When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: On building a scene  (Read 6892 times)

Offline motoh

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 20
    • View Profile
On building a scene
« on: January 04, 2008, 06:51:12 PM »
It seems that a lot of areas off the coasts, and especially over in Europe, are very scattered about with regards to players.  So, I've been mulling over doing something about that at home, and try to start up some noise in the Missouri area.

What kinds of things do you guys do to build interest and bring in new players?  Where do you find new players?

~M

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 125
  • nasty
    • View Profile
Re: On building a scene
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 09:52:30 PM »
I try to play MBAC where theres a lot of gamers. Too bad for me when I tried building a MBR community years ago they all laughed at me and I continued to play 3s (at that time)
what the fuck is this game

Offline ಠ_ಠ Dizzynecro

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 40
  • Doriflectos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 10:23:25 PM »

building a scene is impossible, the scene will build itself or not exsist at all.

By the way, Are Melty Blood and Melty Bread different games?

Offline Sh1k1

• Vigilant Blue
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 43
  • 「これが… モノを殺すと言うことだ…!」
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 10:36:33 PM »
Not true. I believe in the saying that goes, "if you build it, they will come". I actually built a mini-scene of sorts here in my country, though none of the guys play seriously like I do (they didn't even know the game could be played online until I showed them a demo match with a friend of mine in Washington). I just need to get enough people to create an actual registered scene on the city's fighting game guild, so we can make national competitions and stuff.
FGO Friend Code: 221252074

Offline AkiraTheMastodon

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 19
  • 暁を映して。
    • View Profile
    • My u2b.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 03:51:43 AM »
Most i try to do is talk with people about it at the arcade if i see them play often, and try to get them into it more if they are willing to.
I have gotten only two friends into MB after about a year :/
Name courtesy of LoliSauce.
俺のパーフェクトさんすう教室。
答えは答えはゼロ人ゼロ人
なぜならなぜならそれは。。。 幻想郷にバス無い!

Offline DJcream

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 03:58:19 AM »
I tried to build a scene where i'm from but it wasn't happening so I decided to just go to SJSU whenever they hold tournaments. I'll get you next time Sataya.
MBAACC1.07: C-Wlen (main), H-Hisui, C/H-Sacchin
BBCSex: Carl (main), Makoto
Gundam VS ex: God Gundam

Offline Irovax

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 12:07:05 PM »
To build a scene:
Step 1: Move to a scene.

Offline ಠ_ಠ Dizzynecro

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 40
  • Doriflectos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 12:58:05 PM »
Not true. I believe in the saying that goes, "if you build it, they will come". I actually built a mini-scene of sorts here in my country, though none of the guys play seriously like I do (they didn't even know the game could be played online until I showed them a demo match with a friend of mine in Washington). I just need to get enough people to create an actual registered scene on the city's fighting game guild, so we can make national competitions and stuff.
Don't you contridict me sir, dont you know i am always right?
To build a scene:
Step 1: Move to a scene.
Truer than the bible, less of a lie than the cake.

By the way, Are Melty Blood and Melty Bread different games?

Offline magz

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 18
  • An Genuflecting Hero
    • View Profile
    • FrozenHeat
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 05:54:02 PM »
0) Get Laptop/Venue/Desktop
1) Get Melty
2) Get Pads/Sticks
3) Get at least one other player that will help you put on a good show.
4) ???
5) Profit
"Accent Core is perfection. It's like the concept of freedom captured into a videogame."

Offline DJcream

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 07:20:12 PM »
MBAACC1.07: C-Wlen (main), H-Hisui, C/H-Sacchin
BBCSex: Carl (main), Makoto
Gundam VS ex: God Gundam

Offline motoh

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 02:49:41 AM »
Well, I'm fairly confident I can generate some interest or find some in the KC area... now the issue is finding a gathering place.

~M

Offline Light

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • KenjiX
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 02:00:01 PM »
I think pretty much what Akira and Magz said. Either people will take an interest and want to play, or not, in my experience.
♪ Fairy Tale Transparently ♪
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SKjB_mk_so

Offline Hier

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • Blade Ninja Skills!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 08:46:54 PM »
Uh, I play it at school a lot, I know a few people that loved it but thats about it.

REMEMBER!
If you build it, They Will Come
Wants to order the Limited Edition of MBAA...

Offline ChiisaiRamen

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Gar it up!
    • View Profile
    • Chii's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 10:32:02 PM »
I take my laptop with me and play it on the bus, anywhere. If i get someone interested I get their aim msn any info to get them in touch which this site.
Arcueid Brunestud/Red Arcueid Main
----------
Eerily Devoted Arcueid Fanboy
http://www.youtube.com/ChiisaiRamen

Offline NinjaNero

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 26
  • Warblackia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 12:27:10 PM »
I take my laptop with me and play it on the bus, anywhere. If i get someone interested I get their aim msn any info to get them in touch which this site.
I take my laptop to kix's house, school, me and pi play at lunch, and during government and i play on the bus on the way home.
"I-P-C-O-N...'
"M?"
"No, N as in.."
"Oh, N, as in knife" "...yes..."

