When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Mash to reduce damage!  (Read 13103 times)

Offline ಠ_ಠ Dizzynecro

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 40
  • Doriflectos
    • View Profile
Mash to reduce damage!
« on: March 04, 2007, 05:01:28 PM »
Is this worth the effort?
Plz say no cause its dumb and i dont wanna do it.

By the way, Are Melty Blood and Melty Bread different games?

Offline Hintalove

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • Conquering Japan, one cabinet at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Mash to reduce damage!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 05:25:19 PM »
I don't see why you wouldn't do it... you need to mash to tech out of combos, and having that reduce damage should just be an added bonus for you. Just be happy you don't have to time your mashing against your opponent's hits like in Ver B, because if you really are trying to reduce damage, it's way easier for invalid combos to come up due to lack of consistand mashing for teching. The new system totally is the closest thing I've ever seen to encouraging invalid combos.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l82/kiwiishungry/omfg.jpg
Ai ga areba heiwa da to dareka ga kuchi ni shiteita
Someone said that "As long as there's love, all will be peaceful"

Offline Zaido

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 51
  • HISATSU - GIIIGAA!! DURIIIRU!! BUREEIIKAA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 05:31:04 PM »
the new mashing system feels more worth it since you can actually feel the dmg reduction when you actually mash it right.. the one now.. feels wierd since i mash alot and i have no idea if i am mashing it enough to reduce dmg so ... so i kind of giving up on mashing really hard unless i am near death and if tat extra mashign will help shave off 100 dmg just to save my ass XD
<@Sp00ky> basically ruu got on the stick and started having sex with heart
<@Sp00ky> and she did impossible shit
<@Sp00ky> and arturo died

Offline linalys

• Melty Muffin
  • Magic Circuits: 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 06:47:49 PM »
As of Arcade Ver B (not correction edition), you can't "mash" to reduce damage anymore.  It's now a stricter timing window to reduce damage, not to say you can't still mash anyway, but supposedly mashing is less effective now. 
<Xenozip> actually i think miyako was intuitive for linalys
<Xenozip> simple because his playstyle is.. well..
<Xenozip> linalys
<Xenozip> true chaotic

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 09:22:59 PM »
Even in the ps2 version mashing like a madman doesn't get me out of invalid wallslam combos, even when I'm holding a direction. I don't always understand this game. :\ But the whole concept of mashing is just very unintuitive to me.
<--- "the irony of being one of the least anime people in the anime FGC" - bell

Offline Hintalove

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • Conquering Japan, one cabinet at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 01:07:05 AM »
There are still times when you all out mash in ver b, mostly moves like Len ex ice/Nanaya chun-li attack, ect. Any move that hits a rediculous amount of times. Other than that though, how the system works, is you hit the button like a moment after the damage comes, so basically you have to mirror your opponents combo. The easiest way to get a feel for it is taking the audio ques from the hits and tapping along with them, like for the generic aircombo damage reduction it's just taptap, tap, taptap, tap, tap(different depending on where the damage is inflicted in the throw from character to character).

If you hit the button to soon, you fail, and I'm not sure on this, but I think you need to leave a little window before you start reducing again. I think that's how it is because if you jump the gun on Len's ex ice/ect and you mash all the way through, you fail the entire thing. And then of course, theres the whole invalid combos bs. Rawr.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l82/kiwiishungry/omfg.jpg
Ai ga areba heiwa da to dareka ga kuchi ni shiteita
Someone said that "As long as there's love, all will be peaceful"

Offline Sp00ky

• Melty Pancake
  • Magic Circuits: 46
    • View Profile
    • Team Spooky
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 04:51:13 AM »
Is this worth the effort?
Plz say no cause its dumb and i dont wanna do it.

Sorry to dissapoint you, but mashing is extremely effective and over the course of a single round can mitigate 1k damage or more.

Those nec vids where I win rounds off a pixel of health? Yeah, now you know.

As far as failing to get out of invalid combos, mash harder. Seriously. Break the poor buttons, and make them pay for failing those complicated wallslam combos.

Offline ~Dizzy-san

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 1
  • Death awaits you...my 9236C will make sure of it!
    • View Profile
    • The New A HQ
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 06:38:31 AM »
It's pretty much not to mash anyway because you'll still suffer damage in the end. Plus continuous mashing might break your concentration during the game, so it's better off not using it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/josh2k/miguzi.png
Want to see a lot of vids? Here's everything MBAC, FT, and a few others: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SabreTheGreatOne
 Check out my forum, the new A-HQ!

