When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: n00b here and his advice (worth a dime, at least!)  (Read 6064 times)

Offline ritchan

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
n00b here and his advice (worth a dime, at least!)
« on: March 16, 2008, 03:21:41 AM »
I can own pretty much anything my friend plays, except for his Nero, with whom he completed the Arcade mode on difficulty 5. So yeah, I'm still struggling in stage 2/3 in Arcade mode now.

Here's a few things I learned since I've been playing this:
Flametongue on the ground (QCF+B,C) is useless.
Pit's nice, but I get hit way too often.
Shield is useless.

And complaints/things I'm not sure of:
My reflexes don't allow for blocking. Good players, I think, block instinctively. Is that correct?
I am producing something valid on the screen, but I'm really mashing (repeating the combo sequence) the buttons until V. Akiha jumps after knocking the enemy into the air, for instance. I should play more cleanly. What do you guys think?
I can't pressure Nero when he's on one side of the screen, and me on the other side with him spouting reindeer and crows and ground monsters in my direction.
I cannot for the life of me pull off a Bunker Cancel. (insertmovehere)+QCB+D+(insertkeyhere) right? It only worked 5 times for me over a span of 2 hours. Are you supposed to be able to pull it off reliably?
EDIT: hehe... finally got to stage 4 in arcade mode.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 03:28:39 AM by ritchan »

Offline Merrubi

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
    • View Profile
Re: n00b here and his advice (worth a dime, at least!)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 03:47:10 AM »
Shield is useless.
...lol

Blocking is instinctive in the sense that you shouldn't be mashing all day to get hit by random shit.  Again with mashing for combos, hit buttons with purpose.  Otherwise you may/can/will get the wrong stuff occasionally when you don't want it, and when you do that with her you generally die.  When playing Nero, usually you want to play safe enough not to get hit by summons/random 4c.  Wait for him to mess up, get the knockdown, and lock him in the corner.  Bunker cancels pull you out of blockstun.  So it is: You getting hit -> shield bunker into whatever you are canceling it into.  She doesn't really have many good cancel options so I wouldn't really worry about it.

Arcade mode should be cake, comps don't block. =<

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 04:34:54 AM »
TK Flametongues (flametongues done just as you lift off the ground) are part of high level VAkiha play, practice it well.

Bunker Cancel gives you more hassle than any advantage, so if you can't pull it for the life of you, give it up. At your current level, you should be practising some basic BnB combos.
Keyboard crusher who couldn't pull off a proper BNB.

Offline MagnusXL

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • j.C Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 07:46:54 AM »
Correction: The AI doesn't block on wake-up and tries to throw you at the start of the match, even if you're no where near them. :teach:
Honorary BC Player.

Offline lrdalucard

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Isn't the flow blood sweet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 06:25:14 AM »
Honestly o.o
I like to train this way.

Level Dificulty: 5
VS CPU: Red Arcuied <- She almost act's like a pro with air combos and Air throws
I think is good training for starters XD.
I do that myself. 
No joking ^^ -> I did that during a few Hours I made it start playing Lv4->5 in same day o.o
(Ofcors >.> don't move so fast, rise one Level of dificulty each time u think u are geting strong
enuf to suport a higer level.

Pc is not bad choice at the start, but u ppl right. If u want to be "more pro" u should go out on in internet looking for some, hardcore players. XD (I sugest u go mirc channles, lokking for it)
Gl m8 =D

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 06:44:25 AM »
Correction: The AI doesn't block on wake-up and tries to throw you at the start of the match, even if you're no where near them. :teach:

Stick near them before the round offically kicks off, then back away a little. They will whiff their throw.  :V
Keyboard crusher who couldn't pull off a proper BNB.

Offline lrdalucard

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Isn't the flow blood sweet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 04:15:26 PM »
Honestly o.o
I like to train this way.

Level Dificulty: 5
VS CPU: Red Arcuied <- She almost act's like a pro with air combos and Air throws
I think is good training for starters XD.
I do that myself. 
No joking ^^ -> I did that during a few Hours I made it start playing Lv4->5 in same day o.o
(Ofcors >.> don't move so fast, rise one Level of dificulty each time u think u are geting strong
enuf to suport a higer level.

Pc is not bad choice at the start, but u ppl right. If u want to be "more pro" u should go out on in internet looking for some, hardcore players. XD (I sugest u go mirc channles, lokking for it)
Gl m8 =D

Offline Merrubi

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 05:34:12 PM »
Why Game dosn't have more Dificulty levels :| ... pitty...

