hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: The Art of Yomi  (Read 3469 times)

Offline Komidol

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 57
  • わが名は征服王コミドール!、この大会のたびにおいては、フル琥珀のクラスを得てげんかいした!
    • View Profile
    • The Kingdom of Biscotti
The Art of Yomi
« on: July 26, 2010, 05:55:15 AM »
Reading the Art of War lately I've decided to take Sun Tzu's words and translate them into terms of Melty Blood.  For those of you unaware, the Art of War is a classic in historical writing to strategy on and off the battlefield.  We spend months developing our characters (our tactics), but I feel direction and strategy going into a fight will be what ultimately wins each battle.  

At the start of every round you have your forces (11,000hp, If I recall correctly, not including defense ratings), and you select your general (character) to fight with, each with his or her own abilities.  Sun Tzu starts his book by asking seven critical questions in deciding who is more likely to win the fight, which I have translated into my own words below:

-Which of the two sovereigns is imbued with Moral Law?
Moral Law is your ability to follow your general and perform, simply this is who is more confidant, least nervous, and able to perform to full cability?

-Which of the two generals has most ability?
Simply, who is more talented?  Obviously after mindset this is most important.  

-With whom lie the advantages of from Heaven and Earth?
What is the comfort zone of the players?  Is this grand finals or casuals?  Is it a favorable temperature in the room for one and not for another?  Is one player tired?  Does the other player have itis after eating?  All these things factor into play performance.

-On which side is discipline more rigorously enforced?
Who spents more time playing and in training mode?  Who has more overall game knowledge?

-Which army is stronger?
Who has the matchup advantage?

-On which side are officers and men more highly trained?
Who studies and who has stronger mixups/crossups/oki/tricks/gimmicks?  

-In which army is there the greater constancy both in reward and punishment?
Who has more experience (whether this be in the matchup, in the specific game, or fighting games in general).  

Sun Tzu says by means of these you can forecast victory or defeat, which is definitely a factor for those of you who want to learn the art of sidebetting, but that is for another day.

Now, considering the above factors Sun Tzu makes his most important statement:  All warfare is based on deception.

Thus, I am considering making this an ongoing thread about "The Art of Yomi".  I welcome any and all player insight into the art, such that players can improve their mindset (something that can't be done in training mode) and hence, their game.  This thread is to answer questions such as, but not limited to: what do you watch out for in every match, how do you observe other player's strategy, and what are you thinking about when building strong offensive play or defensive play (what is a player thinking when under H-Vsion corner pressure, for example?)

I thought it would be interesting insight into each of our players.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 05:59:28 AM by Commodore »
GenericSuperHero: komidol's not a nerd, he's a visionary
AnFox: H-mech IS a character.
Exciel: It's 2011, use whoever the hell you want already. Fuck haters and relish the salty tears that drip from their skulls as you stand victorious.

Offline furix

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 7
  • Mugilicious
    • View Profile
Re: The Art of Yomi
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 06:39:30 AM »

Offline HRGS|忍

• Niggaboo
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 46
  • All of the Lights in the Sky Are Stars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 07:09:04 AM »
"The fight is in mind alone. Focus your skill, hone your discipline, and trust your surroundings."
- Focus, honing, and trusting starts in the mind. When you have a mind to do such things, it begins to manifest through your fighting.

If you've met me before, I'm a very black and hype-oriented person. I do like to get drunk and talk/play out my ass whilst doing so. While I play in a serious setting, I do like to let loose. But there is a different battle in the mind when I do begin to fight my match. Some of you might not know this but I am very introspective in life. I like to think before I do things. Melty (and any other fighter for that matter) is not an exception. Since this is a game I am very involved in and known this community for a number of years, I have put alot of thought into some of my matches at Evo against some of the best players the world has to offer.

A few questions I usually ask myself before/after a match:

1) Is/Was this nigga better than me in game?
- The answer is usually yes to a certain extent. I take alot of factors into this question such as experience against character/calm under pressure/shit like that.

2) Is/Was this nigga smarter than me in game?
- Once again, to a certain extent, it could be yes. Factors into this include quick learning from a certain trap/mixup and meter management.

3) Is/Was this character better than mine in game (favorable matchup)?
- Simple yes or no question if you understand the character you're going against. If you don't know anything about the character you're going against, the answer is probably yes. Omit this question if 1 or 2 is yes.

4) Is/Was there anything life threatening (character specific) I should look out for?
- Varies. Example: First time I went against Zar, I thought of one thing to look out for: somerheat mixup. Check his meter, check his life advantage, and check his movements for oki. Granted, he never used it against me the first time because I suggest he had better uses for his meter.

Example 2: vs. Sp00ky/Garu. First time against divekick tricks/crossups. Fortify defenses against divekicks and lessen my mashing. Only weakness I failed to remember at the time was the fact V.Sion's throw game is infinite.

Example 3: vs. Bell/Kusa (especially F). Extreme lamers. Focus on a pattern you see and punish it. Don't get too aggressive that you can't see what's coming at you (running forward at F-W.Len 236A, shit like that).

5) Can/Could I win this overall set?
- It's easier to lie to yourself, but don't. Admitting that someone is better than you kicks you to fight harder against them. Even if you did lose, understand your loss and confirm your strongest performance against that person. Even if you are confident to win, don't let that confirm you to sandbag. A fool's first mistake to take his opponent lightly. Even if his melty game isn't up to par with yours, his mind and will is as strong as yours.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 07:14:09 AM by 南の忍 - 黒アルク »
Black people vs. underage looking bitches at Evo - 9-1.
Me: "Show me ya papers!"
Jaxx: "Bitch, you illegal as fuck."
...and never forget. OTG STDs.  Check Akiha's Tea Room for updates on the Donjon Network 2nd Phase live action radio show!

