When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: [LAF] LastArcFinish Streams!  (Read 5420 times)

Offline HQ-Zero

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
  • ExHERRRROOOOOO!
    • View Profile
[LAF] LastArcFinish Streams!
« on: December 09, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
HELLO! Want to watch and yell at Two scrubs play Melty? You bet your sweet ass you do!
Zodiac and I are Streaming a few casual matches. Come one! Come All! and help us improve by yelling at us, Telling us how we're fucking up, and Calling us scrubby newbsauces!

But seriously, Zodiac and I are in need of improvement, so how about helping us out!

http://www.twitch.tv/hq_zero

The streams will be saved so go ahead and enjoy! ...or Cringe at the newbiness. Whichever is fine.

Offline HQ-Zero

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • ExHERRRROOOOOO!
    • View Profile
Re: [LAF] LastArcFinish Streams!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 01:35:08 PM »
Will be streaming Tonight at 9PM eastern.

Offline Roy-Kr

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 08:09:18 PM »
When is that in people time?

Zodiac, play a better Aoko.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 08:16:11 PM by Roy-Kr »

Offline HQ-Zero

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • ExHERRRROOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 08:23:58 PM »
US Eastern I guess. There's a recording of it on there since it already happened.
http://www.twitch.tv/hq_zero/b/346784531

Offline Roy-Kr

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 08:51:23 PM »
I'm thinking both of you need to fight somebody who'll punish everything you do wrong, while staying away from each other for a while.

Basics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxH-jEbYi2I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRdBIpOyaXk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dZBtb0kRfk

Go through it even if you think it's redundant.

Offline HQ-Zero

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • ExHERRRROOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 10:03:54 PM »
staying away from each other? you mean like just not playing each other?

Offline HQ-Zero

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • ExHERRRROOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 10:49:57 PM »
Ah I see now then. He's the only person I can really play against since I have no other players in my area. And the people I play on the IRC just ruin me and I don't feel like I really learn anything from it. I'd probably learn better combos if I had the time to go into training and grind it out. Today and yesterday were the first times I've gotten to play melty in months due to my job. But I love this game so much so I'm trying to make time for it.

Offline Roy-Kr

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 10:51:09 PM »
staying away from each other? you mean like just not playing each other?

For a little while, yeah. You let each other get away with too much bad stuff so you're not forced to make a change. It'd be interesting to see how you'd both change your play if you had 120 matches a day against decent players for a couple days straight and then played each other again.

If you're having fun the way things are then that's fine too, but I'm guessing progress will be minimal.

I'd probably learn better combos if I had the time to go into training and grind it out.

Basic combos are fine, focus on pressure instead if you have time for training mode.

Keywords:
Stagger
Whiff Cancel
Instant Air Dash

Canceling C normals into special is fine but nobody is gonna get hit by it if you do it every time.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:12:01 PM by Roy-Kr »

Offline TheMaster_Rahl

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 41
  • NC Texas Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 11:40:08 PM »
I noticed that you both seem to know a combo that works anywhere on screen. But, fail to confirm random hits, air counter hits, and air tech traps a lot. So you might try working on confirming those in your spare training mode time.

You both seem to go for air combos with chars that have very good set-ups you could do instead. (ie. F-Seifuku, C-WLen, H-Sion, F-Aoko). You might do some research into these char's combo potential and see how they might lead into set-ups. For example, learning C-WLen's EX-Ice combo, hitting the slide for knockdown, and doing sperm ball, or dash mix-ups, or the like. Experimenting with things like this in training mode could be worth your time.

You both seem to just do A into B into C into special, or do your combos as blockstrings when the opponent decides to block. With the chars that are not full moon, you might try to save your 2A/5A for reverse beats. For example, C-Ciel might do a string like 2A 2B 3B 5A... reset, or 2A 2B BE5C 5A... reset. Try and work more reverse beats into your blockstrings.

Right now, if either of you blocked on wake-up, you would take no damage, and reset to neutral, or punish an unsafe blockstring ender like 90% of the time. Reverse beats make your pressure scarier and last longer.

As far as neutral goes, you both need a lot of work with movement, and reads, and spacing things better, and punishing mistakes more consistently, and using more sensible pokes in any given situation. Unfortunately, the only way I know to improve this, is to play many different people, often, and preferably people that are better than you.

You should play with the standard timer, 99sec I believe. Playing with out the timer takes out an important aspect of the game.

You should try to play in person if you are able, and not netplay. But if your only source of comp comes from netplay, use it.

Hopefully, this was helpful to you both.

-TexasTim-

If you're having fun the way things are then that's fine too, but I'm guessing progress will be minimal.
This.

Edit: You might watch a lot of Japanese match footage. Seeing how very good players space, noting what pokes they use in situations, looking at the combos and set-ups they do, seeing how they respond things, all of this is useful if you can understand why they are making decisions. If you know the mechanics of the game, watching match footage can help you improve. You just have to think about why players make the decisions they make in matches, and apply that kind of thought to your own play.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:56:51 PM by TheMaster_Rahl »

Offline HQ-Zero

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • ExHERRRROOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 06:09:54 AM »
Thanks! I actually sent your post to Zodiac. We will probably be playing each other in person in a couple of days and I'm going to seriously keep this in mind.

Playing other people on the IRC normally gives me 5-8 delay and trying to block IADs/Low attacks on reaction really makes me want to throw my fightsticks into my monitor. Also with all of them being 3-4 times my skill level it's pretty intimidating.

I've rewatched the stream recording and I see what you're talking about with the blockstrings and needing to block more on wakeup.

I'll probably watch more japanese players, and study the wiki a bit more. We planned to do these streams every sunday just to keep ourselves playing or else we'll just get overly busy by other responsibilities.

Thank you for the input!

Offline TheMaster_Rahl

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 41
  • NC Texas Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »
Playing other people on the IRC normally gives me 5-8 delay and trying to block IADs/Low attacks on reaction really makes me want to throw my fightsticks into my monitor.
This is understandable. You will prolly not learn much from matches with this much delay, or ping above like 60-80ms or so. 1-2 delay is what you would try to look for on netplay.

Also with all of them being 3-4 times my skill level it's pretty intimidating.
This is true, but having someone you know is better than you to play against regularly can help you identify specific things you need to work on, and be a great way to gauge improvement.