When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Well, it's that time again  (Read 58911 times)

Offline YubelPhoenix

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
  • All 3 Knife-wielders are dumb, nuff said!
    • View Profile
Re: Well, it's that time again
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2010, 04:14:13 AM »
It's the power of love.

If it can reduce Archetype's instant-kill Arc Drives to 5k with Tohno, it can work for Giygas, too!
Giygas should be considered god-tier. Scary fetus = nightmares :'(
Main: C/H/F Akiha. Sub: Anyone who doesn't have a knife, a momoji loop, a gun, a summon, a trenchcoat, who doesn't turn into a cat.

I suck at this game XD

Offline ViceVirtuoso

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • she got me with her wire thing
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2010, 02:06:56 PM »
Fun fact: When I learned that this wasn't the final boss of Mother 3, I lost interest in finishing it.

Mother 3 is a sham of a game compared to Earthbound. It lost pretty much all of the quirky 90's-America atmosphere and (somewhat) occasional creepiness that made EB so charming and memorable and replaced it with tear-jerking, which didn't work because it was a lot harder to become attached to the characters.
they dont think it be like it is but it do

Offline Ice Queen Lotus

• Career Advisor
  • Nrvnqsr Chaos
  • Magic Circuits: 213
  • you're sick, sick as all the secrets that you deny
    • View Profile
    • 神曲
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2010, 02:41:29 PM »
DO YOU WANT ME

TO OPERATE ON YOUR BODY? BOING!!
there's someone inside me that softly kills everyone around
they don't know they're dead to me 'cause intent never makes a sound

Offline meinkampfychair

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2010, 11:02:42 PM »
nethack. still the best game after 26 years

Offline Arlieth Tralare

• Die Zauberwaffe
  • Zaubererkommandant
  • Magic Circuits: 123
  • POW!
    • View Profile
    • Melty Bread
« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2010, 11:53:25 PM »
Damnit, now I wanna go do a no-save run of X-Com 1.
<bellreisa> arly *has* given up 3s
<bellreisa> retired it anyways
<linalys> no he hasn't
<linalys> it lives on in crouch shield
<proxyZAR> and it will die there too lol

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2010, 01:45:45 AM »
What's a nethack?

Damnit, now I wanna go do a no-save run of X-Com 1.
What's an x-com 1?
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline Arlieth Tralare

• Die Zauberwaffe
  • Zaubererkommandant
  • Magic Circuits: 123
  • POW!
    • View Profile
    • Melty Bread
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2010, 02:27:16 AM »
Quick review of X-Com 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSoXFEQJnrA     actually sums it up quite nicely, despite being horribly dorky.
<bellreisa> arly *has* given up 3s
<bellreisa> retired it anyways
<linalys> no he hasn't
<linalys> it lives on in crouch shield
<proxyZAR> and it will die there too lol

Offline meinkampfychair

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2010, 08:48:13 AM »
What's a nethack?

www.nethack.org

free open source roguelike, get rid of the tile interface and it fits on a 3.5" floppy.  based on an older game called hack, one of the first games developed over the internet by people who hadnt met irl hence the title

its a d&d based hack and slash dungeon crawler, you pick a race class and alignment and try to get down to the bottom of the dungeon, retrieve a magical amulet and get back out.  ive been playing for 10 years and only beat it for the first time last year, with the easiest class (valkyrie)

dungeons are randomly generated every time you play, and if you die you have to start all the way over from the beginning.  theres incredible variety and depth of gameplay, coupled with ASCII "graphics".  in short, the best game ever

diablo 1 and 2 were inspired by it but they dont really come close to matching the depth of play in nethack
theres other, similar games.  ADOM, angband and its variants, doomRL, etc but nethack is still the most balanced, complete, and fun

oh and its still being actively developed
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 08:50:34 AM by meinkampfychair »

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2010, 03:40:03 PM »
If you own a Genesis (can be easily emulated but meh), the following games are great classics you should play too:

- Rings of Power: Goodness, one of the hardest, if not the hardest RPG in existence.
- Sorcerer's Kingdom: Another RPG, a huge grindfest.
- King Colossus: Hack-and-slash action RPG.
- Warsong: A tough and challenging tactics game.
- Langrisser II: Sequel to Warsong - has a wider range of classes and soldiers but also way easier.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 03:42:19 PM by Alfonse »
Keyboard crusher who couldn't pull off a proper BNB.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2010, 01:08:59 AM »
I actually know of the Langrisser series (and Warsong, by proxy), but none of the others ring any bells.  I wasn't actually into rpgs back when I had a genesis.  I was playing random brawlers and uh...I don't even know what else.  I had a SNES at the same time as I did Genesis, and the first rpgs I played were generic square stuff that most of my generation started on.  I ended up giving my old genesis away to a younger cousin at some point (probably after I got an N64?).  lol, N64.  If not for Ogre Battle 64, I would really regret having my parents purchase that system.  I bet I could count out every worthwhile game on that entire system on my fingers.  =\
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2010, 04:09:16 AM »
Metroid, Donkey Kong, OoT, Starfox, Perfect Dark, along with Ogre Battle. I guess you're right.

Offline mewofforcena

• Vigilant Yellow
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 27
  • Anyaaaan~
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2010, 04:19:01 AM »
There isn't any Metroid for the n64. And why are you forgetting Banjo-Kazooie, or Conker's Bad Fur day?
The April that's farther than May, reversal of limbs

Offline meinkampfychair

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2010, 07:12:37 AM »
I bet I could count out every worthwhile game on that entire system on my fingers.  =\

and they all cost like 80 bucks too lol

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2010, 07:08:24 PM »
There isn't any Metroid for the n64. And why are you forgetting Banjo-Kazooie, or Conker's Bad Fur day?

That's because I don't own those games and I don't know how good/bad they are, leave me alone  :psyduck:

Offline MasterT

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2010, 08:22:11 PM »
Oh yeah, since there's a lot of FFT fans here, anyone play FFT 1.3? That shit is pretty tough, nice change of pace though if you get bored of breaking FFT every time you replay it. I started it up awhile ago and they have some really nice balance changes.

I ate an acid slime and it gave me a stomach ate.

I died from eating a pony though.

Roguelikes are good fun.

Offline mewofforcena

• Vigilant Yellow
  • Magus Candidate
  • Anyaaaan~
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2010, 10:44:02 PM »

That's because I don't own those games and I don't know how good/bad they are, leave me alone  :psyduck:

Shame on you.

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 32
  • Atashi-o dare da to omotteru no?
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2010, 01:55:04 AM »
I never owned an N64, but I did know a friend who had one when it was brand new.

Needless to say, Super Mario 64 was absolutely the hottest thing around till FF7 seemingly destroyed it a year later.

Also, I will profess to renting Super Smash Bros. just so I could play it at said friend's house. Granted, at the time, the very idea of seeing Mario in a FIGHTING GAME was a novel concept.

Too bad the only other good fighting game on there that I really remember was Killer Instinct 2. Now there's a game that REALLY needs a sequel. And it had the whole "Hard rock for a game BGM" thing a good 5 years before Guilty Gear did it, but Guilty Gear did it so damn good it wasn't even funny.
My mom never saw the irony in calling me a son of a bitch.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2010, 11:55:07 PM »
Man, some buddies and I used to play original smash all the time back in the day.  We'd play poverty sudden death, where you set damage at max and only have instant kill items like bombs and pokeballs spawn.  Shit was ridiculous.  They'd often play that poverty sudden death as a drinking game as well, where you have a ridiculous stock life count and just drink when you die.  lol.  Those matches would get really bad really quick.  Late game there'd be more suicides than kills.  lol

Btw, you forgot about CLAYFIGHTER 63 1/3!  I have somewhat fond memories of triple brown betty comboing the cpu into oblivion.  I remember the only claytality I could ever consistently do was that "santa's gonna sit on your lap" one, since the input was easy to remember.  lol
---

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2010, 01:46:29 AM »
Man, some buddies and I used to play original smash all the time back in the day.  We'd play poverty sudden death, where you set damage at max and only have instant kill items like bombs and pokeballs spawn.  Shit was ridiculous.  They'd often play that poverty sudden death as a drinking game as well, where you have a ridiculous stock life count and just drink when you die.  lol.  Those matches would get really bad really quick.  Late game there'd be more suicides than kills.  lol

Btw, you forgot about CLAYFIGHTER 63 1/3!  I have somewhat fond memories of triple brown betty comboing the cpu into oblivion.  I remember the only claytality I could ever consistently do was that "santa's gonna sit on your lap" one, since the input was easy to remember.  lol
Damn, that does sound like fun. I laughed as I read the concept. I'm sure whoever found wands and baseball bats were quite popular, too.

