hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Half Moon Aoko Guide / Ao[broke]o - Strats, Tips, Discussion, Vs Match, News  (Read 6018 times)

Offline AARP|ZTB

• Knight Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 102
  • canes, complaints & caddies
    • View Profile
Im probably editing this as you read it

Normals

Standing

5A [mbac]
Muay Thai-esque shin kick from MBAC form. First attack in "Kakato String". Average for a guard or combo string starter. Absence of her MBAC 6A (overhead punch) in Half Moon allows Aoko to dash in with 5A to start strings without having to commit to Aoko123.

5B [new]
Stepping elbow strike to the midsection. Aoko advances forward slightly when performing this attack. Although the range is about half the distance of her MBAC 5B the forward momentum from the attack allows Aoko to close distance in attack strings when in close. Similar to the old 5B, this attack can be canceled extremely late into special, command or normal moves. Late canceling into normals (eg 2A rebeat) can be effective for tagging poke out attempts and scare the opponent into spending more time defending. At a higher yomi-lvl Aoko can mimic some of the more severe staggers seen from characters like Nanaya (2C), Warc (5B), or Ciel (5A>6A) in which they will let a string fully end and thus gain access to the desired normal again. This leaves way to some very extensive strings assuming you've already tamed your opponent to respect them.

E.g.

2A>2A>5B>5A>6A>continue string
A generic string with no real holes for poking out

2A>2A>5B>delay 5A>6A>continue string
An intentional gap left between 5B and 5A to bait out an attack and punish a poke out attempt.

2A>2A>5B>string ends>2A>2A>5B OR Throw
Once they become obedient enough strings like the above become applicable. The fear of being CH'd will allow you to stop at 5B, let the string end, then gain access to 2A again and resume pressure.

Advancing 5B is definitely an excellent and intimidating addition to her arsenal. Stagger City, here we come.

5C [MBAC]
High kick to the sky. Same as MBAC 5C. Can still be applied in guard strings (2B>2C>5C>Mirror) and is still considered a staple in her BnB.

BE5C / 5[C] [MBAC]
Hick kick to the sky with layzuhz. Still packs a heap of damage when the lasers connect and remains effective for anticipatory "sniping" on opponents that hover at a distance. The close 5[C] will still strike once and vs airborne opponents it will inflict a long air untechable period allowing for insane combo possibilities (esp. considering the new 4[C]). This attack can still be semi-charged ( 5{C} ) and may or may not still be used as an overhead feint **for those that remember 5{C}>2B / 5{C}>6[A] shenanigans. 4[C] will likely replace 6[A] for Half Moon.**

Crouching

2AAAAA [mbac]
Crouching elbow. Still does not hit low. Startup may possibly be the same making it ideal for string starters (at neutral standpoint), pressure and for the bravehearts that think they see a throw coming - poke outs. *MBAC - 2A was 1f faster than 5A*

2B [mbac]
Low poking, extendo-kick (looks like 3S shoto cr. mk). I'm confident enough to say that this is still Aoko's fastest low normal. Same techniques still apply: used in IAD whiff shenanigans / must be shielded crouching (alternate with 5B) / dashing 2B to tag over-aggro or twitchy opponents.

2C [mbac]
Generic karate sweep that advances Aoko forward slightly. General trip move for guaranteed down and is used to launch for aircombo starters (2C [lifts]>5C>3C>etc). Im sure that anyone who follows MB even remotely knows how 2C's work in this game. With H-Aoko's new aircombos, 2C>421 orb ender is becoming more common now setting up various okizeme.

Jumping

JA [mbac]
Quick Jumping Backhand. Apparently everyone received somewhat of a "nerf" on JA's. There seems to be a longer recovery period on JA's making the character unable to to perform any actions on whiff for quite some time. Personally, this greatly effects my play style and hinders my movement a bit.

Aoko must wait far longer now to do attack sequences that were pretty common in MBAC:
IABD JA whiff> empty cancel into J214 or J236A
JA whiff>airdash and followup on air to air CH or continue pressure

More importantly, Aoko (and possibly VAkiha) has lost the ability to JA whiff and airdash back. Aoko must now exhaust a jump (as the rest of the MBAC cast did excluding VAkiha) to imitate this movement. eg JA whiff>DJ 44 or 4A+B. Basically, Aoko isnt as care-free in the air as her previous form was. This is very annoying to deal with (and remember) but after a while you'll get used to being a "commoner".  :(

...Lame

JB ["new"]
Downward angled kick. This is basically a sprite rip of Aoko's Wheelkick (623). The extremely low angle makes it ideal for fuzzy guard strings. It's not angled as low as her MBAC JC but it still gets the job done. JB for an air combo starter can be extremely annoying at times when the launching height isn't judged properly. Because it's not as convenient as her MBAC JB ,which struck above her head, JA may have to replace JB or JC starters for those spur of the moment combo starters that look iffy.

