When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: MBAA V. Akiha video thread  (Read 10067 times)

Offline LordPangTong

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 54
  • We troll hard
    • View Profile
MBAA V. Akiha video thread
« on: June 07, 2009, 07:22:29 AM »
Though this was already posted in Kohaku's Video Room, I feel it deserves additional attention here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uNZfy3CgJM&feature=PlayList&p=9D085566AF3FF432&index=3

F-V Akiha OCV. The player is Shadow.  :fap: :fap: :fap:
<justzar> great anime <3

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
Re: MBAA V. Akiha video thread
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 05:27:09 PM »
Since this was the only MBAA vid, I split this post from the old video thread.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline Psylocke

• Psyduck
  • Magic Circuits: 120
    • View Profile
    • Blog of Randomness
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 03:50:16 PM »
Blog

‹ Tatari|JE › I have another friend who would play MB if it was "less like Mortal Kombat"
‹ HalVegas2 › how do you compare those two ‹ sphy › every time you touch someone in mb it turns into a BRUTALITY

Offline roski

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 07:18:49 AM »
Here's a FT5 MM - Brandino vs. Myself. I won, but thought I'd post here to see if any of you want to critique. Any tournament H-VAkiha players (LK, Lord Pang Tong, anyone), please tear me apart.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjifUj03OfA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMcfWjgb0Wc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWwmXZDJEtc

Offline dakanya

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 09:36:28 AM »
i only watched vid 2 and 3

your midscreen momiji oki is really weak. i suggest neutral jump immediate sdj meaty j.C airdash~ if there's too much space between them the usual superjump mixup is fine

when you enter max and aren't able to kill with your current combo but can with the next, drop the momiji loop prematurely and setup EX pit asap so you maintain some meter for autoburst. you would have bursted through his shield bunker.

you have enough time after EX pit to land and start your oki from there which would make it stronger but yeah as it is your mixups are kind of weak

everything else i could say is subjective and it will also depend on how much risk you want to take. i could go on into pressure/blockstrings from here but i'll just point out that what you were doing post-2c on block was obvious and wasn't gonna work.
thundering waterfalls

Offline roski

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 11:05:38 AM »
thanks man

your midscreen momiji oki is really weak. i suggest neutral jump immediate sdj meaty j.C airdash~ if there's too much space between them the usual superjump mixup is fine
i'm guessing this gives you a better timing with a meatier jC? i do have trouble making this look ambiguous.

when you enter max and aren't able to kill with your current combo but can with the next, drop the momiji loop prematurely and setup EX pit asap so you maintain some meter for autoburst. you would have bursted through his shield bunker.
i like that. i would assume this is right after going into max? drop, EX pit (uses about 40% bar), mixup?

what's your opinion on the reset vs the guaranteed damage? what about with max bar closer to the end...just drop the combo, forgo the pit, and then just go wild with the last bit of burst?

you have enough time after EX pit to land and start your oki from there which would make it stronger but yeah as it is your mixups are kind of weak
i thought about this when watching the video, that he didn't get hit by any of my post momiji mixup. we have played a lot and he's got good reaction vs that and empty jump mixup, but it did look stale. anything more specific here? in a lot of instances i'm attacking with consideration to his wakeup options.

everything else i could say is subjective and it will also depend on how much risk you want to take. i could go on into pressure/blockstrings from here but i'll just point out that what you were doing post-2c on block was obvious and wasn't gonna work.
yeah that was a lot of habit and autopilot and just kind of giving me a moment to see what he's doing (if you're referring to the ribbons...i don't really like using those in H because they have a tendency to get me killed but that didn't stop my hands from doing the motion =p). what other options do you suggest?

the 2A2A5C5B2C whiff 5A seems to be the blockstring i use most often (not necessarily in the vids but in general) because it seems to set a good distance for iad options (have to get them respecting the movement first though).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 11:07:54 AM by roski »

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 12:11:39 PM »
oops i forgot to write out all the details so im correcting myself here
i suggest neutral jump immediate sdj airdash meaty j.C airdash~
if there's too much space between them and the corner the usual superjump mixup is fine

not just right after max but after a momiji so you still get the knockdown. so it's not really a reset.

it's just situational, when they're gonna die in one more combo anyways.
unless you need the damage, getting more use out of the max mode is better.
the burst is good and when you forgo the pit you actually seal off an easy bunker option

conserving an airdash and fuzzying off of j.A is solid

after 2C i will generally try to catch jumps with 5C 4C or 2C and i'll reverse beat first to be deceptive about it 
if they respect it i'll go for pillars but i only really like to use 2C against people who are jumpy and instead of 2C i'll do pillars
thundering waterfalls

Offline LordPangTong

• Spellcaster
  • We troll hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 10:42:26 PM »
Alrighty here's my feedback:

First and foremost, hands off color 9 son!  >:(

Watching your movement in neutral play is very sloppy. You mostly just jump up, air dash til you can't anymore, then throw out a late J.C. Don't be afraid to utilize H-Vakiha's other air options; J.A is great for snuffing people below you, and it beats out a fair amount of air to air moves. J.B is great for snaking in with an air dash and counter hit fishing. (which you did very little/none of) J.C is a very useful air normal as well, but it is best used air to ground. Besides air normals, you have air pits to play with. (While this is usually somewhat difficult to do vs F-Ciel, Brandino was making no such attempt to zone you out of it. If it's there, take itttt) Aerial pits give you free combos/pressure if you catch your target.

