When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Speed/Frames per sec. help  (Read 5170 times)

Offline -Sakurazaki-

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
Speed/Frames per sec. help
« on: June 09, 2008, 07:50:24 PM »
Is there a way I can change the frames/sec. so that MBAC will work faster? At 60.0 its kind of slow

Thanks in advance.

Offline Rayza

• MD/VA Barbarian Horde
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 85
  • Lexus LFA
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter account
Re: Speed/Frames per sec. help
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 08:18:35 PM »
The sprite animation is based on frames, the game can only run at 60fps smoothly, it can run lower or higher, but this has the effect of literally making the game run slower or faster. (this isn't fuckin' Quake, higher FPS =/= smoother gameplay)
Follow me @MisterRayza for updates on my streams.

Offline -Sakurazaki-

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 10:14:50 PM »
That doesn't answer my question.

"Is there a way I can change the frames/sec. so that MBAC will work faster?"

Offline Draku

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 8
  • sakura is a good girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 12:17:18 AM »

No.

Offline littlebro

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 02:00:06 AM »
Speedhack or some crack cocaine might help. You can make it slow too but usually faster about 5% for training purposes. Yup, after a while, MBAC looks very slow at normal speed. I dunno what happens if you use it on netplay.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 02:13:37 AM by littlebro »

Offline Legendary Blue Shirt

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 170
  • Meanie
    • View Profile
    • Logical Bends
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 05:35:58 AM »
Options menu before the game starts, fumble around and you'll find the advanced settings.  Change the 60 in the only text box to something higher.  Never actually tried it to speed up, but it does work for reducing speed to 20 fps.

Offline noradseven

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 10
  • quick doctor what is the patients status?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 09:52:59 AM »

unfortunatly for those with out decent compies you can't lower run the game at 30 fps, and have the game drop half the frames like you can in others so if your computer can't run it at full screen, I would

1)make sure you aren't emulating it aka vmware/parallels, wine may also cause some slow downs even though its not emu but my friends compy has no problem running it with wine.

2)quit any other applications you have running.

3)check your RAM I would have over 512Mb preferably like 2Gb even though thats overkill it could always help, plus RAM is cheap as all get out now.

4)get a new compy.

0) you should proably make sure that it accually is running slow and just doesn't appear to be running slow.

Offline Nandeyanen

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • Nyoro~n
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 07:03:06 AM »
Is there a way I can change the frames/sec. so that MBAC will work faster? At 60.0 its kind of slow

Thanks in advance.

Troll

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 07:06:00 AM »

No.

You probably aren't very good with computers. 60 FPS is the optimum speed where computer games usually run at (and usually capped at that value). You probably won't be able to control it beyond that.
Keyboard crusher who couldn't pull off a proper BNB.

Offline Legendary Blue Shirt

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 170
  • Meanie
    • View Profile
    • Logical Bends
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 07:58:25 AM »
60 fps is an established standard, not an optimal number.  Otherwise, yeah.
Edit: Ok got some more info for you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

So the reason 60fps is so common is due to the fact that there are still people out there using low end CRT monitors which cap out at 60hZ refresh rate.  That means that the screen can be redrawn 60 times per second, so games that run at a higher FPS will show no graphical improvement whatsoever.
Also of note, the article mentions that Halo3 runs at 30fps.

That all said, different games can be designed to run at different framerates but still feel like the same speed, so it would be a bad idea to compare the speeds of games by the FPS they run at.  Since Melty Blood was designed to run at 60fps, raising that will increase the speed of the game, but it won't make it run more smoothly.  Moreover MB's command buffer works by frames not time, so if you wanted to play at a faster speed you're going to have a terrible, terrible time actually trying to play it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 08:35:23 AM by Insanius »

Offline noradseven

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 09:38:40 AM »

So the reason 60fps is so common is due to the fact that there are still people out there using low end CRT monitors which cap out at 60hZ refresh rate.  That means that the screen can be redrawn 60 times per second, so games that run at a higher FPS will show no graphical improvement whatsoever.

That all said, different games can be designed to run at different framerates but still feel like the same speed, so it would be a bad idea to compare the speeds of games by the FPS they run at.  Since Melty Blood was designed to run at 60fps, raising that will increase the speed of the game, but it won't make it run more smoothly.  Moreover MB's command buffer works by frames not time, so if you wanted to play at a faster speed you're going to have a terrible, terrible time actually trying to play it.

I believe the human eye can only process a little over 20 fps if I remember correctly.  But yeah it sometimes I have to check if my game is running at full speed sometimes it feels so slow then I go back to Soul caliber II or something and almost fall asleep watching my opponents attack slowly moving towards me, and ppl wonder why I guard impact instead of block.

Offline Animeruko

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 7
  • Because its MOE~ MOE~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 05:02:36 PM »

I believe the human eye can only process a little over 20 fps if I remember correctly.  But yeah it sometimes I have to check if my game is running at full speed sometimes it feels so slow then I go back to Soul caliber II or something and almost fall asleep watching my opponents attack slowly moving towards me, and ppl wonder why I guard impact instead of block.
While i dont actually know if this is true.. i cant say i agree.   If that was the case why is there a visually noticable difference between 30 fps and 60 fps in games and videos? the image quality on a 60 fps video is far better than a 30, and how bout taking refresh rate of CRT monitors into account, 60 hz refresh is horrible in comparison to 75 and uping to 85hz refresh si even better however i think that is where the cutoff is from where we can notice a visual difference.  I know i cant say refresh = frames but its the same concept granted the noticable difference between refreshes is the flickering if you do some tests with video fp's you'll notice the same type of changes and the higher fps will definately look better and more smooth but once again the cutoff is at that magical number of "85"

Its true that 30 frames is the minimum in where the human eyes cant pickup each frame and the image looks smoother but its definately not the limit i dont think.

most console games run at 30 frames persecond which after interlacing is 60 frames.  thats why videogames on PC have a desired minimum FPS of 60 sicne PC's are progressive.  Video on TV is still  either 25fps or 30 fps but i think once HD rolls around and it becomes the standard video will be 60FPS. 

ofcource this is all just my assumption im making an uneducated guess on whats "is"(i dont care to research it).

Offline noradseven

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 05:36:00 PM »
gahh I think all the flickering and failure to look as good problem is because we can only register about 30 frames per second, but we see far more <---confusing I know, it proably has something to do with the way our brain puts together the images and if we perhaps no whats comming next it appears to be not as smooth and we see more of it possibly because our brain can think it faster because we already know what to expect, probably why MB feels much slower after a while too.