When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: EX Guarding  (Read 7194 times)

Offline Benny1

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 16
  • Christmas Akiha just got sexier!
    • View Profile
EX Guarding
« on: February 08, 2010, 05:49:40 AM »
I figure it is worth making a thread to mention that Ex guard actually DOES remove blockstun.  I believe it is 2f, but I'm not totally sure on that, and I'm not sure if it's the same for all levels of blockstun and the like.

This is probably worth more testing though.  I did test it in both crescent and full moons and saw similar results.
C-Wara main, H-Warc/F-Sion alt.

Offline Ultima66

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 16
    • View Profile
Re: EX Guarding
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 12:55:34 PM »
Confirming there's some difference.

Me and a friend both tested C Satsuki mirror 623[A] mash 5A. 623[A] should be between +0 and +2 on block, depending on which frame it was blocked on.

Whenever it was normally blocked, mashing 5A out of blockstun either traded or lost. Whenever it was EX Guarded, 5A won or traded coming out of blockstun. I think it's 2f from the fact that 5A could still trade when both players were mashing and it was EX Guarded. At least that's what I got by actual mashing. My friend said while mashing with autofire, it was making a difference.

Offline AARP|ZTB

• HATEmaster
  • Magic Circuits: 102
  • canes, complaints & caddies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 03:44:34 PM »
Apparently EX-guarding affects fuzzy guarding for some chars i.e. rendering them impossible to execute e.g. F-cl JC > dj > airdash > JA vs wara.

Won't be surprised if this applies to other fuzzies in the game i.e. I'm too lazy to test them all myself so you do it.
zar are you even aware that your attitude is what drove people off in the first place. i think zar's attitude is worse than all of that. cause neither of you guys mean anything. but zar can poison shit around him. zar's the one that gets personal online and does realtalk that's out of line.

Offline Komidol

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 57
  • わが名は征服王コミドール!、この大会のたびにおいては、フル琥珀のクラスを得てげんかいした!
    • View Profile
    • The Kingdom of Biscotti
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 10:48:31 PM »
I found something pretty interesting.  I've known about this for a while but decided to test the applications.

Basically, when you EX Guard an A-attack, you're given +2 frames.  We all know this.  The way I found this out real time is that if I super jumped A'd someone in the air, and they ex guarded the first j.A, I could grab them since they have reduced blockstun.

However, me and Ehrik decided to test further applications of this (and the other way around).  What about the player who successfully EX guards (usually on accident).  If you are the one EX Guarding (at extremely close range), you can grab your opponent before they can do anything.  Thus, if you can react to EX Guard's this is extremely helpful for you.  For the defending, EX-Guarding player you can also grab out of 2A/5A on the majority of character hit boxes, depending on the pushback of different characters 5A's/j.A's/2A's (or really just any move that hits close enough for a grab). 

Edit: Upon further testing, it looks like you can do any reversal type of move.  For example, with F-Koha, after ex-guarding fairly close in the air, I can use magical amber reversal before my opponent can do anything.
GenericSuperHero: komidol's not a nerd, he's a visionary
AnFox: H-mech IS a character.
Exciel: It's 2011, use whoever the hell you want already. Fuck haters and relish the salty tears that drip from their skulls as you stand victorious.

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 70
  • 236c
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 10:49:57 AM »
You could option select the reversal.  If you don't get an ex guard you won't get anything since you'll still be in blockstun.

Offline ehrik

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 144
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 12:15:29 AM »
Yeah even if you mash throw/reversal you'll still be in blockstun. I was able to reliably do it once in a while during casuals with Komidol (I got a throw once off Hmech's j.b after ex guarding it)
<Graven> When you are Ciel, don't try to win, don't even try to do anything. The more you do, the stupider and bigger faggot you become because you're using Ciel.
<WyvernLord> roku is faking his disappearance so melty bread can come out and try to convince him of his value to the community

Offline AM2

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 01:51:27 AM »
EX guarding is glorious.   :toot:
And I can do it a lot easier than instant blocking in GG/BB, but in those games I'm not sure if the guard is instant. :psyduck:
Arguing on which FF game is best doesn't make sense to me.  It feels like you might as well be picking out who's the best schoolyard ball player of the kids who didn't get picked for either team.

Offline ehrik

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 144
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 08:30:44 AM »
Actually stuff probably doesn't work if you look out for it and jump cancel after your first air move is EX guarded (according to zar), but I haven't tested it yet, so need to get on that soon.
<Graven> When you are Ciel, don't try to win, don't even try to do anything. The more you do, the stupider and bigger faggot you become because you're using Ciel.
<WyvernLord> roku is faking his disappearance so melty bread can come out and try to convince him of his value to the community

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • 236c
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 09:36:41 PM »
If they're trying to react to ex guard then their second attack is coming out slower, which means just normal guard and punish.  100% theory, but unless your opponent has 1 frame reaction speeds it should work.

Offline BurstOfAnger

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 13
  • Vatista's chest is 1 inch larger than Linne's
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 03:14:10 AM »
Bara-cancelling may be out of MBAA, but that's where Ex Guarding comes in handy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i89bPxnCpiM

At 4:17, F-Ries Ex-Guards C-Sion's 5a midblockstring. The reduced blockstun let F-Ries recover so fast, she could do 236C in a pseudo-bara-cancel fashion. Unfortunately, C-Sion reacts and shields the 236C since 5a recovers so fast as well. Just an idea, but if you Ex-Guard other moves like B and C moves, this tactic could be more successful since B and C moves have more recovery.
Immortalize! 1st Clause! DIVIDE!

Waldstein is pronounced wa-REN-shu-tain. French Bread trollin'.

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • 236c
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 06:17:31 AM »
Thank you good sir for your valuable input in this matter, however we have already been valiantly discussing that situation at hand and making profound discoveries to further assist in our not-so-proverbial game.  If you happen to uncloak any hidden situations where ex guard provides substantial utility do share.  As you say there may be secrets deep inside of a B or C maneuver which can be brought to light through diligent use of the training mode.  I'm sure Zar the Elusive Biscuit has already made profound discoveries but is reluctant to share glorious knowledge with those he deems mortal.  My own discoveries are merely theoretical in nature and thus not worth divulging to the public until they are thoroughly scrutinized.

Offline Komidol

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 57
  • わが名は征服王コミドール!、この大会のたびにおいては、フル琥珀のクラスを得てげんかいした!
    • View Profile
    • The Kingdom of Biscotti
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 10:35:21 AM »
Thank you good sir for your valuable input in this matter, however we have already been valiantly discussing that situation at hand and making profound discoveries to further assist in our not-so-proverbial game.  If you happen to uncloak any hidden situations where ex guard provides substantial utility do share.  As you say there may be secrets deep inside of a B or C maneuver which can be brought to light through diligent use of the training mode.  I'm sure Zar the Elusive Biscuit has already made profound discoveries but is reluctant to share glorious knowledge with those he deems mortal.  My own discoveries are merely theoretical in nature and thus not worth divulging to the public until they are thoroughly scrutinized.

Goddamnit Zaelar.
GenericSuperHero: komidol's not a nerd, he's a visionary
AnFox: H-mech IS a character.
Exciel: It's 2011, use whoever the hell you want already. Fuck haters and relish the salty tears that drip from their skulls as you stand victorious.