hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Nanaya modeling with 3DS MAX  (Read 5917 times)

Offline Xx ggmaster xX

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 53
  • Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
Nanaya modeling with 3DS MAX
« on: September 14, 2008, 07:06:51 AM »

Samsung SENS R19plus (Laptop)

├  : Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (5.1.2600)
├  : Pentium II With On-Die L2 Cache || 1733Mhz
├  : Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter 
├  : 549.74/1790.1MB 
├  : ATI Radeon Xpress 1250
└  : Realtek HD Audio output

Used Tools: Autodesk 3ds max 9.0, Adobe Photoshop CS2

Used Plugins: Texporter

Used Renderer: V-ray(draft), Mental ray(production)

Used Modifiers: FFD, Symmetry, Edit Poly, Meshsmooth

Operation Time: about 6 hours

I've made nanaya shiki with 3ds max.

It's been 5 years since I started 3ds max.

I was 13 than, attending elementary school.

Though I begin max early, I was never good at character modeling.

Partially because I was interested in mechanics those days.

But now, as I am addicted to melty blood and toho project, I decided to start character design.

My first target was Nanaya because he was male (easy to modeling), and he was one of my favorite character.

Though it's a very coarse work, I am kinda encouraged by my first job, and will continue to make melty blood 3d models.

Someday, when time comes, I gonna make short 3D Melty blood film.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 07:15:13 AM by mincartoon »
Fate Rarely Calls Upon Us at a Moment of our Choosing.

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
Re: Nanaya modeling with 3DS MAX
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 07:56:09 AM »
Man I remember 3DSMax.

I hated using that program.

This Nanaya needs more killer intent in his eyes.

:emo:
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 08:59:29 AM »
Yeah, definitely gotta make the man look meaner.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline Tempered

• America is free to Satsuki
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • fullscreen j.[c] mixup
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 03:25:52 PM »
Looks pretty good so far. But yeah you gotta make him look a bit meaner.
During Loser's Finals at NECX:

<Crowd at Jiyuna about to Lose> Na na na naaaa, na na na naaaa, hey hey hey, Goodbyeeee~

Offline Animeruko

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 7
  • Because its MOE~ MOE~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 08:01:17 AM »
Thats pretty cool.  I envy anyone who can do 3d modeling.

Use Maya, it makes life a whole lot easier.  Ive been trying to learn 3d so i can do an Akiha model along with various other Anime characters plus my friend wants me to help him wiht a CG gundam movie.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 02:44:38 PM »
Trust me, 3d is just annoying and tedious, especially at high levels.  I've been doing basically nothing but 3d for the past 3 years of college and I've come to absolutely abhor it.  This is why I have mad respect for anyone who actually works 3d as a career.

And really Animeruko, Maya is only better for organic modelling.  Max is considered easier to use for inorganic shit, like architecture and such.  With that said, the differences aren't that huge.  I'd say it mostly comes down to personal preference in what program you're more comfortable with.

Min, if you'd like some more constructive feedback than "make him meaner", I've got three bits of advice that might help.  First off, his eyes are too much of perfect ovals.  Try using Soft Selection to gradually nudge down the top edges of his eyes to form a more angry looking triangular eye shape.  Also, the mesh around the mouth is just plain confusing.  Have you heard of edge looping?  Look up some tutorials on it to help understand how to model out facial features.  As of now, it looks like the mouth is just a row of verts pushed in.  On another note, do you know anything about back lighting or three point lighting?  Putting a moderately strong spot light down on the model is good, but adding in one or two faint omni lights behind him adds a lot to even a simple render.  Finally, your model looks too uniformly smooth.  Did you apply a Mesh Smooth or Turbo Smooth modifier to it?  Try learning about Smoothing Groups instead.  You can selectively control which areas get smoothed and how they smooth together with other areas. 
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline liger

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 03:22:50 PM »
Snap, you sure know your stuff, LoliSause. :o Major kudos.