JC [new]
Another....downward angled kick (gj). This seems to be a mirrored version of her JB. I'm not sure as to which of the two jump normals are better overall since THEY LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME but as soon as i figure that out it will be edited in. Fuzzy guard strings seem impossible to achieve w/ this attack. JC is common in her airstrings and ESPECIALLY for ending her aircombos with J214C. Both JB and JC prove to be effective in IAD pressure and fishing for hits when hovering above the opponent. Aoko loses her MBAC J[C] in half moon.

Command Normals

3C [mbac]
Uppercut from mbac. Still air unblockable and the staple launcher for her aircombo as the hit before the first jumping attack. Average in staggers and guardstrings. A staggered 3C>9 and continuing a string is a good habit to develop as it will let you immediately jump cancel on hit or you can quickly resume a string if guarded. E.g. 2A>delay 3C>9>2C>5A etc. Should the opponent move/poke/jump the 3C>9>2C will result in a jump cancel that overrides the 2C. Dash 3C is still lovely for tagging opponents in jump start up at close quarters.

4C
Much faster startup but is no longer an overhead hit. Cannot be jump canceled. Can be canceled into special only on hit/guard. Produces instant and non ground passable down vs airborne opponents. Possibly viable for a quick down into a 421 orb setup in situations where 4[C] may take to long to execute (e.g. AA CH orb at about half scrn>dash>2C>4C (downs)>421A

BE4C / 4[C] [new]
A chargeable version of 4C that becomes overhead once the glimmer effect appears (must be guarded high). Special cancel on hit/guard. Cannot jump cancel on hit. Produces an NON AIR RECOVERABLE, NON GROUND PASSABLE FLOOR BOUNCE vs an airborne opponent. Yes, there is absolutely no recovering point when getting hit airborne by this attack (initial floor hit = X , when bound into air = X , when landing from bounce = X). This (absurd) attribute gives way to a series of high damage combos & loops, 421 setups and even unblockable setups (236[/B]). Also On airborne hit , 4[C] will send the opponent flying about half screen after the floor bounce has occurred. As a standalone overhead 4[C] can still be dangerous if the player is willing to part with a bit of magic circuit for their efforts (4[C]>214B>ex cancel 214C>3C>aerial) and will also serve as a fine overhead round finisher.

Kakato Sequence [new]
  • 5A>6A
Aoko performs 5A then a side kick (F-Aoko's 5B). Can chain into specials on hit/guard and can also be chained from. Chain into 2A (5A>6A>2A) will ensue a reverse beat penalty but you regain access to 5A allowing a chain back into 6A (5A>6A>2A>5A>6A etc.).

5A>6A moves Aoko slightly forward and when combined with 5B one can close in from push back and continue pressure. 5A>6A can also be canceled extremely late in the attack animation making it effective for some serious staggering strings and hig/low fake-outs such as: 5A>6A>4[C] OR 5A>6A>delay 2B>2C. This is somewhat reminiscent of Aokos 5B>4C / 5B>delay 2B string from MBAC; when coupled with a held orb it made way for some interesting psyche-outs.

• 5A>6A>6A
Shin kick, side kick, crazy Hwoarang-side-split-kick. This is the last part of the Kakoto kick sequence and the begging of a series of painful loops. Special cancelable on hit/guard. Normals can be chained after on hit only. The 3rd kick launches on hit and produces a fair amount of untechable time - enough time to slip in her high damage BE normals allowing for extended loops that will usually end with 421 okizeme (High damage output PLUS retarded oki). Has the ability to chain EXTREMELY late from 5A>6A. Staggering into the last kick from time to time may discourage poke-out/jump-out attempts and even an option select is applicable to ensure the optimal punishment:

5A>6A>delay 6A~4[C]>214B

Because The 3rd kick can only be canceled into normals on hit what happens here is that when the last 6A is staggered and guarded the 4[C] will never occur resulting in 5A>6A>6A>214B. The guarded 214B will allow you to keep advantage and attempt for more pressure due to the obvious +f yielded.

