hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: yumiduka?  (Read 3772 times)

Offline ಠ_ಠ Dizzynecro

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 40
  • Doriflectos
    • View Profile
yumiduka?
« on: August 06, 2007, 10:40:48 PM »
why is her name always misspelled? did MB programmers typo it once and not want to admit they were wrong and just go with it since then?

By the way, Are Melty Blood and Melty Bread different games?

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • Magic Circuits: 51
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
Re: yumiduka?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 10:54:23 PM »
Well, there's also another typo in the pc ver.B2 for those who don't already know. Arc's last name is spelled "Brunnstud" in-game but it's spelled correctly everywhere else. I'd also like to know why they use a "=" to separate her first and last names. :\
<--- "the irony of being one of the least anime people in the anime FGC" - bell

Offline magz

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 18
  • An Genuflecting Hero
    • View Profile
    • FrozenHeat
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 11:40:07 PM »
why is her name always misspelled? did MB programmers typo it once and not want to admit they were wrong and just go with it since then?
Something about du being the equivalent of tzu in Japanese or something like that.
"Accent Core is perfection. It's like the concept of freedom captured into a videogame."

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 12:47:54 AM »
Something about du being the equivalent of tzu in Japanese or something like that.
But wasn't the original Yumizuka?  zu and du are completely different letters altogether, so that would make no sense at all.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline ಠ_ಠ Dizzynecro

• Magus Candidate
  • Doriflectos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 12:53:34 AM »
But wasn't the original Yumizuka?  zu and du are completely different letters altogether, so that would make no sense at all.
who needs logic?

By the way, Are Melty Blood and Melty Bread different games?

Offline magz

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 18
  • An Genuflecting Hero
    • View Profile
    • FrozenHeat
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 12:55:27 AM »
Lol, I thought it was Yumitsuka myself >_> Bah, Japanese game programmers know not of consistency.
"Accent Core is perfection. It's like the concept of freedom captured into a videogame."

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 69
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 01:01:50 AM »
It's bad romaji. Valid, but bad. Blame Nihon-shiki romanization. Read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romaji

It's all Shiki's fault. :mystery:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 01:39:05 AM by Choco »

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 01:21:18 AM »
Lol, I thought it was Yumitsuka myself >_> Bah, Japanese game programmers know not of consistency.
Yeah, if it is tsu, then that makes a bit more sense.  Random added accent.  lol

Either way, I say both Yumizuka and Yumitsuka sound better than Yumiduka.  =<
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline Devereaux

• Magus Candidate
  • Drinkin that mirin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 08:55:29 AM »
Well, there's also another typo in the pc ver.B2 for those who don't already know. Arc's last name is spelled "Brunnstud" in-game but it's spelled correctly everywhere else. I'd also like to know why they use a "=" to separate her first and last names. :\

Anyone with an equal sign in their names has to be bad ass right?

Offline Pikachu_Fragger

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • "I'm gonna kick some ass with my own pipe wrench"
    • View Profile
    • The Initial D Roleplaying Stage
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 07:43:44 PM »
Well, the name Brunestud is actually a title conferred to True Ancestors or Dead Apostles (in Altrouge's case) whose powers are close to the original Crimson Moon, the model of the True Ancestors. In Arc's case, she earned it because she can summon the Millennium Castle Brunestud, which hasn't appeared since Zelretch destroyed Crimson Moon.

So technically, Arcueid is a Brunestud, therefore Arcueid = Brunestud.

That or I'm just covering for the programmers just for the lulz.

:psyduck:
At a time like this... I WISH I HAD A DIGITAL CAMERA!

The more beautiful and pure a thing is... the more satisfying it is to corrupt, isn't it?

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 10:39:39 PM »
I've actually seen the = used between names in various games, usually when the names are exceptionally long.  Perhaps it has something to do with that?
---

Offline ikusat

• Melty Muffin
  • Magic Circuits: 102
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 08:23:04 AM »
It's Yumiduka because it's Yumiduka.

It sounds like Yumizuka to us(and probably to most Japanese people), but du is the vocalized form of "tsu"(or tu, in kunreishiki).  Just apply the same sound transformation from ta -> da and to -> do for tsu->dsu, and you'll get something like dzu, which mostly sounds like zu.  If you are to type this into your windows IME, and you will find that only Yumiduka gets you the correct kanji, while Yumizuka gets you something like "hot and cold water?"

Hepburn romanization generally lumps the du and zu sounds together and just spells it as zu, and generally in official spellings and whatnot, they use Hepburn because it looks better, so why they chose to leave Satsuki's last name like this, I have no idea.

This kana is not that uncommon though.  A common word you hear in melty blood is something like "tsuzukeru", or let's continue.  That zu there is actually the same pronunciation as the du in Yumiduka, so you can type tsuzuku into your IME all day and not find the kanji for it, because it's looking for tsuduku.

Offline Tropsy

• Soul Hacker
  • Magic Circuits: 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 04:43:05 PM »
hepburn nanka tukatteru yatu gatide sine

と言っても大丈夫だろう。sacchin toastだし

crj*;dr: hepburn fails

* can't read japanese

EDIT: Wasn't this in Sacchin Toast? Oh well, that's my opinion anyway.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 07:00:59 AM by Tropsy »