When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Tick Throwing  (Read 5394 times)

Offline motoh

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 20
    • View Profile
Tick Throwing
« on: November 03, 2007, 10:22:13 PM »
Can someone give me a good example of how to do a tick throw setup, and an explanation of how it works?  I'm trying to cook up the article for the wiki.

~M

Offline ennvi

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Tick Throwing
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 07:00:12 PM »
Example of a tick throw setup:
2a xx throw

Simple enough, eh? It's pretty much prematurely ending a block string to dash in and throw.
"There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man—with human flesh."

The Official God FAQ.

Offline magz

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 18
  • An Genuflecting Hero
    • View Profile
    • FrozenHeat
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 07:36:36 PM »
Example of a tick throw setup:
2a xx throw

Simple enough, eh? It's pretty much prematurely ending a block string to dash in and throw.
That's basically it, but the notation used would lead someone to believe that the 2a is canceled into a throw, when, in fact, dash is buffered before/input directly after the tick's recovery since the tick will most likely put you out of throw range.

The reason why this works as a throw setup is that usually the "tick" is part of a blockstring/combo and, since the opponent expects more attacks to follow, he continues to block while you go for the throw.

Tick throws can be expanded to include whiffed ticks on wakeup or even random pokes that hit your opponent (eg: [5C] (1 hit blocked) -> 2A (lands) -> dash throw with sion) although the viability of the latter over a normal B&B is something that can be argued back and forth and is character/playstyle/situation dependent.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 07:42:13 PM by magz »
"Accent Core is perfection. It's like the concept of freedom captured into a videogame."

Offline c-nero 5[c]

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 13
  • another well-balanced masterpiece from frenchbread
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 08:55:42 PM »
At the end of the day I think you have to be pretty special to adapt a tick throw setup to a BnB on the fly.
<Irysa> arcana heart 3 just red ringed my 360 im not even joking
<Sabator> LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
<Sabator> BBCS RED RINGED MINE
<Sabator> FUCKING ANIME GAMES MAN

Offline Dracover

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 06:48:46 PM »
on a similar note are throws breakable?

Offline S-Blade

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 9
  • melty blade player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 07:13:50 PM »
If you mean a throw tech or somehow interrupting a throw (as if to circuit spark it or something), then no. This is what makes them useful; when stuff is being thrown around and you aren't confident in your ability to block or shield or otherwise avoid it, go in for a throw if possible and you've gained momentum. This is most useful against Nero's beasts, Kohaku's plants....etc.

They aren't that great though, because you can still avoid them....especially if they're a EX grab with a superflash. Oh, and if you ever go in for a throw, usually they'll still have the chance to throw you first. If they don't, you should be going in for the free combo unless it's a specific situation (Aoko's orbs everywhere or something).
"HERE'S A NEW TECHNIQUE - STOP BEING A RETARDED FAGGOT" -SprtJuice on smash scene

<kijea> im like really sad life faggot

Offline Dracover

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 06:45:34 AM »
kewl thanx. i was actually thinking about it in a defensive term haha i guess i'll just have to jab them out of it or something.

Offline motoh

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 06:45:01 AM »
I am come, crawling back like a newb, because I cannot generate an acceptable replay of this.  Any takers?

~M

Offline Tropsy

• Soul Hacker
  • Magic Circuits: 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 07:37:43 AM »
It's such a simple thing that I didn't really know what to record. Here, the tick throws in this replay are 2a (blocked) -> throw and 5b (blocked) -> dash throw. I think the idea should be clear, at least.

Offline motoh

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 07:40:22 AM »
... In retrospect, I guess I was thinking there's supposed to be more of a trick to it than there is.  I do apologize.

Much obliged for correcting my misunderstanding.

~M
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 07:45:44 AM by motoh »