When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Finally got my stick!  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Rorec

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
Finally got my stick!
« on: May 13, 2007, 10:55:45 PM »
Here it is!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v694/Magit3k/DSCN0773.jpg

Just started to convert from pad -> stick. Any suggestions on holding it? I can't really find anything too comfortable yet but I've been cupping it between my 3rd and 4th finger for most of the time right now.

Offline Zanir

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Finally got my stick!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 01:15:52 PM »
Congrats.

How to hold it, well I hold it like so:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v350/Zabur/untitled.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v350/Zabur/untitled2.jpg

Kinda hard to explain. I control the stick mainly with my index finger and thumb. However, I also use my middle finger to help with 214 and 4521. I also use my ring finger to IAD to the right (956) but I'm still trying to get it down well enough to do on the fly T_T

I hope that help a little, heh.

Oh, I was told that it's better to just use two fingers instead of three or four. I suggest just messing with it until you find a postion you are comfortable playing on.
“We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”

Offline pherai

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 25
    • View Profile
    • pherai.net
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 01:54:23 PM »
just keep working on whats comfortable to you! There are all kinds of crazy ways people hold them, and they all work. Saw a dude playing marvel the other night going cross handed  ???
I heard anime expo isn't going to be that good this year...

Offline Mailorder

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 34
  • sup
    • View Profile
    • MySpace - Add Me!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 06:06:51 PM »
Looks awesome, man!

And yeah, play however you're comfortable.  Everyone holds their stick differently.

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 125
  • nasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 06:29:36 PM »
Hey, screw you, that's my laptop wallpaper.

just keep working on whats comfortable to you! There are all kinds of crazy ways people hold them, and they all work. Saw a dude playing marvel the other night going cross handed  ???

All marvel players hold it that way.

Anyways, most people hold it like your penis when your jacking off no homo, very serious.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 06:37:21 PM by Mizuki »
what the fuck is this game

Offline lain102300

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 06:50:27 PM »
Your stick looks a lot shinier than mine. I'm jealous now.

Anyways, holding the stick like a winecup between your 3rd and 4th fingers is how I do it too.

Just in case you want some more advice, here are some pointers I learned:

1) The hardest part about stick is learning the difference between the 3, 6, and 9 directions. You'll get a lot of mileage if you just sit down and train your wrist to rotate in those directions. Wrist control, I learned, is much more important than finger control. When I started, i kept on screwing up 236 because I either rotated to high (in which case I jumped) or rotated too low (in which case i just kept crouching). Learning how to keep your wrist at the 6 position consistently will help you nail your throws a lot cleaner too.

2) The stick will jiggle. A lot. This was really annoying and still is pretty annoying. After doing, let's say a 214, when you reset to neutral position, the stick wiggles a bit and you might end up getting a 6 input or a 8 input. This does tend to screw up some of your more complicated motions so don't ever let go of the stick. I fucked up 623 motions so bad at first since I would let go of the stick after the 3 motion only to find out the stick would jump to 9 by itself. (momentum is a whore) Until you get solid wrist control, keep your hand on the stick at all times.

3) You will hate 623 motions with a passion at first. I guarantee you. As stated above, it all starts with beginning at 6. I fucked up DPS so many times because I had bad control and ended up doing 323 which does nothing btw. When you get that down, the next part which will give you trouble is just doing the motion consistently.

Initially, I just tried pulling the stick from 6 to 3. It worked better than trying to roll the stick from 6 to 2 to 3 but sometimes I would miss the 2 and do nothing. So here's what I learned to do: MBAC controls are generally pretty loose. So instead of a 623, try to do a 6123. From forward, pull the stick all the way to the bottom left and then pull forwards to bottom right. It doesn't work as well for Guilty Gear but for MBAC, it's golden.

4) IAD blows. I still can't do it subconsciously so a lot of times in matches, I'll jump forward for dumbass reasons and eat EX Katto. But the best way I figured out how to do it is to go 96. It's just like forward dashing  but the first tap is in the up-forward direction instead of the forward direction.

5) TK was surprisingly easy to learn. What was weird though was that instead of 2369A, TK worked a lot better when I did 239C. When I try to do 2369 I end up super-jumping a lot more instead of TKing. I guess pulling the stick from 3 to 9 makes your clear 6 faster? I'm not too sure. I try to avoid characters that use TK anyways.

6) Akiha is a great choice to start learning stick. She doesn't have annoying 3b or 3c command inputs (which fuck up any 2ab chain you'll ever try to do -.-) but she does have 6c and 4c command inputs. So you can practice basic chains and still recognize when you're stick control is screwing up.

Good luck on your stick! Once you go stick, you'll never use anything else.

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 69
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 12:13:23 AM »
3) You will hate 623 motions with a passion at first. I guarantee you. As stated above, it all starts with beginning at 6. I fucked up DPS so many times because I had bad control and ended up doing 323 which does nothing btw. When you get that down, the next part which will give you trouble is just doing the motion consistently.

While it does indeed cause problems at first, there's a way to do this without too much trouble. It takes precision, but it's easy to get that precision down.

Make a "Z". That exact movement. Learn to write Zs with your left hand on the stick. I'm assuming the stick has a square base. The Z movement for 623 is the simplest and quickest way. Practice this from the start so you don't develop bad habits.

Also, IADs (Instant Air Dash) can be done with 4 or 6 + A + B if you feel more comfortable with the timing. 6956 can be very difficult to get used to in the heat of battle, and the 6's often turn to 3's if you haven't practiced it a lot.

Offline Rorec

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 10:12:12 AM »
Yea, I can't play MBAC right now since my swap magic died on me ><. I was playing 3s last night and messed up alot of 623 inputs and ate shin shoryuken's for it =(

My immediate reaction was like, >< crap gotta get use to this fast since my main is satsuki in mbac... and wats satsuki without 623 lol...

And yea, stick is square based. Sanwa jlf with seimitsu buttons.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 10:15:32 AM by Rorec »

Offline Animeruko

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 7
  • Because its MOE~ MOE~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 11:50:41 AM »
Man I'm Jealous now i need a cool stick too ...