hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: How to build a blockstring  (Read 12212 times)

Offline Psylocke

• Psyduck
  • Magic Circuits: 120
    • View Profile
    • Blog of Randomness
How to build a blockstring
« on: November 20, 2007, 06:47:06 PM »
This is sort of related to the "What is the definition of a blockstring?" topic, but this will go more in depth of how to actually go about making an effective blockstring.

I'll start with a hypothetical situation.  What happens if you dash up to your opponent and press 5aaaaaa as quickly as possible?  Obviously, if the opponent is not blocking for whatever reason, they'll get hit and will be comboed by the rest of the 5a's, but if they blocked, then they will block the entire chain.  In fact, all the opponent really has to do is block the first 5a.  He/she can just let go of the controls and they will just autoblock the rest of the 5as.  This is due to Melty Blood's autoblock system(I don't know if there's a formal term for this, but I'll use this for now).  It's used in a lot of other games as well, like Guilty Gear.  One of the consequences of this is that if the opponent is looking to counterpoke you, then they can just mash on their jab while blocking the 5a's and they won't get penalized at all for doing this, since the 5as come right after another without any gap in between.  If the autoblock system was removed, they would probably have to add in some sort of red parry system like 3s.

So how would you go about punishing people who try to counterpoke during strings?  You would have to create a situation where you trick the opponent into thinking they can attack you, but in reality they can't because they're either behind on frames or have to deal with a very high priority move.  The idea is that instead of just pressing buttons fast one right after another in blockstrings, attacks should be delayed, creating very small gaps where the opponent leaves blockstun and is allowed to do something that will probably get interrupted by your next attack.  There's a lot of terms for this, eg. frametraps, counter hit setups, staggers, etc but they all refer to this.  The difficulty in making these strings is that the gap has to be made small enough so that the opponent will be counterhit if they try anything, but big enough so that they can get out of blockstun.

So first off, here's an example video of a crappy blockstring that unfortunately a lot of players use:
http://www.norematch.com/mb/videos/Blockstrings/Shitty%20Blockstring.wmv
The string in this video is just Akiha 2abc5a, every button pressed immediately after the other.  At first glance, it might seem like an acceptable string, since it's very easy to hitconfirm 2abc into a combo or a 5a whiff cancel to make her safe.  But if it's the only string that's used, it's not good at all because first off, it gets killed by shield bunkers, and even worse, against better players they will just bara, and this is a lot more painful than a bunker if they're using someone like Kouma or Satsuki.

So how can we come up with something better?  First off, we can start with a simple blockstring that almost the entire cast can use.  Although the character used in all of the example videos here is Akiha since she's the character I'm most familiar with, the method applies to everyone.

http://www.norematch.com/mb/videos/Blockstrings/Stagger%202a%20into%202a.wmv
The string used in this video is 2a staggered into another 2a.  This is a very easy string that is for the most part universal.  I programmed the dummy Akiha to do 2a staggered into 2a using the Dummy Record function, and I'm controlling Nanaya and trying to counterpoke after blocked 2a.  After blocking the first 2a, I am literally mashing on low jab, but you can see that Nanaya gets counterhit for trying to poke during this string.  This is the general way that most characters can deal with people mashing on jab during pressure.

It's also worth mentioning that this is really powerful when used in conjunction with throw setups.  Many characters have an easy throw setup with dash momentum 2a(blocked) into throw.  The reason this works is because 2as in this game generally have very little blockstun and pushback, and the dash momentum makes it so that the attacker is still in throw range after the dash 2a(blocked).  The difference in timing between 2a(blocked) into throw and 2a(blocked) staggered into another 2a is very small, so the guy on defense for the most part has to guess.  This is also why characters with command throws have such fearsome stagger strings.  Besides the extra damage and frequently the invincibility, command throws usually have longer range, so characters like White Ren and Kouma can do this same setup but without dash momentum, allowing them to attempt this in more situations.

Now we move on to Akiha 2a staggered into 5b:
http://www.norematch.com/mb/videos/Blockstrings/Stagger%202a%20into%205b.wmv
Akiha 5b is one of her most important normals in pressure, as its hitbox goes all the way to the floor, has clash frames, and she has many options off of a blocked 5b.  Here, the gap between 2a and 5b is a little smaller than 2a to 2a, since 2a has faster startup than 5b.  In this video, Akiha does 2a staggered to 5b three times in a row.  Nanaya is mashing on jab the first 2 times, and tries to react to the blocked 2a and counterpoke the third time, but all 3 times Nanaya gets counterhit.  5b knocks down crouchers, so Akiha can just hitconfirm the 5b into a makeshift combo(5b5aa jump cancel into aircombo).

