hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Puyo Puyo and puzzle games  (Read 7485 times)

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 32
  • Atashi-o dare da to omotteru no?
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
Puyo Puyo and puzzle games
« on: April 11, 2010, 06:57:51 AM »
Note from Lolisauce: This was split off from the manga thread due to excessively being off topic.  Enjoy your puzzles and discussion of them.

Otherwise, I remember Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, we had that for the genesis, I didn't know it'd been redone.. damn it.
It wasn't really redone. The original Puyo Puyo came first, and Mean Bean Machine/Kirby's Avalanche on the SNES are westernized versions of this game.

Puyo Puyo's been going strong in Japan for over 15 years now. With the exception of those two games, I believe the only one to ever get an official translation was Puyo Puyo Fever for GBA (Which got released stateside as Puyo Pop Fever.)

Translation patches exist for the DS games, though, as those of you who watch the vid saw. :P
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 01:53:42 PM by LoliSauce »
My mom never saw the irony in calling me a son of a bitch.

Offline Cornix

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
  • Soup!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 07:03:22 AM »
Ah, well now I feel silly.
I just remember playing it as a kid on my genesis. Sega > Nintendo as a random console wars flashback.
[00:47] <Cornix> Curbeh: How does one 'go back to neutral' more?
[00:47] <Curbeh> Put it on five
[00:47] <Curbeh> FUCKING STOP TIME
----- [03:00] <jiyuna> i lost nec and i fucked 19 women that night [03:00] <jiyuna> with tears in my eyes [03:00] <jiyuna> i made them pay

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 07:04:26 AM »
Yeah, I don't blame you, don't worry. MBM was one of my favorite games, and I remember being floored once when I somehow beat him in like 30 seconds at the age of 10 or 11.

I wonder how well I'd fare in that game now. I'd probably zip through most of it, lol.

Offline Shizuka

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • Undead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 07:09:26 AM »
I'm pretty bad at this kinda game, but it looks like fun haha.
<LoliSauce> I bet they'd make them for the opportunity to get any other form of currency!
<shizuka> ahh apparently zimbabwe doesn't use the zimbabwean dollar anymore
<LoliSauce> whaaaaa
<LoliSauce> my plans have been foiled <LoliSauce> =<

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 07:24:24 AM »
It is fun. What will intimidate most people is if they watch videos of Japanese pros whipping off 14-15 step chains and just utterly destroying people, or if two pros are going at it, watching one start a chain and then the other trying to follow. Up until Puyo Puyo Fever, this would pretty much guarantee a win if your opponent's chains were worse than yours, but if they were it basically cancelled it out, or worse if they were better, you got all the garbage instead and thus lost.

That's not my playstyle.

My playstyle focuses really on two things: Quick sets of chains (Usually lots of quick two steps with the occasional 3, odd 4, and rare 5) to keep garbage raining down on my opponent in small but appreciable amounts, and countering my opponent's attempts to give me garbage puyo so I can fill my meter. If I fill it, my Big Puyo game shines, and I'll almost always walk out of one of those with at least a 10 or 11-step chain under my belt. If I get a second one, I can just keep adding it on. Letting me get that second one is pretty rough to deal with as the power begins to increase quite exponentially after 10 or so; allowing me to get a third is virtual suicide because by then each one of my steps is sending tons of garbage puyo in your direction. It starts with small garbage puyo, then big clear ones. (= 7 Garbage puyo, one full line.) Seven big garbage puyo become one Big Red one. (= 7 lines.) After the red garbage puyo, you get Moons. (= 35 lines.) After moons, you get crowns. (= 245 lines.) After crowns, you get stars, (=1,715 lines) and after stars you get comets (= 12,005 lines), and if you got six comets lined up you're fully fucked six ways from sunday as that's 72,000 garbage puyo.

Realistically, a clear playfield can withstand just under two red garbage puyo. The game will only drop seven lines at a time, but if your playfield gets buried by the first, you can expect it to bury you immediately after you drop your next piece with the other seven.

You cure this problem by "offsetting" - completing even a one-step chain, that is, clearing any four Puyo - will reduce the number of garbage coming at you increasing exponentially as you set off bigger chains, as well as raise your gauge by one for each step. This is why top players will set up so they have a quick 7-chain ready to fire as it will instantly fill their gauge and kick them into Fever/Henshin depending on the game. Clearing any garbage puyo will also raise it by one. This is the main difference between the original Puyo Puyo/Mean Bean Machine/Kirby's Avalanche and all of its sequels. In PP1, there was no offsetting, so whoever basically made a 6+ step chain first essentially won the game.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 07:28:31 AM by Dark Pulse »

Offline Shizuka

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • Undead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 08:44:48 AM »
Do the different characters effect the game at all, or is it just for aesthetic purposes?
<LoliSauce> I bet they'd make them for the opportunity to get any other form of currency!
<shizuka> ahh apparently zimbabwe doesn't use the zimbabwean dollar anymore
<LoliSauce> whaaaaa
<LoliSauce> my plans have been foiled <LoliSauce> =<

Offline Ice Queen Lotus

• Career Advisor
  • Nrvnqsr Chaos
  • Magic Circuits: 213
  • you're sick, sick as all the secrets that you deny
    • View Profile
    • 神曲
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 08:56:10 AM »
Hey. Hey DarkPulse.

