When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Melty Blood Trials/Challenges  (Read 14008 times)

Offline koorimusha

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 8
    • View Profile
Melty Blood Trials/Challenges
« on: February 03, 2014, 02:44:06 PM »
Lots of technical talk over on this forum... How about something a little new, for a change?

Over the course of years, so many newer fighting games have been getting trials and challenges: 3rd Strike OE, Street Fighter IV, BlazBlue, you name it. At first, I didn't care, but after finding out how useful and helpful this mode and feature could be, I felt a little saddened that 1.07 for PC was a bit of a shoddy port with nothing special added other than Powerd Ciel, Archetype, and character balancing. Which, I'm not complaining about. I love what they did to make more characters useful and have more depth. But wouldn't it be great if this game had a challenge mode?

It's probably silly to just generate a list of combos that are doable on a forum of all things. It'd be cool if it was actually programmed into the game itself, which it isn't sadly. But let's just use our imaginations for a moment...

What I especially loved about BlazBlue's challenge mode in specific was that even though some of the challenge combos were impractical, they can very well be optimized for practical and personal use. Your damage might go down compared to the original damage, but damage isn't everything, right? I kind of wish for Melty Blood to have this sort of thing as well, just for shits and giggles. I can imagine a lot of combos being easy, but some characters have legitimately hard stuff that's also practical. At least for me...

I can probably just get a list started, but as for turning on MB and seeing what's doable and practical, I'll try to get that done later on. Not too much in the mood right now. But there are a lot of characters I'm very familiar with and can do without any hassle. So here we go...

Things to think about:
- Would each moon have their own "challenge", or would it be spread throughout the entire character? And why?
- Who would be the main challenge dummy? Similar to how it's always Dan is Street Fighter IV or Bang in BlazBlue. Or would it be better if it was more like 3rd Strike OE where the opponent and stage always changed based on what challenge you're on for character specific combos? And why? Ciel is now the challenge mode dummy.
- What should the main focus of the challenge mode be? A series of easy to hard combos to challenge how good the player's execution and dexterity is? Or should be actual practical stuff that anyone from a newbie to a hardcore pro could quickly learn from? And why?
- And why?

Contributions:
Anyone who has a dropbox that would like to contribute to this challenge mode, feel free to. There's a neat sharing feature where if you add or update something, it updates on both (or all) ends of the spectrum. That way, if multiple people collaborate and update characters they're personally familiar with, this whole process could most definitely go faster. Feel free to PM me for details.

Green = Complete
Orange = Incomplete
Red = Missing

Purple = Not Sure If Complete

Available Challenges:

How to Read Combos

Aozaki Aoko Crescent Half Full
Arcueid=Brunestud Crescent Half Full
Arima Miyako Crescent Half Full
Ciel Crescent Half Full
Kishima Kouma Crescent Half Full
Michael Roa Valdamjong Crescent Half Full
Powerd Ciel Crescent Half Full
Riesbyfe Stridberg Crescent Half Full
Sion Eltnam Atlasia Crescent Half Full
Sion TATARI Crescent Half Full
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 10:46:19 PM by koorimusha »

Offline Cristu

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 23
  • Melty Blood > $
    • View Profile
Re: Melty Blood Trials/Challenges
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 02:16:20 PM »
I think each moon makes more sense. For dummy I really think anything is ok. About being pratical or not, I think anything is fine too.
A little bit of console ain't too bad.

Offline koorimusha

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 01:41:26 AM »
I'm back, so here I go. I'll be using dropbox to regularly update the challenges and make sure the original post has them as well. Arbitrarily, I decided to do C-Roa first. Well, not so much arbitrary though as I'm rather fond of him despite being unable to play as him, so I did him first for fun. I'm very aware C-Roa has more than what I put down. He has a few lightning loop setups that that consist of 2A juggles as I've seen from other great C-Roa players. They seem really difficult and I'm just now learning how to do lightning loops in training mode. Feel free to contribute...

Michael Roa Valdamjong

I felt these set of challenges in this order was fair, so far... I find that even some of the first ones are completely practical albeit babby mode for a person who's new to fighting games that will also give them a fair challenge. Not everyone can do air combos proficiently if they haven't developed muscle memory. From #1 and on, they of course get harder. And if you feel a certain combo should be between one of these, I could easily rearrange the order. Anyhow, these combos are not only hard but kind of shows you the ropes. Lightning loops in challenge #5 and #6 are obviously practical on a higher level due to them being the main tools for setting up high damaging combos and sometimes traps/frame traps. Roa is a high execution character in my honest opinion, he has many ways of going about these setups... Opinions?

