When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Connecting to Mizuumi (SSL Port Inquiry)  (Read 5329 times)

Offline Komidol

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 57
  • わが名は征服王コミドール!、この大会のたびにおいては、フル琥珀のクラスを得てげんかいした!
    • View Profile
    • The Kingdom of Biscotti
Connecting to Mizuumi (SSL Port Inquiry)
« on: January 20, 2010, 08:36:23 AM »
Alright, so, new college has an insane firewall on their internet connection and I'm having IRC connection issues.  I need to know Mizuumi's SSL port so I can bypass the connection.  Can anyone help me out?
GenericSuperHero: komidol's not a nerd, he's a visionary
AnFox: H-mech IS a character.
Exciel: It's 2011, use whoever the hell you want already. Fuck haters and relish the salty tears that drip from their skulls as you stand victorious.

Offline LordPangTong

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 54
  • We troll hard
    • View Profile
Re: Connecting to Mizuumi (SSL Port Inquiry)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 10:05:09 AM »
I dunno anything about SSL ports, but my school also has a big firewall, so I just go to www.mibbit.com. It'll let you connect through your internet browser.  :toot:
<justzar> great anime <3

Offline Komidol

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 10:44:02 AM »
Oh you.

Mibbit is being sued for recording everything that you say, basically.  They're not safe at all.  If you wanted a java client, use some other one (only one I know is Animebloggers)

Anyway, I'm saying it specifically because there is a way around school network firewalls using the SSL port.  I've connected to Rizon, IRCHighway, Delta Anime and the likes, even Efnet for #mbac.  But, I just need to know mizuumi's SSL port to get on there.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 10:32:59 PM by Komidol »
Exciel: It's 2011, use whoever the hell you want already. Fuck haters and relish the salty tears that drip from their skulls as you stand victorious.

Offline Tempered

• America is free to Satsuki
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • fullscreen j.[c] mixup
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 04:04:36 PM »
Oh you.

Mibbit is being sued for recording everything that you say, basically.  They're not save at all.  If you wanted a java client, use some other one (only one I know is Animebloggers)

Anyway, I'm saying it specifically because there is a way around school network firewalls using the SSL port.  I've connected to Rizon, IRCHighway, Delta Anime and the likes, even Efnet for #mbac.  But, I just need to know mizuumi's SSL port to get on there.

oh man better not release your personal information on irc. Who cares if they record everything you say. SO DO WE. IRC logs, you heard of them?
During Loser's Finals at NECX:

<Crowd at Jiyuna about to Lose> Na na na naaaa, na na na naaaa, hey hey hey, Goodbyeeee~

Offline KaPH33n

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 07:05:08 PM »
It's not that SSL is allowing you to bypass your firewall it's that the administrator hasn't locked down those ports specifically.  SSL just changes whether or not the packets are encrypted or plain text.  Most (smart) admins will lock down 6667 to prevent noobs from ircing.  Do you know if 22 is open?  If so I suggest setting up another machine to bounce anything you need to your local machine over port 22 and an SSH tunnel.

Not all ircds have SSL ability, not sure if mizuumi does or not (doesn't mention it in motd so i assume it doesn't).  The standard irc ports are 6667-6670 and 7000.  7000 is the standard port for SSL connection.  One thing I did see in the motd is this line:

- If you're having problems connecting to Mizuumi, try using port 3000 instead.

So if your network admin hasn't locked down 3000 try that too.
(^_^)

Offline KaPH33n

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 07:05:44 PM »
also, yes STOP USING MIBBIT!!!  to anyone who is currently using them...
(^_^)

Offline Komidol

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 08:32:10 PM »
It's not that SSL is allowing you to bypass your firewall it's that the administrator hasn't locked down those ports specifically.  SSL just changes whether or not the packets are encrypted or plain text.  Most (smart) admins will lock down 6667 to prevent noobs from ircing.  Do you know if 22 is open?  If so I suggest setting up another machine to bounce anything you need to your local machine over port 22 and an SSH tunnel.

Not all ircds have SSL ability, not sure if mizuumi does or not (doesn't mention it in motd so i assume it doesn't).  The standard irc ports are 6667-6670 and 7000.  7000 is the standard port for SSL connection.  One thing I did see in the motd is this line:

- If you're having problems connecting to Mizuumi, try using port 3000 instead.

So if your network admin hasn't locked down 3000 try that too.

