When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Well, it's that time again  (Read 58912 times)

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
Re: Well, it's that time again
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2010, 03:03:37 AM »
LSauce: You wanna talk balance issues? Puzzle Quest for DS. Sup entangle/gust of wind loop. :toot: I think Wizards had a similar loop but i never played one so :V
Never played it.  What's the two spells do?
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline ShinMasaki

• Loremaster
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 81
  • 真先生 demands attention
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2010, 03:37:36 AM »
Quest 64
Really?  I thought that game was pretty weak.  It was just too easy to break the game.  I learned the cure spells in water, the attack buffs in fire, and maxed out earth to get that fucking...shield thing?  It was too easy.  Just re-shield and buff every time they wear off and keep staff smacking people for free while you ignore all damage.  It's like...uh...what?  Why does a spell like that earth shield exist?  No damage for 3 turns is just dumb.

Heh, I remember this game. That should thing was pretty dumb, but I preferred to play the ranged game and just case Earthquake...or whatever spell that was where all the rocks came down and wtfpwn'd your enemy because for some reason everything in this game was weak to Earth based attacks and this attack would guarantee at least 3-7 hits per cast.

hmm...one other game I would like to add to this that I keep coming back to time after time is the "drink-till-someone-passes-out-and-they-pay-the-bill" game.

My friends here don't like to play this game with me, I win all the time.  :teach:
Call it what you want to call it.  Shin's a fuckin alcoholic.  :V

My mini fridge has two settings, full (of alcohol) or empty.
Common Sense?! In My Touhous?! WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS!!!

Offline Ice Queen Lotus

• Career Advisor
  • Nrvnqsr Chaos
  • Magic Circuits: 213
  • you're sick, sick as all the secrets that you deny
    • View Profile
    • 神曲
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2010, 06:51:54 AM »
LSauce: You wanna talk balance issues? Puzzle Quest for DS. Sup entangle/gust of wind loop. :toot: I think Wizards had a similar loop but i never played one so :V
Never played it.  What's the two spells do?

Entangle made your opponent unable to move. Gust of Wind lets you turn a bunch of gems on the board into air, meaning your turn will never end since you're liable to constantly be making 4 or 5 a shot.
there's someone inside me that softly kills everyone around
they don't know they're dead to me 'cause intent never makes a sound

Offline WYVERN LORD

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 59
  • dakishimetainoni
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2010, 09:14:09 AM »
Ha, I loved Ogre Battle 64 until I got to the part where you form legions. Then I hated it.

I always have the urge to go back and play some shitty squaresoft rpg, like FFIX or Xenogears and then ten minutes in I'm like, "wow, this is garbage. I'm glad I don't play RPG's any more." I always forget this after a year, a need my annual reminder.

Also love going back and playing Super Castlevania IV, that game is cool as hell. I'm pretty gay when I play it, I hum along to the music and shit. :prinny:
a maiden's pure heart is a budding flower

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 32
  • Atashi-o dare da to omotteru no?
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2010, 10:33:17 AM »
I always have the urge to go back and play some shitty squaresoft rpg, like FFIX or Xenogears and then ten minutes in I'm like, "wow, this is garbage. I'm glad I don't play RPG's any more." I always forget this after a year, a need my annual reminder.
You think Xenogears is shitty?

I wonder what your favorite-ever RPG is. FF7, I'm guessing?
My mom never saw the irony in calling me a son of a bitch.

Offline Ice Queen Lotus

• Career Advisor
  • Nrvnqsr Chaos
    • View Profile
    • 神曲
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2010, 12:56:49 PM »
Xenogears isn't shitty, just overrated to me. It's a good game, but I honestly don't see why everyone thinks it's god's gift to RPGs.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2010, 10:51:25 PM »
Xenogears has a godlike story, but mech battles were fucking lame in comparison to on foot battles, and the platforming elements were broken.  I can't tell you how many times I fell to the bottom of the tower of babylon because of that shit where you can't jump for about a second before a battle triggers.

Ha, I loved Ogre Battle 64 until I got to the part where you form legions. Then I hated it.
I just never used legions, since they were basically useless.  Enemy legions never really gave too much of a problem if you were prepared to deal with them.  A lot of the late game stuff was my favorite, since you get the best classes available and the most intense enemy setups.  Those siege missions were kind of annoying though.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline Level 0

• Midboss
  • Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
  • Mash A!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2010, 10:53:48 PM »
Terrafirma (Some game for the SNES.)
The Legend of Zelda: OoC

I could give you some more games but not sure what genres your into.

