When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Scientific Attempt To Create Most Annoying Song Ever  (Read 1681 times)

Offline Legendary Blue Shirt

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 170
  • Meanie
    • View Profile
    • Logical Bends
Scientific Attempt To Create Most Annoying Song Ever
« on: January 19, 2009, 05:15:40 AM »
http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/04/a-scientific-at.html
mp3 in the link.

An online poll conducted in the '90s set Vitaly Komar, Alex Melamid and David Soldier on a quest to create the most annoying song ever. After gathering data about people's least favorite music and lyrical subjects, they did the unthinkable: they combined them into a single monstrosity, specifically engineered to sound unpleasant to the maximum percentage of listeners. The song is not new, but it resurfaced on Dial "M" for Musicology.

Amazingly, this "most unwanted music" contains little dissonance -- that would have been too easy. For the most part, they seem to have tried to assemble these elements in a listenable way.

Komar & Melamid and David Soldier's list of undesirable elements included holiday music, bagpipes, pipe organ, a children's chorus and the concept of children in general (really?), Wal-Mart, cowboys, political jingoism, George Stephanopoulos, Coca Cola, bossanova synths, banjo ferocity, harp glissandos, oompah-ing tubas and much, much more. It's actually a fascinating listen, worthwhile for the opera rapping alone. (We didn't think that was possible either.)

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
Re: Scientific Attempt To Create Most Annoying Song Ever
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 06:19:48 PM »
I think the most annoying part is that it's 21 minutes long.  =\  I couldn't actually understand the majority of things said, especially by the opera rap.  All in all, they did a pretty good job making an annoying song though.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline ShinMasaki

• Loremaster
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 81
  • 真先生 demands attention
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 07:50:18 PM »
lol at the opera rap. overall, it wasn't too bad to listen to...kinda annoyed that I set aside 20min to actually listen to the whole thing...not iPod material but I didn't mind it too much.
Common Sense?! In My Touhous?! WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS!!!

Offline Entropy Judge

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 09:47:26 PM »
Opera rap?  ... To listen ... not to listen ... *weighs hands* ....  Eh, what the heck, let's see what it's like.