When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Vista SP1: oh god it's finally here  (Read 3561 times)

Offline Dio

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 52
  • WROOOOOOOOOOOOONG
    • View Profile
Vista SP1: oh god it's finally here
« on: March 23, 2008, 05:23:05 PM »
Quoted from SH/SC
Quote from: kevdude
The day is finally here, Windows Vista Service Pack 1 has been released on Windows Update for current users of all versions of Vista. Here's a place we can discuss the changes and problems.

Stolen from the old thread, this site gives a detailed listing of all the changes SP1 brings with it. And here's more official info from MS themselves.

How to get the update?
Just launch Windows Update via the Control Panel!

Not showing up?
Use one of these links: (make sure your video drivers and whatnot are up to date too)
32-bit
64-bit
(these are official links updated March 18th)

It's not working/showing up fuck you
Windows Update doesn't show the SP1 update if it detects your computer has a possible incompatability. So if you can't find SP1 through WU, and then download the standalone, you have a far greater risk of a problem happening. UPDATE ALL DRIVERS, and clean up your system a bit. Then try again.

Dark genius that descended into the gambling apocalypse. What lies behind his eyes is endless jazz.

Offline Devereaux

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 40
  • Drinkin that mirin.
    • View Profile
Re: Vista SP1: oh god it's finally here
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 07:17:10 PM »
Beyond the topic, was there really a need to post this in two separate threads?

On topic, perhaps, I don't know, a listing of changes would be a welcome addition beyond a quoted paragraph telling people to open windows update. Though in all honesty I'm on XP so this really does not effect me.

Offline Dio

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 52
  • WROOOOOOOOOOOOONG
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 07:43:22 PM »
Beyond the topic, was there really a need to post this in two separate threads?

On topic, perhaps, I don't know, a listing of changes would be a welcome addition beyond a quoted paragraph telling people to open windows update. Though in all honesty I'm on XP so this really does not effect me.
You don't HAVE to open windows update. You can use one of the links in the OP. Also, there are a lot of fixes...
http://www.istartedsomething.com/20071208/vista-sp1-changelog/

* Adds support for Direct3D® 10.1, an update to Direct3D 10 that extends the API to support new hardware features, enabling 3D application and game developers to make more complete and efficient use of the upcoming generations of graphics hardware.
    * Adds support for exFAT, a new file system supporting larger overall capacity and larger files, which will be used in Flash memory storage and consumer devices.
    * Adds support for creating a single DVD media that boots on PCs with either BIOS or EFI.
    * Enhances support for high density drives by adding new icons and labels that will identify HD-DVD and Blu-ray Drives as high density drives.
    * Enhances the MPEG-2 decoder to support content protection across a user accessible bus on Media Center systems configured with Digital Cable Tuner hardware. This also effectively enables higher levels of hardware decoder acceleration for commercial DVD playback on some hardware.

* SP1 addresses issues many of the most common causes of crashes and hangs in Windows Vista, as reported by Windows Error Reporting. These include issues relating to Windows Calendar, Windows Media Player, and a number of drivers included with Windows Vista.
    * Improves reliability by preventing data-loss while ejecting NTFS-formatted removable-media.
    * Improves wireless ad-hoc connection (computer-to-computer wireless connections) success rate
    * Improves Windows Vista’s built-in file backup solution to include EFS encrypted files in the backup.
    * Improves the speed of adding and extracting files to and from a compressed (zipped) folder.
    * Significantly improves the speed of moving a directory with many files underneath.

* Improves performance over Windows Vista’s current performance across the following scenarios:
          o 25% faster when copying files locally on the same disk on the same machine
          o 45% faster when copying files from a remote non-Windows Vista system to a SP1 system
          o 50% faster when copying files from a remote SP1 system to a local SP1 system

* Improves responsiveness when doing many kinds of file or media manipulations. For example, with Windows Vista today, copying files after deleting a different set of files can make the copy operation take longer than needed. In SP1, the file copy time is the same as if no files were initially deleted.

* Improves the time to read large images by approximately 50%.

etc, etc....
Dark genius that descended into the gambling apocalypse. What lies behind his eyes is endless jazz.

Offline pherai

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 25
    • View Profile
    • pherai.net
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 08:56:07 PM »
I was listening to Alphaism radio tonight, and Bunkei was saying performance is overall slower when on Windows Classic themes. Anyone experience anything similar? The fuckin Vista theme is ugly as fuck.
I heard anime expo isn't going to be that good this year...

Offline DarkSaint

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
  • You already know
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »
I was listening to Alphaism radio tonight, and Bunkei was saying performance is overall slower when on Windows Classic themes. Anyone experience anything similar? The fuckin Vista theme is ugly as fuck.

Fuck Vista >:D. If anyone wants to know where to get custom themes from just PM me.
<kijea> anyone pick me up for AM4
<kijea> plz
<kijea> i will suck ur dick

Offline NinjaNero

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 26
  • Warblackia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 04:24:16 AM »
I remember when Beta 1 Sp1 came out, we were happy because the beta 1 couldn't access the internet (ie didn't work so you couldn't download Firefox (or another browser for that matter)!!

P.S. Object Desktop
"I-P-C-O-N...'
"M?"
"No, N as in.."
"Oh, N, as in knife" "...yes..."

Offline Sh1k1

• Vigilant Blue
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 43
  • 「これが… モノを殺すと言うことだ…!」
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 05:20:50 AM »
At Slashdot, from the windows-me-plus-seven dept.:
At least one university liberal enough to accept the (0)deeply flawed and mostly rejected Vista OS is (1)recommending faculty and students stay away from SP1. "University of Pennsylvania tech staffers are advising faculty and students not to upgrade their computers to the new service pack for Microsoft's Windows Vista operating system. The school's Information Systems & Computing department said it will support Vista SP1 on new systems where it's pre-installed, but added that it 'strongly recommends that all other users adopt a "wait and see" attitude,' according to a newly published department bulletin." And CIO magazine doesn't quite go so far as to call on Microsoft to (2)throw away Vista, but it does ask its readers to weigh in on that topic.

Links:
0. http://slashdot.org/~twitter/journal/177855
1. http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=206905083&subSection=All+Stories
2. http://advice.cio.com/laurianne_mclaughlin/should_microsoft_throw_away_vista
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 02:11:54 AM by DominicanZero »
FGO Friend Code: 221252074

Offline Hier

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • Blade Ninja Skills!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 09:11:06 PM »
Vista is t3h ph41lz0r!

How much I would love to downgrade to XP... Well I half way have done that but due to some stupid driver issues I can't fully downgrade. Duel-Booting is the best that I can do for now T_T

Oh well not a vista hate Topic  :V
Hopefully this sevicepack will fix a few problems i've been having.

Thanks!
Wants to order the Limited Edition of MBAA...

Offline NinjaNero

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 26
  • Warblackia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 05:07:41 PM »
Vista is t3h ph41lz0r!

How much I would love to downgrade to XP... Well I half way have done that but due to some stupid driver issues I can't fully downgrade. Duel-Booting is the best that I can do for now T_T

Oh well not a vista hate Topic  :V
Hopefully this sevicepack will fix a few problems i've been having.

Thanks!
Hopefully it will fix more that a few!
"I-P-C-O-N...'
"M?"
"No, N as in.."
"Oh, N, as in knife" "...yes..."