I know this is going to sound weird, but I can absolutely guarantee you that all the ports are locked.  The thing is, SSL is used in a lot of HTTP protocol's, so the SSL protocol itself bypasses any firewall.  For example, port 80 is locked on the network, but I can still view this website because the HTTP protocol is allowed to bypass the firewall.  Same with SSL.  Except only one port enables SSL.  

School is pretty nazi about it, every port is absolutely locked.  So I need the Mizuumi SSL port.  Who's the administrator, anyone know(It's bell, isn't it?)?  I only ask here because too my knowledge Mizuumi doesn't have a site or anything.  Anyway, if they don't have one it shouldn't be so hard to setup.  It's rather useful and couldn't be too hard, since I had a friend set one up on his personal IRC server quite easily (though he was experienced).  

Anyway Tempered, by "log everything", I would mean that mibbit logs even what you send to the server.  So identifying with the name "Tempered", on other IRC servers would require an identification password or it resets your name.  So when you identify by sending your password, Mibbit would log that.  YOU don't log my information sent to the server, just the chat conversations.  The problem was they were using the information to profile/impersonate people (such as to use it against those who might use the same name/pass for everything).  In general it's a bad thing.  

It's pretty universally understood the internet is basically the public, and what you say, despite being in your little room, is going out to other people, but that doesn't mean I want others knowing things like login information and all that trusty info shared with IRC on logon.  
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 08:45:15 PM by Komidol »

Offline Komidol

• Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 08:34:40 PM »
Error log, if anyone is interested:

Code: [Select]
* Looking up irc.mizuumi.net
* Connecting to irc.mizuumi.net (208.83.220.135) port 7000...
* Connection failed. Error: Connection refused
* Disconnected ().
* Connecting to irc.mizuumi.net (208.83.220.135) port 3000...
SSL Sending 78 bytes of handshake data
SSL State is I_CONTINUE_NEEDED (size=0, extra=0)
SSL Received 113 bytes
SSL State is E_INVALID_TOKEN (size=113, extra=0)
SSL Are you sure this is a SSL capable server and port?
* Connection failed. Error: SSL failure
* Connecting to irc.mizuumi.net (208.83.220.135) port 3000...
SSL Received 113 bytes
SSL State is E_INVALID_TOKEN (size=113, extra=0)
SSL Are you sure this is a SSL capable server and port?
* Connection failed. Error: SSL failure

Here's an example of a working one, from Irchighway:

Code: [Select]
* Looking up irc.irchighway.net
* Connecting to irc.irchighway.net (174.139.16.132) port 9999...
 Microsoft Unified Security Protocol Provider
 No channel joined. Try /join #<channel>
 No channel joined. Try /join #<channel>
SSL Received 876 bytes
SSL Sending 182 bytes of handshake data
SSL State is I_CONTINUE_NEEDED (size=876, extra=0)
SSL Received 43 bytes
SSL State is E_OK (size=43, extra=0)
SSL ««« SUCCESS »»»
SSL   Issuer: C=CA, S=Los Angeles, L=Los Angeles, O=irchighway, OU=irchighway server, CN=hammer.ca.us.irchighway.net, CN=hammer.ca.us.irchighway.net
SSL  Subject: C=CA, S=Los Angeles, L=Los Angeles, O=irchighway, OU=irchighway server, CN=hammer.ca.us.irchighway.net, CN=hammer.ca.us.irchighway.net
SSL Protocol: TLS1 Cipher: RC4 Hash: MD5 KeyExchange: RSA Bits: 128/128/1024
SSL VERIFY FAILED: Untrusted root -- ignored.
* Connected. Now logging in...
* Welcome to the IRCHighWay network.........

Offline f-wlen ice loop

• the troll that slays gods
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 91
  • i did it
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 08:56:31 PM »
Mizuumi does not support SSL and I'm not going to do a bunch of compiling so one person can connect. Alternatives have already been mentioned in the thread.
<fubarduck> hey bell good shit beating kusoru in melty
<fubarduck> he was like "i lost to a long haired asian"
<fubarduck> aaaaaaaaa

Offline KaPH33n

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 01:41:45 PM »
Do you have access to a server pc somewhere?  preferably *nix?  If so just set up a bnc and connect to the bnc using ssl.  then connect to irc from the bnc server.

a harder alternative could be to set up a bot network to mirror the channels you want to another network and then connect to that network through ssl.  this seems like overkill though.

or... you could just use another web client that's not mibbit.  i'm sure there's something usable out there.
(^_^)

Offline CPhame

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
  • 二次元の世界へ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 02:03:30 PM »
I've had problems connecting to it too.  Still don't understand the reason why.
digitalpugilist.com