Next is Akiha 2a staggered into 5b again, but with a slightly larger gap:
http://www.norematch.com/mb/videos/Blockstrings/Stagger%202a%20into%205b%20late.wmv
Here, Akiha does the string four times in a row.  The first two times, I try to react to the 2a and jab out only to get counterhit by the 5b.  The 3rd and 4th time, I am mashing on jab after seeing the blocked 2a and as a result I successfully counterpoke Akiha.  What does this mean?  Clearly giving 2a into 5b a larger gap loses to mashers, but this is still as good a string as the previous one because we've already shown that mashing during pressure is bad because of 2a staggered into 2a.  In fact, this is probably better than the previous string because most good players won't mash, and thus this should catch players trying to react to the blocked 2a with a poke more often.

Next we have another common Akiha stagger string, 5b into 5c:
http://www.norematch.com/mb/videos/Blockstrings/Stagger%205b%20into%205c.wmv
5b is a lvl2 normal, and 5c is a lvl3 normal.  This means that 5b puts the defender into blockstun for a longer period of time than 2a, so the gap between 5b and 5c is a bit larger than the one between 2a->2a and 2a->5b.  5c is another important normal in Akiha's pressure game, as it also has clash frames and has a hitbox that is very effective in catching people trying to jump out of pressure.  In this video, Akiha does 5b staggered to 5c three times in a row.  The first two times, I'm trying to poke out by mashing and by reacting to the 5b, and I get counterhit both times.  The 3rd time, I try to jump out after the blocked 5b, and I get hit by 5c.

Finally, yet another common Akiha stagger string, 5c into 2c:
http://www.norematch.com/mb/videos/Blockstrings/Stagger%205c%20into%202c.wmv
Since 5c is a lvl3 normal, it puts the defender into even more blockstun than 5a and 5b, so the gap here is even larger than 2a->5b and 5b->5c.  Same explanation as the previous videos apply here, I get counterhit trying to poke out after 5c.

So with all this above information, we combine it to get a good string: 2a5b5c2c.  This is a fairly common string that Yukinose uses quite a bit.  That gives a total number of three different areas in this string(2a->5b, 5b->5c, 5c->2c) where the defender can be baited into trying to counterpoke.  5b, 5c, and 2c are all easily hitconfirmable to combos if they hit.  This is just an example of one of the strings that Akiha can use.

What we can learn from this is that to make a good string, first figure out all your move properties(what moves have clash frames, what their startup is, what lvl they are, etc).  Then go into training mode and make use of the Dummy Record.  Record your character doing your staggered string in question, and then play it back and try to see if you can poke out or not.  Practice and try to get a feel for the timing of the delays, so that the gap is small enough so that the defender cannot safely counterpoke but big enough so that the defender gets out of blockstun.  And finally, work on hitconfirm skills as it would suck to successfully bait the defender into attacking but not be able to convert the trap into a full combo.

Also, this isn't the whole story on blockstrings, there's also stuff like whiff cancels to get frame advantage and whiff chains.  I might go into these in another post.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 06:56:59 PM by Psylocke »
Blog

‹ Tatari|JE › I have another friend who would play MB if it was "less like Mortal Kombat"
‹ HalVegas2 › how do you compare those two ‹ sphy › every time you touch someone in mb it turns into a BRUTALITY

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • Magic Circuits: 51
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
Re: How to build a blockstring
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 06:59:53 PM »
VERY well-written. Provides adequate background for how exactly pressure works in this game. Definitely a must-read for both new players and veterans alike. +Heat 2A mashers beware (you know who you are).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 07:17:40 PM by H-F Blade »
<--- "the irony of being one of the least anime people in the anime FGC" - bell

Offline motoh

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 07:03:39 PM »
Wow.  Very nice post, Psylock.  +HEATage.  Would you mind me wikinizing this?

~M

Offline S-Blade

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 9
  • melty blade player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 07:12:23 PM »
yay

heeaaaaaaaaaatt
"HERE'S A NEW TECHNIQUE - STOP BEING A RETARDED FAGGOT" -SprtJuice on smash scene

<kijea> im like really sad life faggot

Offline dakanya

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 07:22:26 PM »
I consider this the next step after you've learned to execute BnBs. A must read for new players.
thundering waterfalls

Offline Sp00ky

• Melty Pancake
  • Magic Circuits: 46
    • View Profile
    • Team Spooky
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 04:24:40 AM »
Note that midscreen the correct counter for these types of strings is backdash. Backdash however loses to using IAD instead of a stagger, or certain long range baits and tricks.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 04:27:30 AM by Sp00ky »

Offline motoh

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 04:37:46 AM »
Question - Is it only certain backdashes that have that vulnerability?  Some of them appear to keep you grounded, that's why I'm asking.

