snowman in Clayfighter?
I heard anime expo isn't going to be that good this year...

Offline Zanir

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 09:12:32 PM »
for example, if youre a Magneto  MvC2 player, you'd get a picture of Ian McKellen.

What if I play as that snowman in Clayfighter?

This guy?
“We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 125
  • nasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 09:34:20 PM »

get stuff thats safe for kids i guess, and something relavent to your art, taste, or game you play. for example, if youre a Magneto  MvC2 player, you'd get a picture of Ian McKellen.

Fuck the kids, I got some ecchi on my new stick.
what the fuck is this game

Offline Arlieth Tralare

• Die Zauberwaffe
  • Zaubererkommandant
  • Magic Circuits: 123
  • POW!
    • View Profile
    • Melty Bread
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 09:39:03 PM »
I think having Watarase-san on a joystick, placed appropriately where his skirt overlaps with the stick itself, would be a potent psychological weapon.
<bellreisa> arly *has* given up 3s
<bellreisa> retired it anyways
<linalys> no he hasn't
<linalys> it lives on in crouch shield
<proxyZAR> and it will die there too lol

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 09:53:59 PM »
Probably gonna get in contact with finkle but from the looks of his thread, he seems a bit backlogged. Dunno what I'm gonna use for artwork yet. Hmm. Thanks again for all the help everyone!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 09:56:43 PM by Dakanya »
thundering waterfalls

Offline pherai

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 25
    • View Profile
    • pherai.net
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 11:20:05 PM »
This guy?

Close enough, need high rez tho, and maybe a nice lens flare to give it that professional touch.
I heard anime expo isn't going to be that good this year...