When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Well, it's that time again  (Read 58841 times)

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
Well, it's that time again
« on: February 22, 2010, 11:21:45 PM »
My soul is calling out once again.  It's time for my annual Ogre Battle 64 playthrough.  This game is something like my holy grail; however, I'm not here to preach about why I love the game.  

Now, I know that replaying games isn't a big deal to many people, but personally, there are extremely few games that I will play any more than once.  If there's some reason for replay value, such as new game + or whatever, I'll usually play until I get full completion and that's it.  For a game to make me want to play it beyond that...it has to be truly extraordinary.  The only exception to this, of course, would be games based around repetition such as competitive multiplayer games (and even then, usually those types don't hold me well).

So, with that in mind, what are those games that regularly give you the urge to revisit them?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 12:06:11 AM by LoliSauce »
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline MagnusXL

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • j.C Artist
    • View Profile
Re: Well, it's that time again
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 01:07:41 AM »
Final Fantasy IV and any variant thereof. What? A linear single ending RPG?

I know I'm biased as hell towards this game, but this is the game that got me interested in reading as a kid. While that childhood illusion of Square being the Scion of Gaming has loooooong past, I still adore this game. I love the setting, I like (most) of the characters, and the overall gameplay (as dated and overused as the system is).

The other games I've obsessed over include Alundra and SaGa Frontier (rather anything from the SaGa Series other than Unlimited SaGa). I used to be a huge RPG fanatic until I discovered Fighting games.
Honorary BC Player.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 03:08:50 AM »
Final Fantasy IV and any variant thereof. What? A linear single ending RPG?

I know I'm biased as hell towards this game, but this is the game that got me interested in reading as a kid. While that childhood illusion of Square being the Scion of Gaming has loooooong past, I still adore this game. I love the setting, I like (most) of the characters, and the overall gameplay (as dated and overused as the system is).

The other games I've obsessed over include Alundra and SaGa Frontier (rather anything from the SaGa Series other than Unlimited SaGa). I used to be a huge RPG fanatic until I discovered Fighting games.
I'm still big on RPGs, but I've gotten majorly bored with the usual generic stuff.  If it isn't very engaging or doesn't have some sort of innovative feature, I just end up wondering why I'm spending time playing it.  lol.  SRPGs though, I tend to be more lenient towards, as they're probably my favorite gaming genre altogether.

You know, I still to this day haven't had the chance to play any of the SaGa games, though I've always been curious to.  They're that good?
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline Curbeh

• MD/VA Barbarian Horde
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 259
  • Irresistible
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 03:10:59 AM »
Saga Frontier two is a ton of fun. A bit short though...
They can't get enough of me

Offline MagnusXL

• Spellcaster
  • j.C Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 03:34:33 AM »
I'd recommend the SaGa games. They're a little odd as far as RPGs go, but they're customizable as hell and pretty non-linear with their multiple storylines and (mostly) open ended exploration.

Romancing SaGa 3 is the one most people think is 'the best', though I have a soft spot for SaGa Frontier (even though most people couldn't stand it because the game is weird as hell and doesn't ever tell you where you're supposed to go). I'd personally say start with Romancing SaGa 3 (the translation can be found pretty easily) or SaGa Frontier 2 if you wanted to get into the series. None of the games really take place in the same world or have congruent storylines, so you can play them in any order.

The Seiken Densetsu / Mana series is really good up until Legend of Mana. Anything after that is pretty much garbage.

Fuck you loli. Now I want to play RPGs.
Honorary BC Player.

Offline Mightwish

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 04:41:11 AM »
And here I thought I was the only who did this, mines are Megaman 2 and 3, these get me nostalgic every time.

Offline MagnusXL

• Spellcaster
  • j.C Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 05:00:15 AM »
I refuse to mention Megaman X and Super Metroid on the premise of 'being original'.

...I play everything. =/
Honorary BC Player.