1) Do you mean Terranigma?  Enix's totally awesome action/adventure/way better than Zelda game?  Because YES.
2) OoC?  Maybe OoT?
3) Doesn't matter what genre we're into, you should say what game and if we haven't heard it, I'm sure someone will be like "wtf is THIS shit?" and then you can explain.  Besides, I bet you could mention something random like Circus Charlie and at least half the people here would recognize it.

Quest 64
Quest 64? Broke as hell.
I concur.
Quest 64 had a battle system I had never seen before, so I loved that game.  And since it was easy, my simple mind could play it and still win.  But, yeah, it's pretty broke.  Kinda want to play it again, though.

MS4 is the one with the escape ending that I always fail.
You fucker!  Yeah, I remember that.  Goddamn, why can't you just jump instead of trying to blow those blocks up.  You grew up on platformers, jumping should be natural for you!  I still haven't seen good ending on that one because of that shit.
I have...   :V  I'll be sure to put my Mega-skills to work next time, if we ever try that one again.  (Also, blowing shit up is WAY manlier)

MS4 was released during SNK's Jesus Saga.
That explains a lot.  Considering this, I'm happy MS4 turned out as well as it did.

I like MS4 because of the fat model chick with pink hair who replaced Eri.
~gasp~ BLASPHEMY.

j/k.  I thought the characters they added were kinda neat, but I would have like them more if they hadn't, you know, REPLACED TARMA AND ERI WITH THEM.  (Even though Tarma and Fio are my favorites)
I have much to learn.  Evidently I'm one of the few F-Kouma's in the west?  If I get good enough, maybe I can make people see why I like him.

Lolisauce: this is why I'm a loli's best friend
Lolisauce: I bring warmth and fuzziness Lolisauce: and occasionally penis

Offline WYVERN LORD

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 59
  • dakishimetainoni
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2010, 04:35:27 PM »
You think Xenogears is shitty?

I wonder what your favorite-ever RPG is. FF7, I'm guessing?
FF7 and Kingdom Hearts are my favorite games of all time, I like to play them while eating pocky and reading sephiroth/cloud fanfiction

Xenogears has a godlike story, but mech battles were fucking lame in comparison to on foot battles, and the platforming elements were broken.  I can't tell you how many times I fell to the bottom of the tower of babylon because of that shit where you can't jump for about a second before a battle triggers.
Agreed, Xenogears would've been great if they just made it an anime.

I just never used legions, since they were basically useless.  Enemy legions never really gave too much of a problem if you were prepared to deal with them.  A lot of the late game stuff was my favorite, since you get the best classes available and the most intense enemy setups.  Those siege missions were kind of annoying though.
Ha, I got stuck on the first mission with legions, but I never thought of not using legions. I just figured that since the game gave you this new technique, it had to be best. Maybe I'd better dust off my N64 and give it another go, because I was really into the game until then.
a maiden's pure heart is a budding flower

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2010, 05:10:24 PM »
FF7 and Kingdom Hearts are my favorite games of all time, I like to play them while eating pocky and reading sephiroth/cloud fanfiction

Agreed, Xenogears would've been great if they just made it an anime.
I figured as much. Xenogears I wouldn't go so far as to call it shitty, though. I never really played it much (I really should correct this someday) but nearly everyone who's ever played it said it was pretty damn good, with a few of them pointing out flaws like LoliSauce did.

None of those are on my "Best RPG ever" list though.

Offline ViceVirtuoso

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • she got me with her wire thing
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2010, 07:22:58 PM »
Honestly, I have trouble replaying most games. This holds particular to RPGs as I largely no longer care about story. I bought FFT on PSN a few months ago and never got past the fourth battle, just because I had memorized it when I was 10 and pretty much never forgot it. There is the occasional game I replay, though:

Earthbound: Easily my favorite non-MMO RPG of all time, in terms of story, characters, and art style/music. FFT edged it out in pure gameplay, but I still vastly prefer this one. Always loved its contemporary (though now dated) Americanish setting instead of high fantasy or sci-fi, loved the humor, the general quirkiness, and the light-hearted mood. You know, that light-hearted mood that gets mutilated, crushed, and incinerated in the last 5% of the game to give your 8-year-old self some of the most profound nightmares of his childhood. I've replayed it a few times. Giygas still creeps me out.

