hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Naruto UNS2 for MB fantasy  (Read 2782 times)

Offline zeech

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
    • View Profile
Naruto UNS2 for MB fantasy
« on: June 24, 2010, 01:09:16 AM »
Ok, I know that fandom for games like MB tend to collect diehard 2D pixel art fans, so maybe few people here will share my dream, but looking at the videos for the PS3 game Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, makes me so wish that they would do a Melty game in a SF4 2.5D style, using that kind of celshading technology and artist talent.

Melty/Tsukihime has a fairly standard anime art style with simple designs, like Naruto, so if N:UNS2 can capture the look and feel of its anime so well, then a Melty game should be able to as well.

Heck, I wish this level of tech/art becomes standard and all anime-style games start using it, like BB and so forth.

KOF12 has shown us that ironically, modern hardware has more trouble doing hires 2D than 3D, due to limited RAM.  I think celshading tech is the only way forward for anime style games to have graphics that meet modern expectations.

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
  • Magic Circuits: 159
    • View Profile
Re: Naruto UNS2 for MB fantasy
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 01:21:13 AM »
Nah. No Melty in 3D would be as popular as the doujin game-like 2D looks. Also, there's no 3D game I'm aware of that shares a complex, fast and dynamic gameplay like even common 2D fighters, not to speak of Melty.

Especially BlazBlue, which was concepted as highres 2D fighter from the beginning, would not be that cool if it was in 3D. Even though it's a 3D engine and it uses 3D stages, the parts of it are still made in 2D.

And I think I'm not alone with that kind of statement.

Way too much D's in this post.

Offline Van_Artic

• Vigilant White
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • Haters Gonna Hate
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube page
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 03:14:46 AM »
i don't know what 3D is
<Zelretch> i would pay for a Kouma bedsheet
<Zelretch> seriously i wouldnt mind sleeping with PURE MASCULINITY

<ehrik> does ckouma have any hype combos <setrajonas> 2aaa <ehrik> damn that combo <ehrik> is too hard <ehrik> do you have anything easier

Offline Dintrao

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 7
  • Momiji All Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 05:10:38 AM »
I prefer 2d sprites any day personally.
[4c 2c 623b] x ∞

Offline zeech

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 08:42:01 AM »
Nah. No Melty in 3D would be as popular as the doujin game-like 2D looks. Also, there's no 3D game I'm aware of that shares a complex, fast and dynamic gameplay like even common 2D fighters, not to speak of Melty.

Especially BlazBlue, which was concepted as highres 2D fighter from the beginning, would not be that cool if it was in 3D. Even though it's a 3D engine and it uses 3D stages, the parts of it are still made in 2D.

Gameplay is a non issue, tho.

They could simply have identical gameplay.  Heck, they could have MBAA running hidden in the background, but overlay the celshaded models where the sprites are located.   Saying that a 3D game must have different gameplay to a sprite based game is simply wrong.

Now that 3D celshading looks almost like drawn anime, I think most games should go for it, because of the massive advantages that 3D offers:
- Less work /cheaper to animate many moves and characters (compared to hires 2D)
- Future proof, animations and models can be used in future hardware without looking awful, unlike sprites.
- Can easily do new costumes, share/trade animations, etc.
- Works better on modern hardware.
- Can do various effects impossible in 2D, like proper slow motion, camera changes, etc.

Sure, maybe you prefer sprites instead, but hey, if you can tolerate melty's 320x200 sprites, then you have to be a gameplay > graphics guy, right?  So why not tolerate 3D instead, and let the game benefit from the advantages listed above?

Hires sprites are a dead end.  Look at KOF12 - they spent all that money and effort and already the sprites look pixelated and kinda awful.  And RAM / workload limitations means animations have far fewer distinct frames than something like 3S or Melty.

Offline grandlordzero

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 15
  • ^ Still My EVO-Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 10:51:34 AM »
3D Melty?

F-UC.

/debate
Why do I even bother going to EVO anymore.... D8

Offline zeech

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 11:05:48 AM »
Fail comparison is fail.

At least use SF4 as your bad example, if you truly need to make irrelevant analogies ;)

Offline It is a mystery.

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 10:04:38 PM »
I don't see how that's irrelevant myself. I agree with the rest of the guys 3D models just lack the same charm and timeless-ness that 2D sprites have, it's the reason why stuff like Super Mario World is still pleasing to the eye when PS1 games look like garbage now.

I don't think SF4 looks too bad myself anyway, though it was the easy way out.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 10:10:50 PM by Shaker »

Offline zeech

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 02:58:10 AM »
Ok, I know that fandom for games like MB tend to collect diehard 2D pixel art fans, so maybe few people here will share my dream

I predicted it all along :)

I dont see how you can claim that MB is timeless.  MB looks almost as dated as a PS1 game.  Its got great animation, but so would a 3D game.  For a fullscreen 2d game like Tsukihime or Sakura Wars, yes, maybe timeless.  But MB looks pretty dated especially since the backgrounds are a different res to the sprites.

I can see there might be some hesitation over making BB into 3D, maybe, but MB has so few pixels that I dont think theres much expression to lose really.  At least 3D would be able to do facial expressions and so forth (like SF4s retarded ones).  

(oh, the comparison was irrelevant both gameplay wise, because FUC doesnt play like a 2D fighter unlike SF4, and also art wise, because FUC's 3d models are pretty horrible, compared to Naruto's ones which are approaching the style of the anime.)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 03:04:13 AM by zeech »

Offline It is a mystery.

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 11:54:11 PM »
I guess it's just a difference of opinion, i don't have much else to say.