Offline Soniti

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 7
  • 。。。
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 02:51:20 PM »
I nearly always have my laptop, ps2-usb adapter (2-person), and 2 ps2 controllers on me, and my joystick in my car, so I started playing it in my local college's cafeteria and then began recruiting people from the 3s machine in the arcade. Bit by bit, more people got interested. The Ventura scene has probably grown to ~15 people, but never more than 8 at a single location at a time.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 02:53:02 PM by Soniti »

Offline NinjaNero

• Magus Candidate
  • Warblackia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 03:21:03 PM »
I nearly always have my laptop, ps2-usb adapter (2-person), and 2 ps2 controllers on me, and my joystick in my car, so I started playing it in my local college's cafeteria and then began recruiting people from the 3s machine in the arcade. Bit by bit, more people got interested. The Ventura scene has probably grown to ~15 people, but never more than 8 at a single location at a time.
Basically the same thing here i got Pi and my brother playing and we recruit people from school to play about 20 (but the all are terrible)(can't blame them only played once)(liked and want it though)
"I-P-C-O-N...'
"M?"
"No, N as in.."

Offline magz

• Spellcaster
  • An Genuflecting Hero
    • View Profile
    • FrozenHeat
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 03:40:10 PM »
I take my laptop with me and play it on the bus, anywhere.
Hardcore.
"Accent Core is perfection. It's like the concept of freedom captured into a videogame."

Offline Mailorder

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 34
  • sup
    • View Profile
    • MySpace - Add Me!
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 04:51:47 PM »
What kinds of things do you guys do to build interest and bring in new players?  Where do you find new players?

Have a place of your own to become a hub for gaming.  Not just MBAC, but all sorts of games.  Then you'll need to be open-minded and play a few other games as well.  Then recruit people from other games to play MBAC.  That's pretty much how it was done with the AZ scene.  V-Money and I met Choco at an anime con and he invited us to chill at his place to play games.  V-Money brought Jaxx.  I brought Kyne and Glide.  Choco met Dan through SRK's forums and invited him.  None of us started out playing MBAC.  Since there was three TVs, we had all sorts of games set up - so we played whatever.  But eventually, we all picked up MBAC.  While it's not the main game for most of us, we play it a fair amount.  Enough to care to get decent at it!

Me - from SSBM and GNT4
Glide - from SSBM (some GNT4)
Kyne - from SSBM (some GNT4)
Ted - from SSBM
Jaxx - From SCII/III
Dan - from GGXX
Q-Chu - from GGXX
Vmoney - from GGXX

Offline DarthTrey

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 11:48:23 AM »
Everyone I hang out with plays GG so I have no reason to buy it :S lol.

Offline ikeTATARI

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • Sometimes, you only need 1 word.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 07:03:24 PM »

~M

I've introduced it at anime conventions. They haven't let me set up my computer at any of the local ones (YET!), but I'll introduce the idea to people, be like "Have you ever seen Tsukihime?", and, surprisingly enough, most of the time there's anime/hgame stuff for me to show them, and I'll be like ITS ALSO A FIGHTING GAME! There are quite a few people here who saw me and Lokanas play it at school, as well, though since the anime cons here are pretty much like WE DONT WANT ANY INPUT FROM ANYONE THAT ISNT ME it's hard to do.

But seriously; take it to places where people already play games. Anime cons. I mean, that's how I was introduced to the game; saw someone playing it at my school, asked what it was, tried it out. I didn't even pick it up for awhile after that, I just kept seeing it and eventually I started playing.

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
  • Magic Circuits: 159
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 07:27:06 PM »
I installed Melty Blood some time ago on the school PC system, so everyone has access to it. Then I had some Network matches via caster with other guys and some were interested in how good the game looked. So I "recruited" 2 serious player here, but one of them quit MB a few months ago, because he had other stuff to do.

The other way, I used once was while a school party. Some guys managed to get a room and installed a few consoles, PCs etc. I brought my PC, too. I had the demonstration of Garou MotW running, then the MBAC intro + demonstration. After a few minutes, some guys really were interested. One fight was 1€ and I made 34€ this day, but noone asked me how to get the game or something. Even a teacher found this good.

It's just like showing the public this game without being penetrant.

Offline Hier

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • Blade Ninja Skills!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 03:32:29 PM »
I take my laptop to kix's house, school, me and pi play at lunch, and during government and i play on the bus on the way home.
To bad that is possibly halted for a few (10) days

Oh I got my Nephew into the game, he is quite good at it to
Wants to order the Limited Edition of MBAA...

Offline NinjaNero

• Magus Candidate
  • Warblackia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2008, 12:06:00 PM »
To bad that is possibly halted for a few (10) days

Oh I got my Nephew into the game, he is quite good at it to
Yeah said laptop was my school laptop and due to the suspension and such not going to get it back
i cant even get my personal stuff off of it. :'( :'( :'(
"I-P-C-O-N...'
"M?"
"No, N as in.."

Offline Reiku Tohno

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
  • "It's amazing really, how I was born...I just..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2008, 08:43:27 PM »
I just asked my friend who watch a lot of anime to try and watch Tsukihime or play the visual novel, after that, I asked them if they liked it, then I asked them what would they do if they saw a fighting game of Tsukihime, then I showed them MB...I've "infected/influenced?" about 5 laptops right now, and about 3 people are influenced by each laptop and then they branch out...it's nice living in a dorm...Also, bringing my laptop is a must...
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6500/sigcopykb8.gif
I Blaze, I Freeze, I Soar, I Strengthen, I Spark, I Roar... I Strike, I Hit, I Dash, I Guard, I Fly, I Force... I Tick, I Contain, I Live, I Die, I Shine, I Shadow... I Exist...
[19 Powers of the Angel]