Next: Post-momiji oki. Yours is a bit... disjointed? Throwing out J.22C is all well and good, but your air dash in pressure was a bit weak. Try landing from the J.22C and then IAD'ing in for the pressure reset. Also, go for dash TK.236A pressure more to break up the monotony. (IMO) It is more effective and forces your opponent to react instead of sitting there blocking a pit.

During blockstrings, try to use charged pillar more than normal pillar. (Saw you whiff a couple normal 214A/Bs. Very dangerous due to long recovery) Also, do not be afraid to stagger your normals a bit more to scare your opponent. Your blockstrings seem rushed and sometimes incomplete.

4C works as a pretty good anti-air, give it a go. 5C has a nice hitbox for it, but the wallslam kills it unless you're doing it somewhere near the corner. 4C gives you plenty of time to get a full air combo into knockdown off of.

Great job taking 1st in the tournament, and congrats on takin' that $30 man. Warms my heart to hear I'm not the only Vakiha on the EC!  ;D

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:43:58 PM by LordPangTong »
<justzar> great anime <3

Offline Lord Knight

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 71
  • Without love, it is lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 12:35:43 AM »
Stuff that those guys didn't talk about:

Your confirms are sloppy too :|. Example at ~1:27 you get a couple of 2A's and then go into 5C 4C 2C momiji, you should always be in the habit of doing 5B before 2C or confirming into 5A6AA (you were in a good range). A couple of seconds later you confirm badly again.

You really do have more air normals than j.C but LPT covered that.

Not enough punishing him for chicken blocking :/. Vakiha j.A is good at forcing people in that position. She's not like Warc and can't replicate airdash OS (at least not at some of the heights you were doing airdash stuff and he was blocking).

Also it's ok to do the low option in mixups.  :psyduck: You do it occasionally but you go for high option way too much. 6C when you land during airdash pressure to keep 2A fresh.

Still not using 5B properly in pressure!!! I told you this move was gdlk at FR but you're still doing 2C 5A shit. That stuff is weaaaaaaaaak.

Keep climbin', gotta get to the top

Offline Omicron Austin

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • Downright Fierce
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 04:26:26 PM »
Hey guys, I've got a video of myself playing H-VAkiha that I'd appreciate any critique on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDwOM7Cxfxw&feature=player_embedded

I have a few ideas on what I really do need to improve, but any suggestions on what's most important will be greatly appreciated.  Unfortunately, there's not really much of a scene around Missouri, so my friend and I are just trying to improve off of eachother, and even more unfortunately, he's probably a lot worse than I am, so it's hard to tell when I'm doing something really wrong.  If you've got any tips for his Aoko, that'd be nice too, though I'll be posting this in the Aoko board as well.

Few things I'll point out: I'd use 2BBB less, but I'm trying to make him learn how to counter it.  Also, later in the video I shield a bunch; that's just me fucking up grabbing.  Also, my execution sucks and I screw up a lot of my mixups, though sometimes it ends up confusing him more and working out well.

Thanks!

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 04:31:22 PM »
biggest mistake i saw in the first 30 seconds was not going for a setup after a momiji loop
thundering waterfalls

Offline Omicron Austin

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • Downright Fierce
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 04:47:11 PM »
biggest mistake i saw in the first 30 seconds was not going for a setup after a momiji loop

Yeah...not quite sure what I was thinking there.  He used to be kind of prone to reversaling out of the corner there, so I might have been trying to bait it, but I did it waaaaay too obviously.  Either that, or I was going for a 94A+B IAD, and did 6 instead.  My execution on IAD is pretty bad.

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 05:10:51 PM »
aerial pit setups are generally safe from reversals ie IAD j.22a land

idk about aoko's dp but if she has enough invul to escape the pit and you find it hard to punish due to how far aoko will move after the dp, then i guess some sort of j8 or j7 22b pit setup may be preferable

you can also use a double jump to bait reversals or go for a whiffed j.A/j.C
thundering waterfalls

Offline LordPangTong

• Spellcaster
  • We troll hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 01:22:31 PM »
jump back j.22C is safe from reversals

also, grind out blockstrings and confirms off j.c counter hit. keep with h-vakiha!
<justzar> great anime <3

Offline dakanya

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 01:59:49 PM »
yeah j.22C is valid too if you want to burn the meter/prevent yourself frmo getting in max

also iirc aoko gets up really late (or was it early?) so you should check what the timing would be like in practice mode

i am missing my notes for wakeup times... zzz. some other chars you should know about are like kouma, ries, satsuki...
thundering waterfalls