When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Sega Ringwide board issues: MBAACC  (Read 5609 times)

Offline Id_asz

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 9
  • DP > Whatever you're doing
    • View Profile
Sega Ringwide board issues: MBAACC
« on: April 09, 2011, 11:32:24 AM »
The arcade I work at just got Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code, but we're having problems with the Sega Ringwide board (It's our first time dealing with this hardware).

Specifically, it won't turn on. The Sega Ringwide board requires a DC In for its power and comes with a regulator that you're supposed to integrate it with. We connect the regulator to the board, and plug the regulator in, but the Ringwide board is not powering on.

Now, I'm not as technical as my boss, so excuse me if I make some mistakes in how this works, but I think there could be two different issues that are affecting it.

The board is supposed to receive 12V, but it might only be getting 5V. The board could support 5V through the cables that were provided, but this could be an issue, idk. The DC In connector has 6 pins, 3 of each type needed. The redundancy could be to cover all bases, one being 12V in, another being 5V in, another being something else. The manual that came with the game isn't very helpful about this.

There could be a problem with the regulator. It is plugging directly into an outlet (so it's receiving AC), but the regulator outputs DC to the board. The regulator could be at fault here. Either it is broken, or is having trouble doing its job, or there's something we're not doing right (that's probably right in front of our faces and obvious).

I know that almost none of you have dealt with the Ringwide board, but if any of you have any clue as to what can fix this problem it would be very appreciated. I play Melty Blood myself and am incredibly anxious to get this game up and running. It's like being shown your Christmas present on Christmas Eve, but you're not allowed to play with it until after New Year's  :emo:
Family Fun Arcade
10363 Balboa Blvd.
Granada Hills, CA USA;
(818) 360-0419 BB:Carl; MB:Ciel; AH:Akane; GG:Baiken

Offline Curbeh

• MD/VA Barbarian Horde
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 259
  • Irresistible
    • View Profile
Re: Sega Ringwide board issues: MBAACC
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 04:07:50 PM »
I remembr someone having a similar problem and needing a special adaptor/cord... not sure about the specifics though
They can't get enough of me

Offline Kattosasuponpon

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 05:06:15 PM »
North America and Japan use the same plugs and 120V outlets IIRC.  I don't see why he would need an adapter.

Offline Id_asz

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 05:21:16 PM »
I remembr someone having a similar problem and needing a special adaptor/cord... not sure about the specifics though

Since it's designed to be inserted into an arcade cabinet, it comes with a cord that utilizes that cabinet's power supply. However, it requires a certain Sega style cabinet (Net City, Limbergh, etc.), which we don't have. We modified our own cable so that we can just plug it directly into an outlet instead of through the cabinet. Theoretically it shouldn't be a problem, there's two pins on the regulator that are the same as what you would use in a wall socket. I really don't think that part is the problem. I do notice a ticking from the regulator when I plug it in to an outlet, however, Idk if that means it's working, or if it's not working.

The only difference between Japanese outlets and American outlets is the frequency (I believe), and since this isn't a power supply, just a regulator, the frequency isn't an issue (I think).

We're still lost. We're trying to contact some more people who might know what we need to do. I can't wait for some SoCal Current Code action!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 05:43:29 PM by Id_asz »
Family Fun Arcade
10363 Balboa Blvd.
Granada Hills, CA USA;

Offline Rei

• America's Worst Ryougi
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 309
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 11:26:33 AM »
If you can get in contact with fubarduck, ask him. He had problems with the board at first, but got a cable and fixed it.
<@sibladeko> lack of close buttons is poverty
<@sibladeko> means the police can't use secret elevator codes to save us
<Darcius> poor people not worth savin
<@SilentShinobi> the double down is the black man's lethal kryptonite

Offline Id_asz

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 09:18:21 AM »
If you can get in contact with fubarduck, ask him. He had problems with the board at first, but got a cable and fixed it.

I've been trying to get in contact with him since we got the board on Thursday  :psyduck:

I've PM'd here on MeltyBread (which he doesn't really go on), I've tried PMing him on Dustloop, but he can't receive messages, and idk his screenname on SRK, it's not "fubarduck". I've talked to Arlieth, and he can't get in contact with him, and we've talked to the original purchaser of this board who bought it from fubarduck, and he can't get in contact with him.

We've tried other resources, talking to the owner of China Town Fair, who knows a lot about this stuff, but he didn't know. We've talked to the owner of GameDoc who's very knowledgeable about stuff like this, but he didn't know since it's a new board.

The only thing we've figured out, is that the ticking noise coming from the regulator is it turning on over and over again. The problem seems to be at the regulator, but we don't know how to fix it.  :mystery:

Until we can contact fubarduck, we seem to be at an impass, and SoCal can't play Current Code until then.
Family Fun Arcade
10363 Balboa Blvd.
Granada Hills, CA USA;

Offline Arlieth Tralare

• Die Zauberwaffe
  • Zaubererkommandant
  • Magic Circuits: 123
  • POW!
    • View Profile
    • Melty Bread
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 10:19:03 PM »
I got an email from Fubar, I fwd'ed it to Ralph this afternoon.
<bellreisa> arly *has* given up 3s
<bellreisa> retired it anyways
<linalys> no he hasn't
<linalys> it lives on in crouch shield
<proxyZAR> and it will die there too lol

Offline Id_asz

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 10:26:14 AM »
I got an email from Fubar, I fwd'ed it to Ralph this afternoon.

It didn't really help, just saying that we needed the regulator in order to get the game working. We're going to bring the board over and regulator to GameDoc and see if Kent can figure it out.

EDIT: We got that problem fixed a little while back, but there's new issues with the cabinet we put it in. It should just about be ready, I'll post again when it's all settled.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 09:20:55 AM by Id_asz »
Family Fun Arcade
10363 Balboa Blvd.
Granada Hills, CA USA;

Offline Id_asz

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 12:31:57 PM »
It's up and running (has been for about a week and a half, now). Can't wait to get a SoCal scene up and running!
Family Fun Arcade
10363 Balboa Blvd.
Granada Hills, CA USA;