When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Playing online with PCSX2?  (Read 10621 times)

Offline Xx ggmaster xX

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 53
  • Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
Playing online with PCSX2?
« on: August 21, 2009, 11:01:08 AM »
If there's a way to play MBAA PS2 online, it will be really fantastic.

Well some games like Monster Hunter can be played online with latest PCSX2 release.

Drunk Together at Last!
[ Posted by CKemu 17:43 on 01 09 07 ]
GiGaHeRz did it!! *hic* *wobble*...erm, oh I'd best explain I suppose!

DEV9 is a section of the PS2 which handles a variety of things; HDD, USB and ethernet. GiGaHeRz has been working on one aspect of DEV9, ethernet!

PCSX2 now supports PS2 ethernet, so what does that mean? ONLINE PLAY BABY. On August 30th 2007 GiGaHeRz successfully logged on to the official Capcom Monster Hunter servers and entered a town, briefly after his success I to logged in and joined him!

Subsequently most of the betatesting and development team have logged onto Monster Hunter, interacted with people playing on their real PS2's and even gone questing with each other; including other Monster Hunter players.

This is a significant moment for PCSX2, as we are perhaps one of the first emulation projects to ever let the emulator user connect to a real live official server and play their game online. The only other project we are aware of; that has even come close to this feat would be nullDC (a Dreamcast emulator for Windows).

Testing is ongoing with a variety of online games, and the lack of USB keyboard and mouse support (hopefully to be resolved soon), means PAD typing messages is the only way to communicate online.

This advance towards emulating some of the more "unique" features of the PS2 has once again put into sharp focus the need for you to dump your own BIOS. The specifics I won't detail here, however those of you downloading your BIOS will suffer the consequences.

We shall let you know of further progress with any games we get to go online, but Monster Hunter is a fantastic example of how well PS2 emulation can work, average framerates of 50-70 FPS, with lows of 35 in intense moments. Monster Hunter is utterly stable, I myself have been playing it for some time only noticing minor visual issues on rare occasions.

So here for your pleasure is a video of us just saying hello, and 80 (both general and online) screenshots!...now if you don't mind, we've got alcohol to consume *hic*

Would there a way to play netplay with MBAA?

Maybe some methods like transmitting the keyboard input of player2 to player1 via internet can slove the problem.

Though I think it's the best way to wait for the PC version it's hard having a netplay directly with an emulator,

it seems there is a way to bypass the limitations of PS2 emulator.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 11:12:13 AM by mincartoon »
Fate Rarely Calls Upon Us at a Moment of our Choosing.

Offline motoh

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 20
    • View Profile
Re: Playing online with PCSX2?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 11:03:51 AM »
Unfortunately this relates to games meant to be played online, via a PS2's ethernet.  Monster Hunter is played online by default.

Some sort of netplay input hooks would have to be created to play offline games like MBAA online.

~M

Offline Xx ggmaster xX

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 53
  • Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 11:14:44 AM »
Unfortunately this relates to games meant to be played online, via a PS2's ethernet.  Monster Hunter is played online by default.

Some sort of netplay input hooks would have to be created to play offline games like MBAA online.

~M

I think so... after reading the text carefully.

Anyway there should be a way to play games in PS2 with internet, like PS1 does... the matter is time imo.
Fate Rarely Calls Upon Us at a Moment of our Choosing.

Offline Danielsan

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
  • ころころ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 04:54:03 AM »
It's a matter of time, they're working on it.
The problem is getting two machines in sync since PCSX2 is a rather complex emulator and performance varies greatly with different hardware and plugins used.
Funny thing I read is that the way to go actually seems to be the host streaming the video and sound output to another machine in order to play  :psyduck:

We'll most likely see MBAA PC before that happens though.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 05:04:20 AM by real »

Offline Belegorm

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 09:20:06 AM »
Why not try it with Sega Naomi emulation instead of PS2 emulation?  That's bound to run better, and the Makaron emulator is supposed to be quite good at this point (I believe it runs CvS2, MBAC B2, for starters).  Haven't tried it myself because the games I want to play for the system are already on other stuff (like the two examples mentioned above).  Getting some GGPO-style netplay, on the other hand, would make me instantly want to try and get the thing running, especially if there's never a PC version.

Offline Lolly

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
  • hurp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 05:46:51 AM »
Why not try it with Sega Naomi emulation instead of PS2 emulation?  That's bound to run better, and the Makaron emulator is supposed to be quite good at this point (I believe it runs CvS2, MBAC B2, for starters).  Haven't tried it myself because the games I want to play for the system are already on other stuff (like the two examples mentioned above).  Getting some GGPO-style netplay, on the other hand, would make me instantly want to try and get the thing running, especially if there's never a PC version.

MBAA hasn't had a rom dump yet sadly, and naomi emulation has no form of netplay yet that i know off. I wouldn't hold out on ps2 netplay either. It'll either be naomi with some form of netplay or PC version.