Look above the bookshelf. I turned the Saturn artbook cover into a poster. :teach:

As for what's in it, it's just an artbook, though in the back it shows you how to blow up all the patterns and such. I also have a manga for the new one, La Petit Princesse, that came when I ordered the PS2 game. It's hellishly loli. I also have a 1997 TSS calendar.

Regarding Puyopuyo.. well, this speaks for itself:

I have at least 2 puyopuyo games visible (Puyo Pop for GBA, Puyopuyo Fever for DS, I also have the GameCube version but that's in the 4 stacks of games not visible, behind the front ones) in that picture. I also have Puyopuyo Sun for the Sega Titan Video System, and Puyopuyo 2 Jamma board in my closet. And yes that's a complete, in box, Megaman X3.

Bonus: You can see Memory on the back of the TSS book there.

You can't really see it, but on the manga shelf, the book in the bubblewrap is a guidebook for Puyopuyo Monogatari, the RPG. I also have a Puyopuyo 2 book, and a pair of red puyo slippers. >.> I have a lot of stupid shit, actually.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 09:01:25 AM by da AMBALAMPS :D »
there's someone inside me that softly kills everyone around
they don't know they're dead to me 'cause intent never makes a sound

Offline Ice Queen Lotus

• Career Advisor
  • Nrvnqsr Chaos
    • View Profile
    • 神曲
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 09:18:06 AM »
Do the different characters effect the game at all, or is it just for aesthetic purposes?

In the Puyopuyo Fever DS, they do affect the game as far as what pieces you get, I believe.

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 09:45:56 AM »
Yes, they affect both the pieces you get, and in the Fever games/15th Anniversary, some characters have stronger Fevers than others. The drop pattern is shown when selecting a character in 7 now. All characters' drop patterns differ except for Arle Nadja, who will always drop the classic Puyo Puyo 2-piece I.

Feli, for example, has the following pattern: L (right solo), I, O, I, L (top solo), I, H, I, O, I, L (right solo), I, H, I, L (top solo), I, then it repeats, for a total of 44 puyo dropped over a 16-step period. Higher drop numbers are generally better as long as you know what to do with them, making Arle actually one of the hardest characters to play as she will generally drop only 32 puyo over the 16-step period.

One of the reasons I like to use her is that she is the only character to start by dropping an L-piece, and as long as I can clear one of the two colors of it with my I, I have a guaranteed and very quick All Clear, which sets up an immediate 4-chain for me to either fire off or build upon. It's a devastating strategy if done right off the bat as it immediately gives your opponent several rows of garbage, but the risk you take with that is that they can fever/henshin much more quickly.

@ Hasuko

...Wah. Now I really want it. I'm a sucker for artbooks. A very big sucker. (I just downloaded about 100 of them off a private tracker I'm a member of...)

You got some taste, too. GITS SAC 2nd Gig, Ar Tonelico, Puzzle Quest... hell, even Eternal Champions for the Genesis. If I weren't already taken, I'd be positively smitten, lol. I'd better not show her that stuff, she'd drool over some of it too. Especially the loli. She likes them quite a bit. :D

I can get you into that tracker if you're interested though, just drop me a PM. If it means I get an artbook or two out of it, an invite to it is a very easy thing to give up. :P
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 09:49:14 AM by Dark Pulse »

Offline caiooa

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 14
  • aprentice button masher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 09:48:07 AM »
i don't remember who, but someone here have recommended Lament of the lamb....and i find this manga awesome :prinny: Have to thanks the guy that cited this name
HellLion:" i don't use windows 7 anymore. Now i use windows 7ya"

"it's not mash, it's triple tap!"

Offline Ice Queen Lotus

• Career Advisor
  • Nrvnqsr Chaos
    • View Profile
    • 神曲
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 10:34:05 AM »
@ Hasuko

...Wah. Now I really want it. I'm a sucker for artbooks. A very big sucker. (I just downloaded about 100 of them off a private tracker I'm a member of...)

You got some taste, too. GITS SAC 2nd Gig, Ar Tonelico, Puzzle Quest... hell, even Eternal Champions for the Genesis. If I weren't already taken, I'd be positively smitten, lol. I'd better not show her that stuff, she'd drool over some of it too. Especially the loli. She likes them quite a bit. :D

I can get you into that tracker if you're interested though, just drop me a PM. If it means I get an artbook or two out of it, an invite to it is a very easy thing to give up. :P

What's the site? I'm already on Demonoid.

Most of my games aren't even visible in that mess. There's 4 stacks of games you can't even see behind all that shit in the front.

http://raptr.com/Hasuko/games

Most of my games are complete, in box, with manuals and in mint condition, including all my NES and Genesis games.