Offline Arlieth Tralare

• Die Zauberwaffe
  • Zaubererkommandant
  • Magic Circuits: 123
  • POW!
    • View Profile
    • Melty Bread
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 07:30:43 AM »
Hey, every little bit counts. You're gonna be counting those pixels in the end, believe you me.
<bellreisa> arly *has* given up 3s
<bellreisa> retired it anyways
<linalys> no he hasn't
<linalys> it lives on in crouch shield
<proxyZAR> and it will die there too lol

Offline XAQshinor

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 38
  • Shirley ;-;
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 07:52:41 AM »
It's pretty much not to mash anyway because you'll still suffer damage in the end. Plus continuous mashing might break your concentration during the game, so it's better off not using it.

EL OH EL!

Offline ikusat

• Melty Muffin
  • Magic Circuits: 102
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 10:02:49 AM »
The only mechanic that actually changed between MBAC version A and B is that B now penalizes you(time lock out, so no mashing) for missing hits.  If you took a perfect version B button tapper, they will get the exact same reduction if they played on version A, or even the PC versions.

For the PS2 and PC versions, just mash like mad(~25% reduction in general).  For the arcade version B, learn to tap.

A properly timed button press will reduce the damage of that particular hit by 30%.  This is a very significant reduction, and so even if it feels unnatural and messes up your rhythm in the short run, in the long run, you'll probably get 10-15% more life as a result.

Offline KD0089

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 12:55:31 PM »
ooooooook ::)

Offline ಠ_ಠ Dizzynecro

• Magus Candidate
  • Doriflectos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 01:24:50 PM »
The only mechanic that actually changed between MBAC version A and B is that B now penalizes you(time lock out, so no mashing) for missing hits.  If you took a perfect version B button tapper, they will get the exact same reduction if they played on version A, or even the PC versions.

For the PS2 and PC versions, just mash like mad(~25% reduction in general).  For the arcade version B, learn to tap.

A properly timed button press will reduce the damage of that particular hit by 30%.  This is a very significant reduction, and so even if it feels unnatural and messes up your rhythm in the short run, in the long run, you'll probably get 10-15% more life as a result.

erm define properly timed?
is there a rythm or something?

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 02:08:12 PM »
Properly timed in the sense that your button taps have to be synchronized with the opponent's combo.
<--- "the irony of being one of the least anime people in the anime FGC" - bell

Offline ikusat

• Melty Muffin
  • Magic Circuits: 102
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 03:47:33 PM »
I'm not sure on the exact frame timing, but basically what H-F said, you basically have to match your opponent's combo hit by hit.  Any button works(not sure about Q though)

Also another thing to note is this damage reduction also works while blocking.  While chip damage is not that big of a deal in melty blood, it's worth keeping in mind if you somehow come across a Kohaku who manages to set up her 40% chip combo of doom.

Offline Kix

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 19
  • Slayer and Galneryus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 05:02:39 PM »
Chip damage reduction too? That is beyond retarded. Chip damage should be multiple times as much as it is now especially if they want to try that.

For some reason the timed taps doesn't sound as bad to me. Part of the reason why I don't like mashing is because I'm bad at it I think. I need to get a stick and it would work better.
"This port is going to be outdated faster than you can say "Dance Romanesque and unfinished Romancia" -Dizzynecro

Offline Arlieth Tralare

• Die Zauberwaffe
  • Zaubererkommandant
  • Magic Circuits: 123
  • POW!
    • View Profile
    • Melty Bread
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 05:20:21 PM »
You know, I would've thought that they'd make button presses release your block-state.
<bellreisa> arly *has* given up 3s
<bellreisa> retired it anyways
<linalys> no he hasn't
<linalys> it lives on in crouch shield
<proxyZAR> and it will die there too lol

Offline linalys

• Melty Muffin
  • Magic Circuits: 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007, 05:32:15 PM »
Nah, MB's is the absolute block state style.  Not like 3S's blocking.  If a Ciel throws like EX swords at you, you can block the first and let go of back and block the rest. 
<Xenozip> actually i think miyako was intuitive for linalys
<Xenozip> simple because his playstyle is.. well..
<Xenozip> linalys
<Xenozip> true chaotic

Offline ಠ_ಠ Dizzynecro

• Magus Candidate
  • Doriflectos
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007, 07:42:35 PM »
yea if you could get out of block state you could red parry which would be stupid for this game.

Offline KD0089

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2007, 09:18:27 PM »
it would be pretty stupid. i'm glad that's only in third strike.

Offline sleepy

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2007, 09:24:07 PM »
does mashing affect red bar (health) in anyway? does it just reduce the damage and the redbar acts like it always does, or does it act in conjunction with that bar, hense reduce damage reduce healing. I know it's a very hard thing to tell the difference, but I'm wondering if this is the case at all.