When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Why can't America win SBO?  (Read 21553 times)

Offline Chie Satonaka

• I wish I wasn´t a white person
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 25
  • STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK!
    • View Profile
    • My twitter!
Re: Why can't America win SBO?
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2008, 12:39:07 AM »
Wow, nobody gave the easier answer:
Cause there's a ton of Japanese people in SBO and only one American?

By statistics alone the American most likely wont win.

Then you have to factor everything else in. Why don't girls generally win tourneys? Cause if a girl is there, she's probably completely outnumbered anyways. Being a girl AND being really good is much harder than just being really good or being a girl at a tourney.

Same with SBO. Its hard enough winning SBO for anyone, but to be American and win is way harder.

Pretty much sums it up IMO
Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak!

Offline Arcrenciel

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2008, 01:01:10 AM »

Then you have to factor everything else in. Why don't girls generally win tourneys? Cause if a girl is there, she's probably completely outnumbered anyways. Being a girl AND being really good is much harder than just being really good or being a girl at a tourney.

Same with SBO. Its hard enough winning SBO for anyone, but to be American and win is way harder.

Let's analyze things according to your statistics then.
There were 3 American teams entering SBO Japan for Tekken.  MYK/KaNE/ChetChetty and Mr. NAPS/Spero Gin/????? I forget the rest of the teams.
There were 2 Korean teams (I think) for Tekken.  qudans/200won/NIN and Lee Mario/Help Me/G-Unit.
I believe there was only one UK team I think. Ryan Hart/Tissuemon/Cris
And well clearly there's a whole freaking grip of Japanese teams that I'm not even going to bother with trying to list.

So here we go:
All 3 American teams were eliminated first round.
The 2 Korean teams mentioned tied for 3rd.
The single UK team did relatively well and eventually lost to qudan's team.
1st and 2nd went to Japanese teams.

anyone wanna do the honors of finding the results for 3S?  Google search has failed me.

and Thana, you need to chill out and not put words into Dae's mouth.
Nobody issued a challenge to you, so quit beating your gorilla chest and saying you'll smoke him.  You probably would, but that's not what we're here to discuss, so save that for another time.
USA has plenty of potential, but are we using it to it's fullest?
I say no, we can do MUCH better than we're doing now.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 01:42:37 AM by Arcrenciel »
Every life lesson I ever needed I learned from Dr. Sub-Zero.

Offline c-nero 5[c]

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 13
  • another well-balanced masterpiece from frenchbread
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2008, 10:25:37 AM »
tekken is a terrible game, why would anyone care about being the best in the world at tekken

afaik the only SBO game that japan doesn't dominate is KoF (fucking china/taiwan)
<Irysa> arcana heart 3 just red ringed my 360 im not even joking
<Sabator> LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
<Sabator> BBCS RED RINGED MINE
<Sabator> FUCKING ANIME GAMES MAN

Offline Arcrenciel

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2008, 11:32:36 AM »
tekken is a terrible game, why would anyone care about being the best in the world at tekken

haha, you're funny

Offline jocund

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2008, 09:44:21 PM »

afaik the only SBO game that japan doesn't dominate is KoF (fucking china/taiwan)

Why would people care about KoF as well? I rather play Tekken than KoF anyday, and a friend of MINE(YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE) knows that I don't like playing tekken.
Dae: Nice try Tom you did your best!
Tom: I'm going to punch you!

Yukio Sumadera (12:50:54 AM): cause Dizzy is hot ABigStrongAsian (12:50:56 AM): lol Yukio Sumadera (12:51:13 AM): and Bridget is......appealing Yukio Sumadera (12:53:00 AM): Roll Casket though.....now that....i would hit anyday

Offline DarkSaint

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
  • You already know
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2008, 10:14:47 PM »
IMHO, Tekken is made of FAIL!!! Virtua Fighter was much better. *Running away faster than lightning*
<kijea> anyone pick me up for AM4
<kijea> plz
<kijea> i will suck ur dick

Offline ಠ_ಠ Dizzynecro

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 40
  • Doriflectos
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2008, 10:24:44 PM »
because americans arn't japenese.

By the way, Are Melty Blood and Melty Bread different games?

Offline Arcrenciel

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2008, 11:27:59 PM »
IMHO, Tekken is made of FAIL!!! Virtua Fighter was much better. *Running away faster than lightning*

B*tch, you're gonna have to run fast enough to rip a hole in the fabric of time to escape my wrath

All jokes aside
Virtua Fighter's an excellent game, so I can easily see why people enjoy it more than Tekken.  I grew up with Tekken though so, that'll always be my 3-D fighter of choice......unless Namco does something horrifically stupid like a severely down syndrome afflicted version of Tekken 4 (which wasn't all that bad gameplay-wise, but a bit too big of a leap from traditional mechanics).

So come along now everyone, let's play some DOA4

Offline DarkSaint

• Spellcaster
  • You already know
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2008, 12:55:17 PM »

B*tch, you're gonna have to run fast enough to rip a hole in the fabric of time to escape my wrath

<kijea> plz

Offline Arcrenciel

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2008, 01:11:09 AM »

lemme rephrase that

You're gonna have to run so fast that the wind friction alone would set you on fire.

You'd have to run like the combined might of Chuck Norris, Jack Bauer, and Vin Diesel were chasing after you with an axe and cleaver.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 01:37:51 AM by Arcrenciel »

Offline DarkSaint

• Spellcaster
  • You already know
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2008, 11:19:44 AM »
O.K. you win(can't find a pic of that anywhere)I'm caught. Would you hit a crazy person, because I like to
<kijea> plz

Offline Arcrenciel

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2008, 06:23:19 PM »
O.K. you win(can't find a pic of that anywhere)I'm caught. Would you hit a crazy person, because I like to

*Is willing to punch babies, people with glasses, the disabled, the autistic, etc....*

If that's what you're referring to...........

Offline HeartNana

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
  • Stealth Momo
    • View Profile
    • My Japan Blog
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2008, 09:29:38 PM »

Let's analyze things according to your statistics then.
There were 3 American teams entering SBO Japan for Tekken.  MYK/KaNE/ChetChetty and Mr. NAPS/Spero Gin/????? I forget the rest of the teams.
There were 2 Korean teams (I think) for Tekken.  qudans/200won/NIN and Lee Mario/Help Me/G-Unit.
I believe there was only one UK team I think. Ryan Hart/Tissuemon/Cris
And well clearly there's a whole freaking grip of Japanese teams that I'm not even going to bother with trying to list.

So here we go:
All 3 American teams were eliminated first round.
The 2 Korean teams mentioned tied for 3rd.
The single UK team did relatively well and eventually lost to qudan's team.
1st and 2nd went to Japanese teams.

anyone wanna do the honors of finding the results for 3S?  Google search has failed me.

and Thana, you need to chill out and not put words into Dae's mouth.
Nobody issued a challenge to you, so quit beating your gorilla chest and saying you'll smoke him.  You probably would, but that's not what we're here to discuss, so save that for another time.
USA has plenty of potential, but are we using it to it's fullest?
I say no, we can do MUCH better than we're doing now.
Add that to the fact that there's more people that play in a small radius in Korea, too then. Keep in mind that Slips and Matador did a FT20 and went like, 18-20 Madator's favor.

Now if you look at Korea, them sending team Korea and Earth Reps were picked out of a HUGE number. The qualifier for the US didn't have nearly that many people.

In all honesty, my reason isn't the ONLY one, but that in addition to the lack of large amounts of people playing often at high level (at least not nearly as much as Japan/Korea) is also a huge hit.

But FetZ got 3rd in 2002 at SC2. That was when we WERE playing games in the arcade all the time and stuff, and if we had sent over more people, we would have had a way better chance. Instead, it was all down to ONE guy and he made it all the way to 3rd. That was more where i was going. As long as we have the potential to win in the first place (which we lacked in tekken) then it comes down to ONE MATCH which is almost luck if you ask me.
My new Japan blog  (updated weekly)- http://arcanaheartnana.blogspot.com/

Offline Abstract Nonsense

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • finding comfort in boning a whale
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2008, 09:47:41 PM »
I know this may seem like an odd thing to bring into the discussion, but has anyone tried comparing the average technical skill of musicians* from the two countries? It may shed some light on the source of the skill differential with regards to fighting games. As the popularity of music seems to be quite high regardless of the nation you're in, it may be possible that a comparison of the general technical skill of musicians from the two nations could shed light on whether the problem is a question of an under-active scene in the US or whether some other sociological phenomenon, like a strong cultural emphasis on discipline, is at work here.

*Both fighting games and playing a musical instrument require mental and physical dexterity, and technical skill isn't that difficult to measure. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 09:54:24 PM by Abstract Nonsense »
[01:46] <@BNAK_OF_AFRIKA> would u get a foot job from mech hisui
[01:46] <MrTopHat> Depends, can the feet do anything
[01:46] <Coren> they have motor skates
[01:46] <MrTopHat> : |  [20:39] <Pfhor> I am going to murder all of you

Offline Arcrenciel

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2008, 10:20:06 PM »
I know this may seem like an odd thing to bring into the discussion, but has anyone tried comparing the average technical skill of musicians* from the two countries? It may shed some light on the source of the skill differential with regards to fighting games. As the popularity of music seems to be quite high regardless of the nation you're in, it may be possible that a comparison of the general technical skill of musicians from the two nations could shed light on whether the problem is a question of an under-active scene in the US or whether some other sociological phenomenon, like a strong cultural emphasis on discipline, is at work here.

*Both fighting games and playing a musical instrument require mental and physical dexterity, and technical skill isn't that difficult to measure. 

I'm relatively certain that it's because of an under-active, technically I should say dead or dying, arcade culture here in the USA.
I've seen plenty of "signs" that we have the potential to join the Japanese and the Koreans in the big leagues, just that we don't properly utilize or bring out that potential.
But for now, I think we should aim for something more realistic.  Something along the lines of not getting our asses handed to us cold in the first round.  Then worry about making it to semi-finals, finals, winning, etc later.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 10:27:31 PM by Arcrenciel »

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 125
  • nasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2008, 10:27:50 PM »
I think this has gone on long enough.
what the fuck is this game

Offline Arlieth Tralare

• Die Zauberwaffe
  • Zaubererkommandant
  • Magic Circuits: 123
  • POW!
    • View Profile
    • Melty Bread
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2008, 11:50:45 PM »
Unlocking thread- some of the discussion actually has merit. Even though it's depressing.
<bellreisa> arly *has* given up 3s
<bellreisa> retired it anyways
<linalys> no he hasn't
<linalys> it lives on in crouch shield
<proxyZAR> and it will die there too lol

Offline pherai

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 25
    • View Profile
    • pherai.net
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2008, 04:50:45 AM »
Unlocking thread- some of the discussion actually has merit. Even though it's depressing.

I blame Arly for his poor organization!! We'll get this thread relocked again whatever it takes!!  :psyduck:
I heard anime expo isn't going to be that good this year...

Offline jocund

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2008, 02:06:45 PM »
Even though its depressing, but we also have to face the facts, I mean thats why we're discussing this to improve as a whole not as one.

Yukio Sumadera (12:50:54 AM): cause Dizzy is hot ABigStrongAsian (12:50:56 AM): lol Yukio Sumadera (12:51:13 AM): and Bridget is......appealing Yukio Sumadera (12:53:00 AM): Roll Casket though.....now that....i would hit anyday

Offline FireBearHero

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
  • Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2008, 03:44:59 PM »
If japanese spirit has taught me anything, it's this:

It doesn't matter what buttons you press or how fast you press them, it's how hard you press them that really counts.

Offline Soniti

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 7
  • 。。。
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2008, 09:44:41 PM »
If japanese spirit has taught me anything, it's this:

It doesn't matter what buttons you press or how fast you press them, it's how hard you press them that really counts.
I thought the Japanese didn't play Marvel.

Offline Arcrenciel

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2008, 11:05:04 PM »
Curious, anybody willing to put together a group of players solely dedicated to gaming their asses off in MB for SBO?
Playing casuals like it's a money match and stepping your gameplay up another notch during tournies and actual MMs.

Offline jocund

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2008, 09:46:37 PM »
Curious, anybody willing to put together a group of players solely dedicated to gaming their asses off in MB for SBO?
Playing casuals like it's a money match and stepping your gameplay up another notch during tournies and actual MMs.

Some people are still playing online, but I do wonder who's playing serious and not. But I believe some people want to still have fun with this game. I play serious still online just to get better, work on my problems, go to school and work.

Offline MyvTeddy

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2008, 07:19:51 PM »
Sorry for asking but whats SBO ^^;;

Offline dakanya

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 31
    • View Profile
thundering waterfalls