And yes, I did forget Clayfighter 63 1/3. Quite goofy. But the fact I forgot it does kinda prove it got lost in the mix.

There were, of course, some other, really bad fighting games on there, but those are best left dead and buried.

Offline caiooa

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 14
  • aprentice button masher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2010, 03:23:45 AM »
Metroid, Donkey Kong, OoT, Starfox, Perfect Dark, along with Ogre Battle. I guess you're right.
you forget castlevania legacy of darkness
HellLion:" i don't use windows 7 anymore. Now i use windows 7ya"

"it's not mash, it's triple tap!"

Offline mewofforcena

• Vigilant Yellow
  • Magus Candidate
  • Anyaaaan~
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 13, 2010, 06:54:07 AM »
you forget castlevania legacy of darkness

That one wasn't really that good.

As for smash, once I played with my friend in a 200%damage, 99 lives battle, with everyone as jigglypuffs. By the time we finished, we couldn't look at smash for a while.

Offline Sima Matty

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2010, 01:39:34 PM »
A lot of people rag on the 64 but I thought it was a pretty decent system.  Better than the gamecube and wii, but not as good as the snes.  Dunno if I liked ps1 or 64 more though, they both have their gems.

Some games I liked on the 64 were the Goemon games (I prefer Mystical Ninja 64 to OoT, and the music to MN64 is incredible.  My weeabooism started at a young age...), BLAST CORPS!, Mario Party 2, Snowboard Kids, Mischief Makers, JET FORCE GEMINI, Majora's Mask, Mario kart 64, Perfect Dark, and probably a few others I'm forgetting.

I used to have so many good times with my friends in mario kart 64, mario party, perfect dark, and smash bros it wasn't even funny haha.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2010, 02:55:36 PM »
A lot of people rag on the 64 but I thought it was a pretty decent system.  Better than the gamecube and wii, but not as good as the snes.  Dunno if I liked ps1 or 64 more though, they both have their gems.

Some games I liked on the 64 were the Goemon games (I prefer Mystical Ninja 64 to OoT, and the music to MN64 is incredible.  My weeabooism started at a young age...), BLAST CORPS!, Mario Party 2, Snowboard Kids, Mischief Makers, JET FORCE GEMINI, Majora's Mask, Mario kart 64, Perfect Dark, and probably a few others I'm forgetting.

I used to have so many good times with my friends in mario kart 64, mario party, perfect dark, and smash bros it wasn't even funny haha.
It's kind of on par with gamecube in my eyes.  Both had a handful of awesome games, and the rest just kind of fell into obscurity.  Mystical Ninja, Mischeif Makers, Mario Kart, and Perfect Dark were definitely good games though.  I have some funny stories from random Perfect Dark moments, but I'd never be able to go back and play a console FPS without dual analog control.  Jet Force Gemini was pretty great, but I'm still somehow butthurt over never being able to beat the final boss.  I'd run out of ammo trying to destroy that fucking thing on his back to ground him.  =< 

Everyone just used Mario Party games as drinking games where I grew up, but I was never a big fan of them in general.  I guess I'm not a minigames kind of guy.  That's probably why I love Dokapon Kingdom so much more.
---

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2010, 04:12:45 PM »
What about Microgames? The Warioware series is incredibly fun stuff. Only one or two of them are Gamecube/Wii though; they're mostly GBA and NDS.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
What about Microgames? The Warioware series is incredibly fun stuff. Only one or two of them are Gamecube/Wii though; they're mostly GBA and NDS.
Mmm, those are okay I guess, but I get bored of them pretty quick unless the people I'm playing with make it more fun.
---