Oddworld (the first two): Another of my childhood favorites, for much of the same reasons. Humor, characters, and nightmare fuel. Played through the first one on Steam about 6 months ago, got 96 of the Mudokons without a guide. Fuck the Xbox games.

No More Heroes: I don't know why I replayed this of all games. It has some serious flaws. And yet, it's mindless fun, and I like Travis simply for his sociopath...iness. It helps when you swing your arms around far more than you need to. Need to get my Wii back sometime to play the sequel.

Most of the other games I like, despite the facts that I greatly enjoyed them and they still hold a place in my heart, I just can't bring myself to enjoy as much as I used to. These include Gran Turismo/2/4 (skipped 3), FF7/8/9/X, Unreal Tournament/2k4 (3 was okay but got old fast), Half-Life Deathmatch and its various mods (except CS), Morrowind, DMC3, the list goes on.

But none of these compare to my undisputed #1 game of all time, City of Heroes. It has since been shredded into very tiny chunks of its previous self, but back before the Issue 13 PvP fiasco, I played this game no less than 5 hours a day, every day. I logged over 1500 hours into that game...on just my main character. I had 7 other max level characters with 100-600 hours each. In fact, if Issue 13 never happened, I wouldn't even be here or on SRK -- I'd still be PvPing in that game instead of playing fighters.
they dont think it be like it is but it do

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2010, 08:21:19 PM »
So that's where the hell you disappeared to.

I figured you would've been like one of the many who fled 2k4 for WoW. WoW was the cancer that killed 2k4; L4D is the one that killed UT3.

Me? The only MMO I can stand playing is Ragnarok Online. Which I do from time to time if I get some friends to join up with me.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2010, 03:38:21 AM »
I get pretty obsessive when I'm playing a game, so playing a game with a definitive ending is important for me.  For this reason, I don't allow myself to play MMOs at all, though I do watch while my brother plays various ones from time to time to keep up on the genre.
---

Offline ViceVirtuoso

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2010, 04:40:37 AM »
WoW is garbage.

CoH is (was) the only MMO I can bring myself to play for any period of time. Though I can say pretty definitively that I won't be playing it anymore unless they revert the PvP changes, considering there's a free weekend with double XP/money going on right now and I'm not playing it at all.

It is not a good idea to get into MMOs. They, at least while you're subscribed and enjoying the game, make other games seem to have a sense of pointlessness. But, whenever the devs fuck something up royally, there is pretty much no recourse unless the game has private servers. This seems to have happened with a lot of MMOs. CoX for sure, but also (this is from hearsay) SWG, DAoC, and even some WoW players say this regarding the most recent and the upcoming expansions. Once this happens, or if you decide to quit for any other reason, you come off of a streak of several years playing the same game and have to wean yourself off of it. You also realize how much your skills deteriorate in other games. (I can't even do well in Team Faggotry 2 these days, much less UT)

One good thing about MMOs, though? They're actually cheap. $15/month is cheaper than buying a $50/$60 game that only lasts you three weeks, or even a $20 bargain bin game which lasts you that long. Of course, this argument is invalid if you pirate everything. Of course, now MMO devs consider it standard fare to throw microtransactions everywhere, so this argument may be going out the window.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:43:20 AM by ViceVirtuoso »

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2010, 09:01:20 AM »
Tell me about it. I got a friend who claims she's not addicted to WoW, and yet she's put in over 80 hours of play this week, and nearly 300 hours total.

Two weeks ago, her top game had 30 hours of play.

I can't even get her to fucking say "Hello" to me lately.

The worst part of this is she's supposed to be artist for my stories. This leaves me without an artist whom I can bounce ideas for characters off of. It also leaves my stories essentially stuck; while I can write them, they're simply not going to be as good without some art to go with them.

Offline Ice Queen Lotus

• Career Advisor
  • Nrvnqsr Chaos
    • View Profile
    • 神曲
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2010, 10:06:07 AM »
I loved CoH. :psyduck: I miss my Moonlight Butterfly (http://usera.ImageCave.com/Hasuko/Moonlight3.jpg, http://usera.ImageCave.com/Hasuko/Moonlight.jpg), but I just don't have the time to play anymore.

