When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Act Cadenza always crashing before it starts.  (Read 5352 times)

Offline HolyDiver

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
Act Cadenza always crashing before it starts.
« on: June 18, 2008, 08:38:53 PM »
My laptop's stats on the startup prompt for Act Cadenza:

"DirectXVersion :  DirectX 10

CPU :  Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T8300  @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
MainMemory :  2038MB RAM

VGA :  Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
VRAM :  448 MB
DisplayDriver :  igdumd32.dll
DriverVersion :  7.14.0010.1295
Display Mode :  1280 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

VertexShaderVersion : 0.0
PixelShaderVersion : 3.0
¡ ‚R‚Qbit ColorƒeƒNƒXƒ`ƒƒ‚ªŽg—p‚Å‚«‚Ü‚·"

This is Ver.103A. Anyway, whenever I try to start the game, it boots for a bit before Vista (yes I'm using Vista) tells me that "MBACPC.exe has stopped working". These are the problem details it gives me.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   mbacPC.exe
  Application Version:   0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:   46e4f558
  Fault Module Name:   mbacPC.exe
  Fault Module Version:   0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:   46e4f558
  Exception Code:   c0000005
  Exception Offset:   000320ab
  OS Version:   6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
  Locale ID:   1033
  Additional Information 1:   f5b1
  Additional Information 2:   db2839d0e55fb8fe108881f10ff2d463
  Additional Information 3:   87cb
  Additional Information 4:   e8890ba9877429fce1373f7f7f686b43

Yeah, so what's up exactly? Is it Vista? I doubt it because I also run Big Bang Beat and Akatsuki Blitzkampf just fine on this laptop. And I'm completely sure my comp isn't crappy...

Offline Draku

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 8
  • sakura is a good girl
    • View Profile
Re: Act Cadenza always crashing before it starts.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 10:41:50 PM »
I'm not entirely sure, but I can safely say that it probably isn't Vista. Maybe its DX10?

Offline Sh1k1

• Vigilant Blue
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 43
  • 「これが… モノを殺すと言うことだ…!」
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 12:00:27 AM »
I think it has to do with the fact that your machine has an integrated video card. As far as I know, Melty requires a dedicated 64MB card to run properly, and integrated VRAM, no matter how many megas you allocate to it, isn't the same as dedicated VRAM.
FGO Friend Code: 221252074

Offline Rayza

• MD/VA Barbarian Horde
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 85
  • Lexus LFA
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter account
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 06:36:41 AM »
965 should run Melty fine (friend with worse Intel integrated ran the shit just toasty). I honestly don't know what's causing the error though, but I doubt it's the graphics chipset.
Follow me @MisterRayza for updates on my streams.

Offline Legendary Blue Shirt

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 170
  • Meanie
    • View Profile
    • Logical Bends
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 07:25:05 AM »
Damn Vista and its vague error reporting!
Was there a "view details" button?

Offline noradseven

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 10
  • quick doctor what is the patients status?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 05:37:16 PM »
just a question don't you need applocal or Japanese downloaded to run this game, unlike blitzkamp or big bang beat, Im not sure cause my compy is always in jap mode.

I think it has to do with the fact that your machine has an integrated video card. As far as I know, Melty requires a dedicated 64MB card to run properly, and integrated VRAM, no matter how many megas you allocate to it, isn't the same as dedicated VRAM.

Im running the 950(M) chipset which is even worse and I run the game fine the chipset is not the problem.

Plus you can always use programs to tell the computer that you have a nvidea 8600GT when you don't to allow it to run things, very slowly cause you needed to have that graphics card for a reason.

Damn Vista and its vague error reporting!
Was there a "view details" button?

view details is worthless on a windows you just get a bunch of Hex code normally.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 05:43:46 PM by noradseven »

Offline Screwtape

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 06:12:04 PM »
I looked on the web and it seems the exception code signifies some sort of access violation, i.e., the program is pointing to something that doesn't exist (sound?). Have you tried updating your drivers yet?

Offline noradseven

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 06:14:59 PM »
I looked on the web and it seems the exception code signifies some sort of access violation, i.e., the program is pointing to something that doesn't exist (sound?). Have you tried updating your drivers yet?