Should the 3rd kick connect instead, 4[C] this time will execute. Even if you were to input 214B when the 3rd kick hit, this command will never happen due to the immediate cancel into 4[C] and its immense startup as well as no commands being able to go through during the charge period. By the time [...6A>4[C]] lands you should be able to determine what follow up to go for i.e. Kakato Loop.

Special Techniques

Wind - 236A or b or C

Manual Starmine - 421A or B or C

Manual Starmine (Shifting) - 421A or B or C then 8

Wheelkick - 623A or B or C

Powerwave - 214A or B or C

Mirror - 63214A or B or C

Fire - 22A or B or C

Floating Starmine - J214A or B or C

Blowback Edge Starmine - J214[A] or [-B]

Rain - J236A or B or C

Air Wheelkick - J623A or B or C
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 12:52:42 PM by ZARtacus! »
zar are you even aware that your attitude is what drove people off in the first place. i think zar's attitude is worse than all of that. cause neither of you guys mean anything. but zar can poison shit around him. zar's the one that gets personal online and does realtalk that's out of line.

Offline NomadSoul

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
I think it's either armour or another bug.

HM Aoko looks fun to play but is definitely broken (Even more so if jB has armour). I will be surprised if she isn't nerfed somewhere along the line.
Bad Aoko player is bad ._.

Offline Lolly

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
  • hurp
    • View Profile
all b-c attacks (maybe some specials too, seen it happen with a few dps) from what i can see gain an 'auto armour' against A attacks on trade. Anytime a j.a/5a/2a would trade with b or c level moves, the a move will get punched through. This really hurts chars that can 5a spam trying to force a trade couner hit. The days of Nanaya/Sachin 5a Anti-air are over.  :toot:

vet also seems to think some old moves  clash frames could've been replaced with armour frames instead. (Think I saw this on nero 2b)

Offline AARP|ZTB

• Knight Magus
    • View Profile
yeah, I took notice to this yesterday actually - when EVERYTHING seemed to have armor properties lol. One the way back home though Rithli and I reflected on something he picked up from a jp bbs a few wks ago that mentioned "hierarchy". He couldnt understand the details fully (dat mooonspeak) but it was something along the lines of C > B > A > C. Where C attacks have priority over B attacks, B attacks have priority over A attacks and A attacks come back around and win over C attacks.

One other thing I also noticed recently was that clashing nonsense occurred a lot less frequently...I mean A LOT LESS (maybe 1 every 20 matches? - Keep in mind that we play 3/5 rds). This is probably as vet is speculating - where clash frames have been replaced by this new armor/priority system. Clashing probably occurs now when the same lvl attack meets w/ one another.

Either way, this is HOT SHIT and Im loving it so far cus now wakeup 2A and as you said AA 5A bullshit can kiss my ass. Better start going random w/ 5C AAs lolololol.

Movement in this game though still weirds me out. I'll update tonight. Thanks for posts Nomad and Lolly
zar are you even aware that your attitude is what drove people off in the first place. i think zar's attitude is worse than all of that. cause neither of you guys mean anything. but zar can poison shit around him. zar's the one that gets personal online and does realtalk that's out of line.

Offline NomadSoul

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Thanks for sharing all the info :toot:

A bit of a shame 4c isn't an overhead any more, but its pluses completely out weigh the minuses so I can't really complain can I? >.>

Offline AkiraTheMastodon

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 19
  • 暁を映して。
    • View Profile
    • My u2b.
bad news for sensei
looks like Half no longer has triple jump...
Hwoarang Aoko now has two jumps only ):
looks like Crescent is the only one with three now...
I didn't get a good chance to test out 214 that much but...from what it looks like it had more recover added to it
Name courtesy of LoliSauce.
俺のパーフェクトさんすう教室。
答えは答えはゼロ人ゼロ人
なぜならなぜならそれは。。。 幻想郷にバス無い!

Offline AARP|ZTB

• Knight Magus
    • View Profile
bad news for sensei
looks like Half no longer has triple jump...
Hwoarang Aoko now has two jumps only ):
.........WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?                                                                 :psyduck:

Offline AkiraTheMastodon

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 19
  • 暁を映して。
    • View Profile
    • My u2b.
BE4C no longer bounces them...
bye bye kakato  :emo:
bouncy fun BE4C combos were awesome...
R.I.P.
Name courtesy of LoliSauce.
俺のパーフェクトさんすう教室。
答えは答えはゼロ人ゼロ人
なぜならなぜならそれは。。。 幻想郷にバス無い!

Offline NomadSoul

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu ;_;

From what you have played of AA Aoko, do you think there will be any other possible adjustments to her in the future?