hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Warc side swap combo  (Read 3489 times)

Offline Nandeyanen

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • Nyoro~n
    • View Profile
Warc side swap combo
« on: January 13, 2008, 09:20:50 AM »
I was experimenting with Warc earlier today, and noticed how far j.2c launches other characters and was reminded of V. Akiha's j.c. With that in mind, I ended up with this crossover combo:
[2b 2c j.c air dash (cross under) jump cancel j.b (2 hits) j.2c] which does 3505 on Aoko.

Also, whilst experimenting, I believe I also managed to hit:
[2b 2c j.c air dash (cross over) jump-cancel j.b (1 hits) j.c j.2c] which did around 3668 if I remember it correctly (this was with criticals still on though, so I'm not sure if that's base damage). There's probably a more damaging combo, but my execution sucks, and I'm not even sure how useful this combo is for Warc.

Anyway, here's the replay of the first one I managed to hit while recording: http://rapidshare.com/files/83528284/Rep00.rar

I haven't seen this posted before, nor have I seen this in vids, so hopefully this isn't old hat.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 09:33:02 PM by Nandeyanen »

Offline Sledeau

• Spellcaster
  • Talk to the cello, bitch.
    • View Profile
Re: Warc side swap combo
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 07:18:20 PM »
Crossing under in a combo isn't very useful as warc because you can control which way her air throw goes, and you should be ending combos with air throw instead of j.2c anyways since it gives you more time to setup and does about the same damage.

Offline Nandeyanen

• Spellcaster
  • Nyoro~n
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 08:47:19 PM »
Actually, I thought so too. This combo does sacrifice around 1k of damage for positioning. J.2c launches your opponent further than air throw though, which could be used to launch them to the corner from more positions on the screen (Warc's air throw also reverses Warc's position if the opponent is not completely in the corner, putting Warc in the corner instead, which could potentially be bad). Unfortunately, I don't believe that Warc has any extremely abusable wall slam/loop combos that she can use while the opponent in the corner. However, there may be an inherent disadvantage for your opponent when they're in the corner since they lose some options, and some players/characters might have more of a problem escaping pressure in the corner than in the midstage. Still, don't know if the damage sacrifice is worth it, but I thought it was interesting and haven't seen it anywhere before, so I posted it.

Offline Sledeau

• Spellcaster
  • Talk to the cello, bitch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 08:23:20 AM »
Well, I can see one instance where you might end with j.2c. Since warc ends up on the other side of the person when she air throws (unless they go right against the wall), sometimes she'll be right by the corner with the opponent cornering her after the throw. In that case, a j.2c would send them straight to the corner. Most people still prefer to just use that opportunity to do a crossup or just jump to the other side, though, because j.2c usually doesn't even give you enough time to meaty. Without the threat of a meaty, a person can jump out as they want.

Having a person in the corner is an advantage for any character since the cornered person's mobility is limited. Its a pretty big disadvantage in Melty Blood since it involves so much moving around and its one of the only ways you can force your opponent to quit moving around so much.