Offline caiooa

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 14
  • aprentice button masher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 06:33:22 AM »
The games that give me urge to revisit them are Ogre Battle:The March of the Black Queen, Bahamut Lagoon and Seiken Densetsu 3. Sometimes i end up replaying summon night: swordcraft story 1 and 2 just for the lolz.
HellLion:" i don't use windows 7 anymore. Now i use windows 7ya"

"it's not mash, it's triple tap!"

Offline MagnusXL

• Spellcaster
  • j.C Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 07:08:45 AM »
Bahamut Lagoon lost a lot of it's appeal for me when I realized that you could just set your dragons to attack and win every mission.

Even with all the emphasis they put on using and raising the dragons they were still too powerful.

Still, it was a good game.
Honorary BC Player.

Offline Ultima66

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 08:08:16 AM »
Tetris Attack is the only game I've ever gone back to after I was done with it.

Offline Ice Queen Lotus

• Career Advisor
  • Nrvnqsr Chaos
  • Magic Circuits: 213
  • you're sick, sick as all the secrets that you deny
    • View Profile
    • 神曲
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 09:25:34 AM »
I always replay puzzle games like Panel de Pon, Magical Drop III, etc.

So, some of the non-puzzle games I go back to: Katamari of any variety, Seiken Densetsu II and III, SaGa Frontier, Chrono Trigger, FFT, Ogre Battle, Golden Axe series, Altered Beast, hm.. can't think of anything else right now.
there's someone inside me that softly kills everyone around
they don't know they're dead to me 'cause intent never makes a sound

Offline caiooa

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 14
  • aprentice button masher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 10:07:32 AM »
I refuse to mention Megaman X and Super Metroid on the premise of 'being original'.
Well, and what about metroid fusion and castlevania circle of the moon, down of sorrow and order of eclesia? =p
Bahamut Lagoon lost a lot of it's appeal for me when I realized that you could just set your dragons to attack and win every mission.Even with all the emphasis they put on using and raising the dragons they were still too powerful.Still, it was a good game.
in the penultimate side quest don't metter what kind o dragon you have: they will die very quicklly if you just use they. But for the normal cenarios, what you said is the pure thruth. Anyway, the game that have the most urge to revisit continue to be the snes Ogre Battle:The March of the Black Queen without a doubt (the others ogre i just played one time and become bored).
HellLion:" i don't use windows 7 anymore. Now i use windows 7ya"

"it's not mash, it's triple tap!"

Offline Crosseyes12

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • landed 5-hit combo, new personal best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 12:49:39 PM »
Donkey Kong

I can not get enough of this thing, it devours my quarters.
No one bothered to tell me there was a Cellist in the lineup -_-

Character switched.

Offline ShinMasaki

• Loremaster
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 81
  • 真先生 demands attention
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 01:32:18 PM »
Hmm...an annual Ogre Battle 64 gaming thing you do? Interesting. I do the same thing with Lunar: Silver Star Story and Lunar 2: Eternal Blue...I love Lunar 1 & 2.

Anyways, other games that frequently make me want to go back and play them (or succeed in doing so) are as follows:

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Grandia 2
Skies of Arcadia
Star Ocean
Disgaea 1 & 2
Ogre Battle 64
Chrono Trigger
Almost anything RPG Maker related
Pokemon

Mostly your epic RPGs where they weren't looking to do something 'new' but rather focused on a storyline made of absolute win. That's what I miss most about RPGs, the new ones coming out are going for new stuff...like real time combat, intricate level up (or no level up at all) systems, graphics...and in the end, they forget about the part that especially matters, a storyline that is gripping and compelling from beginning to end, characters that you actually like, plot twists that can't be seen miles away.

Final Fantasy XII sucked when it came to mid-end game storyline. Dragon Age and Mass Effect, nothing was really exciting, it was so bland I can't play them anymore. Cross Edge was good but character development and overall story ended up flopping at the end of the game. Hell, from all I've read Final Fantasy XIII sucks overall for story/characters. I miss having a game where the story is the big draw to the game...gaming overall has become too 'softcore' and developers are trying to appeal to the more general audience more so than the old school players who played things when they were good.