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 10:45:47 AM »
What's the site? I'm already on Demonoid.

Most of my games aren't even visible in that mess. There's 4 stacks of games you can't even see behind all that shit in the front.

http://raptr.com/Hasuko/games

Most of my games are complete, in box, with manuals and in mint condition, including all my NES and Genesis games.
Underground Gamer and Bitgamer. Both, if you really want in on them both.

Offline Ice Queen Lotus

• Career Advisor
  • Nrvnqsr Chaos
    • View Profile
    • 神曲
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 10:56:44 AM »
I added you on AIM, you should be able to contact me now.

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 11:41:54 AM »
That offer doesn't just extend to her, guys. I'll send people who want invites one, provided you're not some sort of leeching jerkwad.

And also ideally if you have something nice to scan or upload to them. :P

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
Re: Puyo Puyo and puzzle games
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 01:58:44 PM »
I get on after a night's sleep, and see a whole page of nothing but off topic shit in the manga thread, so I split it into it's own thread.

Also, I'm very interested in artbooks as well, and would enjoy an invite.  Just send to lolisauce [at] meltybread.com, if you have any left.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 02:04:14 PM by LoliSauce »
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 08:17:45 PM »
THAT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT MAN ENOUGH TO HANDLE THE PUYO.

...Oh, wait. I see what you did thar.

Nevermind.

And yes, I got plenty to go around. Invite sent. I'm a bit more limited on the Bitgamer ones, but Bitgamer only really deals with newer stuff (7th gen consoles mostly) so if you want one of those, you'll have to make it known.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 08:20:03 PM by Dark Pulse »

Offline Cornix

• Spellcaster
  • Soup!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 08:29:25 PM »
Haha, I really want to try this game now... damn it.. I still have to get Monster Hunter Tri, not to mention MWC/MaybeAcen/Evo! Stop making me want to spend money!
Also <3 to Hasuko both for the dokapon kingdom box there AND the GBA TacticsOgre box I see at the bottom. And the Persona3 box.. and the ... most of the rest of it... I'm gonna stop staring at that picture and drooling now.
----- [03:00] <jiyuna> i lost nec and i fucked 19 women that night [03:00] <jiyuna> with tears in my eyes [03:00] <jiyuna> i made them pay

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 03:47:42 AM »
What I want to know is what's up with the "Wind Power for Dummies" book on the right of the second pic. 
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline Cornix

• Spellcaster
  • Soup!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 04:02:07 AM »
What I want to know is what's up with the "Wind Power for Dummies" book on the right of the second pic. 
I think there's a baby names book in there too.
Kinda a funny collection
The last things on the shelves we can see is
Top: Age of Empires 2 (Also <3 to you for having that there.. amazing game)
Middle: Wind Power for Dummies
Bottom: Baby Names (maybe?)

Offline Ice Queen Lotus

• Career Advisor
  • Nrvnqsr Chaos
    • View Profile
    • 神曲
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 06:10:01 AM »

Fucking dad. He got me that for Christmas as a joke. I work for a windpower company. :emo:

Kinda a funny collection

Baby names book was from when Arlieth and I were together, trying to name our future kids. There's a couple of parenting books in my collection as a result.

Offline PWS

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
  • NC Melty
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 06:54:24 AM »
For the last few years, Puzzle Quest is the only reason I'll turn on my 360, lol. I should just get it for PSN, but I'd have to start over =/

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 07:48:27 AM »
For DS, you guys should (Besides one of the Puyo Puyo series) seriously look into Scribblenauts, especially since that came out stateside.

Find another game where you can have god ride a skateboard and use a shotgun to fight Cthulhu. I dare you.

Offline Cornix

• Spellcaster
  • Soup!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2010, 09:09:47 AM »

Kinda a funny collection

Baby names book was from when Arlieth and I were together, trying to name our future kids. There's a couple of parenting books in my collection as a result.
Regardless of reasons (The future doesn't scare me at all?.. whoops) I just like the disparity between the shelves. Video Games -> Pseudo-Science (in that it's a for dummies book) -> babies.

I think I have a baby names book as well somewhere in my bookshelf that is currently... HOLY CRAP it got messy... really messy at some point... add that to my list of stuff I need to take care of in my room.. but it's completely full of stuff.

Scribblenauts is fun.. but it got kind of old because there's quite a few words that once you think of trying them you just win the game because of how ridiculous they are.

Offline It is a mystery.

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2010, 10:54:07 AM »
I rember being scared of mbm when i was like 6, can't remember why though.
Anyone played Eggo-Mania? It's this weird PS2 game that's a cross between tetris and hmm....errrr..Rainbow Island!

Offline Ice Queen Lotus

• Career Advisor
  • Nrvnqsr Chaos
    • View Profile
    • 神曲
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2010, 12:27:37 PM »
First thing I did when spawned god in Scribblenauts was chloroform him. :teach: