When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: OnLive - Cloud Computed Gaming  (Read 3416 times)

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
  • Magic Circuits: 159
    • View Profile
OnLive - Cloud Computed Gaming
« on: March 24, 2009, 12:37:10 AM »
Scary things appear on the internet but there hasn't been a revolution for a long time, often for years. But this may have enough potential to let enough people out there literally shit bricks.

The idea of the concept is simple: You start your OnLive client, select a game and it's not started on your PC or console but on the OnLive servers, only receiving input signals from your keyboard or gamepad. Then, a video stream is sent back - quality depending on your internet connection - with minimal lag or delay. The system is not limited to PC or console gaming, also for "older" systems like Atari, C64.

The guys from Kotaku have tested that and as you can read on the page, were surprised that it actually worked with Crisis Wars. Although, only about 100 testing people were on the server, so you can't really guess what happens with several thousand people online, the delay will increase for sure. Cloud Computing won't help much there.
If this is going to be real, then console boys have no future.

So, I just wanted to post that. I was surprised.

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
Re: OnLive - Cloud Computed Gaming
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 04:07:37 AM »
So, this new technology allows you to play a game that runs on machines on their end? Sounds good.  :V
Keyboard crusher who couldn't pull off a proper BNB.

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 04:40:34 AM »
In fact, it allows you to play high definition games on a standard pc that supports video playback.

I believe that if this system prevails, not the "new" games will be popular among the users but the casual ones. Those you can play whenever you want, fighting games, racers, arcade...

Offline Sh1k1

• Vigilant Blue
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 43
  • 「これが… モノを殺すと言うことだ…!」
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 06:08:38 AM »
Sounds interesting, but even though it's WB backing this, unless they have city-sized mainframe-powered datacenters, the moment it gets a few million people logged in is the moment its nose meets the wall. I'm not saying it'll be a complete failure, but I'm not exactly thrilled because of the backlash this could generate.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 10:28:59 AM by DominicanZero »
FGO Friend Code: 221252074

Offline mewofforcena

• Vigilant Yellow
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 27
  • Anyaaaan~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 06:10:15 AM »
It's far from saying console boys have no future, though. What about times when you're offline?
The April that's farther than May, reversal of limbs

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 06:47:12 AM »
The biggest critique point about this is the high broadband connection one needs. 1.5MB for SD and 5MB for HD. This is only available in certain city points. This is expanding, of course. Higher speeds get standard. Slowly, but they do.

And I was saying that console has no future because of the fact that you can play with a low budget (at least they say) on every TV or PC or whatever considering a flatrate with high bandwith and since this topic relates to online gaming (variation)... you know?

Offline llama_egg

• Vigilant Green
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 17
  • Zombiefication! Roar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 10:14:15 AM »
Yeah, I was reading 'bout this yesterday, and quite interesting technology, though not without it's kinks. Just trying to fathom the servers they would need to have set up for a large amount of consumers  :psyduck:

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 10:15:45 AM »
Sounds pretty amazing while still viewed at in a small scale.  Like DZ, I'm a bit skeptic of how it'll work on a large scale, but I certainly hope for the best.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline dzdoom

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
  • NOW YOU FACE DOOM!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 10:17:14 PM »
Thats a lot of processing power it seems like a good idea easier to connect with people to. 

Offline ShinMasaki

• Loremaster
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 81
  • 真先生 demands attention
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 01:39:47 AM »
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/3/25/

Besides being rendered in the clouds, I don't know how well this is going to work. Once it gets popular, their servers are going to die a horrific death as they become overloaded with people. The other big thing that is happening is games are now available for download direct to console now...WiiWare, Playstation Store, 360 Marketplace...this may eventually rule out the need for physical on hand discs/cartridges but will rely heavily on the users' console. That is the way I think things are going to be headed. Not too good news for me who works in video game retail, but I think it is more assured than a server side running the games with XX number of people on them simultaneously versus users who download the games from the server and play on their unit.

There are also a number of sites and such online that do the same thing, i.e. Steam, where you can purchase the games online and download it direct to your PC and play it from there. Hosting a server where 50,000 people play on simultaneously isn't a problem. MMOs do it all the time. Hosting a server where you are hosting the games where 50,000 people are playing simultaneously is going to overload them really quick.

They just need to make The World (from .Hack) and have it play exactly like it does in the anime/game as the ultimate MMO and then everyone would be content. I mean...if you watch the anime (besides Tsukasa) it's like people actually lived there in the game.
Common Sense?! In My Touhous?! WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS!!!

Offline mewofforcena

• Vigilant Yellow
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 27
  • Anyaaaan~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 02:39:19 AM »
They just need to make The World and have it stop time in order to control the world.
The April that's farther than May, reversal of limbs

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 06:59:26 AM »
First, the guys from OnLive HAVE the money to develop such a cpu immensive technique with an own server network. I mean, they didn't spent million dollars in a project without testing the functionality inbefore? Sure, they haven't tested it with many people, but this is why the open beta is going to be released. They have a concept and they think it through.

I just had other thoughts about this:
The concept itself WILL prevail, considering there is no other - better - method being developed in the next few years which eliminates piratery, second hand trading, rental companies and wasted money for retail ware at once. Sony would bust their asses to build such a network offering their very own software. And I wouldn't be surprised if the next console generation makes a big step in this direction. I must take back my statement that console boys have no future. In fact, all involved would profit from this.
The offered games on OnLive are most multi platformers and I think Microsoft and Sony will cook up with something to bind gamers to their company. Nintendo is out, because OnLive seems not to work with Wii and DS.

The only real problem is the lag, and this is even not one. Nobody will except this system succeeds from one day to another. At today's state there are more than many people having a big broadband connection and the structure still increases and grows. We haven't even reached the border of technology possibilities.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 07:06:05 AM by Rowanism »

Offline llama_egg

• Vigilant Green
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 17
  • Zombiefication! Roar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 11:46:32 AM »
Speaking of piracy, if it takes off "Goo" could be very interesting, and not only would it stop pirating (to an extent, and this is of course if it works), but it would also allow for selling it second hand.

Now back on topic, I personally find that the more I look into this, the more "holes" it has per-say. For one is the requirement of a 5mb download connection, I still[ know alot of people who are unable to get those speeds due to where they are living, in both the States and across the border in Canada. Not only that, but alot of connections have horrible cut off rates for how much bandwidth you can use, yes, I know they mentioned it won't take the full 5mb at all times, but it still adds up. Their solution? Hoping that providers will make a deal when it comes to the cloud service.

:psyduck:

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 12:08:24 PM »
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 12:11:08 PM by Rowanism »