ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Whiff?  (Read 6277 times)

Offline Tohno-san

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
    • View Profile
Whiff?
« on: June 15, 2009, 03:18:27 AM »
Could someone explain a bit of the fighting-game terminology to me - as well as the meaning of a 'whiff' attack?  ??? :mystery:
You're not smart. You're not a doctor. You're not a scientist. You're not even a full time employee. Where did your life go so wrong!?
--- GLaDOS

Offline LivingShadow

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 55
  • Sanity is overrated
    • View Profile
Re: Whiff?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 03:40:27 AM »
To "whiff" is to miss with an attack, it can be on purpose or not. When done on purpose it's usually to cancel some lag from a previous attack.

I guess I should explain "Lag" too. That would be the frames of an attack during which the attack can't actually hit. Ex. if Shiki's AD were to miss he has a huge amount of frames where he just goes through recovery animation.

Any more terms you need to know?

Offline Tohno-san

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 03:47:21 AM »
To "whiff" is to miss with an attack, it can be on purpose or not. When done on purpose it's usually to cancel some lag from a previous attack.

I guess I should explain "Lag" too. That would be the frames of an attack during which the attack can't actually hit. Ex. if Shiki's AD were to miss he has a huge amount of frames where he just goes through recovery animation.

Any more terms you need to know?

Ahhh! I see. Hm, a few. What are -
Blockstrings?
SJ's?
IAD's?
BnB's?
Bara's?

Sorry, it's alot, but I need the infos.  ;)

You're not smart. You're not a doctor. You're not a scientist. You're not even a full time employee. Where did your life go so wrong!?
--- GLaDOS

Offline LivingShadow

• Magus
  • Sanity is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 04:07:43 AM »
Blockstring-A set of attacks designed to keep your opponent in "blockstun" while building up meter
Blockstun-the blocking animation during which your opponent can't attack
SJ- "super jump" IIRC this refers to the 23678 command.
IAD-"Instant air dash" 6/4+a+b or 6956/4754 IIRC. It's another way to airdash
BnB-"Bread and Butter Combo" the basic combo for a particular character
Bara-"Bara cancel" this refers to using the 214d command then canceling it into another attack.

There's a few more things you might want to look at in the stickied thread on this board.

Anyone with more knowledge than me should feel free to correct me.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 05:30:20 AM by LivingShadow »

Offline Wurf

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 06:49:10 AM »
Blockstring-A set of attacks designed to keep your opponent in "blockstun" while building up meter

Not quite true. It is possible to use a blockstring like that, but you can also throw in mixups, delay your moves in order to bait counterpokes or jump-outs, or dash back in to basically restart your blockstring (which is usually done after a move with frame advantage).

http://www.meltybread.com/forums/game-engine-mechanics/what's-the-definition-of-a-blockstring/
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 06:52:40 AM by Wurf »

Offline LivingShadow

• Magus
  • Sanity is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 08:55:46 AM »
Thanks for the correction, in other words it's used to try to get your opponent to mess up a block or otherwise keep them on the defensive.

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 09:21:41 AM »
SJ- "super jump" IIRC this refers to the 23678 command.
A super jump is just 28 or 29.  In MBAC you will only do that long range forward jump, but in MBAA you also have a very high jump straight up you can do.

I think what he was getting at is called TKing or "Tiger-Kneeing" a move.  Basically, you are rolling a 236 move up into 9 so that you immediately do the aerial version of the move after getting off the ground.  This can be done just the same with 214 moves as well.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline LivingShadow

• Magus
  • Sanity is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 09:36:36 AM »
No, I was talking about the Superjump. For some reason that's the command I always used.

Offline Van_Artic

• Vigilant White
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • Haters Gonna Hate
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube page
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 03:05:06 PM »
I think what he was getting at is called TKing or "Tiger-Kneeing" a move.  Basically, you are rolling a 236 move up into 9 so that you immediately do the aerial version of the move after getting off the ground.  This can be done just the same with 214 moves as well.
am i the only one who can't t-knee with a ps2 pad? i mean no matter how many times i try it, it's impossible
<Zelretch> i would pay for a Kouma bedsheet
<Zelretch> seriously i wouldnt mind sleeping with PURE MASCULINITY

<ehrik> does ckouma have any hype combos <setrajonas> 2aaa <ehrik> damn that combo <ehrik> is too hard <ehrik> do you have anything easier

Offline LivingShadow

• Magus
  • Sanity is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 06:40:28 PM »
It's even harder on the keyboard. Thank goodness MBAC Arc doesn't have any strategies that require it.

Offline motoh

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 07:42:12 AM »
Van, you're either doing the attack too soon or too late.  Throw a replay at me and I can tell ya.

~M

Offline Van_Artic

• Vigilant White
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • Haters Gonna Hate
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube page
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 11:02:15 AM »
Van, you're either doing the attack too soon or too late.  Throw a replay at me and I can tell ya.
ok, i'll try something

any good example of a t-kneeing attack? akiha's j.236a? (in this case it would be 2369a, but how many delay i have to do it?)
<Zelretch> i would pay for a Kouma bedsheet
<Zelretch> seriously i wouldnt mind sleeping with PURE MASCULINITY

<ehrik> does ckouma have any hype combos <setrajonas> 2aaa <ehrik> damn that combo <ehrik> is too hard <ehrik> do you have anything easier

Offline motoh

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 12:15:33 PM »
Here's how it should look.  If you turn inputs on, you'll see the necessary delay.

Note:  The extra directions you see me putting in are a habit of mine I developed to avoid super jumping accidentally.  All you really need is the 236, jump and attack.

~M

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
  • Magic Circuits: 159
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
It's even harder on the keyboard.
This is not true. It's surprisingly easy to TK on a keyboard.

Also, good job, motoh. Nice way to show ppl how it works.