On an off note, or not so off, I'm very fond of pummeling Ciel. If there was a challenge dummy, perhaps she would be it. Most if not everything works on her.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 01:49:49 AM by koorimusha »

Offline koorimusha

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 11:46:36 AM »
Got a little update today, folks. Powerd Ciel and Riesbyfe has been added, in addition to a description on how to read combos for the newcomers. I DID take into consideration that not everyone knows how to do air combos, so why not have this too? I also put some color code to help make it more readable in order to determine the progress of each moon's challenges. Also, some of these combos are from the character threads, such as Riesbyfe's Full Moon.

As of 2/19/14: Added Q&A instructions, C-Pciel #1-3, F-Pciel #1-4, and F-Ries #1-6.
How To Read Combos
Powerd Ciel
Riesbyfe Stridberg

A little extra note. Just because a moon is marked green doesn't mean it's actually complete. It's only what I consider complete. I may be wrong, I'm not the best player in the world. For example, Riesbyfe has a number of damage and oki combos along with an Initiative Heat combo. That feels very complete to me, what else is there to possibly know or even challenge yourself with? This is what I "think". Also, you can even make notes of any adjustments or suggestion to the how to document.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:49:12 AM by koorimusha »

Offline koorimusha

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 11:43:24 AM »
As of 2/25/14: H-Roa, F-Roa, and All of Ciel
Ciel
Michael Roa Valdamjong

I decided to go ahead and mark C-Roa as complete (green) and I did some work on H and F, and they also came out complete (green). Wasn't too hard. His other moons are pretty simple as far as I can tell. As for Ciel, I also got all of her moons done, but I feel as if F-Ciel could have more to offer (Another Arc Drive and Initiative Heat combos) and I'm really not sure what H-Ciel could bring to the table compared to C-Ciel because otherwise, they'd have pretty much the same exact challenges. So, that's my addition. I was thinking of trying out some Aoko next, but not 100% on that until I actually decide to continue.

This is once again futile, but thoughts? Opinions? Comments? Etc ...

Offline koorimusha

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 12:31:08 AM »
As of 3/5/14: Added All of Kouma, All of Aoko
Aozaki Aoko
Kishima Kouma

Aoko is missing some Full and Kouma's definitely missing some Half. I don't know crap about H-Kouma, so I'll probably have to spend some time looking at some video when I'm bored or something. In the meantime, still idly working on these on and off on occasions. I should probably stop saying "Thoughts?" at this point. Heh...

Offline koorimusha

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 08:31:57 PM »
As of 3/7/14: All of Sion and All of Vsion
Sion Eltnam Atlasia
Sion TATARI

This is another case of me knowing jack about the other moons. Half and Full are the bane of me for these characters, but Crescent if rather complete, especially for Sion. She's got a BnB, Max Damage BnB, metered overhead hit confirm BnB, an OTG combo for knockdown or just damage, and an Arc-Drive combo. Just as I posted this though, I think there was another okizeme combo H-VSion had. Might update it when I get around to it. Even then, it still seems rather lack luster.

Offline koorimusha

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 04:00:52 PM »
As of 4/5/14: Added H-PCiel, All of Arcueid, All of Miyako
Powerd Ciel
Arcueid=Brunestud
Arima Miyako

I finally added some Half Moon Powerd Ciel, due to not being lazy about it. Arcueid and Miyako has also been added. I think Arcueid has a lot more to offer, but I'm just not sure. I'm not an Arcueid player. I'm not a Miyako player either, but I feel confident that she deserves two sets of greens, after all the tourney vids I've seen of her. Her Half Moon is the only exception where I feel "eh" about. I never see her, so I tried my best to invent something without any reference. Or did I use any references? I completely forgot, this was a while ago.

Anyway, it has been about a whole month since I updated this. Don't worry, I'm not losing faith or motivation, I'm going to keep making challenge mode missions until the end, no matter how long it takes. I like combo grinding in Melty whenever I'm not working or playing something else.

I'd also like to add another bit of information. Anyone that has a dropbox who would like to contribute to this challenge mode, feel free to. There's a neat sharing feature where if you add or update something, it updates on both (or all) ends of the spectrum. That way, if multiple people collaborate and update characters they're personally familiar with, this whole process could most definitely go faster. Feel free to PM me for details.

Offline Roy-Kr

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 12:30:08 AM »
You should add some challenging challenges, such as different variants of Aoko's "Double jump vs standing characters" combo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9EhJQy8iTI&feature=youtu.be&t=2m13s

Offline koorimusha

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 08:48:04 PM »
You should add some challenging challenges, such as different variants of Aoko's "Double jump vs standing characters" combo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9EhJQy8iTI&feature=youtu.be&t=2m13s
You're absolutely right. I know so far that most of these are just practical and not necessarily challenging in the completely impractical department. It's just been me doing this the whole time, but I do believe I can slowly update Crescent Aoko while using this video as a guide. And perhaps more characters in the future. Plus, I've been slightly focused on trying to fill in the missing spaces (i.e. missing characters and moons that has less than 3 combos), and then going above and beyond, which takes even more work, of course.

