When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Tutorial Videos  (Read 5218 times)

Offline ikusat

• Melty Muffin
  • Magic Circuits: 102
    • View Profile
Tutorial Videos
« on: July 09, 2007, 07:21:59 PM »
Ok guys, while I'm still in the process of reformatting the tutorial videos in preperation for VerB2, I'd like to throw out a question - Karaoke or no karaoke?

The two videos I did have the karaoke, but is it needed?  Would displaying the notation for the combo be enough, or do you prefer the karaoke highlighting?  Or do you find it distracting?  Do I need a bouncing :) to go from move to move?  What!

Offline dakanya

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 31
    • View Profile
Re: Tutorial Videos
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 07:36:13 PM »
Notation is enough imo but karaoke makes your video that much sexier visually =D
thundering waterfalls

Offline Mailorder

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 34
  • sup
    • View Profile
    • MySpace - Add Me!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 08:10:23 PM »
Karaoke looks cooler, but honestly - I didn't use it.  Just seeing the combo listed was good enough

But you should do it anyway since it looks real professional!  And I'm sure it's helped a few people, maybe.

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 08:27:12 PM »
The karaoke was a really good idea. Crisp, easy to read, and helped with the timing.

Now make sure the next vid is actually BASIC this time.

<3
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline Q Chu

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 36
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 10:55:28 PM »
I haven't seen an example, but it sounds like a really good idea, as long as it isn't too flashy. Just a simple color change or highlight would be helpful.
I sent that bitch a smiley face. Bitches  smiley faces.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 06:39:53 AM »
The karaoke was win.  It helps to be able to spot out exactly what you're doing for a character you're unfamiliar with.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline linalys

• Melty Muffin
  • Magic Circuits: 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 08:40:01 AM »
Needs more NBA theme song and "this video was made possible by". 
<Xenozip> actually i think miyako was intuitive for linalys
<Xenozip> simple because his playstyle is.. well..
<Xenozip> linalys
<Xenozip> true chaotic

Offline Zaido

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 51
  • HISATSU - GIIIGAA!! DURIIIRU!! BUREEIIKAA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »
So far the karoke thing and stuff are all pretty good and easy to read.. the timing of the karoke highlight somewhat helps with timing too i guess so its all good
<@Sp00ky> basically ruu got on the stick and started having sex with heart
<@Sp00ky> and she did impossible shit
<@Sp00ky> and arturo died

Offline Sledeau

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • Talk to the cello, bitch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 01:01:37 AM »
Karaoke is great, its really hard to follow some of the combos in the game unless you're very familiar with how the character works since combos go from move to move so quickly.

Offline ikusat

• Melty Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 02:38:58 AM »
Alright, thanks for the input.

My main concern is that the game moves kind of fast, so I find it hard to actually follow the karaoke notation myself.  And if it's actually distracting, then I'd be happy to "remove" it.

The other thing is that while it might help for a character you're not familiar with, there's hardly anything that you won't be able to get after a few minutes in training mode.  I don't plan to cater towards the people who can't be bothered to jump into training mode.

One more question: Should I keep the notation the same or change it?  And should I make dash and jump cancels implied?  If you ever see me type combos anywhere else, I almost always do something like 2abc jabc jabc throw.  Obviously for a tutorial with notation for each move, I won't truncate the positional stuff, but what about jumping and double jumping?  The ja after the 2c should make it pretty obvious that you need to jump, and the ja after the jc should make it pretty obvious you need to jump again.

Keep in mind I'm not catering for people who don't know the notation we use since there are an assortment of better places to learn it, and it eats up precious video space.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 03:21:31 AM »
hmm...dash cancels might be harder to just spot if they're implied, but jump cancels I'd say to leave implied since you are already saying j.abc.  It might be simple and easy to just differentiate between jump (j.abc whatever) and double jump (dj.abc whatever) though...in case there are combos which require a jump attack, then landing, then going into another jump and double jump attack after (thinking about nero, atm).  You know what I mean?
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline AARP|ZTB

• HATEmaster
  • canes, complaints & caddies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 09:30:21 AM »
Yo Iku,

I'm thinking about putting together an Aoko tutorial when verB2 drops. Could I just make a batch of replays and send you explainations/info then you can compile them into a sexy-ass vid Ikusat style?  ;)

I know shit about editing nor do I have the tools/software to begin nor the expertise that you have and I figured that just making reps and sending them to you would be the most convienient way to go about producing a (credible) tutorial. If you do consider my offer, send me a list of prefences that you have for how you normally go about developing a vid (e.g. character colors, vs character [should I choose different chars to "beat up" on?], level of difficulty, practicality of combos, turning on input/damage display, etc.)

zar are you even aware that your attitude is what drove people off in the first place. i think zar's attitude is worse than all of that. cause neither of you guys mean anything. but zar can poison shit around him. zar's the one that gets personal online and does realtalk that's out of line.

Offline ikusat

• Melty Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 10:53:20 PM »
Sure Zar, I'd be totally up for that.  I'll post it here as reference for anyone who might want me to make tutorial videos for their character...

For difficulty... I'm not going to include anything that you can figure out after mashing buttons for a few minutes in training mode.  You can make your stuff difficult as long as it's feasible for a normal person in an actual match.  Like Arcueid midscreen triple 4B combos are not tutorial material, nor is that cracked up Shiki j[c] combo.  Of course, it's Aoko, so it'll naturally be difficult, but don't do anything that has like 5 1 frame links.

When making replays:
1) Just have the characters stand there for 2-3 seconds before and after each replay, and make sure that 2-3 seconds does not overlap with any "FIGHT" text at the start of the replay.  So like, get into training mode, position yourself/wait for the fight text to dissapear, wait for 3 seconds, do the combo, wait for 3 seconds, save replay.
2) Separate replays for each combo/thing would be the best, but if not, make sure you space them.
3) If you are not showing a corner situation, try not to record it in the corner
4) Rename them to something other than the default replay number.

For combos, just write up the transcript of them, and then note any particularly difficult or time sensitive parts.
For tactics/errata, just describe what is going on.

I can probably figure out most of the stuff just based on seeing the replay, but any information you'd like to pass on would just make it more complete(and easier for me).

Character colors: If you always choose a certain color for your character, pick that, otherwise just use default.  Leave the opponent as default color.
Vs Characters: I try not to use the same character twice in the tutorial.
Character stages: Try to match them up with the character you're doing the combos on.
Damage display: This isn't stored in the replay. I can turn it on if I want.

Edit: updated the list
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 07:04:13 PM by ikusat »

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 69
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 12:39:29 AM »
Provided that you're willing to make the video (and take credit for it), would you also be willing to make videos for other people as well? I could definitely provide footage for Satsuki if this is the case!

Offline ikusat

• Melty Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 07:11:27 PM »
Yes, I'd be happy to.  This goes for anyone else too.  I replied to Zar in public for a reason!

But making the replays isn't the hard part for a tutorial(except for Aoko stuff), it's making sure its actually sound advice.  If you're just going to dump a bunch of replays on me, thanks, I do appreciate the thought, but checking the validity of it would really be going that extra mile.