hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: On tactfully dealing with superiors  (Read 2192 times)

Offline motoh

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 20
    • View Profile
On tactfully dealing with superiors
« on: October 08, 2007, 04:20:54 AM »
I'm quickly reaching my wit's end with my current supervisor out here, and am in need of some advice from anyone with a bit more tact than myself.

The supervisor in question is not in my career field, radio electronics maintenance.  They are a computer operator with positively no idea of how a maintenance workcenter is run, and all my efforts to illustrate this point to them have been disregarded.

The aforementioned keeps making mistakes and leading us into pitfalls that a first-year tech would consider folly, and I'm tired of cleaning up the mess.  Anyone have experience with this kind of situation?

(Blah, blah, don't bring your real life problems here scrubass, etc.  I know, I'm sorry, just click the X up there and imagine me wallowing in torment.)

~M

Offline faight

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
    • View Profile
Re: On tactfully dealing with superiors
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 05:01:52 AM »
I will wager you all use email to communicate. I recommend the following, which I have used to rectify my superiors in the past:

Document.
Document.
Document.

If he is screwing up, make sure it is document in email and other viewable media such as reports. Don't come out and tell his superior directly that he is a failure, simply document and show them that you are bearing the burden and that all the work could have been avoided had they had the experience in the field you have.

Document everything. Every failure, every time they screw up, every time your suggestions are ignored for their own which result in errors, lost time, and broken equipment. Ensure that these are forwarded to someone above him, but never directly state that you think they are in error. Let the documentation show it for you.

At least, this is what I have done in the past.

Offline motoh

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 05:17:31 AM »
You're military too, aren't you?  I've got an itch in my brain that says you are...

~M

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 07:29:04 AM »
Pen everything down in black and white.
Keyboard crusher who couldn't pull off a proper BNB.

Offline DarthTrey

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 08:17:45 AM »
don't listen to those fools,

Plan his assassination.  It's the only true way to deal with over bearing superiors.  :teach:

Offline Kelong

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 09:03:09 AM »
Nothing beats proof

Offline pherai

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 25
    • View Profile
    • pherai.net
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 04:21:23 PM »
Most people experience this. Just wait it out, and if need be, find a new job. No sense getting frustrated with it. Trying to bring his incompetence to light will probably blow up in your face.
I heard anime expo isn't going to be that good this year...

Offline Alt

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 04:34:35 PM »
Challenge him to MB to determine your respective ranks
Duh

Offline faight

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 06:12:41 AM »
You're military too, aren't you?  I've got an itch in my brain that says you are...

~M

No, but like I assume about you from having read your posts, we're in the same part of the world. I've been here about two years straight, with maybe 2-3 months home total. In fact, I just hit the two year mark a few days ago and I am looking forward to getting out. Ensha'allah I will leave before Christmas for good. I've already secured a job stateside and I'll be making a good deal less than I am here.

I am a civilian, feel no love for me. I'm in it for the money, and I'm making buckets.

However, I deal with military all the time, and I grew up on bases as well as my father is a retired O5.

Hit me up, I'd like to get a general geographic location.