hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Recording replays?  (Read 4344 times)

Offline Sh1k1

• Vigilant Blue
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 43
  • 「これが… モノを殺すと言うことだ…!」
    • View Profile
Recording replays?
« on: May 24, 2008, 06:06:16 PM »
Hey there. I'm no stranger to recording replays from the game to upload to YouTube, but for some reason, ever since several months back I haven't been able to record properly, since the game lags HORRIBLY when Fraps starts to RECORD (not while merely running). This is my current Fraps configuration:

The game is installed in the D partition, so I thought it'd be better if I set Fraps to save the recordings in the C partition.

I honestly can't understand what's making the game lag so much, considering I HAVE encoded before videos (in this very same laptop) and have uploaded at least two to YouTube with very good results. Help plz?
FGO Friend Code: 221252074

Offline Draku

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 8
  • sakura is a good girl
    • View Profile
Re: Recording replays?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 07:46:32 PM »
Use Snagit instead.

Offline Sh1k1

• Vigilant Blue
  • Magus Candidate
  • 「これが… モノを殺すと言うことだ…!」
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 09:57:33 PM »
Snagit is for screenshots. I very specifically said (and demonstrated in my Fraps screenshot) that I'm talking about recording videos.

Offline Animeruko

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 7
  • Because its MOE~ MOE~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 11:00:44 PM »
Are you sure that no settings on youre laptops display dirver have been made?  Also HD fragmentation can also cause problems along with hwomuch space is being used and left on your disks.  From personal experience fraps performance can change randomly for no reason ive had sevral cases where it would run fine on my computer and then a few days later it would lagg horribly(no explanation as to why nto even formatting helped on those PC's), definately check your Hardrievs fragmentation and defrag it if possible it would also help if you could give fraps its own dedicated partition to record to because it will never get fragmented and technicly should not slow down recording.

You might want to try setting it to  half size and also maybe changing MB to display in 16 bit color, these changes should increase performance aswell and while the videos would only be 320x240 they will take up quite a bit less space on disk.

you mentioned drives D and C .. being on a laptp theres a very good chance its just one HD thats partitioned, and i honestly cant say that i know if that would increase the performance of fraps since its just one drive but i could assume it would slow it down possibly depends on the fragmentation of both partitions i think but maybe not .. i usualy just run fraps on my C drive because its my fastest HD and it performs bette rthan having fraps record to one of my other drives.

OH check the programs you have runing in the background, they could cause unwanted lag while recording with fraps. and fraps also has issues with pagefile usage in windows ... ive had situatons where it lagged after recording sevral matches because its pagefile usage became pretty high.

Offline Sh1k1

• Vigilant Blue
  • Magus Candidate
  • 「これが… モノを殺すと言うことだ…!」
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 06:09:45 PM »
I think I discovered the problem: When I first installed and ran Fraps, it assigned its affinity to only one of the cores of my Centrino Duo. I tried assigning its affinity to both cores, and I just finished recording a video perfectly, and am currently encoding it to upload it to YouTube. :D

Thanks for the suggestions, nonetheless. :)

Offline Animeruko

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 7
  • Because its MOE~ MOE~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 05:37:23 AM »
wow, i never would have thought that using a single core would cause that to happen O_O.

anyways glad to see you got it fixed.

Offline Legendary Blue Shirt

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 170
  • Meanie
    • View Profile
    • Logical Bends
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 01:48:54 PM »
Snagit is for screenshots. I very specifically said (and demonstrated in my Fraps screenshot) that I'm talking about recording videos.
For the record, snagit CAN record videos.

Offline Sh1k1

• Vigilant Blue
  • Magus Candidate
  • 「これが… モノを殺すと言うことだ…!」
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 08:05:57 PM »
For the record, snagit CAN record videos.
My bad then, the product description for Snagit says it's used for screenshots.

wow, i never would have thought that using a single core would cause that to happen O_O.

anyways glad to see you got it fixed.
Me neither, trust me. At least I know what to recommend to other people when they have the same problem next time. :P

Offline Sh1k1

• Vigilant Blue
  • Magus Candidate
  • 「これが… モノを殺すと言うことだ…!」
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 09:49:09 PM »
...And once again, I find myself troubled by the same issue. Apparently, the thing about having Fraps assigned to a single core had little (if anything) to do with the lag during video capture -- what was making me lag was the fact (as I stupidly discovered TODAY -- jeez, I'm a freaking techie, I'm supposed to KNOW this BY INSTINCT!!) that I was recording on the same drive where the game, the OS and everything else was running from. -_-

Solution: I connected my external HDD and set Fraps to record on it instead of the laptop HDD. Instant remedy. Just in case any of you guys have the same problem in the future. >_>

Offline lavenderkitty

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 05:11:19 PM »
...And once again, I find myself troubled by the same issue. Apparently, the thing about having Fraps assigned to a single core had little (if anything) to do with the lag during video capture -- what was making me lag was the fact (as I stupidly discovered TODAY -- jeez, I'm a freaking techie, I'm supposed to KNOW this BY INSTINCT!!) that I was recording on the same drive where the game, the OS and everything else was running from. -_-

Solution: I connected my external HDD and set Fraps to record on it instead of the laptop HDD. Instant remedy. Just in case any of you guys have the same problem in the future. >_>

I just tried recording to another hard drive and all my fraps lag problems disappeared! Holy crap I never knew that! Now I can record things without worrying about lag. Thank you!