hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Chasing the Phantasm  (Read 8323 times)

Offline LivingShadow

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 55
  • Sanity is overrated
    • View Profile
Chasing the Phantasm
« on: June 05, 2009, 10:10:19 AM »
I finally got myself a copy of MBAC and after the physics change from Mugen I'm starting to do much better with Arc compared to Warc. I attached some replays so you all can laugh at my attempts to pull off her combos.

Things I know I need to work on:
Bnb, especially ending them with airthrows
Closing in on Nero. His crouching attacks always seem to get me or clash my attacks.
Blocking

Things I won't be attempting for a while:
The wallslam combo, I doubt I could pull this off right now.

Offline HRGS|忍

• Niggaboo
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 46
  • All of the Lights in the Sky Are Stars.
    • View Profile
Re: Chasing the Phantasm
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 02:25:49 PM »
You just need some type of structure in your game. It seems you just swing your arms around in hopes of getting a hit. Also, there are times where your controller fucks up or you just stand there even though you can easily block what's coming to you.

This is what you need to learn/practice on imo:
- An easy blockstring. 2a-2b-2c-5a is a good one.
- 2c-3b combos. These are very very easy combos that can get your opponent in the air.
- Throwing. I may cut you slack on this if you're on keyboard but other than that, it shouldn't be too hard.
- Read up. http://www.meltybread.com/forums/index.php?topic=28.0
- Blocking comes with experience. You can't practice blocking when you don't even know what you're blocking. Just don't stand there.

Any more help and/or games, go to #mbac on EFNet on IRC (if you have a client, its easy to get one)
There are people who can help and new people you can play to help your blocking.
Black people vs. underage looking bitches at Evo - 9-1.
Me: "Show me ya papers!"
Jaxx: "Bitch, you illegal as fuck."
...and never forget. OTG STDs.  Check Akiha's Tea Room for updates on the Donjon Network 2nd Phase live action radio show!

Offline Yotsuyoru

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 02:42:35 PM »
The replays are bugged for me, the computer seems to not be doing what it did when you fought them.  I think you won them, since your input stops at the near end of every match. :mystery:

Offline LivingShadow

• Magus
  • Sanity is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 04:29:14 AM »
Interesting, I guess that the replays are bugged. And yes, I did win all of them.

You just need some type of structure in your game. It seems you just swing your arms around in hopes of getting a hit. Also, there are times where your controller fucks up or you just stand there even though you can easily block what's coming to you.

This is what you need to learn/practice on imo:
- An easy blockstring. 2a-2b-2c-5a is a good one.
- 2c-3b combos. These are very very easy combos that can get your opponent in the air.
- Throwing. I may cut you slack on this if you're on keyboard but other than that, it shouldn't be too hard.
- Read up. http://www.meltybread.com/forums/index.php?topic=28.0
- Blocking comes with experience. You can't practice blocking when you don't even know what you're blocking. Just don't stand there.

Any more help and/or games, go to #mbac on EFNet on IRC (if you have a client, its easy to get one)
There are people who can help and new people you can play to help your blocking.

In order:

-I'll work on it, currently I think I'm using 2a, 2b, 2c, 5c, 5b.
-I've gotten better at these, I'll work on them more.
-Yes, I'm using a keyboard, I think I'm getting used to the timing for throws but it will still take some practice to get right.
-Already done.
-I have a general idea of what I'm blocking but I think I'm being too agressive to be able to block well. Not that facing the CPU helps.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 07:01:08 AM by LivingShadow »

Offline HRGS|忍

• Niggaboo
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 46
  • All of the Lights in the Sky Are Stars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 04:11:35 PM »
Interesting, I guess that the replays are bugged. And yes, I did win all of them.

In order:

-I'll work on it, currently I think I'm using 2a, 2b, 2c, 5c, 5b.
-I've gotten better at these, I'll work on them more.
-Yes, I'm using a keyboard, I think I'm getting used to the timing for throws but it will still take some practice to get right.
-Already done.
-I have a general idea of what I'm blocking but I think I'm being too agressive to be able to block well. Not that facing the CPU helps.