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 125
  • nasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 07:32:20 AM »
"I’ve never been to a tournament where there was a prize for the winner and another prize for the player who did many difficult moves. I’ve also never seen a prize for a player who played “in an innovative way.” (Though chess tournaments do sometimes have prizes for “brilliancies,” moves that are strokes of genius.) Many scrubs have strong ties to “innovation.” They say, “That guy didn’t do anything new, so he is no good.” Or “person X invented that technique and person Y just stole it.” Well, person Y might be one hundred times better than person X, but that doesn’t seem to matter to the scrub. When person Y wins the tournament and person X is a forgotten footnote, what will the scrub say? That person Y has “no skill” of course."

-D'avid S. Irlin
what the fuck is this game

Offline Dipstick

• Poverty Emeritus
  • Melty Waffle
  • Magic Circuits: 61
  • cascade of unrepentant doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 07:35:34 AM »
Worst Nanaya and second worst Ryougi player in the USA

それがわたしのスタンダード!

Offline Komidol

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 57
  • わが名は征服王コミドール!、この大会のたびにおいては、フル琥珀のクラスを得てげんかいした!
    • View Profile
    • The Kingdom of Biscotti
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 08:35:44 AM »
I'm very happy to hear insight and interest in this thread!

I figured that the best way to start in the Art of Yomi is analyzing the ability to bait and observe your opponent.  Sun Tzu believes that after your army is assembled (which I may discuss later, as it is a prologue to beginning your battle) that intelligence is the first step to success.  Hence, deceiving your opponent to your actions is very important.  Now before I start I want to explain that lets consider each match or set a "war", and each exchange a "battle".  I'll also talk about the seperation of rounds and how strategy changes at each point in a round at a later date.  For now, let's treat the time inbetween as a chance to regroup, reorganize, and change strategy.

Let's start off with the most basic quote which pertains to the topic...

-Hold out baits to entice the enemy.  Feign disorder, and crush him. 

I think "Feign disorder" is what a lot of new players misout on.  Anyone can bait a reversal or a shield with a jumpin, but against experienced players it becomes more obvious when making an obvious bait.  I think focusing on really not looking like you have any options (for example, running out of jumps, but still having an EX attack option, like F-Ciel's j.236C).  Furthermore, we all know what our pressure is designed to bait or how to change it up, but do we really know what it feels like?  Some people struggle watching their own play videos to find out, but if that's not important enough you could also dummy mode your own pressure to really see what it feels like to fight against "you".  When you know what it feels like and when what options (like an H-moon shield bunker) feel good against your own pressure, than you can start baiting things from the first round in tournament.

-If he is secure at all points, be prepared for him.  If he is superior in strength, evade him.

Whenever you fight an opponent that is equal or better to your own, one can expect to lose control of a battle.  As LK says "It's not your turn.", so you shouldn't be rushing into a situation you cannot win.  When fighting a superior opponent, try and convince them into using their better spacing and fundamental abilities and reduce situations to mere yomi.  Jump with the intention to block.  Maximize your character advantages.  Try to create situations which make the flow into decision making.  Try to utilize your opponents overconfidence.  I believe Kusanagi did so well at Evo alone and compensated for his lack of matchup experience by forcing his opponent to make the best possibly decision they could make in a situation and being ready for it. 

-If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him.  Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.

As I said above push your opponent into overconfidence in their position and ready your defenses.  The closer one gets to victory (especially against a superior opponent), the more likely they are to take a risk to get the kill or abandon strategy for tunnel vision into success.  Try to utilize any emotion you detect in your opponent, whether it be anger, fear, or ambition. 

-Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are unexpected. 

Most players understand their own weaknesses, thus they prepare for them and try to maintain a zone they have strength in.  If your opponent gets too comfortable you can easily take advantage of their game.  Sometimes teching out of a VSion EX ender or 5A'ing an approaching enemy can be a good move - just so your opponent keeps to their safer attack measures and experience.  Once you move into that zone and prediction, you already have an advantage as you are limiting your opponents options into a more expected attack zone. 

I honestly believe a heavy advantage in a war is the ability to observe and adapt quickly to your opponent.  Whoever observes more of their enemy and attacks their strategy will undoubtedly win.  If two players begin autopiloting, the person who notices the other's strategies will have an easier an quicker access to victory. 
GenericSuperHero: komidol's not a nerd, he's a visionary
AnFox: H-mech IS a character.
Exciel: It's 2011, use whoever the hell you want already. Fuck haters and relish the salty tears that drip from their skulls as you stand victorious.

Offline Lord Knight

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 71
  • Without love, it is lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 09:06:13 PM »
“The greatest happiness is to vanquish your enemies, to chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth, to see those dear to them bathed in tears, to clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters.”

-Genghis Khan

Look at the screen in neutral, make them block, do mixup, have a strong heart, win matches, be a strong decision maker.

Keep climbin', gotta get to the top

Offline Coren

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 64
  • Swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 02:02:38 AM »
"Fuck bitches, get money"
- Notorious B.I.G.

Disregard females; accuire currency.

Combos so bright I gotta wear shades.