When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: D-pad & joystick  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Skiegh

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
D-pad & joystick
« on: June 20, 2009, 02:09:56 PM »
I recently bought an adapter to allow me to use my PS2 controller but (I think actual PS2 controllers are designed this way) I can't have both the joystick and the D-pad active at the same time. My previous controllers were PS2 controllers built for the PC (By some company I'll never know) but even with the analog button off, the joysticks still functioned. I was wondering if there is any way for an actual PS2 controller to mimic that action.

Unlike most I would imagine, I use both the D-pad and the joystick on PS2 controllers. D-pad for movement, joystick for motions. I really can't function in any fighter without both working at all times and uhh.. flipping analog on and off mid-combo is somewhat difficult.

Offline zeech

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
    • View Profile
Re: D-pad & joystick
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 09:30:42 PM »
It depends entirely on the adaptor.

Some adaptors map both the dpad and the analogue to the PC joystick, whilst other adaptors map the dpad to buttons or the hatswitch.

You want the latter type of adaptor to use both dpad & analogue at the same time.

Unfortunately there's no way to tell how a particular brand of adaptor works without trying it.  Perhaps your best bet is to find a brand and then ask a site like SRK if anyone else has used it before.

Offline Skiegh

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
Re: D-pad & joystick
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 08:03:27 PM »
Fixed, U.N. Squadron somehow cured my controller. As if I didn't love the game enough, it also has the ability to be the only game to detect my joystick and D-pad at the same time. After playing it, all games did-- how bizarre.