When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: need help transitioning from AC to AA  (Read 7534 times)

Offline AM2

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
    • View Profile
need help transitioning from AC to AA
« on: April 28, 2010, 11:04:18 PM »
I'm having problems in general learning how to play in Actress Again, the right way. Some of my bad habits from when I started by playing Act Cadenza are happening again. I mess up reverse beats in a combo, the gameplay is so unfamiliar. And the only character I can do decent with is Ryougi. Help please. :slowpoke:
Arguing on which FF game is best doesn't make sense to me.  It feels like you might as well be picking out who's the best schoolyard ball player of the kids who didn't get picked for either team.

Offline Numakie

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 19
  • Oh nooooz~~!
    • View Profile
Re: need help transitioning from AC to AA
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 11:18:12 PM »
Is the problem mainly with combos, footsies, tech punishing, hit confirming, counter baiting, relying on dat 2A?
~~Playing the wrong way... and somehow getting away with it.~~
<Pfhor>: no, I only have nightmares about your play numakie
<Pfhor>: because it makes no fucking sense
<Pfhor>: like WHY IS THIS HISUI DOING THESE THINGS

Offline dakanya

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 11:23:34 PM »
come down to the ranbat this saturday and we'll straighten you out. i hear djcream is going to be in the area, maybe you two can carpool. and you got a new gg guy on dustloop in the area. do it.
thundering waterfalls

Offline AM2

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 12:25:48 AM »
Don't have money to give for gas.
Arguing on which FF game is best doesn't make sense to me.  It feels like you might as well be picking out who's the best schoolyard ball player of the kids who didn't get picked for either team.

Offline dakanya

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 12:44:33 AM »
nornorcal is superpoorcal ._.
thundering waterfalls

Offline Tempered

• America is free to Satsuki
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • fullscreen j.[c] mixup
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 10:02:13 PM »
If you can play AC theres no reason you cant play AA. if you cant play AC then you cant play AA. They're very similar with some changes and whatnot, but pretty much the same.

Slight tip. PRACTICE MODE.
During Loser's Finals at NECX:

<Crowd at Jiyuna about to Lose> Na na na naaaa, na na na naaaa, hey hey hey, Goodbyeeee~

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 11:28:26 PM »
Most of the crescent-moon style characters are largely similar to their MBAC counterparts. Practise your main's Crescent style a shot and perhaps try out a different moon for variety.
Keyboard crusher who couldn't pull off a proper BNB.

Offline AM2

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 08:51:13 PM »
Update: I'm getting more used to the gameplay, but I still have problems properly applying dem fighting game fundamentals to it. Also, I'm liking Full Moon more and more, especially F-Aoko, F-Akiha, and F-Mech Hisui. But I'll still play Ryougi in Half-Moon. Also, what's the best way to learn Sacchin? The changes made to her throws make me worse at playing as her.

Offline Ultima66

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 03:26:02 PM »
Update: I'm getting more used to the gameplay, but I still have problems properly applying dem fighting game fundamentals to it. Also, I'm liking Full Moon more and more, especially F-Aoko, F-Akiha, and F-Mech Hisui. But I'll still play Ryougi in Half-Moon. Also, what's the best way to learn Sacchin? The changes made to her throws make me worse at playing as her.

Try to learn her bnb and then quit because she sucks.

Offline AM2

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 08:02:33 PM »

But...why? :psyduck:

Offline Ultima66

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 09:05:06 PM »

Because Satsuki is seriously one of the least rewarding characters to play. Her bnb is one of the hardest in the game, and she's still low tier. Not that it means that much in this game, but the issue isn't the tier itself, but why she's low tier: her neutral game is really bad and oki is very good. So it's a gigantic pain to actually hit someone with her but if you do they can get trapped pretty easy in mixups. Still, this leads to situations like me sitting in the corner against HTohno for like 10 games in a row and no matter what button I press and what button the opponent presses Satsuki somehow manages to lose because her normals aren't good.

I mean, if you really want to. I haven't played Melty in like months because I'm awful and can't deal with the Satsuki execution barrier. She has a lot of the same problems as traditional grapplers, but I play Tager in BB because I can actually do his combos and Satsuki's combos made me want to quit this game.

Offline Abstract Nonsense

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • finding comfort in boning a whale
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 11:33:17 PM »

Because learning her neutral game is a commitment unto itself. First you have to learn how to space jB, then you have to learn how to space jA, then how to do stupid stuff like crouch under aerials and make people cry. Basically, you have to learn how to force people to fuck up, and you have to be extremely patient. On top of all the rest you have to learn. But, as someone who stuck with Satsuki, she can be quite fun. As long you like getting that one satisfying hit into BLOOORAAARRRHAAGHLEBALG AYE AM DEFEATER OF ENEMY. She has pretty much the same problems she had in MBAC. But the dash mitigates it somewhat. See, that style of play appeals to me, hence my use of Arakune in BBCS. And seconding of ABA in GG.

Also the changes to her throws aren't that bad since she has BETTER bite setups now because of the dash. You can actually do rebeatless setups.

As for the execution barrier. The regular BnB isn't actually the worst part. Try jB CH -> 2C (1 hit) -> 3C 623[A] -> Blahblah. Spacing that 2C is character and distance dependent. But, if you can do this right, you can do your AAD trap off a single CH.

:V

Still, this leads to situations like me sitting in the corner against HTohno for like 10 games in a row

Ex-Guard becomes extremely important for Satsuki because of things like this.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 11:39:42 PM by Abstract Nonsense »
[01:46] <@BNAK_OF_AFRIKA> would u get a foot job from mech hisui
[01:46] <MrTopHat> Depends, can the feet do anything
[01:46] <Coren> they have motor skates
[01:46] <MrTopHat> : |  [20:39] <Pfhor> I am going to murder all of you