If I may add a suggestion, I think it would also help if you slant his eyebrows inward some more, like in this image

Right now he looks like he has a sort of quizzical expression, as if he's going "Eh?".

Otherwise, a pretty awesome 3D model. :)

Offline scottind

• Melty Waffle
  • Magic Circuits: 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 07:40:50 PM »
a class with live models helps a lot to help, even with exaggerated proportions. i had started with Cinema4D but had to transition to Maya because EVERYONE was Going Maya and zbrush.

my first love is still C4D strictly because the rendering was so much better than Maya. This was back in 2004, so i dont know how different they are nowadays.

lolisauce, hows that uncanny valley going for ya?

Offline Animeruko

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 7
  • Because its MOE~ MOE~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 03:45:50 AM »
And really Animeruko, Maya is only better for organic modelling.  Max is considered easier to use for inorganic shit, like architecture and such.  With that said, the differences aren't that huge.  I'd say it mostly comes down to personal preference in what program you're more comfortable with. 
I started with 3DS but i ran into some odd issues with some stuff and switched over to Maya, since it wasnt retarded and did not mess up what i was doing lol.  we never did figure out why 3DS does what it did...

I really think Maya is easier to use but i suppose it really is just a prefrence thing.

Offline Xx ggmaster xX

• Spellcaster
  • Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 04:54:39 AM »
Thanks for all you guys support.

Indeed, I think that my first model was too rough, and I remodeled the face right away.

I've just finished the 2nd nanaya model and will release it soon.

You can wait my 2nd work since it's much more improved than the 1st one.

Offline Xx ggmaster xX

• Spellcaster
  • Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 04:58:59 AM »
Trust me, 3d is just annoying and tedious, especially at high levels.  I've been doing basically nothing but 3d for the past 3 years of college and I've come to absolutely abhor it.  This is why I have mad respect for anyone who actually works 3d as a career.

Min, if you'd like some more constructive feedback than "make him meaner", I've got three bits of advice that might help.  First off, his eyes are too much of perfect ovals.  Try using Soft Selection to gradually nudge down the top edges of his eyes to form a more angry looking triangular eye shape.  Also, the mesh around the mouth is just plain confusing.  Have you heard of edge looping?  Look up some tutorials on it to help understand how to model out facial features.  As of now, it looks like the mouth is just a row of verts pushed in.  On another note, do you know anything about back lighting or three point lighting?  Putting a moderately strong spot light down on the model is good, but adding in one or two faint omni lights behind him adds a lot to even a simple render.  Finally, your model looks too uniformly smooth.  Did you apply a Mesh Smooth or Turbo Smooth modifier to it?  Try learning about Smoothing Groups instead.  You can selectively control which areas get smoothed and how they smooth together with other areas. 

Thanks Lori, you give a long and beneficial advice.

I appriciate your great feedback.

And about smoothing groups, I rarely use it.

I've only used NURBS control level, so the face was very monotonous.

I think I have to learn about smoothing groups so.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 05:06:09 AM by mincartoon »

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 12:56:34 PM »
Snap, you sure know your stuff, LoliSause. :o Major kudos.
Honestly, the 3d knowledge I have isn't going to any good use.  I don't plan on ever working in 3d, so the least I can do is try to help others with what I know.  *shrugs*

lolisauce, hows that uncanny valley going for ya?
lol, uncanny valley?  Never heard it called that before.  It's going alright though, despite the relative lack of a scene.  I've been trying to get some newbies up on current strats and such, but it's hard to set up times to hang out with everyone to get in some quality practice/teaching time. (not to mention having to teach various characters forces me have to go and learn the basics for them all, lol)

Thanks Lori, you give a long and beneficial advice.

I appriciate your great feedback.

And about smoothing groups, I rarely use it.

I've only used NURBS control level, so the face was very monotonous.

I think I have to learn about smoothing groups so.
No problem, buddy.  I'm not as familiar with NURBS, so I'm not sure if the various poly/mesh modelling stuff I'm familiar with will work together with NURBS modelling.  Hopefully my advice has helped though.

Can't wait to see your second model!
---