Work's been getting in my way, a little. I come home tired. Sometimes talk to my buddy. But again, like I said in my previous post, I'm not giving up on this. When I'm actually in a Melty mood, I combo grind and find new techs all the time. There's more room for improvement. Aoko is one of my favorite characters, I'll definitely get her double jump vs standing characters combo in. (When I do things, I'm usually all over the place and scatterbrained.) And if you have a suggested order before I even get to it, feel free. Thank you for your contributions!

Offline Sashi

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 9
  • Scene Killer~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 12:19:46 PM »
FArc combos are dumb 2C loops. Something like 5B 2BC 236A 623A~6A 2C 236B 623A 5A 2C 236B 623A. Hella hard timing, though.
Clmelty: Rokumoe!

Offline Roy-Kr

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 05:11:20 PM »
I know a guy who'd be all over these challenges. I'll see if I can't get a hold of him when he comes on IRC.
You can also add these tech/untech punishes if you want practical (scary) stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL7aZ9JW_PI

Offline koorimusha

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 02:00:47 PM »
I know a guy who'd be all over these challenges. I'll see if I can't get a hold of him when he comes on IRC.
You can also add these tech/untech punishes if you want practical (scary) stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL7aZ9JW_PI
Hahaha. When you say challenging, you mean it. I don't know how I level up to the average Melty player, but so far I haven't been able to do any of these. Very good strats for an experienced stick player, but good luck on a pad. That's me, pad.

In the double jump vs standing characters, these too are very difficult. And I'm not even talking about the ones where you have to hold the orb. Kill me. But at least I've been able to do it once. The most difficult part is starting the combo and timing j.A j.A just before hitting the ground. Also, this combo doesn't seem to work on Ciel. I can't clarify if there's a character where literally everything works on them, but perhaps the "Official Challenge Mode Dummy" could be worked on a little. Perhaps there can't be only one dummy.

So, I think that can make a +1 to Aoko's Crescent list so far. An easier variant of the double jump vs standing characters. As for the tech punish videos, I haven't done any tech punish combos since those are uncommon in other games, but who's to say Melty can't have it? This ain't even official anyway.

Also to add, I think there's a better way to write down how Aoko's orbs are suppose to look in combos. Instead of writing them in "conditions", I can just use 421(A) > etc. The moment they are to be release, type (!). Simple. So I guess that's part of the update as well.

Thanks, everyone. I got to challenge myself and find another cool combo to execute, including a potential array of new combos for a character. Just gonna have to get creative here. To go beyond #6 at this point.

As of 4/12/14: C-Aoko updated, changed progression color to orange (incomplete).
Aozaki Aoko

Offline koorimusha

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 03:42:44 PM »
As of 4/23/14: H-Aoko updated (thanks to purps)
Aozaki Aoko

Half Moon Aoko went from three challenges to nine. Kakato combos are hard as shit. It really gave me a tough time. I even spent hours clarifying if the challenges I had written down were good enough. What a day for me. If any of you sees anything you can fix up, please let me know. I have a big feeling it just might be.

I'm not sure who I'm gonna work on next. But keep em comin' folks. I'm quite satisfied with the contributions I've had so far.

Offline koorimusha

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 10:45:12 PM »
As of 5/10/14: Kouma Link Fixed & C-Ries added
Kishima Kouma
Riesbyfe Stridberg

For some reason, Kouma's link was broken. Not sure why, but it's fixed now. And lazily, I added some stuff for Crescent Moon Riesbyfe, will do Half Moon later and probably more Crescent Moon when I find more stuff...

In the meantime, it's been a while since I updated this. Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you're gonna get. And did I get one hell of a taste of those chocolates. These past weeks have been crazy. Unbelievable. But you know what? Still updating this.

Offline koorimusha

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 10:32:03 PM »
Contrary to popular belief, I did not die.

Sorry for the long disappearance, a lot of things happened, I built a new PC, my mother died, I'm working holidays and long hours, shit happened. I wasn't really able to check the forums and PMs out for a while now. Sorry for those who wanted to contribute to the dropbox or what, but I'll try to be slightly more active as of late. Just not immediately. Don't be afraid to hit me up, I'll at least be able to check everyone out. PM me if you have Skype or want to be part of the dropbox contributions, or just say shit.

How many months has it been...?

I'm still interested in Melty Blood, it is a long time favorite for me. It got me into fighting games and I'm still coming back to it. Never do I cease to be amazed by tech that is discovered amidst Japanese and Americans alike. It's just a shame I might not be able to emulate such skills. But nevertheless, I tirelessly grind in training mode while watching videos of it on occasions. And now, I wish to get back into this project.

I have no character updates for you today, but sooner than later I will get to that. Especially if some of you decide to contribute in one way or another. See you soon.