Because it would be a bitch to program the AI to use/react to mind games.  Maybe incentive to play real people?

Offline Ultima66

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 06:40:47 AM »
Here's some pretty basic tips cause I don't play Vakiha cause not doing way too many Rebeats in a combo for her is impossible for me; I play Satsuki and Kouma cause I don't accidentally do stupid Rebeats with them like my random Nanaya j.C [j.A cause I'm stupid] 2C 5C [5B because I mash B before the jump] crap.

-Shield is NOT useless. It seems useless against computer because they attack really randomly. When a person gets in range for an attack they attack. Computers randomly wait half a second for no good reason sometimes. Learn to EX Shield some easy EX attacks like Mhisui j.214C and it'll help a little with timing for real shields.
-Blocking is learned by looking at the opponent and thinking. For the longest time I blocked low all the time and for some stupid reason STOPPED HOLDING DOWN WHEN THEY LANDED AND WENT IN FOR A SWEEP. Seriously my friend played Mhisui against me once when I was really bad and he did j.C which I missed blocking cause I was crouching, then he didn't connect it to anything and went in for a 2C to pick up a combo, and I stood up as soon as he landed, making the 2C hit.
-Flamepit setups are meant for you to use a blockstring in. Only use EX flame pit after you get them on the ground and they can't tech, and have a blockstring ready. Vakiha isn't too bad in the regard that mashing buttons can create pretty decent blockstrings, but at the same time you have to keep in mind that the moment you are too far for your next attack to hit them and keep them in forced block, they're gonna throw an attack back at you. Block it, counter it, shield it, whatever, the thing is you have to know what openings your opponent can possibly attack in, and get ready for a counterattack in those situations.
-Vakiha's flame tongues suck on the ground, Akiha's shouldn't be used on the ground either. Learn to TK them or don't use it.
-Don't be afraid to blow up a 22C flamepit a few seconds after you set it. It creates massive frame advantage if it hits or is blocked and just remember it's just a bit of meter. It's not hard to regain. I know it's always frustrating to burn 100% meter and only get chip out of it, but it's not a waste as long as you don't eat 4k damage back. Vakiha is all about not getting hit by forcing the opponent into not being able to do anything.
-Also try not to play against the computer. It's stupid and doesn't teach you anything. I can play Kouma completely wrong without using throws and do well, and play my fucking terrible Nanaya and get to round 73 in survival. The computer teaches you people don't block, and you'll get really frustrated when they do. It forces you to not learn any blockstrings and to not have any clue what to do when you're in a blockstring.
-There are no good simple Baras for Vakiha anyways, and it's one of the harder things to do in the game no matter what, so you shouldn't bother with it right now. I can't bara right now outside of practice and I don't mind it.
-Dash>Throw is fun. It's twice as fun when it's Dash>41236C for Vakiha or Dash>Kouma/Satsuki's EX throws. Lol I think Satsuki is even meant to do it cause 641236C is one of the only things that really cancel out of Satsuki's ground dash.
-Learn combos and blockstrings now. Learn to go into them from hitconfirm, and learn it well. I also don't play Vakiha because I can do her 623B loop easily enough in practice but can never get it off in a real battle. Also I am way too used to most bnbs and do launch>j.BC which ends the combo right there instead of doing anything that would be more damaging and gain me more meter. If you want top play Vakiha learn her combos well. You want to end the match fast with her because if you trade hitconfirms, you only get so many shots at combos since she has such bad defense.

Offline Lord Knight

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 71
  • Without love, it is lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 04:32:39 PM »
And that's what my thread is for.  :prinny:
Keep climbin', gotta get to the top

Offline noradseven

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 10
  • quick doctor what is the patients status?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 05:02:45 PM »
heh sometimes I still lose a round to AI when Im not paying attention I feel so bad cause normally I can beat them just by glancing at the screen every so often, and just doing my BnB over and over again and using the sound effects to figure out if it connects, sadly due to the fact that compies rarely block you can get away with this.  Plus I don't really know a single 2d fighter that has a good AI GGAC is pretty decent but not rape or anything.  soul cali 2's AI was stupid but it freaking counter/blocked every damn attack, and took forever to learn how to beat, and the VF5 AI when cranked up is also pretty freaking retarded good.

Plus its so entertaining with sacchin or kouma just to bait neros wolf and keep command grabbing him from a nice safe distance, stupid compies never learn.