When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: [WIP] Streaming off consoles help/how to optimize  (Read 1850 times)

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 125
  • nasty
    • View Profile
[WIP] Streaming off consoles help/how to optimize
« on: May 16, 2011, 03:43:06 PM »
On going work, Zar suckered me into writing this.

Anyways, here are some musts for having a smooth stable stream from a console assuming you have everything already hooked up and set up (this includes your streaming program!!!! I do recommend Xsplit though!) For pc streaming, read my guide here: http://forums.chs5.net/topic/8802-using-xsplit-to-stream-on-justintv/

AT LEAST
a processor with a strong P4 (with proper cooling, don't want it blowing up) or a decent Dual Core processor
More than 2 gigs of ram
Video card that isn't an intel GMA shit or whatever they're called. (better if not integrated)
a capture device (if you're new get a easycap, don't shell out money to get a Blackmagic to find out you can't even stream in SD quality)
a Justin.tv account (don't use ustream, trust me)

Streaming is very sensitive. You need to adjust settings depending on specs on your pc, quality of your net, wired of wireless internet, etc. Obviously I can't get to anything in one post, so please feel free to ask questions. DON'T pm me questions with help, I will probably not read it. Your best bet is to post in the thread so someone can catch my attention to when it comes up. (you can however email me questions at mizuki AT teamspooky DOT com)

Anyways most of you will be streaming off an easy cap, and streaming Melty Blood. Cool, hope you have everything set up, but you just don't quite know how to set your settings... In all streaming programs (Flash Media Live Encoder/Xsplit/Wirecast) you have the ability to change resolution and bitrate, THESE ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTORS EVER IN STREAMING.

Playstation 2's can only run up to like 640x480 resolution (or mb does, I think?) so making your resolution bigger than that size is not necesary (but you can if you have a godlike computer I suppose) On lower end pcs, something such as 320x240 is pretty much the only thing you'll be able to do, but fear not, if you have a decent net connection, it won't look like total crap. I personally stream at 1000kbps when I stream off SD consoles, that's about 1mb. That might be too much for some people, you'll have to mess around with those settings (most programs these days auto-correct upload rate and smooth it out so it doesn't look like shit) With this in mind, experiment, have a friend watch your stream and see if it works out for them. The better the processor is, the more you can up that resolution. In short we learned that

Better the processor: Bigger the resolutionp
Better the internet: More upstream

There is other stuff, but uh I'm tired and wanted to get this outta the way, so people can ask up questions and I'll answer, maybe it'll remind me to make more details in the post.
what the fuck is this game

Offline Exciel

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 38
  • 工エエェェ(´д`)ェェエエ工工
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Streaming off consoles help/how to optimize
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 07:11:59 PM »
Thanks for the write up, I never really thought of streaming myself since my weak DSL internet is crap but I realize I can probably just have the stream going off my neighbor's much better wireless internet that I steal. :laffo: Before I have to resort to that though and although I feel I already know the answer, would streaming via DSL be plausible or should I just not even try?