When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Well, it's that time again  (Read 58359 times)

Offline ShinMasaki

• Loremaster
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 81
  • 真先生 demands attention
    • View Profile
Re: Well, it's that time again
« Reply #250 on: June 26, 2010, 10:31:39 AM »
love your background for your 360, Van. I might have to get one of those, so I can still get my achievements for these fighters.  :prinny:
Common Sense?! In My Touhous?! WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS!!!

Offline academico

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 26, 2010, 11:25:30 AM »
who is the first resident evil in cronogically order?

i want to play all of them in cronogicaly order but i don't know what is the 3rd

Resident evil 0
Resident evil 1 director's cut
Resident evil 3
Resident Evil: code veronica
Resident evil 2

:V
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 11:39:59 AM by academico »
Argentina MB fighter

Offline Van_Artic

• Vigilant White
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • Haters Gonna Hate
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube page
« Reply #252 on: June 26, 2010, 11:34:17 AM »
love your background for your 360, Van.
thanks, tomorrow Deathsmiles will be out on US :D

I might have to get one of those, so I can still get my achievements for these fighters.  :prinny:
hot DAMN this shit is great, i've tried it with these games:

-KOF98 um
-Garou
-Samurai spirits 2
-KOFXII demo
-NGBC
-Dead or Alive 4 (combo grabs are not a problem anymore)

120% responsive, 120% better than the 360 d-pad
that thing can kiss my ass
<Zelretch> i would pay for a Kouma bedsheet
<Zelretch> seriously i wouldnt mind sleeping with PURE MASCULINITY

<ehrik> does ckouma have any hype combos <setrajonas> 2aaa <ehrik> damn that combo <ehrik> is too hard <ehrik> do you have anything easier

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 32
  • Atashi-o dare da to omotteru no?
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #253 on: June 26, 2010, 05:57:52 PM »

i want to play all of them in cronogicaly order but i don't know what is the 3rd

Resident evil 0
Resident evil 3
Resident evil 2

Correct order is something like this. Dates are by series timeline, not release timeline, obviously:

RE0 - July 23, 1998.
RE1/RE:DC/REMake/RE: Deadly Silence (These are all the same game, just redone/retold) - July 24, 1998.
RE: Outbreak 1/2 - September 25-October 1, 1998.
RE3 - September 28, 1998-October 1, 1998.
RE2 (Takes place during events of RE3) - September 29-October 1, 1998.
RE: Code Veronica - December 27, 1998.
RE: Survivor 2 (Though only technically - it's actually a dream Claire has shortly after the events of Code Veronica, thus it's not "real")
RE: Gaiden - Somewhere after RE2 as well as after RE3, since Leon and Barry Burton are the protagonists.
RE: Dead Aim - 2002.
RE4 - 2004.
RE5 - 2009.

Other/Mixed:

RE: Umbrella Chronicles: Depending on the scenario, these take place during RE0, RE1, RE3, and a year before RE4. (2003.)
RE: The Darkside Chronicles: RE2, RE:CV, and a new story set in 2002, as well as a hidden story with Krauser, set during RE4.

Unknown:
RE: Survivor. Never specified exactly, but Leon sent Ark, the protagonist, to collect evidence of Umbrella's "shady doings." Unfortunately, this means it can happen shortly before or shortly after RE2. We can say a date in 1998 is fairly safe.
RE: Revelations for the 3DS. It was just announced; not much is known.
RE: Portable for the PSP. Should be released this year.

You're welcome. :P
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 06:02:09 PM by Dark Pulse »
My mom never saw the irony in calling me a son of a bitch.

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 26, 2010, 08:10:30 PM »
They ditched the entire zombie thing in RE4 and RE5.  :psyduck:
Keyboard crusher who couldn't pull off a proper BNB.

Offline academico

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 26, 2010, 08:43:05 PM »

Resident evil 0
Resident evil 3
Resident evil 2

Correct order is something like this. Dates are by series timeline, not release timeline, obviously:

RE0 - July 23, 1998.
RE1/RE:DC/REMake/RE: Deadly Silence (These are all the same game, just redone/retold) - July 24, 1998.
RE: Outbreak 1/2 - September 25-October 1, 1998.
RE3 - September 28, 1998-October 1, 1998.
RE2 (Takes place during events of RE3) - September 29-October 1, 1998.
RE: Code Veronica - December 27, 1998.
RE: Survivor 2 (Though only technically - it's actually a dream Claire has shortly after the events of Code Veronica, thus it's not "real")
RE: Gaiden - Somewhere after RE2 as well as after RE3, since Leon and Barry Burton are the protagonists.
RE: Dead Aim - 2002.
RE4 - 2004.
RE5 - 2009.

Other/Mixed:

RE: Umbrella Chronicles: Depending on the scenario, these take place during RE0, RE1, RE3, and a year before RE4. (2003.)
RE: The Darkside Chronicles: RE2, RE:CV, and a new story set in 2002, as well as a hidden story with Krauser, set during RE4.

Unknown:
RE: Survivor. Never specified exactly, but Leon sent Ark, the protagonist, to collect evidence of Umbrella's "shady doings." Unfortunately, this means it can happen shortly before or shortly after RE2. We can say a date in 1998 is fairly safe.
RE: Revelations for the 3DS. It was just announced; not much is known.
RE: Portable for the PSP. Should be released this year.

You're welcome. :P

thanks i'm starting RE0 with dolphin emulator.

Outbreak is for PS2?
Argentina MB fighter

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #256 on: June 26, 2010, 08:46:22 PM »
Outbreak is PS2, yeah.

Offline ShinMasaki

• Loremaster
  • Magus Candidate
  • 真先生 demands attention
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 26, 2010, 09:54:19 PM »
don't play Outbreak...play Left 4 Dead.

Outbreak is, in a nutshell, what Left 4 Dead is...with some twists. You play as a random survivor who teams up with other survivors in order to escape a zombiefied Racoon City that is about to be nuked. You have a time limit (not really) consisting of you going through various stages with a more Left 4 Dead feel to it than a Resident Evil feel. What IS cool is that each survivor has different abilities. If you pick the plumber, you can open pipes to crawl through, if you pick the thief, you can pick locks, etc etc. If you, or one of your unfortunate party members, gets bitten, you have a time limit to find an antidote to reverse the zombification, if you don't you become an Infected and you end up playing L4D.

The big reason why this game failed so horribly is that your party AI sucked badly and if you wanted to play with teammates, you had to play online. In order to do so, you NEEDED to have an HDD for your PS2 or else your lag would fuck up everyone's connection and everyone died really quick because zombies were not affected by load times of new areas apparently and would teleport into your face. INSIDE YOUR FACE.

Now, if they redid Outbreak with the new 360 Live or PSN Network (actually PSN is still trash), it would be significantly better, but now it is much too late and everyone will think it is simply a L4D clone. In short, Outbreak had amazing potential and paved the way for the amazing L4D, but due to technological shortcomings of the time, was left with the shit end of the stick.

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #258 on: June 26, 2010, 11:19:45 PM »
Man, fuck Left 4 Dead. People seem to think that game is better than it actually is.

Like Halo.

And World of Warcraft.

And Counterstrike.

*Runs from Coren*

Offline It is a mystery.

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 26, 2010, 11:30:18 PM »
Man, fuck Left 4 Dead. People seem to think that game is better than it actually is.

Like Halo.

And World of Warcraft.

And Counterstrike.

*Runs from Coren*

Agreed.

Offline ShinMasaki

• Loremaster
  • Magus Candidate
  • 真先生 demands attention
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 27, 2010, 12:51:56 AM »
If you are saying that, why not add in TF2. It was by far not the first to utilize the multi-class FPS system and it was definitely not the first to be implemented so well. I would say that SoF2 for multiplayer was far better than TF2. Halo falls into this category as well. Due to its sci-fi storyline and MEMORABLE HERO, it became immensely popular.

But quite simply, Outbreak was the predecessor to L4D and L4D went and improved on much of what made Outbreak so crappy. However, they did remove some of the stuff that gave Outbreak its flair, like the character abilities. One thing I did find lols about Outbreak was once someone got infected and their timer started, you NEVER went and got the cure because it was always in an out of the way location. Your teammate would turn into a zombie right in the middle of the party, so when you got infected, everyone just killed you right there and let you respawn as a zombie elsewhere.

Am I saying that L4D was an amazing game? It was a fun game, but as far as a shooter goes, there are definitely better titles. Counterstrike is boring stuff as well. Now, WoW is something different. MMOs did exist before WoW (Runescape, for example), but it was WoW that brought a new realm to the MMO world. WoW was not the first to incorporate a full 3D environment, nor the quest system or different abilities or character traits/abilities. Nor was it the first to take all of those and put it on a scale as massive and immerse as it was (FFXI).

What differed from WoW and FF-XI would be the story. Sure in FF-XI you had recognizable character classes, but none of the Final Fantasy games (FF X-2 does not exist) have any real connection to any other Final Fantasy game. SquareEnix only tags the name on the new RPG developed to replace the last. None of these games happen on the same world even.

Anyway, WoW continued the storyline that players have been working on since "Warcraft: Orcs and Humans" all the way through "Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne". The characters and situations have not changed, rather YOU are now a part of the story, able to fight these bosses that you had once had to build massive armies to take down. Anyway, that was the initial draw to the game. The game quickly escalated in popularity and the addition of things such as the Arena, PvP Battlegrounds, Raid Instances, World Bosses all added to the appeal that there was more to this world than killing random zebras for their hooves...even if for some reason they didn't have any when you looted them.

Nowadays, WoW attracts people because of its popularity and the new expansions. FFXI is dying off because of the upcoming FFXIV (which looks AMAZING). The new additions are making the hardcore Blizzard crowd feel betrayed and...yeah... WoW WAS good back when it first came out. Now? It's just meh. I would still say it is the best MMORPG out there currently because of all the feedback that Blizzard gets due to its over 11 million strong audience, they have learned to make an MMO that people want to play. They quickly learn what bugs are in the game and move to fix stuff. Blizzard's consistent attention to keep their current audience is the reason why it is as good as it is. But ultimately, Blizzard goes for the sales. They don't really care about physical sales of the game, its the subscriptions that get them money. This is why they don't care about losing their initial audience...as long as it sells, if the people are asking for it, give it to them. As long as it will keep them paying to play.

/end rant

...I can go way more into detail about WoW and Halo, but I'll stop there. Hell, I don't think I even need to touch on Halo.

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #261 on: June 27, 2010, 03:25:18 AM »
If you are saying that, why not add in TF2. It was by far not the first to utilize the multi-class FPS system and it was definitely not the first to be implemented so well. I would say that SoF2 for multiplayer was far better than TF2. Halo falls into this category as well. Due to its sci-fi storyline and MEMORABLE HERO, it became immensely popular.
Difference is, TF2 can be hours of mindless fun... when done with friends. I own TF2, but I can't pub it at all. I'm fucking bored in it without my friends playing it, and they're sadly all playing MW2 or L4D2 now. They're *SUPPOSED* to be playing UT3, but without any players there, that game's effectively dead, too...

As for Halo, I'll agree that it had a good story and a memorable hero. More importantly, it was the first FPS to be really done successfully on a console. I suppose I should clarify my stance on Halo: I like the game, but the fanboys... ugh. That's the sort of pratfall L4D has as well, to an extent. "ZOMG CO-OP!!!" Co-Op has been around since Doom. It's not new. Granted, before L4D, co-op had died off in favor of deathmatch/versus modes, but still... it's not this revolutionary concept.

Since I mentioned it, MW also has the same deal. My friends conned me into paying about $40 for COD4, and they played it for only a handful of months because L4D was growing on them, and eventually won them over. In COD4, I now basically play on a knives-only server as a result, and I'm not paying $50 for MW2. (I wouldn't mind playing it... but hell if I'm buying it at that price.)

But quite simply, Outbreak was the predecessor to L4D and L4D went and improved on much of what made Outbreak so crappy. However, they did remove some of the stuff that gave Outbreak its flair, like the character abilities. One thing I did find lols about Outbreak was once someone got infected and their timer started, you NEVER went and got the cure because it was always in an out of the way location. Your teammate would turn into a zombie right in the middle of the party, so when you got infected, everyone just killed you right there and let you respawn as a zombie elsewhere.

Am I saying that L4D was an amazing game? It was a fun game, but as far as a shooter goes, there are definitely better titles. Counterstrike is boring stuff as well.
To me, this would have made L4D more interesting, honestly - a blend of its usual and versus modes. Granted, L4D did a lot of really nice things, but L4D2 made it seem like they just cash cowed it in a way. If I see L4D3 within the next year, I'm really going to begin disliking Valve. I want HL2 Ep3 already... but on the up side, at least we'll get Portal 2, and Portal is fucking godly.

Counterstrike... my main problem with it (as those on IRC will remember) is that when I play a FPS, I really want to kill people, not just sit around and wait. I think a system like TF2 is rather balanced - you're punished for dying, but you're also not out of the action for upwards of 3-5 minutes at a time. Now, I know a lot of people like it, and if they do, more power to them, but to me, I wind up being bored with my thumb up my ass when I get killed, so I don't even bother playing it. The sole reason it's installed is because GMod 10 can use its assets, and it's always fun to screw around in GMod.

Now, WoW is something different. MMOs did exist before WoW (Runescape, for example), but it was WoW that brought a new realm to the MMO world. WoW was not the first to incorporate a full 3D environment, nor the quest system or different abilities or character traits/abilities. Nor was it the first to take all of those and put it on a scale as massive and immerse as it was (FFXI).

What differed from WoW and FF-XI would be the story. Sure in FF-XI you had recognizable character classes, but none of the Final Fantasy games (FF X-2 does not exist) have any real connection to any other Final Fantasy game. SquareEnix only tags the name on the new RPG developed to replace the last. None of these games happen on the same world even.

Anyway, WoW continued the storyline that players have been working on since "Warcraft: Orcs and Humans" all the way through "Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne". The characters and situations have not changed, rather YOU are now a part of the story, able to fight these bosses that you had once had to build massive armies to take down. Anyway, that was the initial draw to the game. The game quickly escalated in popularity and the addition of things such as the Arena, PvP Battlegrounds, Raid Instances, World Bosses all added to the appeal that there was more to this world than killing random zebras for their hooves...even if for some reason they didn't have any when you looted them.

Nowadays, WoW attracts people because of its popularity and the new expansions. FFXI is dying off because of the upcoming FFXIV (which looks AMAZING). The new additions are making the hardcore Blizzard crowd feel betrayed and...yeah... WoW WAS good back when it first came out. Now? It's just meh. I would still say it is the best MMORPG out there currently because of all the feedback that Blizzard gets due to its over 11 million strong audience, they have learned to make an MMO that people want to play. They quickly learn what bugs are in the game and move to fix stuff. Blizzard's consistent attention to keep their current audience is the reason why it is as good as it is. But ultimately, Blizzard goes for the sales. They don't really care about physical sales of the game, its the subscriptions that get them money. This is why they don't care about losing their initial audience...as long as it sells, if the people are asking for it, give it to them. As long as it will keep them paying to play.

/end rant

...I can go way more into detail about WoW and Halo, but I'll stop there. Hell, I don't think I even need to touch on Halo.
WoW is a fairly solid, if somewhat average MMO to me. What really draws it in is its backstory and history among its fanbase plus the strength of the Blizzard name - every Blizzard title is virtually a guaranteed seller, and to be honest... I'm beginning to almost want them to make a stinker to see if they could get away with it. I'm sure there are people who will buy damn near anything if they know Blizzard made it.

To me what's really sad is that innovative titles are more often than not completely overlooked. Last summer there was a FPS released called Section 8; myself and another guy reviewed it for a site I work for. I had such a blast playing this game. It was such a revolutionary change from the typical FPS model that I was really, truly hoping it would take off. It never did, partially due to having a publisher known for putting out fairly cheap games, and partially because it was a fairly complex FPS to play. Truth be told, I see this as one of the possible two future paths of the FPS genre, the other being the FPS/RPG hybrid (a la Borderlands, another game I reviewed with a few other guys.) Either of them are very interesting, but frankly, I'm sick of the dearth of realism shooters. I love my sci-fi style. I'm not saying it can't evolve along this way without being Sci-fi, but it's like all the innovation is gone nowadays. Anyone can make a realism shooter; it takes real innovation to try to change things up.

I've ranted long enough, myself. I now present the tl;dr version for those of you who didn't read the above:

Oftentimes, people let their feelings about a game get in the way of subjectively critiquing said game. It's very easy to make a well-done, balanced game, but we're no longer rewarding on real innovation anymore, and that's worrying me, because eventually we will get sick of "Generic WW2 shooter #78" and "Modern Combat shooter #43." We're gonna need something new, and without that, we all lose in the long run.

Offline Van_Artic

• Vigilant White
  • Spellcaster
  • Haters Gonna Hate
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube page
« Reply #262 on: June 27, 2010, 05:09:43 AM »
as a TF2 fanboy i really recommend the game, the characters are funny and it's fairly balanced (not so balanced anymore with all those class updates)

the only problem is trying to find a server where people play seriously, most of the time you bump into an achievement server or bullshit like that, and other times, people care about getting the most kills, without any effort

very few times i got on a team that worked together in order to win a match, and i'm sure that's the most satisfying experience you can get from this game, the feeling of playing with a team to achieve victory, and when that happens in the game, it's 120% sure that the same team will win the next match

<ehrik> does ckouma have any hype combos <setrajonas> 2aaa <ehrik> damn that combo <ehrik> is too hard <ehrik> do you have anything easier

Offline motoh

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 27, 2010, 09:02:18 AM »
24 player servers are where you'll find the meat of TF2.  People who are tired of nocrits, instant respawn, mindlessly modified servers.

Also, FaN scout runs ctf_doublecross.  Runs it ragged.

~M

Offline Van_Artic

• Vigilant White
  • Spellcaster
  • Haters Gonna Hate
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube page
« Reply #264 on: June 27, 2010, 06:03:39 PM »
Also, FaN scout runs ctf_doublecross.  Runs it ragged.
scout is my least favourite class, i only really use it for ctf_2fort
and yeah, i hate FaN, it can take whole life at point-blank range, they should nerf it like they did it with pyro (top favourite class)

did you also noticed how the hitbox for the Huntsman is fucked up? it's like you see an arrow, yeah, but the engine count it as A TRAIN COMING FULL SPEED AHEAD ON YOU

i should start to play it seriously again, i still don't have a single hat  :emo:

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 27, 2010, 07:10:59 PM »
What, you can duck in the path of an incoming huntsman arrow and it'll hit you even if you swear it should have flew above your head?
Keyboard crusher who couldn't pull off a proper BNB.

Offline Van_Artic

• Vigilant White
  • Spellcaster
  • Haters Gonna Hate
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube page
« Reply #266 on: June 28, 2010, 03:36:21 AM »
What, you can duck in the path of an incoming huntsman arrow and it'll hit you even if you swear it should have flew above your head?
basically yeah; there's no need to aim
you get hit on the shoulder = headshot
you get hit above the head = headshot
you get hit below the head = headshot
shoot aimessly without looking = headshot, or damage from 50% to 90%
flaming arrow with crit = bodykill on any class, even a buffed heavy can die with one hit

Valve have done 120 and plus updates, and still they didn't fixed the huntsman hitbox

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #267 on: June 28, 2010, 06:28:11 AM »
It's kind of like the first Unreal Tournament, where the top third of the model was considered the "head." Any hit from essentially shoulders on up would count as a headshot.

However, at least it was consistent.

Ironically, compared to TF2, crouching used a completely different collision cylinder where it was IMPOSSIBLE to be shot in the head. They changed this as of UT2003.

Offline motoh

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 29, 2010, 08:02:53 AM »
I don't even use FaN for the damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OO7M4Y4-3Y

Reaching back to the main topic, I recently tried reinstalling Oblivion.  Mouse and keyboard input failed out after a few minutes.

Some research reveals that this is related to AUDIO CODECS?  Installing old games makes me sad some days.

~M

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #269 on: June 29, 2010, 08:19:06 AM »
Huh. Can't say I've ever had that problem. I did have a problem in Fallout 3 where the audio stuttered on the radio stations when I upgraded to Vista. Of course, Creative didn't feel like making Vista-compatible drivers for my Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro, so I had to ditch it and buy a ASUS Xonar D1 to fix the music.

It could also be the engine it's on (Gamebryo) is known to be a buggy piece of crap that CTD's whenever the fuck it feels like it.

Offline ShinMasaki

• Loremaster
  • Magus Candidate
  • 真先生 demands attention
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 29, 2010, 03:57:47 PM »
Look what I just got  :o

Lolis...they smile at death  :fap:

Offline Dark Pulse

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Project2612
« Reply #271 on: June 29, 2010, 10:10:58 PM »
...I guess "lolis" has entered official vernacular now.

Don't know if I'd want a 360 decked out with that paintjob, but I probably wouldn't mind the game.

Offline Ice Queen Lotus

• Career Advisor
  • Nrvnqsr Chaos
  • Magic Circuits: 213
  • you're sick, sick as all the secrets that you deny
    • View Profile
    • 神曲
« Reply #272 on: June 30, 2010, 01:05:39 AM »
oh god ABP oh god the trolling oh god oh god
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 01:09:37 AM by The Last One-Night Stand »
there's someone inside me that softly kills everyone around
they don't know they're dead to me 'cause intent never makes a sound

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
  • Magic Circuits: 159
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 30, 2010, 03:44:11 AM »
What the hell of a game is that?

Offline Van_Artic

• Vigilant White
  • Spellcaster
  • Haters Gonna Hate
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube page
« Reply #274 on: June 30, 2010, 04:03:06 AM »
hell yeah you got it Shin, i hope you enjoy it
the disc has the best image with Rosa teasing you like she would say "put me in the console"  :fap: :fap: :fap: