When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: So I was bored and...  (Read 1423 times)

Offline mir

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
    • View Profile
So I was bored and...
« on: September 29, 2007, 10:30:16 PM »
...decided to make myself a stick out of spare parts I had laying around.

Box:
1x Fiberglass Channel (13x8x2.19). 3/8" wall thickness
2x Aluminum plates (8x3x0.125)

Fiberglass channels are great. I found a 5ft long piece of the 8" wide variety. I was supposed to have 10" channels abandoned in some corner at work, but alas couldn't find them.

Top:
13x8x0.1875 aluminum. Excess aluminum from old design...

I am surprised I could not dig up a 1/8 plate for the top. The one I found is pretty thick so artwork is out of the question, at least artwork that requires plexi. On top of that, the blade belt of the machine that cuts the metal was shot so I had to use hand tools. As a result, the top edge isn't as flush as I want it to be. I think I"ll do some touch-ups with the hot plastic gun after I'm done.

PCB:
1x sacrificial PS1 dual shock controller

----

Ok. I didn't get to finish it, so I'll probably do the easy stuff like drilling a U-hole for the cable, PCB mount, painting and buttons/joystick tomorrow.  What do you guys think of my JUNKSTICK!

« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 12:22:40 AM by mir »
There's nothing to fear now.

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
Re: So I was bored so...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 10:47:03 PM »
Looks pretty darn good so far.  :teach:
Keyboard crusher who couldn't pull off a proper BNB.

Offline mir

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
    • View Profile
Re: So I was bored and...
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 10:10:51 PM »
And teh junkstick was finally completed. Testing put off for tomorrow since I do not own a PS2 (and didn't anticipate the converter not recognizing the device. Though it isn't surprising, I've had similar issues with non-brand pads as well). What do you guys think? I hope this would do for Arcana Heart!!!

Insides: Well, padhacking fucking sucks. They're annoying to work with and difficult to secure. I checked around and apparently some guy on SRK designed a universal boards. So I got a couple, soldered the stuffs on it and presto, universal board. It's a nifty design, though I would probably make my own board later on (if not lazy of course).

Top: I was debating putting a second strip for the grounds, but that meant drilling and threading more holes. I took the easy way out and chained them together.

And the flip side, painted in the ugliest green I could find for free (well it was either this or bright yellow):
There's nothing to fear now.