Hell, I enjoyed playing Pokemon back in the day because of the 'lack' of a story. Your character was just going out there on an adventure...he/she wasn't trying to save the world or stop evil...it's just something that popped up while you were on your adventure. You weren't looking for this stuff, it was just part of the life you were living.

You know what I mean?
Common Sense?! In My Touhous?! WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS!!!

Offline mewofforcena

• Vigilant Yellow
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 27
  • Anyaaaan~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 03:59:01 PM »
About half of the games I have, but mostly rockman, castlevania, games of the Seiken Densetsu series, Zelda titles and the SNES FF titles. Oh, add Chrono Trigger to the list.
The April that's farther than May, reversal of limbs

Offline Ice Queen Lotus

• Career Advisor
  • Nrvnqsr Chaos
    • View Profile
    • 神曲
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 04:55:06 PM »
Oh yeah, and I usually end up replaying H games to get all the endings. :toot:

Offline Vhaeraun

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 08:52:54 PM »
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Tales of Eternia (PSX)
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (PSX)
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (PSP)

Offline grandlordzero

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 15
  • ^ Still My EVO-Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 09:07:22 PM »
Resident Evil 4, original GCN version. Pretty recent compared to most of the games you've all listed, but i always find myself booting it up at least once a year for a knife-run or no-merchant-or-heals run. Seriously the best and most addictive single-player action game ive ever played. I don't really play old RPG's anymore, other then an occasional dabble in fire-emblem 7 if im on a roadtrip or some shit where all i have is my handheld.

Only reason this topic didn't get me playing RE4 again is the fact that im busy training for evo. >_>
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 09:14:47 PM by grandlordzero »
Why do I even bother going to EVO anymore.... D8

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 02:12:50 AM »
Ogre Battle 64 is the ONLY game that I've replayed this many times with the exception of Chrono Trigger (but that was back when the only RPGs I'd ever played were FF4/6 and CT).

The only other rpgs I've gone back after full completion and played through again were (listed in order of favoritism)
1. Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
2. Growlanser 2
3. FF Tactics
4. Grandia 2
5. Chrono Trigger

Out of any other single player games, I haven't found anything else worth playing beyond getting the full completion.  Those first two listed along with OB64 and Disgaea 1 and 2 are my favorite RPGs.  I can't list Disgaea 1 or 2 in the repeated plays because every time I go back to play them more, I'm just grinding out more stuff to work my way to an ultimate file (never gonna happen).

Magnus - Can't say I'm a big fan of the Mana series.  That sort of gameplay never really was my thing, I guess.  I'm not a fan of most action/rpg hybrids.

Mightwish - Original megaman games are too hardcore!  I can't handle them.  Too much hard platforming, and that just ends up either frustrating me or boring me.  I'm a much bigger fan of the MM Zero or ZX series, which have a stronger emphasis on action over just platforming.  I have mad respect for those who can play through those older grueling platformers though.

Caiooa - I like Ogre Battle 64 over March of the Black Queen because of the massive improvements to the engine.  Selecting units, precise movement, being able to tell exactly when you're going to initiate battle with an opponent, they're all made so much easier to deal with in the 64 version.  It really makes the game have much less little annoyances and allow you to enjoy all the good points more.  That's how I felt about it anyway.

Ultima and Hasuko - I don't really count puzzle games for the same reason I don't count fighters, shmups, or party games.  They're meant to be replayed endlessly, so it's only natural to go back to them again and again.  Also Hasuko, somehow I end up referencing into Altered Beast on a near-daily basis.  I have way too many fond memories of that game.  It's a shame my copy got stolen back in the day.

Crosseyes - OG Donkey Kong!  Was the game boy version of that the same as the original NES version?  Cuz that's the only one I've ever beaten (which is a feat for me, since platformers aren't my thing).  That shit had some crazy puzzles in it though.

Shin - You know, I have both lunar games, but I haven't played much into either.  I wanted to finish the first before starting the second, but the first one makes me ragequit early on every time.  lol.  It's pretty sad.  I hear Lunar 2 is leagues better and that I should just skip to it, but I can't help but want to play them in order.  And holy fuck, that's too many games to go back and replay for me.  Generally speaking, I'd much rather move on to something new than go back and play through a game I already know everything about.  It takes a lot for me to want to play through a game purely for its story, because I remember everything about it too well as I replay through.  It's like...watching a movie and having someone spoil everything a couple minutes before it happens, you know?  Also random note, I always wanted to play Skies of Arcadia.  I heard it was great.