~M

Offline Sp00ky

• Melty Pancake
  • Magic Circuits: 46
    • View Profile
    • Team Spooky
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 05:16:56 AM »
It's based on the speed of the backdash. Shiki's are harder to punish than say, v.sion, but all backdashes have a small amount of time where they can be punished.

Offline c-nero 5[c]

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 13
  • another well-balanced masterpiece from frenchbread
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 10:59:17 AM »
If they're backdashing a lot you can often punish it with a simple forward dash, although this requires you to actually be expecting the backdash. But characters with a long-distance fast dash (wara, sion) can do this.
<Irysa> arcana heart 3 just red ringed my 360 im not even joking
<Sabator> LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
<Sabator> BBCS RED RINGED MINE
<Sabator> FUCKING ANIME GAMES MAN

Offline tenkai#

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 04:58:26 PM »
Incredible article! (If I could, I'd give you a +HEAT)

I confess to being one of those 2a2b2c5a scrubs, so reading this is very helpful. I really like your clear explanation of the mechanics behind blockstrings. Bonus for the Akiha examples.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 05:00:03 PM by tenkai »

Offline ennvi

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 06:52:55 PM »
Very nice write up. Really helped me out in figuring this stuff out ^^
"There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man—with human flesh."

The Official God FAQ.

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • Magic Circuits: 51
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 07:24:13 PM »
If they're backdashing a lot you can often punish it with a simple forward dash, although this requires you to actually be expecting the backdash. But characters with a long-distance fast dash (wara, sion) can do this.
This is true. Also, if you dash into them expecting a backdash but they decide to sit still, they might 2A you into a combo causing you to lose momentum. So even though the attacker might be at an advantage, they still have to perform a little guesswork.
<--- "the irony of being one of the least anime people in the anime FGC" - bell

Offline c-nero 5[c]

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 02:05:07 AM »
But if you're successful, you can punish with a full BnB, which you won't get from most character's long range options (for example, dashing up with warakia is better than punishing with a 22 tornado from distance, but also less safe)

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 70
  • 236c
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 12:40:05 PM »
This is more about counter hit setups than block strings. They are sometimes called frame traps.  You can do them on hit or block, it is just pointless on hit because you should just combo.

In order to make a counter hit setup effective you need to have some kind of threat for punishing blocking, like a grab.  This is why the basic 2a, wait 2a works, since you could do 2a, wait grab instead, and this isn't something you can react to.  Putting a setup in the middle of a block string only works against people who press buttons, so you need to give them a reason to press buttons.

Offline c-nero 5[c]

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 11:25:01 PM »
It depends. Some people are just really eager to get out of blockstun and superjump away asap. The reason this is so common in low-level play is because not enough people put priority on learning their frametraps. I didn't know it was that important until a month or so ago.

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 70
  • 236c
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 11:57:25 PM »
Yeah, it will work on people that don't know better or people with twitchy fingers, but that isn't something you want to rely on.  It will hit weaker players frequently, but they will also reversal out of it more often, and against weaker players you don't want to take risks like that.  Against stronger players, they are less likely to go for the reversal, but also will rarely get hit by a staggered move if there isn't something to threaten their low block, like a grab or overhead.  It's the yomi game.  If your opponent can beat whatever you do with one move(low block), then why do anything else?

You also need a way to bait reversals when you leave gaps(hi 236c).  This is why you want to use a move that clashes after a hole in your block string, so even if your opponent reversals something that's invulnerable, you can still clash.  A attacks also work since you can cancel into shield after a super flash, but it won't save you against non-super reversals.

Offline motoh

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 09:25:59 AM »
Created the wiki article.  It's ugly and needs refining.  I'll get on it asap.  Please leave me feedback as I go, though.

http://wiki.meltybread.com/index.php?n=ActCadenza.Blockstring

Priorities: 
Incorporate Psylocke's example videos and the pros/cons of each
Add input from Sp00ky, Zaelar and others
Seperate blocking and opening mechanics from introduction/definition

For now, I go nighttimes.  Take care, all.

~M
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 09:33:13 AM by motoh »

Offline ehrik

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 144
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 02:30:20 PM »
This is great for me since I have shitty 5a  whiff blockstring
<Graven> When you are Ciel, don't try to win, don't even try to do anything. The more you do, the stupider and bigger faggot you become because you're using Ciel.
<WyvernLord> roku is faking his disappearance so melty bread can come out and try to convince him of his value to the community