Well, if the CPU doesn't help (and it shouldn't), go to #mbac. Players frequent there all the time and would be glad to help you. Also, your current blockstring isn't fluid. 5c cannot cancel into any normal moves and ends with a huge gap inbetween moves. 5b to 5c is much better and you can end that blockstring with 214a/b (which is elbow)
Black people vs. underage looking bitches at Evo - 9-1.
Me: "Show me ya papers!"
Jaxx: "Bitch, you illegal as fuck."
...and never forget. OTG STDs.  Check Akiha's Tea Room for updates on the Donjon Network 2nd Phase live action radio show!

Offline LivingShadow

• Magus
  • Sanity is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 04:42:16 PM »
I'll try that new blockstring (if I can get my muscle memory to change).

Any suggestions on taking on Nero? I can close in fairly well but once I get to him I either get beaten in clash or get pushed back by his attacks. My current thought is an aerial 6-4 mixup since most of his attacks have a huge hoizontal range in front of him but not behind. But that still leaves the problem of crouching b which hits behind him.

Offline LordPangTong

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 54
  • We troll hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 07:29:01 PM »
CPU Nero spams 2C. Just shield it on jump-ins, or don't do jump ins and dash at the guy on the ground. You should probably start playing human players ASAP, because the CPU does a poor job of raising competent players.
<justzar> great anime <3

Offline DivineArc

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 10
  • I played C-Arc before it was cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 10:15:18 PM »
CPU Nero spams 2C. Just shield it on jump-ins, or don't do jump ins and dash at the guy on the ground. You should probably start playing human players ASAP, because the CPU does a poor job of raising competent players.
Hes not lying  :V and I second that.
woof: like all the stuff i hear from them im like 'thats everything i had t o deal with back when i played'

Offline LivingShadow

• Magus
  • Sanity is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 04:04:59 AM »
I'm working on it. I'm trying to recruit some people I know for practice and possibly tournaments (which I'll post about here beforehand currently none are in the works).

And I know what you mean. The CPU is horrible, Nero never goes into j.c spam. Everyone else doesn't even combo properly.

Edit:I've almost got the bnb down, just need to tack on the airthrow reliably.
Edit 2:Finally got the 2c-3b bnb down including airthrow. Now to work on 2c-5c. I can also reliably get through arcade mode.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 07:27:23 AM by LivingShadow »

Offline LivingShadow

• Magus
  • Sanity is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 06:59:28 AM »
I've improved a lot over the course of the month. I can now do the 2c5c and 2c3b combos fairly well (although I have to mentally force myself to switch between them).

I've also got a couple of people in my area who may start playing more often, they haven't picked characters yet but one seems to be between Aoko and Sacchin.

Again, Replay attached so you all can laugh at me. Hopefully it will work this time.

Offline sumbody

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 08:59:26 AM »
Your opponent is pretty bad.

A few pointers in my opinion. Master these few essential combos. xx indicates starter of choice (2a, 5b, 2b)

The 4B relaunch, xx 2c 4b air dash jb/c 5b 2b (2c) 4b jb jc jb jc throw. Omit (2c) for nanaya, aoko, kouma

The corner combo, xx 2c 5c, 5a 5b 5c, 5a 5b 2b 4b jb jc jb jc throw. Your main source of damage.

5C SJ combos, xx 2c 5cc, depending on distance, you could then
a) air dash into jb jc jb jc throw (about half screen)
b) jb/jc into corner combo (from full screen to 3/4 screen)
Deciding which to do comes with experience, and by the time you do the 2c delay 5c, there's enough time to decide which combo is appropriate.

Another handy one would be the 4b into corner combo but the damage increase isn't really a lot.

Practice linking 236b 236b 236b into 623c as this is another important combo for Arcueid. Reps for the combos included below.

Generally, bring your opponent to the corner, and start you pressure game. Arc has combos that cover a lot of screen distance so carrying the opponent should be easy.

Pressure wise I suggest watching more videos of Japanese players like SII and You, and have a read on Tare's guide for blockstrings.

Here are some reps I did while messing about so you have a better picture of how the combos look like. Remember, its all about height control and delaying. So practice practice practice.

Most of the combos are match practical, except stuff in the flashy reps.

Offline LivingShadow

• Magus
  • Sanity is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 01:23:37 PM »
Your opponent is pretty bad.

A few pointers in my opinion. Master these few essential combos. xx indicates starter of choice (2a, 5b, 2b)

The 4B relaunch, xx 2c 4b air dash jb/c 5b 2b (2c) 4b jb jc jb jc throw. Omit (2c) for nanaya, aoko, kouma

The corner combo, xx 2c 5c, 5a 5b 5c, 5a 5b 2b 4b jb jc jb jc throw. Your main source of damage.

5C SJ combos, xx 2c 5cc, depending on distance, you could then
a) air dash into jb jc jb jc throw (about half screen)
b) jb/jc into corner combo (from full screen to 3/4 screen)
Deciding which to do comes with experience, and by the time you do the 2c delay 5c, there's enough time to decide which combo is appropriate.

Another handy one would be the 4b into corner combo but the damage increase isn't really a lot.

Practice linking 236b 236b 236b into 623c as this is another important combo for Arcueid. Reps for the combos included below.

Generally, bring your opponent to the corner, and start you pressure game. Arc has combos that cover a lot of screen distance so carrying the opponent should be easy.

Pressure wise I suggest watching more videos of Japanese players like SII and You, and have a read on Tare's guide for blockstrings.

Here are some reps I did while messing about so you have a better picture of how the combos look like. Remember, its all about height control and delaying. So practice practice practice.

Most of the combos are match practical, except stuff in the flashy reps.

In order:

Yes, I know he was bad.

4b relaunch and Corner combo:Ugh, these are going to be a challenge. But I'm sure I'll get them down eventually. My main problem with the corner combo is the getting in the 5a5b5c after the first wallslam.

5cc combos:I can do option a fairly well. For option b see Corner combo.

236bx3 623c: This is hard to input on a keyboard but I'll attempt it.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 03:16:00 PM by LivingShadow »

Offline sumbody

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 08:46:54 PM »
Do the first 4b as late as possible (in the relaunch), the jb/c after that should be done not too late nor too early.

Corner combo, 2c DELAY 5c, then 5abc, wait, then 5a 5b 2b 4b jb jc jb jc

Linking 236bx3 to 623c is easier on keyboard in my opinion, you just need to do the first 236b, then spam 26262626b and on the last 236b, do a 626C. (thats for keyboard, I've moved on to stick and I find it much harder to spam)

Watch the reps for a feel of timing, and pick a variation you're most comfortable with, then start practicing.

Good luck.

Offline LivingShadow

• Magus
  • Sanity is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 06:55:23 AM »
Do the first 4b as late as possible (in the relaunch), the jb/c after that should be done not too late nor too early.
I don't have any problems with the first launch, it's the jb/c that I'm having trouble getting in.
Corner combo, 2c DELAY 5c, then 5abc, wait, then 5a 5b 2b 4b jb jc jb jc
Easier said than done, I can never get the 5b in for some reason. I guess I'm yet to get the timing down for the 5c.
Linking 236bx3 to 623c is easier on keyboard in my opinion, you just need to do the first 236b, then spam 26262626b and on the last 236b, do a 626C. (thats for keyboard, I've moved on to stick and I find it much harder to spam)
I can do 236bx3 easily but it's the 623c that's the pain. I can barely do that one outside of combos.

This is what I'm going to be working on for the moment:
Perfecting 2aac5cc jbc jbc airthrow and 2aac3b jbc jbc airthrow.
General blockstrings, I'm currently using 2abc 5c (I don't know why I'm using 5c, I'll try to force myself to use 214b/a).
Doing 623a/b/c reliably.

I think the corner and relaunch combos are out of my league for the moment. I'll try to come back to them once I get more confident with what I have.

Offline LordPangTong

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 54
  • We troll hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 06:36:10 PM »
Not that using 3b in your combos is particularly smart, but if you're going to, try...

2A 5B 2B 2C 3B J.ABC DJ j.BC throw

That should get you at the right height every time because 3B's launch is a little hard to hit from normally.
<justzar> great anime <3

Offline LivingShadow

• Magus
  • Sanity is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 04:54:24 AM »
I usually don't have any problems with the height for the 3b combo. Although I have to admit it isn't optimal damage.

Edit:I tried it with 4b and it flows better but 3b has better horizontal range.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 05:35:43 AM by LivingShadow »