Vhaeraun - Man, those Tales games always leave me feeling disappointed.  I look at the battle system and envision how they could make small improvements to add so much more depth, and then I get sad and stop playing.  Eternia was good, and from what it looks like Destiny 2 seems even better, but it still just feels too lacking in the battles.  This is why I can't play action/rpgs.  They always feel like they just half-assed the action and the rpg and shoved them together to try and make a whole.  I can't be satisfied with something like that!

GLZ - RE4?  That's a pretty strong testiment to the quality of the game.  I'd heard it was very good, but I'm honestly surprised.  I'll have to make a real effort to get it and play it through.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 02:17:07 AM by LoliSauce »
---

Offline MagnusXL

• Spellcaster
  • j.C Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 04:50:21 AM »
You guys (Shin and Loli) have excellent tastes in RPGs and games in general, though I'd hate to admit that I've never actually beaten Grandia II.

I was surprised to see Skies of Arcadia and the Lunar games mentioned. I thoroughly enjoyed them, but I never felt the urge to beat them multiple times.

I've been meaning to replay Growlanser 2&3 for the alternate endings, but I'm usually lazy with that sort of thing.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 04:52:26 AM by MagnusXL »
Honorary BC Player.

Offline Rei

• America's Worst Ryougi
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 309
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 05:25:56 AM »
For me, FF Tactics and SRW games. Awhile ago I would replay Fire Emblem games a lot. But they've kinda died down on me
<@sibladeko> lack of close buttons is poverty
<@sibladeko> means the police can't use secret elevator codes to save us
<Darcius> poor people not worth savin
<@SilentShinobi> the double down is the black man's lethal kryptonite

Offline Ice Queen Lotus

• Career Advisor
  • Nrvnqsr Chaos
    • View Profile
    • 神曲
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 07:52:05 AM »
LS - I still have my original Megadrive copies of Golden Axe and Altered Beast, complete with manuals. :toot:

I also have Shining Force 1 and 2, both US and JP. I replayed those a lot, just to try different party combos. :V

Fire Emblems too, for the same reason.

Offline mewofforcena

• Vigilant Yellow
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 27
  • Anyaaaan~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 08:28:41 AM »
Which reminds me, Dragon Force. One of the best games for the Saturn ever.
The April that's farther than May, reversal of limbs

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 32
  • Atashi-o dare da to omotteru no?
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 09:18:01 AM »
Revisit? Hoo boy.

• Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Come to think of it, just about any of the "Metroidvanias" I've played and beaten more than once.
  • Gunstar Heroes. Still good. So is the GBA remake, although I never really had any trouble except in Black's stage, which was even more sadistic than the original. It had a good joke about how there was a "Save Destroyer" that'd delete your save if it caught you, though. ;D Sadly, this got axed in the US release.
  • Does playing Doom still count? Yeah, I still play that... I'm old, what can I say? :(
  • Unreal Tournament. Why? It's Unreal Fucking Tournament, that's why. I'd love to take on any fellow UTers.
  • Puyo Puyo. Either Puyo Puyo 15th Anniversary, or (lately) Puyo Puyo 7. I play a mean Feli.
  • Tecmo Super Bowl. Back when my hometown team (The Buffalo Bills) didn't completely suck. At least in TSB, they'll always be gods, even if our quarterback is "QB Bills" instead of Jim Kelly.
I'm sure there's a lot more than what I'm remembering off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:20:11 AM by Dark Pulse »
My mom never saw the irony in calling me a son of a bitch.

Offline LivingShadow

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 55
  • Sanity is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 12:10:50 PM »
Let's see...

MMZ3, still attempting to get a 100% playthrough. Got about halfway.

Golden Sun if just to see those awesome graphics again.

Not really much else unless it has multiple endings.