When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Just starting to get hang of this  (Read 6721 times)

Offline Ryongi

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
Just starting to get hang of this
« on: December 26, 2007, 07:29:15 AM »
I haven't played MB:AC for very long. I'm using a PS1 controller and I've just played the game for fun without really thinking of any tactics other than basic combos. Akiha Vermillion's playstyle appeals to me and I was thinking. There are plenty of guides and strategy discussions but what would be the best place to start? Like what kind of aspects should I first try and master and so on.

Offline dakanya

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 31
    • View Profile
Re: Just starting to get hang of this
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 08:01:06 AM »
execution first imo (bnbs, TK ribbons, hit confirming)
thundering waterfalls

Offline Ryongi

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 08:36:23 AM »
Hm yea. I'm still having some problems with the aerial part of BnBs. Do you actually just mash buttons since everything has to be pretty precise with the double jumping and airdashing or would it be better to learn the exact timing for each input so you can just pull the entire combo without pressing the buttons more than needed?

Also, could explain me what TK ribbons and hit confirming is exactly about? I'm still not familiar with all the terms. D:

Offline motoh

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 08:39:04 AM »
TK flametongues or ribbons is a term for jump-cancelled 236(quarter circle forward) specials.  They're basically very low to the ground air ribbons.

A few wiki links:

http://wiki.meltybread.com/index.php?n=ActCadenza.Glossary - glossary of terms
http://wiki.meltybread.com/index.php?n=Characters.Characters - how to read our move lists
http://wiki.meltybread.com/index.php?n=ActCadenza.TK - Tiger Kneeing demonstrations and explanations.

~M

Offline dakanya

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 08:43:45 AM »
Hm yea. I'm still having some problems with the aerial part of BnBs. Do you actually just mash buttons since everything has to be pretty precise with the double jumping and airdashing or would it be better to learn the exact timing for each input so you can just pull the entire combo without pressing the buttons more than needed?

Also, could explain me what TK ribbons and hit confirming is exactly about? I'm still not familiar with all the terms. D:
Hit the buttons only when you need to. Hit confirming means being able to link that poke you landed into a combo.
thundering waterfalls

Offline motoh

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 08:44:49 AM »
+Heat Dakanya.  I need to add that one to the glossary.

~M

Offline Ryongi

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 08:57:21 AM »
Wow, I didn't expect that I understood the concept that fast. I followed the instructions on tiger kneeing and now I can do air ribbons almost instantly just by doing a half circle from down to up and pressing attack button. This is really cool : D

Thanks mates, I will probably have more questions as I discover new things so be patient with me. :p

Offline kasuya

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 12:17:09 PM »
Just to share a little, I realize when I play VAkiha, I tend to focus alot of getting the BNBs, mixups, staggers down. So much so I always neglect my defense, which is a big problem for me since VAkiha is the squishiest of characters.

That being said, I haven't fully perfected all my mixups and staggers so much so the opponent is always under pressure, hence the need to block or defend.

Food for thought: What do you veterans do when you guys are being pressured?

Offline magz

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 18
  • An Genuflecting Hero
    • View Profile
    • FrozenHeat
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 12:29:43 PM »
Block and wait for an opportunity. It'll come one way or another. It could be as small as a 2 to 3 frame window but you have to be prepared for it.

Some ways to escape pressure include:

• Shielding
  • Dodging
  • Backdashing
  • Counter-poking
  • Shield Bunker (V. Akiha's and Akiha's cause knockdown and also give her a low-profile stance.)
  • 236C (Has startup invuln + X amount of guaranteed flametongues.)
  • Heat (Very small hitbox - don't rely on too often)
  • Continue Blocking and Observe (An opponent who's had all his tricks figured out will be less effective at breaking your guard and offense in general. However, this strategy doesn't work too well with V because she can't take more than 3-4 combos without dying.)
  • Arc Drive (lol)
"Accent Core is perfection. It's like the concept of freedom captured into a videogame."

Offline Ryongi

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 11:55:33 PM »
Thanks Magz. Before I started AC, I actually watched your match videos for inspiration. I'm sure my friend will be a good practice opponent :p

Offline SanitysEclipse

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 06:27:29 PM »
Wow, I didn't expect that I understood the concept that fast. I followed the instructions on tiger kneeing and now I can do air ribbons almost instantly just by doing a half circle from down to up and pressing attack button. This is really cool : D

I'm also learning V. Akiha, but when I tried to do TKs I always ended up super jumping (Right term?), so I turned on the input and it's exactly as described above, but for some reason 23698+B doesn't work. I was taught that super jumps were 19, but it keeps doing it on 39 too. Is this normal?

Offline motoh

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 06:32:51 PM »
Yes, any down input will trigger a super jump.  Just hold the down input for over 8 frames and you'll be fine.

~M

Offline bucklemyshoe

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 10:04:31 AM »
I just got this game a few days ago and I'm kind of glued to Akiha Vermilion. I think I have her input basics down so my question is if someone can post up a few of her basic combos.

So far I've been doing A, B, 4C, C, 2C, 623+C, 214+C. Of course this has only been against the computer and I have no clue how good of a combo it actually is.

Oh yea, another question that probably makes me seem retarded but how do you throw in this game?
Nyan nyan, nyan nyan, nihao nyan! Gorgeous, delicious deculture!

Offline Sh1k1

• Vigilant Blue
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 43
  • 「これが… モノを殺すと言うことだ…!」
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 11:15:43 AM »
I'll try that combo later and see what's up, though something that bothers me is the fact that you use the C version of her Shouryuuken. :O

For throwing, you either hold 4 or 6 and press either A+D or Q.
FGO Friend Code: 221252074

Offline bucklemyshoe

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 11:42:29 AM »
Should I not be? I mean I know to switch to B if I have over 100 magic circut.
Nyan nyan, nyan nyan, nihao nyan! Gorgeous, delicious deculture!

Offline Merrubi

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 05:15:06 PM »
No else seems to want to respond. =<

You never really want to use 623C in combos since the damage is shit.  After trying your combo out, I suggest you switch right now.  For the 200 circuit you are burning, you are not really netting even decent damage at all.  On top of that, they can tech out of the like... 3rd flame hit on 214C (which is a pretty crappy ex in general)  so you don't get the knock down at the end, which V.Akiha really needs to set up her mix-up.

Go look in the combo/strat thread for her combos and their explanations.  Her simple global BnB does more than the one you are using right now, nets a knockdown into potential OTG/High-Low, and doesn't require any circuit.