I checked that his drivers are up to date, and plus this game is like years old so you shouldn't need the latest driver.

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 08:34:10 AM »

I checked that his drivers are up to date, and plus this game is like years old so you shouldn't need the latest driver.

Wow, your ignorance knows no bounds. MBAC version B was barely a year old, it was released in July the 27th last year!

Anyway, updating to the latest driver is always a good choice, since it not only helps you to run this game if it screws up, it also helps to improve stability with other games.

Seriously, if you don't know your stuff, don't talk shit. No one will nuke you for not posting help.
Keyboard crusher who couldn't pull off a proper BNB.

Offline Draku

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 8
  • sakura is a good girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 08:59:17 AM »
Wow, your ignorance knows no bounds. MBAC version B was barely a year old, it was released in July the 27th last year!
The original AC was released at arcades in 2005, though. Ver. B/B2 hasn't done much to graphics.

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 10:22:21 AM »
The original AC was released at arcades in 2005, though. Ver. B/B2 hasn't done much to graphics.

Unless you run the arcade version on your PC, I'm afraid it's irrelevant.

Offline scottind

• Melty Waffle
  • Magic Circuits: 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 10:40:18 AM »
nice burn alfonse ^_^

and regarding the video requirements

i've run MBAC on a vista, radeon 3850 (DX10); no problems

and i've run it an Asus eeePC (Intel chipset 915), and a Inspiron 700m (Intel chipset 865) both with shared vram, with no problems.

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 10:56:34 AM »
Is there any technical explanation on why Vista is extremely anal in terms of running Act Cadenza?

Offline noradseven

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 11:56:39 AM »

Anyway, updating to the latest driver is always a good choice, since it not only helps you to run this game if it screws up, it also helps to improve stability with other games.

Seriously, if you don't know your stuff, don't talk shit. No one will nuke you for not posting help.

Jeez don't flame me about updating drivers.  It is good but its normally not critical to have the latest driver and that wouldn't explain the problem he is having, and MBAC hardly takes advantage of the latest features in graphical drivers. 

Sorry about exaggerating the release date though if your going to get all crazy about it, but the point was that the game was designed years ago I doubt the developers went back into the code to add the latest features of a graphics card on a 2D fighting game, thats RAM intensive not graphically intensive.

Im going to see if I can replicate the error cause Im bored right now.

edit: my windows side blew up after auto update, its mostly fixed but still missing a few drivers
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 07:56:51 PM by noradseven »

Offline mauve

• Soul Hacker
  • Magic Circuits: 144
  • 5̠̙ͩ͑̂ͭͧ̀͊̍2̵̠̟ͥ̀1̂̑̒ͥͯ̋ͫ̐ͣ҉̶̜̮̀4̩̳̬̠̯̲̠̲̼͑̊̌̃̀̚9ͮ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 12:00:54 PM »
I don't think it's strictly Vista-related, but there are definitely some issues with system libraries(audio/video drivers?) and MBAC.

If it's in any way related to my MBCaster issues, particularly the one where it bombs for some people and can't get it to work at all... Basically there's some memory corruption going on in the DLLs that sometimes isn't caught. MBCaster runs it in debug mode which rearranges memory somewhat and, consequently, brings those bugs to bear.(MBCaster itself isn't causing the problems, I can remove everything that MBCaster does except launch the app in debug mode, and it still blows up) Some people might have systems where it happens outside of that anyway. It's yet another Windows compatibility issue. I'm not sure what the workaround is as I have no idea what in particular is causing it to die at this time.

Unfortunately you'll need a more in-depth scan with a debugger, for the stack information, if you want to know what's causing this.

Edit: I should note that SWR has similar problems, but IaMP does not, so it's almost certainly driver or memory related.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 12:16:20 PM by mauve »

Offline scottind

• Melty Waffle
  • Magic Circuits: 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 12:11:55 PM »
to the OP- go download the MBAC B2 demo on the official website, and see if that works.

Offline Legendary Blue Shirt

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 170
  • Meanie
    • View Profile
    • Logical Bends
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 11:31:42 AM »
Do you have Vista 64-bit or 32-bit...