Though, I played a lot after they put wings in, because the fairy wings actually looked like butterfly wings and I could finally actually be Moonlight Butterfly. XD;

Offline MagnusXL

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • j.C Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2010, 12:58:50 PM »
I hate grinding, yet I've played more MMOs than I'd like to admit to. I get tired of them quickly enough, though. Lineage II was the one I played the most, which is ironic seeing as it's the biggest grindfest of all. WoW was pretty alright with some friends. I got invited with some triple experience promo though, so that probably contributed quite a bit to my two week enjoyment.

Don't worry about being terrible at TF2 now Vice. They made it shitty awhile ago.
Honorary BC Player.

Offline Level 0

• Midboss
  • Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
  • Mash A!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2010, 02:13:01 PM »
I hate grinding, yet I've played more MMOs than I'd like to admit to.

I think it's safe to say that sometimes, even grinding can be fun.  For me, it depends on things like whether there's significant proof that it works, or if the grinding itself is done in an enjoyable way.  For example, grinding for experience can be fun if you enjoy the battle system.  Or grinding out combos are fun if the increase in execution proves to increase success in competitive play.

EARTHBOUND

OMG EARTHBOUND  :fap:

Also NMH is awesome as hell, even though yeah, a few things are kinda buggy.  Suda51 is a goddamn genius.
I have much to learn.  Evidently I'm one of the few F-Kouma's in the west?  If I get good enough, maybe I can make people see why I like him.

Lolisauce: this is why I'm a loli's best friend
Lolisauce: I bring warmth and fuzziness Lolisauce: and occasionally penis

Offline ViceVirtuoso

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2010, 04:15:42 PM »
Come to think of it, I really want to replay Killer7. Too bad I have no idea where my copy went.

Offline mewofforcena

• Vigilant Yellow
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 27
  • Anyaaaan~
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2010, 04:37:49 PM »
EARTHBOUND

OMG EARTHBOUND  :fap:

Also NMH is awesome as hell, even though yeah, a few things are kinda buggy.  Suda51 is a goddamn genius.

You cannot grasp the true power of Gyigas' attack!
The April that's farther than May, reversal of limbs

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2010, 04:55:08 PM »
EARTHBOUND

OMG EARTHBOUND  :fap:

Also NMH is awesome as hell, even though yeah, a few things are kinda buggy.  Suda51 is a goddamn genius.

You cannot grasp the true power of Gyigas' attack!
Giygas' music during his fight is probably among the most fucking creepy things I've ever heard.

Hell, the whole thing is just full of high-octane nightmare fuel. Considering how most of the rest of Earthbound was, it was certainly a shocker.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:56:52 PM by Dark Pulse »

Offline grandlordzero

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 15
  • ^ Still My EVO-Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2010, 09:06:53 PM »
Gigas was seriously the fucking scariest VG fight out of the entire god-damn decade. Fuck survival horror, try playing a seemingly harmless RPG to the end when your like 6-7 years old and then fighting a fucking twisted,morphing, aborted-fetus, skull.....thing, chanting your name and saying that its in pain, while your unable to grasp the true nature of its attack. Scarred for fucking LIFE.

The worst part? The thing is like "It". Bitch comes back later in your life to haunt you even more. HIYA GEORGIE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=6P_BvrtuxAI

Popped up while i was looking at ranranru variations. *shudders*

If he was holding a balloon in that vid, i think i might have seriously cried.  >:(
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 10:22:10 PM by grandlordzero »
Why do I even bother going to EVO anymore.... D8

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2010, 10:19:43 PM »
YOU CANNOT GRASP THE TRUE FORM OF GIYGAS' ATTACK!

Offline mewofforcena

• Vigilant Yellow
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 27
  • Anyaaaan~
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2010, 01:20:01 AM »
The worst part is that, if you don't use the one single skill that you'd never use in the whole game, you couldn't have a chance in hell to beat him.
The April that's farther than May, reversal of limbs

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2010, 01:29:50 AM »
It's the power of love.

If it can reduce Archetype's instant-kill Arc Drives to 5k with Tohno, it can work for Giygas, too!